• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Precure, Digimon 02 Added to Direct2Drive Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I want season one of Digimon on DVD. Sad That show = nostalgic love. I wonder what the chances are of Disney ever releasing subtitled, uncut DVDs of it.... Probably never gonna happen, but one can always dream...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh boy, I can't wait to support the industry with lagitimate purchaces of subtiled media that I want!

What's this? US and Canada only? Why, go f*** yourself, Toei, I'm going back to D*** fansubs to watch Digimon uncensored.
Remember, Toei, you could of had my £15 but you had to go and do region bockclocking.

No one, and I mean no one, can c*** it up fantasticly quite like how Toei can.

EDIT: Well screw that, I can't now because D*** are the decent bunch that follow the rule of "Is out and uncut". The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.

Don't blame Toei Animation. I mean how many good popular partners are out there that they can turn to that don't rely on region-blocking? Seriously, I see so many people bad-mouthing Toei Animation about this when it's not really their fault and it's ridiculous.
Who has the rights to Digimon/PreCure/FoTNS etc? Is it IGN? No, it's Toei.
Toei has the meens to choose who gets to distribute the show.

Toei chose to go with a company that engages in Region Blocking and have hence punished non american users who may want to support the industry with thier money (which, I may state with a bit of arrogency is worth up to twice the amount of US Dollars) and will more likely than not sit on thier podeums and complain "OH WHY DO N@T U SUPPORT US! YOU GO TO FANSUBS BAWWWWWWWWW!". And all I can do is place my hand on my plam and wonder.

Hence, Toei have thier name all over this it's thier ball, they threw it into Mr Jones' yard.

godofchaos wrote:
HIkaru is a one time typo, the rest of the time it's Hikari.
I wouln't allow that "One time typo" for a bloody fansub. Then again, this is Toei.
Toei "Lets change a set of chracters in Sailor Stars and hence be unable to release the final series of Sailor Moon" Animation.

Toei "Lets get the same people who translated and voiced Bayblade to do our R1 dvds and then wonder why no one wants them and then take our business back up our own asses" Animation.

Toei "Let's give One Piece to 4kids, yank the rights back and wonder why it's not doing Naruto numbers with Funimation" Animation.

Toei "DER~" animation

The only reason they are even remotely allowed to be this fantasticly retarded is because they have Dragon Ball.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
Thankfully, I have the Southweat Asian English dub of Digimon on VCD, so I don't need to worry about their lousy site. But as far as Pretty Cure goes, the Odex English dub is actually really good. If Toei really wants Precure to take off, they could just import that and save themselves alot of money.

And you're right, the reason so many people hate Toei is because the tend to have a very poor grasp of the Western market.
hollowmoon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
hollow: It ain't Takeuchi who's holding up Sailor Moon here.

Oh, I'm fully aware of that. I think Naoko was dissatisfied with Stars. Maybe not the manga storyline, but possibly the anime. When Sailormoon was re-broadcasted on TV in Japan there was NO merchandise from that series, which if I recall, didn't even get re-aired.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but if I recall there were rumors at the time that Naoko was unhappy that the 3 Lights were boys that changed into girls, when in the manga they were girls all the time.

Anyway it's all a total shame because Stars is a fantastic series.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Toei chose to go with a company that engages in Region Blocking and have hence punished non american users who may want to support the industry with thier money (which, I may state with a bit of arrogency is worth up to twice the amount of US Dollars) and will more likely than not sit on thier podeums and complain "OH WHY DO N@T U SUPPORT US! YOU GO TO FANSUBS BAWWWWWWWWW!". And all I can do is place my hand on my plam and wonder.

