• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Cracks Down on Bootleggers at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
yoh wrote:
Sure, I think it's great that these companies are cracking down, but I really don't see any profit coming from it. The only thing that will happen is more of the international crowd being a little irked that Americans are shutting down some of their pathways to the market. I guarantee that Bandai will only see profit increases because the market is growing in the US, not because they shut off HK bootlegs. Other than that go American Licensees!

Well Bandai Entertainment is a subsidiary of Bandai America, which in turn is a subsidiary of Bandai Co. Ltd. in Japan. So who knows if the word to crack down came from on high or a little bit closer to home. Still, I think it's a bit different if Bandai cracks down compared to FUNi or something, since they have anime interests in both Japan and the US.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's about bloody time.

I realize until they can crack down on the bootleggers in their native countries, they will still be able to get through, but for heaven's sake, at least take down the sites and retail shops that sell them.

I've already sent them the information on our local bootleg seller, complete with PDFs of thier forums stating how they get around cease & desists. We need these guys taken down or the legit small shops will not survive.
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
There will always be exceptions, but it still makes for a good rule of thumb. Some Japanese DVDs have subtitles, a few even have english tracks, but these are still very few and far between.

Emerje

My point was that IF the DVD is region 0 and has English & Chinese tracks, run for the hills, it's obviously a bootleg.

But that Region 0, by default, does not always equate bootleg (just most of the times Wink).
redbeangirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.

I admit I'm a bit torn on the whole bootleg issue....

On one hand, I wholeheartedly want to support American companies that are bringing the anime industry to the US. Particularly the ones who take the time to put together high-quality translations, watchable dubs and interesting DVD extras. Good stuff, and I want them to do well.

On the other hand, many of those companies are releasing discs that have only three or four episodes each, and are rarely less than $25 a pop. For a long-running show like Rurouni Kenshin or Inu Yasha, that adds up to hundreds of dollars. And if you're a student (or an underpaid production assistant, such as myself) that kind of spending isn't an option. I admit that I've bought HK boots of several series because I wanted to own them, but couldn't justify spending an entire week's paycheck on DVDs.

If American anime importers are genuinely interested in elbowing out bootlegs, they might want to consider the finances of their demographic when deciding how many episodes to put on each disc, and how much those discs will cost.

*sighs* alas, somehow I don't think it'll work out that way ^_^;;
Abel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
s-girl wrote:
Himemiya wrote:
House of Anime has bootlegs? O.o What type of bootlegs was HOA caught with?

In addition to renting out DVDs that were not legal releases even after the legit ones came into market, their CD collection is comprised primarily of SonMays, EverAnimes and Alion.

HOA is known for distributing bootleg items to other vendors. I was talking to Great Eastern recently and their concerns were if they could counter the distribution HOA has. They are still concerned if their products are popular and recognized.

Quote:
Their wallscrolls and posters also appeared to be not from Japan but of the sort that many other vendors carry (printed in Hong Kong or Taiwan).

Their pins as well. Sample of bootleg pin.

For years I have been sick of HOA violating convention policies in that they smuggle in bootleg pins and sell them under the table. Japanese pins normally run about $4.50 and having to import them raises the cost. They will sell for much more then the bootleg pins. I could say for right now the best way to tell if a pin is bootleg is the price. If it is less then what a Japanese one runs for ($2-$4) that is a sure sign. This will change however as domestic licensed pins are coming soon.

Another clue is that they are just plain UGLY.

Japanese Tapestry are rarely made anymore. I am very happy the Hagaren one I had at AX sold out. When wholesale on bootleg tapestry/wall scroll is $4 from Taiwan it is hard to compete when the licensed ones from Japan are $15.00. I still was sad when a few years ago fans would ask me why we no longer offered legitimate "wall scrolls". The bootleg market killed it as it has killed the market for pins.

It is tough. You don't get in this business to make a ton of money. I've done it for the love of the hobby. Back in 93 when bootleg ran rampant at some cons and the legit Japanese items vanished I decided to start up a business to bring those items back. It's tough. You have many fans attack you for your prices and do not care to hear any justification for selling legitimate items. I am pleased and have to say that it is about damn time someone like Bandai did something about it.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah. I too am rather glad they're crazking down. I msyelf can't remember ever getting any bootleg anime. Not sure aobut some HK movies. I know I picked up some bootleg old TV shows and some eps of Japanese Spiderman on VHS, but thsoe were nice and crappy bootlegs.

Anyway, the only thing I got close to bootleg anime are fansubs which I do hope to replace with the US DVDs (with hopefully good dubs). Well, at least the shows that I like and whatever I can afford.

