• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (all seasons, OAVs, movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
yeah i was thinking the same thing. but i doubt it will be relevant to her or to the series. they probably just made her look similar to tease us. thou it would prove why the major was so interested to find out about the two.

the little girl didn't have a doll with her while she was at the hospital did she?
(in the intro of SAC u see motoko as a girl crushing a doll?!)

im gona have to have another look at that ep! Shocked
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
OMG just watched ep17 (red data)!

what is up with motoko and that kid....spoiler[she was almost naked and just sitting there talking to him!

then she's gets into bed with!! Shocked ....then he asks her if she can still have sex!
to which she replys "wana find out!" Shocked Shocked

wtf is she like a cradle snatcher or somthing!?!....]
lucky ass kid! Mad
Wellness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Space Pirate Kid wrote:
OMG just watched ep17 (red data)!

what is up with motoko and that kid....spoiler[she was almost naked and just sitting there talking to him!

then she's gets into bed with!! Shocked ....then he asks her if she can still have sex!
to which she replys "wana find out!" Shocked Shocked

wtf is she like a cradle snatcher or somthing!?!....]
lucky ass kid! Mad

Yeah, I heard the Major was a freak but that scene had me going DAMN!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The thing about episode 17 is that the writing was actually suppose to show a more maternal side of The Major (according to the interview between Kamiyama and Atsuko Tanaka, herself).

I mean, spoiler[ if you look at the way she took care of him and kind of nurtured his spunk and molded it into something less, uh.. spunky(?), then it sort of works out just like you'd expect for a mother to raise her son.]

Granted, spoiler[ walking around topless with nothing but panties and a towel on then offering to have sex with him was bizarre, but I knew he'd say no, as his initial personality and body language just didn't seem interested in that kind of stuff. Who know, maybe his adolescent hormones hadn't kicked in yet Razz. But if that were me in that position, hoo boy! Anime hyper]

Anyway, yeah, I've been through with this series for like, a week now. I just kept forgetting to post my thoughts. Needless to say, the ending felt a tad rushed, but that's what you get when spoiler[ crazy people try to instigate wars for the sake of whatever outrageous beliefs they have. It was kind of sad and bittersweet what happened to Kuze, but I was up in arms when they blew off Gohda's head! Twisted Evil]

I would so love to rate this Masterpiece, but I didn't like the aspect of spoiler[ that whole flashback between The Major and Kuze as kids with the whole "prosthetic ordeal" and "origami folding." The way it played out just didn't sit well with me as it made Kusanagi look more human that she should be. Of course, you could also argue the fact that this turn of events and her memories from back then prove she is human and not just a ghost in a shell, but honestly, it makes her look real weak that she still had somewhat of a soft spot for him.]

Then again, no one's perfect. I do have to say, though, that the writing is just really, really spectacular between all of the "Laughing Man" and Individual Eleven stories. That, and just the nature of the series itself is something I really like. I'm looking forward to Solid State Society, come later this July. Hopefully, I'll remember enough of SAC by then.
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
haha hey i im not complaining at all!
i really enjoyed the episode! (not just because of seeing her semi nude Smile )
but i could see the huge change in the writing, defiantly showed her more human side(i guess u call it), as well as the change of environment she was in and not to mention her clothing. seeings as thou we are all so used to seeing her and section 9 in such dark and ugly environments. seeing her walking around during the day in civilian clothes was a a breath of freash air! Very Happy

and yeah....if i was that kid..........well........id smash er!!! Cool Laughing

BTW whats this solid state society thing...is there gona be another series?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Solid State Society is the film sequel to the SAC series.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The thing about episode 17 is that the writing was actually suppose to show a more maternal side of The Major (according to the interview between Kamiyama and Atsuko Tanaka, herself).

I mean, spoiler[ if you look at the way she took care of him and kind of nurtured his spunk and molded it into something less, uh.. spunky(?), then it sort of works out just like you'd expect for a mother to raise her son.]

Granted, spoiler[ walking around topless with nothing but panties and a towel on then offering to have sex with him was bizarre, but I knew he'd say no, as his initial personality and body language just didn't seem interested in that kind of stuff. Who know, maybe his adolescent hormones hadn't kicked in yet Razz. But if that were me in that position, hoo boy! Anime hyper]

I would so love to rate this Masterpiece, but I didn't like the aspect of spoiler[ that whole flashback between The Major and Kuze as kids with the whole "prosthetic ordeal" and "origami folding." The way it played out just didn't sit well with me as it made Kusanagi look more human that she should be. Of course, you could also argue the fact that this turn of events and her memories from back then prove she is human and not just a ghost in a shell, but honestly, it makes her look real weak that she still had somewhat of a soft spot for him.]

