• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Lovely Complex With New English Dub, Nanoha, Belladonna of Sadness, Chie the

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Does not this mean some of the forum "license Holy Grail" titles have been licensed? I remember Dual!Parallel Trouble among those that were mentioned in that thread.
I know I was definitely one person in that thread that mentioned wanting a Dual! rescue, and lo and behold, it happened! Quite pleased with it too. Will definitely be considering double-dipping.

Also, neat to see IGPX getting rescued, and having the Toonami version as well. I think that's going to make a lot of people excited, with the amount of fond memories and requests for Toonami to re-air IGPX sometime in the future.
loveliver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
dm wrote:
Does not this mean some of the forum "license Holy Grail" titles have been licensed? I remember Dual!Parallel Trouble among those that were mentioned in that thread.
I know I was definitely one person in that thread that mentioned wanting a Dual! rescue, and lo and behold, it happened! Quite pleased with it too. Will definitely be considering double-dipping.

Also, neat to see IGPX getting rescued, and having the Toonami version as well. I think that's going to make a lot of people excited, with the amount of fond memories and requests for Toonami to re-air IGPX sometime in the future.

Kinda late on IGPX. Discotek announced that license rescue back in 2014, and the 2016 DVD has both I.G and Toonami versions, and the same will happen here on the 2024 Blu-ray.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I assume they must have had to license it in some kind of bundle deal to get access to something actually desirable, because otherwise I can't see why any sane company would want to license Futakoi. It's painfully generic and aggressively mediocre. Futakoi Alternative is excellent, but it's not like you needed to watch the original first to be able to follow it, aside from ostensibly the same characters they have almost nothing in common.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Full Moon though, yeah, its stateside home video release was cancelled halfway due to possibly low sales (and that it was out on single volume sets), and an unfinished dub too. (But they did finish the entire sub officially on Hulu back nearly a decade or so when it was free to watch.)

FWIW, when the entire subtitled series was streaming on Hulu, it had some dub specific end credits all the way to the final episode (even some changes to dub recording staff in late episodes). Which gives me the impression they may have completed the dub. But for whatever reason, they never streamed the dub, not even the 28 episodes that were released on DVD.

blahmoomoo wrote:

wmderemer wrote:

My only gripe is it seems the original Hand Maid May OVA (a.k.a. episode 11 in Pioneer's release, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_Maid_May#Episode_list) is being left out, which is a shame because it was one of my favorite episodes of HMM... i haven't seen it in years, though,

I wonder if ANN got this part wrong, because the Twitter post didn't say Hand Maid Mai.

I think the writer for the article on ANN got confused on this part. The 11th episode of Hand Maid May was an OVA that Pioneer included with their release of the series in the first place (and was dubbed and all that). Hand Maid Mai is a separate thing that Pioneer/Geneon never licensed. I'm almost certain it's the former that Discotek means in their announcement.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:06 pm Reply with quote
A Takahata title, at last! Still hoping for Anne some day.

I have Belladonna, but a historical commentary by Toole of all people is mighty tempting.
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember when Sentai rescued Kurokami and assumed they would re-release it on Blu-Ray, but that never happened.

I guess I missed that Discotek released s-cry-ed on Blu-Ray in 2021, which was also picked up by Sentai at the same time as Kurokami, so maybe all of those Sunrise titles are eventually hitting Discotek at some point Anime smile + sweatdrop
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:08 pm Reply with quote
pengin senshi wrote:
I remember when Sentai rescued Kurokami and assumed they would re-release it on Blu-Ray, but that never happened.

It was actually released on BD by Bandai ...dub only. Probably because of reverse importation fears. While their DVD release was bilingual. So unless you wanted to brave the seas and get one of the dual audio rips out there, you had to either choose between worse picture quality or an incomplete release.
And as you said, Sentai didn't do anything with it when they got the license...
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
FWIW, when the entire subtitled series was streaming on Hulu, it had some dub specific end credits all the way to the final episode (even some changes to dub recording staff in late episodes). Which gives me the impression they may have completed the dub. But for whatever reason, they never streamed the dub, not even the 28 episodes that were released on DVD.

Yeah, I was also gonna bring that up too, I remember they did put dub credits on all of the episodes of their official sub stream, even the ones that they didn't dub through, and yeah, chances are, they probably did finished the dub (or otherwise), but yeah, its home video release being canned back then probably did Viz a number. Doubtful if the anime's license is expired (though they still have the manga) so that possibly in the future Discotek could pick it up.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
pengin senshi wrote:

I guess I missed that Discotek released s-cry-ed on Blu-Ray in 2021, which was also picked up by Sentai at the same time as Kurokami, so maybe all of those Sunrise titles are eventually hitting Discotek at some point Anime smile + sweatdrop

Imagine if we finally get Planetes and Infinite Ryvius!
anime-prime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Can't complain now about missing the remaining Lupin III TV specials as Sweet Lost Night's the last of them that had yet to receive any stateside release until last night's announcement from Discotek.

On the other hand, still wish they'd snag up Heavy Metal L-Gaim.
Unless I am mistaken, I think there are 3 others.

Lupin III: Princess of the Breeze - Hidden City in the Sky
Lupin III: Record of Observations of the East - Another Page
Lupin III (2015): Italian Game
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
It was actually released on BD by Bandai ...dub only. Probably because of reverse importation fears. While their DVD release was bilingual. So unless you wanted to brave the seas and get one of the dual audio rips out there, you had to either choose between worse picture quality or an incomplete release.
And as you said, Sentai didn't do anything with it when they got the license...

I should have been more specific about Sentai re-releasing Kurokami with bilingual Blu-Rays. I bought the Bandai Blu-rays for relatively cheap some time ago, but it would be nice to get a bilingual set, in addition to saving some shelf space versus the singles Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Prime: There's also the Lupin official parody from Frogman and the Lupin stuff in Mankatsu.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd see the day when Love Com got a dub, sooooo happy. Wish Rainbow got that treatment though, that's an underrated classic.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Some great release they've announced here. I probably won't double dip for Lovely Complex or Hand Maid May (unless it has the unreleased Hand Maid Mai...), but I'll definitely be double dipping for Dual! Very Happy

Might pick up Chie too at some point as it seems like it could be fun
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
I assume they must have had to license it in some kind of bundle deal to get access to something actually desirable, because otherwise I can't see why any sane company would want to license Futakoi. It's painfully generic and aggressively mediocre. Futakoi Alternative is excellent, but it's not like you needed to watch the original first to be able to follow it, aside from ostensibly the same characters they have almost nothing in common.

It's been admitted that "Mr. Discotek" tends to license a bunch of stuff at once (if possible) when making deals, hence why the guys tend to have releases as far as a year in advance in the pipeline, & why they only really make announcements when something's just a few months out, at most. They even mentioned before that they eventually had to ask Mr. Discotek to slow down on licensing for a while, just so that they can actually get through the backlog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5