This rant doesn't completely work simply because some of these shows are being released in other countries, either through TV or DVD. They aren't screwing non-R1 watchers, at least not the way you're implying. They're trying to make sure that whatever version of the show that airs in other countries doesn't have competition. I expect PreCure airs as a children's show (edited) wherever it airs, and that it makes money that way. Companies are notorious for not wanting an unedited version competing with the edited version of a moneymaker. The only reason it's in R1 this way is because no company here wants a cartoon aimed at girls for air and they're asking way too much or have unreasonable conditions (such as a tv deal) for a license for an anime company to pick it up.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

This rant doesn't completely work simply because some of these shows are being released in other countries, either through TV or DVD. They aren't screwing non-R1 watchers, at least not the way you're implying. They're trying to make sure that whatever version of the show that airs in other countries doesn't have competition. I expect PreCure airs as a children's show (edited) wherever it airs, and that it makes money that way. Companies are notorious for not wanting an unedited version competing with the edited version of a moneymaker. The only reason it's in R1 this way is because no company here wants a cartoon aimed at girls for air and they're asking way too much or have unreasonable conditions (such as a tv deal) for a license for an anime company to pick it up.

Pretty Cure aired completely uncut on Jetix Spain a few years back.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
It isn't the same process, it is the same encodes just with subtitles added.

Video encoding doesn't work like that. The subtitles are hard coded into the video (wmv doesn't support softsubs) therefore they had to have been overlaid BEFORE the final encoding process.
I'm 99% sure that the people at Toei basically do the exact same thing they do for their rental encodes except add in an extra step "overlay subtitles" in their filter chain.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
On a side note, it seems Toei finally got around to updating their site with the new show info: www.toei-anim.com/ondemand/prettycure.html

But egads... the horrible engrish and translation mistakes in the character profiles. "Nagisa transforms into Cure Black by slashing her Pretty Cure Card in the Card Commune her partner Mepple transforms into."

yes, that's on their site.

In the 10 character descriptions I count 15 translation, typographic, or grammatical errors.

When I finally buy this episode after my TV gets fixed I'm not sure I'll be able to watch it.

Oh, actually to anyone who has watched it: How did they translate that one part in episode one where Nagisa uses a Japanese expression incorrectly:
Nagisa: (literal translation) I wish I could scrape the dirt from under her fingernails, boil it into a medicine and eat it!
Rina: Don't you mean drink it?
Nagisa: Whatever!

I sort of americanized it a long time ago since it's an obscure Japanese idiom (it means "to want to be like" someone).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Well, as a Britt, who has the money (and the sence, or lack thereof given the DRM Typo nightmare that would of awaited me) I certainly can not just turn my tv on and watch Precure edited (Nor do I want to but that's not the issue here) because we're more or less tied to what the US airs (and even less when you concider Jetix balk at the idea of VIZ's Naruto editing practice half the time) and it's very very rare that we get anything above el americano (Astroboy 2k3 (That one never got a boxset over here ether), Strange Dawn, that's just about it) and if a show doesn't get on el Americano then us tea sippers can more or less forget it.

As for digimon, I enjoy that show (Not Zero two as much but then that's the standard) and would love, well, anything in english, realy. A boxset of even the dub would be nice. But here we have big old bad Region Coding that defys all logical falicies making a massive cockup of the whole deal.

But whatever, I guess I'll just go though the illegal routes if Toei realy doen't give a damn about me.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
Just to be concrete, although Pretty Cure has AIRED almost everywhere in the world except for the US, Canada, and the UK, to my knowledge the only international DVD releases are mandarin chinese dub/sub (not bootleg) (you see these a lot on yahoo.jp auctions, they are legit imports, though), and German (which I think were dub-only, but don't quote me on that).
The Odex english dub that aired in singapore, the korean dub, the italian dub, and the spanish dub all have NOT had DVD releases (or VCD releases) to my knowledge.

This, if anything, increases the frustration since there are a large number of Pretty Cure fans from these regions that have never had a legal way to OWN the show before.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
firecrouch wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh boy, I can't wait to support the industry with lagitimate purchaces of subtiled media that I want!

What's this? US and Canada only? Why, go f*** yourself, Toei, I'm going back to D*** fansubs to watch Digimon uncensored.
Remember, Toei, you could of had my £15 but you had to go and do region bockclocking.

No one, and I mean no one, can c*** it up fantasticly quite like how Toei can.

