• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Yu-Gi-Oh! Tournaments in Japan Updated to Ban Non-Japanese Nationals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
there's also the one time he got in trouble with people for using his characters to get political to the point he had to apologize for using the characters to say "The current administration is betraying the country, and I'm worried about the future of Japan! It's terrible!" right after the Abe administration was urged Japan to import more foreign workers back in 2019. A message of bringing people together could just be a "for Japanese people only" kind of thing.

Lest anyone speak for the deceased, please provide a citation that Kazuki Takahashi was referring to foreign workers in Japan. Abe's cabinet proposed the legislation in 2018, long before the 2019 political cartoon.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/05/2f6e0d37f0be-japan-to-welcome-500000-foreign-workers-to-help-plug-labor-shortage.html

This was a less controversial policy than others from the cabinet. (As the above source notes, the majority of those polled supported it.)
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Traptrix Lover wrote:
there's also the one time he got in trouble with people for using his characters to get political to the point he had to apologize for using the characters to say "The current administration is betraying the country, and I'm worried about the future of Japan! It's terrible!" right after the Abe administration was urged Japan to import more foreign workers back in 2019. A message of bringing people together could just be a "for Japanese people only" kind of thing.

Lest anyone speak for the deceased, please provide a citation that Kazuki Takahashi was referring to foreign workers in Japan. Abe's cabinet proposed the legislation in 2018, long before the 2019 political cartoon.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/05/2f6e0d37f0be-japan-to-welcome-500000-foreign-workers-to-help-plug-labor-shortage.html

This was a less controversial policy than others from the cabinet. (As the above source notes, the majority of those polled supported it.)

It's especially galling to pretend that Takahashi was against foreign workers when the actuality of the statement they're referring to was against Abe's conservative party and wanting people to vote them out in the upcoming July elections in 2019, and while he apologized for drawing his characters saying so he still defended the opinion he had them say (and never took down the post either).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

It's especially galling to pretend that Takahashi was against foreign workers when the actuality of the statement they're referring to was against Abe's conservative party and wanting people to vote them out in the upcoming July elections in 2019, and while he apologized for drawing his characters saying so he still defended the opinion he had them say (and never took down the post either).
Also like Takahashi has also been to US conventions and spoke warmly about his experiences with his foreign fans and there's tons of reasons anyone could be opposed to Abe like how Miyazaki famously opposed Abe rewriting the Japanese constitution to expand military powers. And Takahashi never stated why he was opposed to Abe but you can't just make up any reason post hoc. And outside opposing censorship of his art which I guess is now racist to do so or something, do people really think Takahashi had that much involvement with the card game and organizing the tournaments? This is clearly all on Konami.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pegasus at least had a sympathetic background and also upheld the terms of the tournament (unless that was something 4Kids added in the dialog).

The only change I remember 4Kids making to the anime is changing the original motive of Pegasus wanting to acquire Kaiba Corp to utilize their hard light hologram technology to make a duplication of his dead wife for him to see and touch her again to him wanting the Millennium Items to take over the world and also revive his wife with their magic rather than just live in some fantasy with her hologram. Although if we're talking about Takahashi's original vision then we'd go off the manga, which Pegasus gets killed by Bakura at the end of Duelist Kingdom and is never seen again where as in the anime he lives and comes back in future story arcs including the sequel series GX.

But I'm not sure I would classify simply holding up a legal tournament result as a redeeming quality given all the other things he did.

ATastySub wrote:

You're right that he never elaborated on his stance beyond "the current administration is betraying Japan", but 1) that kind of wording generally has nationalistic tones to it and 2)if you look at the policies being made around the time you can infer what he might have been complaining about.

But simply speaking out against Abe does not say anything about one's own politics or mean he was anti-LDP or anti-conservative at all. Just like today there's a lot of critics of Kishida and many people are salivating at the thought of him being voted out next election but that doesn't mean it's not a bunch of right-leaning people who feel Kishida is too soft and the next PM won't also be a right-wing guy.

I know some people hate the idea that their favorite creator might have politics against their own but if I had a gun to my head and were forced to say if Takahashi leaned left or right I would choose right just on numbers alone and the information we do have. Regardless, I think the best thing to do is to not invoke Takahashi's name here at all. So people probably shouldn't say things like Takahashi would not approve of this or what have you.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
do people really think Takahashi had that much involvement with the card game and organizing the tournaments?

Takahashi is the reason there's no cash prizes in official Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments. He never wanted the game to be played for monitary gain. I'd say he had a decent amount of say in how the card game was handled.

Also some of his artwork did eventually make it to to the TCG in the west with the "Lost Art" promotion which was about releasing uncensored artwork of cards in the west. It took over a decade but if you were willing to pay a bit more to see it you can now see the uncensored boobs he drew.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
Considering the main American in the series is a criminal cheater and gun-toting villain who wears the American flag on his head this seems pretty in line. I'm American myself and don't really care one way or another but I think there's some massive cope going on for people to not say something like that isn't a blatant political statement on it's own. Not exactly a subtle dig.

As for the rule itself I'm totally fine with it? Like, if it's to determine who represents Japan in the world championships then it makes sense they want it to be a Japanese resident.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:
But I'm not sure I would classify simply holding up a legal tournament result as a redeeming quality given all the other things he did.