I do admit that I used to buy those $10 bootleg music CDs at cons. I stopped that a while ago. If I want to check out a CD not out in the US yet, then I download the mp3s. If I like it, I'll wait to buy the US vesion as it seems the damn is breaking and they're finallying coming out here legitly by US companies. Hell, Geneon is releasing the Tsukihime soundtrack. (Though I belive they also did annouce the series.) I do try to grab them on sale though. I hate paying like $15 or more for a CD, even for US bands. I do still have a number of CDs to rebuy since I got ones from teh likes of EverAnime or other bootleg companies.

-Xenos
AnimeAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey all!

I saw this post and thought it would be an interesting one to start with... first off.. i read alot that HK Bootlegging is tied to a mafia group, or Triad, or something... Personally, its sort of hard to think about some HK Triad leader talking to a group of thug-heads saying 'OK, guys! We're going to hit the market big with this one! Forget about Ice, Cocaine and all those other old fashion ways to make money. We're going to sell boot anime!' I have a feeling its just some punks in a wooden shed who has access to a dvd press in HK that want to make a buck or two... literally... i mean, boot dvd prices are dirt cheap... you'll need to move a helluva lot more volume than McDonald's to make anything significant. The boot people even put there email addresses on the screen right in the middle of the anime. What kind of mafia discreetness is that?

I guess I'm looking for an official news report or solid documentary that can prove otherwise. It just bothers me to read people spout about anime's ties with a major crime org. Its just anime.

As far as a stance on bootlegs, I actually asked a guy who was selling the stuff as I've always wondered why shops carry them anyways. He said he didn't want to sell it, but it was the only way to make any type of money in the anime biz because the domestic stuff is pretty pricey for his target market and the markup isn't that good. His target was teenagers and young adults, where most said they'd much rather wait a week longer and save their allowance and buy the latest video game ($45 - $50) which would last them a week or so than buy the latest anime dvd ($25-$30) which would only last 90 min (extras are no reason to buy a dvd). The store owner assured me that for every dollar he earned, he re-invested in domestic dvd's. Looking at his shelves, he only carried a small handful of the more popular boots that hadn't or had just barely been licensed... around 10 different titles. His domestic DVD selection was probably around 500 discs and growing. "Right now, surviving as a small shop, import dvd's are the only way to get by while the prices of anime are still pretty steep."

He also reminded me that even with his target audience, anime is still a niche market, and taking away the boot dvds, wallscrolls, and Music CDs from a small anime shop's inventory would kill them. Sure anime cost $60 for two eps. in Japan, but thats a Japanese market where anime is main stream. In the US, you're able to get LotR: Return of the King 2-disc special edition with 3 languages, subs and a tankload of extras for $19.99. 3 dinky anime episodes can hardly compare for $29.99.

I guess one of the US dist. companies is going to need to pull a 'Tokyopop' on the industry and start selling dvd's at a more reasonable price (like Tokyopop stomped Viz in the Manga biz with a $9.99 tag on new titles). Who ever does it first might find their face on the cover of Forbes Small Business just like Levy (hint hint ADV).

whew... I'll call it a day with this post.

Laterz,
AnimeAngel
hellsfire119

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
this site is funny, you guys are your sponsor is selling bootleg which is anime castle lol all of you who work at this web site are morons. you guys are talking about how bad bootleg are and your main sponsor selling it................ speechless

[EDIT - If you read back a few pages you'd read the justification for it, and since you have neither a command of English nor the ability to politely dissent, you're banned. -C]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
redbeangirl wrote:
Hmm.

I admit I'm a bit torn on the whole bootleg issue....

On one hand, I wholeheartedly want to support American companies that are bringing the anime industry to the US. Particularly the ones who take the time to put together high-quality translations, watchable dubs and interesting DVD extras. Good stuff, and I want them to do well.

On the other hand, many of those companies are releasing discs that have only three or four episodes each, and are rarely less than $25 a pop. For a long-running show like Rurouni Kenshin or Inu Yasha, that adds up to hundreds of dollars. And if you're a student (or an underpaid production assistant, such as myself) that kind of spending isn't an option. I admit that I've bought HK boots of several series because I wanted to own them, but couldn't justify spending an entire week's paycheck on DVDs.

If American anime importers are genuinely interested in elbowing out bootlegs, they might want to consider the finances of their demographic when deciding how many episodes to put on each disc, and how much those discs will cost.