EDIT: Well screw that, I can't now because D*** are the decent bunch that follow the rule of "Is out and uncut". The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.

Don't blame Toei Animation. I mean how many good popular partners are out there that they can turn to that don't rely on region-blocking? Seriously, I see so many people bad-mouthing Toei Animation about this when it's not really their fault and it's ridiculous.
Who has the rights to Digimon/PreCure/FoTNS etc? Is it IGN? No, it's Toei.
Toei has the meens to choose who gets to distribute the show.

Hence, Toei have thier name all over this it's thier ball, they threw it into Mr Jones' yard.

godofchaos wrote:
HIkaru is a one time typo, the rest of the time it's Hikari.
I wouln't allow that "One time typo" for a bloody fansub. Then again, this is Toei.
Toei "Lets change a set of chracters in Sailor Stars and hence be unable to release the final series of Sailor Moon" Animation.

Toei "Lets get the same people who translated and voiced Bayblade to do our R1 dvds and then wonder why no one wants them and then take our business back up our own asses" Animation.

Toei "Let's give One Piece to 4kids, yank the rights back and wonder why it's not doing Naruto numbers with Funimation" Animation.

Toei "DER~" animation

The only reason they are even remotely allowed to be this fantasticly retarded is because they have Dragon Ball.

Again, don't blame Toei Animation for the DRM stuff. Toei Animation Inc. doesn't have their own in-house made download service, they don't have the resources for it because this was done by Toei Animation Inc., which is basically in an office in Los Angeles, not Toei Animation in Japan. I don't think their focus was on the world market, since it was done by their North American headquarters. If you want to download their anime, talk to Toei Animation Europe. Toei Animation's strategy never was to release everything internationally all at once, so quit complaining.

And about the service they used, I ask you, what other popular download services could they have used in the North American market? They probably went after Direct2Drive because a lot of anime is already up there that's selling well in the first place, so it's a sound business decision the way I see it.

Plenty of fansubs I've seen have typos in them, even the good ones. Still doesn't excuse Toei Animation though.

Toei Animation isn't wondering why "One Piece" isn't doing "Naruto" numbers with FUNimation, I don't know where you got that from.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Here's the bottom line though, I has monies, but now they go to other things.

Course, I could utter something totaly bitter about how Toei want the whole deal to fail between Typos, Region Blocking and such but I'm the bigger man and will only hint to my utter distaste.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Here's the bottom line though, I has monies, but now they go to other things.

Course, I could utter something totaly bitter about how Toei want the whole deal to fail between Typos, Region Blocking and such but I'm the bigger man and will only hint to my utter distaste.

Whatever, I'd just advise against complaining when the complaints aren't that well justified.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
godofchaos wrote:
It isn't the same process, it is the same encodes just with subtitles added.

Video encoding doesn't work like that. The subtitles are hard coded into the video (wmv doesn't support softsubs) therefore they had to have been overlaid BEFORE the final encoding process.
I'm 99% sure that the people at Toei basically do the exact same thing they do for their rental encodes except add in an extra step "overlay subtitles" in their filter chain.

No one ever said they were soft subs.

What I'm saying is, they added subtitles to the video. The source videos are the ones used by Toei for rental in Japan a few years ago. I was just saying the source files weren't reencoded, they simply added subtitles to them, then encoded that. The video is IDENTICAL to the rental service.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
As for digimon, I enjoy that show (Not Zero two as much but then that's the standard) and would love, well, anything in english, realy. A boxset of even the dub would be nice. But here we have big old bad Region Coding that defys all logical falicies making a massive cockup of the whole deal.

Maximum has restated releasing the season 1 dub on DVD, and cheaply too, here in the UK. While they stalled the last time they tried this they have at last gone beyond what was released by Fox Kids on VHS and as far as episodes that were never released on home video even in the US. There's no guarantee they won't stall again but at least they're making a go of it.

I am still very annoyed at the region blocking on the download service. Does it run by IP or by the address you register with?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6