• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Although I seem to have a higher CE tolerance than you I still don't see why people think that Seed is so much better than Seed Destiny. All those reused stock footage and clip episodes in Seed really annoyed me, yet nobody seems to take notice of them until Destiny.

I can only speak for myself about this but I think it was a matter of dosage. I gave up SEED fairly early, somewhere between episode five and ten (because of the pacing) and didn't pick it up again until the two back-to-back recaps around 25 and 26. From there, I finished the series and went back to the earlier episodes I skipped. I complained a little, but I had other complaints which were higher on my list.

After SEED ended and I started watching Fafner (which I also gave up) and picked up SEED-D when it premiered, I got tired of seeing flat Macromedia/Adobe Flash looking animation with Hirai Hisashi's "copied from my earlier rejected work" excuses for character designs.

I was also very early on the bandwagon for complaining about SEED-D's pacing and characterization. I thought the first episode was fantastic and hearing Ikeda Shuuichi as Neo Roanoake grew on me, but only about a month or so into it, it wasn't just more of the same to me - it was a lot more of the same bad stuff they gave me a year or two ago.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Then again I would expect no less from someone with such a great avatar.

Thank you, thank you. I personally think Beltochika is greatly underrated, even if she is a whiny naive pacifist.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

I thought the first episode was fantastic and hearing Ikeda Shuuichi as Neo Roanoake grew on me, but only about a month or so into it, it wasn't just more of the same to me - it was a lot more of the same bad stuff they gave me a year or two ago.

Small correction, but I believe that Ikeda is Gilbert Durandal. This was also a neat novelty for me since he has such a distinct voice.

One of my favorite new things about the Zeta films is all the new footage with Beltochika in the beginning of the second film.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
ikillchickin wrote:
True. Also though, I think the problems in SEED were relatively isolated. You could get past the fact that all the character designs were very similar, or when there was a recap episode, suffer through it and then continue with the story afterwards, or even with reused animation.

BS #1 - You forgot that the characters were as flat as the animation, too. Granted, between the two series, easily I'd go with SEED over SEED-D, but the entire presentation of SEED left a sour taste in my mouth. There were a few action scenes worth watching and I like the music, but everything else is sub-par.

Well, If you feel that way then what I said doesnt apply to you. Its hardly BS though. Maybe you could not be so rude just because you disagree with me. I wont try to convince you that youre wrong. Many people did have problems with SEED outside of the usual complaints. (character designs, recaps, reused footage) However, alot of people also didn't have many complaints outside of that stuff. With Destiny however, it seems to be pretty universally agreed that Destiny had alot more problems than just character designs, recaps, reused footage. If you just flat out didn't like SEED though, its no suprise you didn't find it that much better than Destiny.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
And BS # 2 - The thing I hated about SEED the most is that the majority of the main cast had survived. In the rush to the end climax (probably Fukuda's only good sense of pacing), the battle is littered with bodies of supporting characters and two piss-poor homages to deaths from First Gundam.

Starting with Zeta, Gundam series have featured high body counts (even non-Tomino series) or at least traumatic deaths of main characters. SEED and SEED-D lacked both of these and should be relegated to the back seat like Gndam Wing.

The thing you hated most was the low death toll? Who else should have died and how would his/her/their death(s) have improved the show? I mean, far be it from me to defend SEED or especially Destiny, but body count just seems like an utterly arbitrary standard on which to judge a show. What does it add to a show to simply kill people off just for the hell of it? Would Zeta have been a significantly worse show if it hadn't massacred its supporting cast in the final five episodes?

Personally, I thought SEED actually went overboard killing people off at the end (incidentally, I felt the same way about Zeta). It seemed like they started killing people off just because, with no real rhyme or reason to it. Granted, obviously it's a giant battle, so there'll be casualties, but there's been a war on for the entire show and no one's died yet, so why now? Seems like people just started dropping to amp up the intensity of the climax and not because their deaths actually added anything to the story. And I'm talking about both SEED and Zeta here. Between the two shows, they did manage a couple significant deaths in those final few episodes, but Zeta's famed body count is mostly the same kind of nobodies that get offed at the end of SEED too. What's the difference?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
I got tired of seeing flat Macromedia/Adobe Flash looking animation with Hirai Hisashi's "copied from my earlier rejected work" excuses for character designs.

You're acting like Ryvuis and Scryed weren't among the most popular animes of their years... 99 and 01 respectively.....

Quote:
And I'm talking about both SEED and Zeta here. Between the two shows, they did manage a couple significant deaths in those final few episodes, but Zeta's famed body count is mostly the same kind of nobodies that get offed at the end of SEED too. What's the difference?

Ones by Tomino someone he "loves" and the other isn't.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Small correction, but I believe that Ikeda is Gilbert
Durandal.

No, you're right. I could have sworn that Ikeda was playing the masked man again.

zaphdash wrote:
The thing you hated most was the low death toll? Who else should have died and how would his/her/their death(s) have improved the show?