I was primarily referring to his dead wife but yeah. But hey if Jounochi & Honda can start out bullying Yugi for no good reason and then be forgiven why not Pegasus?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Y'all really just be fine with making up that a dead man who's not here to defend himself is anti-foreigner based solely on fictional characters in a children's comic and he hated having his cards being censored. The final nail in the coffin of this conspiracy is Takahashi’s own statements condemning the Iraq war and hoping one day people could live without borders.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Y'all really just be fine with making up that a dead man who's not here to defend himself is anti-foreigner based solely on fictional characters in a children's comic and he hated having his cards being censored. The final nail in the coffin of this conspiracy is Takahashi’s own statements condemning the Iraq war and hoping one day people could live without borders.

The man dies in a sea tragedy trying to help save the lives of random people he's never met and people want to make up a guy that was super selfish and xenophobic to justify banning people from a damn card game.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm Reply with quote
It’s also overlooking the positive and sympathetic portrayals in Yugioh like Rishid and Ishizu and Rebecca and her father and there’s far more evil and selfish Japanese duelists in Yugioh than there are foreigners.
onpufan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It’s also overlooking the positive and sympathetic portrayals in Yugioh like Rishid and Ishizu and Rebecca and her father and there’s far more evil and selfish Japanese duelists in Yugioh than there are foreigners.

Rebecca and her grandfather are anime-only and do not exist in the manga.

I have no real dog in this race since I don't care which group Takahashi belongs to but just for reference the terms Takahashi used in his Instagram post were 「 売国政府 」baikoku seiken (traitorous administration) and「独裁政権」dokusai seiken (dictatorship administration) which are common dog whistles used by netouyo in Japan. Search 売国政府 right now and you will find a lot of conversations about the recent NTT law repeal in Japan and accusing Kishida of selling out to foreign companies like Blackrock. I can't find fault in people making the conclusion just like if someone in America start talking about the "deep state" and made assumptions about them based on that.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:49 am Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:

ATastySub wrote:

You're right that he never elaborated on his stance beyond "the current administration is betraying Japan", but 1) that kind of wording generally has nationalistic tones to it and 2)if you look at the policies being made around the time you can infer what he might have been complaining about.

Ironically, a prominent head of state five years ago asserted that "nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism," so it's quite possible to use similar wording in a statement either against or for nationalism.

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1061657617683111942?lang=en

By "policies" (plural), please elaborate on which policies Abe's cabinet was making in July 2019, besides the sole one cited above out of context and timeframe.

Quote:
I know some people hate the idea that their favorite creator might have politics against their own but if I had a gun to my head and were forced to say if Takahashi leaned left or right I would choose right just on numbers alone and the information we do have.

Please elaborate on these numbers and information.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:00 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
I have no real dog in this race since I don't care which group Takahashi belongs to but just for reference the terms Takahashi used in his Instagram post were 「 売国政府 」baikoku seiken (traitorous administration) and「独裁政権」dokusai seiken (dictatorship administration) which are common dog whistles used by netouyo in Japan. Search 売国政府 right now and you will find a lot of conversations about the recent NTT law repeal in Japan and accusing Kishida of selling out to foreign companies like Blackrock. I can't find fault in people making the conclusion just like if someone in America start talking about the "deep state" and made assumptions about them based on that.

In 2019, the phrase "売国" (Takahashi used the phrase 売国政権, not 売国政府) was used by other factions in Japanese politics, not necessarily the ones the posters above are assuming:

https://www.jcp.or.jp/akahata/aik19/2019-10-23/2019102301_05_1.html
https://www.sangiin.go.jp/japanese/joho1/kousei/syuisyo/198/touh/t198005.htm
King Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
However one views modern Japan, it doesn't have the characteristics used to define fascism.

Very few countries do. The word has lost all it's meaning these days to just mean the government did something they didn't like. Not being able to play in a card game tournament is not fascism; especially when it's a private company's own ruling and not the actual government forcing something. It seems a bit ridiculous this has gotten so much discussion despite being nothing more than a footnote mentioned in passing but it appears to have gotten attention because an English YouTuber in Japan complained about it so I suppose that's why. The true irony is this would probably affect Chinese and Korean people living in Japan more than American/European folks but I doubt anyone here or there care about that very much and we're just making it to be all about us because that's what we always tend to do. I assume the majority of Japan doesn't really view this as anything noteworthy though.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
It seems a bit ridiculous this has gotten so much discussion despite being nothing more than a footnote mentioned in passing but it appears to have gotten attention because an English YouTuber in Japan complained about it so I suppose that's why.

As previously noted, the original discourse on this topic was in Japanese.

King Chicken wrote:
The true irony is this would probably affect Chinese and Korean people living in Japan more than American/European folks but I doubt anyone here or there care about that very much and we're just making it to be all about us because that's what we always tend to do. I assume the majority of Japan doesn't really view this as anything noteworthy though.

The majority of Japan don't play Yu-Gi-Oh! (50,000 came to the game's 25th anniversary event), but arguably, the majority of Japan don't play any collectible card game, period.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d672b407d09575ff09ed0a2b74f8449b05b765f5

A majority of one country doesn't have to be involved in a particular fanbase to make an issue matter in that fanbase. That unrealistically high bar can be used to claim no issue in any one anime, manga, or game matters, since no anime (not Sazae-san), manga (not One Piece), or game (not Pokémon) has a majority of Japan in its fanbase.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The issue with foreigners in Japan has been mentioned, but this also reminds me of the Miss Japan controversy a few months ago where a white woman won the title of most beautiful Japanese woman (eventually stepped down after it was revealed she was involved in an affair). I wonder if that played any part in this decision and the huge backlash it got that a white woman was representing Japan in that and other companies are trying to avoid it in advance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5