Shocked That's is one of the reasons why you should rate it a masterpeice, I loved that episode and that aspect, the major was human to begin with and still is, I think people miss that. She is not a robot.

AS to the other part she is just a sexual creature and she acts that way because she can, they always comment on her body type choice, because it is a sex slave model. She definately uses her ass-ets
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
the review of the new GITS movie contradicts it self!(anime#6717)
its says its SAC, yet it refers to the puppet master as the main villan this time!?!

whats goin on?!?!
Shocked
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Both are true though in SSS he's actually called the Puppeteer, watch it and find out. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Hey, folks. Just an update, today is the release date for SSS, and Best Buy is selling the Limited Edition for only $12.99, that's almost 70% off the retail price! Got my copy already, so I thought I'd inform all GitS: SAC fans of the same deal Very Happy. Go get it now!
Trivial

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
SSS has only come out now in the US? I have been able to rent it for awhile here in Canada. I might just go and watch it tomorrow.

Also, there has been some discussion as to whether GITS might be continued. Here's to hoping the franchise might last longer.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Trivial wrote:
SSS has only come out now in the US? I have been able to rent it for awhile here in Canada. I might just go and watch it tomorrow.

Also, there has been some discussion as to whether GITS might be continued. Here's to hoping the franchise might last longer.

It was released today on Video by Manga Entertainment for R1 dvd. I got my copy on Saturday and check it out on Monday. I must say it's quite slick and l look forward to doing a write up for the movie in this thread in the coming days.
Zivil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Just got back from Best Buy. It looked like wild badgers had run through the anime section, but I was able to find a copy of SSS. Thanks for the notice, Tony. Nothing quite like instant gratification. Very Happy

I've noticed a bit more about what you were saying about Mary McGlynn, though her voice is perfect for Motoko in my opinion. I've been watching Noein in the Sci-fi channel and whenever Haruka speaks all I hear is Ninamori from FLCL (Melissa Fahn). Later, on Macross Plus, Goa is Batou from Ghost in the Shell (Richard Epcar) and the commander is Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop (John Billingsley).

Some voices are so distinctive (eg Spike Spencer as Shingi Ikari) that it is hard to separate the voice from the character or at least my preconceptions of the character. Crispin Freeman seems to be the exception, for me at least. Even though he usually has a prominent role in so many of the current releases, I rarely confuse one character for another, or prejudge what I expect his character to be like based on the sound of his voice.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Hey, folks. Just an update, today is the release date for SSS, and Best Buy is selling the Limited Edition for only $12.99, that's almost 70% off the retail price! Got my copy already, so I thought I'd inform all GitS: SAC fans of the same deal Very Happy. Go get it now!

WOWOWOWOWOWO!!!!!!!

Did you really get the Limited edition for $12?!! Shocked I just bought mine and it cost me $32 with tax. The regular edition is $12 but the limited is $29.99. Are you serious because I have to go back to best buy then and save me some $20.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
My best buy didn't have the limited edition, so I just got the regular one. ...

I liked it! I thought it was great! Before, when I read previews, I thought they were just going to recap the laughing man portion. I think I misread that!

I thought a spoiler[hardened Togusa was great! Right when Togusa brought his daughter to the hospital for cyberization, I was telling my computer monitor, DON'T DO IT! FIGHT IT!!! I do think he does a great job as a field commander, but he is no Kusanagi. I could sense the tension between him and Batou. Not because they don't like each other, but Batou is too clingy to the major.] Laughing

The spoiler[change] in Batou, also made the change in his car choice! spoiler[Is that a GT40 that I see??] New hairdo, new car! But his spoiler[attitude change was kind of disappointing, but understandable. His loner attitude wasn't something that I expected, especially after SAC, 2nd GiG, and the manga. In those three, he wasn't the loner, but more upbeat! I guess he misses the major too much.]

..All the while, when we see the major in her new terminal, I thought she was the puppeteer. Confused

edit!

And I think Togusa had his hair darkened!

Last edited by SuperOnizuka on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10