Actually, I think a Dearka death, if done right, would have helped with the 'war is senseless' theme. Dearka happens to also be one of the few characters I genuinely liked.

zaphdash wrote:
What does it add to a show to simply kill people off just for the hell of it? Would Zeta have been a significantly worse show if it hadn't massacred its supporting cast in the final five episodes?

I think of it like this - think about the film Saving Private Ryan. In the beginning, you've gone plenty of faceless minions buying it after disembarking the Higgins boat, hitting the beach, or moving up the cliff. Then the pace slows down and you get to know the characters and the grow closer to the narrative. The next thing you know spoiler[Vin Diesel is sniped]. I'm not saying every piece of literature featuring or revolving around war needs to copy this formula because there are plenty of fantastic war movies that do not; however, I find this to be one of the better set-ups for the theme that many Gundam series try and present. There are modifications to it, but I think a lot of the same point gets across.

Would Zeta have been worse without the high body count? A less enjoyable series, maybe; had less of an impact on me as a viewer, sure. But, with Zeta taking place so early in the chronology, it's in the back of my mind. I want to make sure that I'm not being misconstrued here - there are very few Gundam series like Zeta and I don't expect every series to emulate it. Zeta just happens to be one of my favorites and one of the things I liked about it was the climactic battle at the end where Tomino wasn't afraid of killing or maiming a good cast of characters.

I also don't want to be construed as hating SEED from the get-go or that SEED is immediately crap; I don't think that's the case. I've got problems with a lot of the production decisions, but I still managed to watch the entire thing. Yes, it left a sour taste in my mouth, being that it would take me a while to watch it again. But I came back for Destiny. And I'll be right there for OO this fall (though it's a different calendar and staff). I've look at SEED and I've looked at plenty of other Gundam series, and judging it on the merits I like, I didn't feel it was up to snuff; just a mediocre mecha series.

Westlo wrote:
You're acting like Ryvuis and Scryed weren't among the most popular animes of their years... 99 and 01 respectively.....

And I don't see much similarity between Ryuvius and Scryed's designs even to SEED. I'm sure when Hirai was put on staff for SEED, Sunrise had good reason; but looking at the progression of his designs from 2002-2005 (SEED, Fafner, SEED-DESTINY, Fafner (sequel)) it all seems to be far too recycled.

Westlo wrote:

Ones by Tomino someone he "loves" and the other isn't.

Nice slight there. Yes, I happen to enjoy Tomino's UC stories more than several of the AC stories but he's not above criticism or fault by any stretch.

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
There are those of us who diss GSD... The blame goes right straight to Mitsuo Fukuda and his wife Chiaki Morosawa. For me, it's gotten to a point where I can nearly say their names five times fast.

Going to orz - Swizz Cheese. Clicking "Fate / Stay Night" link. Going to "One reason why Fate/Stay Night sucked." Cope-quoting "Lajos Egri’s The Art Of Dramatic Writing:"

“There is only one realm in which characters defy natural laws and remain the same - the realm of bad writing. And it is the fixed nature of the characters which makes the writing bad. If a character in a short story, novel, or play (or in this case, anime and/or visual novel, or game) occupies the same position at the end as the one he did at the beginning, that story, novel or play is bad.”

Seed was a mixture of the original and Wing with the added sex micro-scene. (And it'll probably get crushed by Double-Zero's fame.) Destiny was merely a creation by a franchise machine and a couple of emotionally fragile otaku. IGNITED. Rolling Eyes

But what truly saddens me is that this ultimate mistake (of creating an otherwise interesting male lead of Shinn Asuka from a tragedy suffered by everybody) caused by $unrise will probably never be fixed. Actual in-studio story-creating will never be $unrise's forte.[/i]
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
of creating an otherwise interesting male lead of Shinn Asuka

Funniest thing said in this thread so far.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
“There is only one realm in which characters defy natural laws and remain the same - the realm of bad writing. And it is the fixed nature of the characters which makes the writing bad. If a character in a short story, novel, or play (or in this case, anime and/or visual novel, or game) occupies the same position at the end as the one he did at the beginning, that story, novel or play is bad.”

I'm never going to listen to someone's lecture on the art of writing when they themselves use the word "bad" 3 times in a single paragraph. It's lazy writing.

In any event, there are many examples of well-executed writing in which the protagonist remains at the same place as he/she began.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Nice slight there. Yes, I happen to enjoy Tomino's UC stories more than several of the AC stories but he's not above criticism or fault by any stretch.

It's all good as long as you realize that, some Tomino fans are completely fucken hopeless though. I remember when the second op for destiny came out which showed every character naked (though you didn't see anything) and you had countless variations of the following

"They're doing this for ratings, blah blah blah Tomino would never stoop to something so low"

Of course I just laughed and said Brainpowered (which was waaaaaaaaaaay more revealing, naked chicks showing their tits everywhere in the OP), end of discussion.

Speaking of Brainpowered I really wish the show was as good as the music provided for it, pity Tomino made it for all the wrong reasons.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's all good as long as you realize that, some Tomino fans are completely fucken hopeless though. I remember when the second op for destiny came out which showed every character naked (though you didn't see anything) and you had countless variations of the following

"They're doing this for ratings, blah blah blah Tomino would never stoop to something so low"

Of course I just laughed and said Brainpowered (which was waaaaaaaaaaay more revealing, naked chicks showing their tits everywhere in the OP), end of discussion.

Speaking of Brainpowered I really wish the show was as good as the music provided for it, pity Tomino made it for all the wrong reasons.

Naked people in OP and EP are as Japanese as apple pie and the blues are to us Americans.

WOW, though. All of the sudden; the topic of how "SEED Destiny is made by some blithering losers" had gotten turned into the topic of "the real blithering losers are Tomino and his fans for not changing with the times."

Respect goes to any man who puts up a fight until the end (which Tomino did). Now the otaku have "Moe Gundam" (which is SEED and Destiny). And afterwards, the heads of $unrise complained that they "can't sell Gundam outside of Asia." Hmmm... I wonder why....
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
That might make sense if they had more than one series that was more than semi-successful in america.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Respect goes to any man who puts up a fight until the end (which Tomino did).

What fight? I don't recall Tomino ever going on any campaigns to "save poor, poor Gundam" from Sunrise. He winged Victory back in '93 because Sunrise was desperate to avoid bankruptcy and bugged him to, he did Turn-A because he felt like revisiting Gundam for (what was supposed be) his last go at it, and he did the Zeta movies to celebrate Gundam's 25th anniversary. That's pretty much it.

Tyrenol wrote:
Now the otaku have "Moe Gundam" (which is SEED and Destiny).

I don't think you have the slightest clue what 'moe' even is.

Tyrenol wrote:
And afterwards, the heads of $unrise complained that they "can't sell Gundam outside of Asia." Hmmm... I wonder why....

After SEED? Sunrise and Bandai have been complaining about not being able to sell Gundam in North America ever since they screwed up their big UC blitz after Wing. They failed just as much to push UC (and G, for that matter) as they did to push SEED, so it really has nothing to do with the assumed superiority or inferiority of one Gundam title over another. It was bad marketing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
Respect goes to any man who puts up a fight until the end (which Tomino did).

What fight?

He smashed a Gundam model on the floor stating "This will be my next Gundam!" That fight.

Nagisa wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
Now the otaku have "Moe Gundam" (which is SEED and Destiny).

I don't think you have the slightest clue what 'moe' even is.

All arguments aside about 'moe," the last thing I want is anything too cute when I'm trying to watch a serious anime war drama.

Nagisa wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
And afterwards, the heads of $unrise complained that they "can't sell Gundam outside of Asia." Hmmm... I wonder why....

After SEED? Sunrise and Bandai have been complaining about not being able to sell Gundam in North America ever since they screwed up their big UC blitz after Wing. They failed just as much to push UC (and G, for that matter) as they did to push SEED, so it really has nothing to do with the assumed superiority or inferiority of one Gundam title over another. It was bad marketing.

Okay. "Seed and every other title afterwards." As for G Gundam; that show was honest enough to admit that it wanted to be a plain-old Super Robot show.

Those of us who wanted to return to the "Real Robot" roots had been mislead into believing that SEED and Destiny would do that. But, in the end, we had gotten what Mr. Tomino was complaining against: Moe Gundam. Overweight hygiene-challenged otaku blobs who had spent their lives watching anime, going into the business of creating anime, and then turning to the R1 market as they go "Watch This And Pay For It."

Forgiveness is not something a company like $unrise deserves.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
He smashed a Gundam model on the floor stating "This will be my next Gundam!" That fight.

Any credible sources on this, or is it yet another piece of Tomino fanboy heresay? Given how many outlandish claims there are about Tomino among English-speaking anime fans, and given how much of it has been proven fictional, I'd like a cite on this.

Tyrenol wrote:
Okay. "Seed and every other title afterwards."

SEED and every title preceding it. Dude, I don't think you're getting it. They released Mobile Suit Gundam over here within a year after Wing finished and it bombed. 08th bombed. 0080 bombed. 0083, Char's Counterattack, G, they all bombed. And THEN SEED came along. SEED isn't a unique international failure, nor did it set any sort of precedent that ruined Gundam releases after it. It was just one more victim of BAD MARKETING, which ruined the entire Gundam franchise post-Wing and was the fault of Bandai, not Sunrise.

Sunrise is merely the animation studio. Bandai is the one that does all the marketing and merchandise for the shows they produce and dictates what sort of direction its various properties should take. If you want to complain about an entity squeezing money out of Gundam, try pointing your rage at the correct target and stowing that obnoxious "$unrise" crap. It's not clever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9