*sighs* alas, somehow I don't think it'll work out that way Anime smile;;

There are a lot of us, who have very tight budgets, and yet still find money to buy legal anime. For instance, if you only buy a dvd or two at a time, you can afford to collect a series a bit at a time. If you want to decide to go out and buy all of Kenshin at one time, or course most students can't afford it. Who said you have to buy them all at once? I have a couple of grand worth of anime dvds (all legal) that I have collected, while not making very much money at all. As for legal dvd's being $25 or more, there are many websites that sell them for less, not to mention many stores. I don't understand how you can justify not spending your money on the legal dvds, but somehow it is ok to go out and spend your money on illegal, crappy ones. Not to mention putting money in the hands of thieves.

As to ep count, I've already gone over the costs of all that is involved in licensing a show, production, dubbing etc. They have to make this money back and also turn a profit. If they decide a show won't sell well enough and therefore needs to have a lower per disc ep count to make money, then that's what they have to do. 4 eps is pretty much the standard anyway.

Lastly about them considering the finances of their customers, perhaps we should instead consider the amount of money they spend to bring us these shows. The people that work for these companies are just trying to earn a living, and unlike say a hollywood movie, each dvd sold really matters in terms of the company staying around, they can't afford to take loses.

Just a random though:
I don't see anyboy giving me a new car for half price because I don't have any money.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAngel wrote:
i mean, boot dvd prices are dirt cheap... you'll need to move a helluva lot more volume than McDonald's to make anything significant. The boot people even put there email addresses on the screen right in the middle of the anime. What kind of mafia discreetness is that?

Well, when you consider that it hardly costs them anything to make the boot, it's easy to to make money back.

animeangel wrote:
As far as a stance on bootlegs, I actually asked a guy who was selling the stuff as I've always wondered why shops carry them anyways. He said he didn't want to sell it, but it was the only way to make any type of money in the anime biz because the domestic stuff is pretty pricey for his target market and the markup isn't that good. His target was teenagers and young adults, where most said they'd much rather wait a week longer and save their allowance and buy the latest video game ($45 - $50) which would last them a week or so than buy the latest anime dvd ($25-$30) which would only last 90 min (extras are no reason to buy a dvd). The store owner assured me that for every dollar he earned, he re-invested in domestic dvd's. Looking at his shelves, he only carried a small handful of the more popular boots that hadn't or had just barely been licensed... around 10 different titles. His domestic DVD selection was probably around 500 discs and growing. "Right now, surviving as a small shop, import dvd's are the only way to get by while the prices of anime are still pretty steep."

If he can't afford to buy/sell legal anime, then why doesn't he perhaps get into another business, perhaps the video game market? Surely one must know what prices they will be paying and what their markup will be before they open a business. I wonder if there is a sign over buy the bootlegs informing people that they are illegal, so that n00bs that don't know any better won't come over and buy something they don't know that they don't want?

animeangel wrote:
In the US, you're able to get LotR: Return of the King 2-disc special edition with 3 languages, subs and a tankload of extras for $19.99. 3 dinky anime episodes can hardly compare for $29.99.

And how many millions did LotR make at the box-office before it was release to dvd? Perhaps that's why it's a bit cheaper than anime. And if you're paying $29.99 for a 3 ep disc then you need to go online or find a better store. I can go to Best Buy and get a 5 ep disc for $20 any day of the week.

animeangel wrote:
I guess one of the US dist. companies is going to need to pull a 'Tokyopop' on the industry and start selling dvd's at a more reasonable price (like Tokyopop stomped Viz in the Manga biz with a $9.99 tag on new titles). Who ever does it first might find their face on the cover of Forbes Small Business just like Levy (hint hint ADV).

We're already paying the lowest prices we ever have for anime, and they're pretty good if you consider what I said above. (about how the only way amercian companies make any money back is buy selling dvds)

Forgive me if I sound upset with you, but this has been an ongoing debate for several weeks, and I've posted quite a bit on the topic already.

So I'll end by saying Welcome! Smile
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Use other means if you must own such long running shows. The bootleggers don't have to pay anyone anything, thats why it is $25, because they only need the dvd production and none of the back end. There are some series that area bit unreasonable at a single season. For a long time Trigun was hovering at $200, now Pioneer has re-released it for lower, around 140 at many places. Other series in nice box set form that are cheap are often quite old and have little work done. Robotech's big plastic boxs are around $60 or less per series. Several less than 26 series are now found around that. That's reasonable. I personally find buying individual dvds to be a waste and will always wait. I have friends who bought some series a disc at a time, and ended up pay over $200, versus me buying it in box for around $100.
When you want the longer series you need to decide if you need it right away, or if taping the TV version is good enough. If you NEED it, pay for it. Looking around for sets gets you deals. Buying retail same day gets you hosed. Other options include anime clubs. I run the club at my university. We have a large lending library availible, many other clubs do too. Lending libaries let you extend your dollars much farther, I've seen so much more thru my club then I would any other way.
As for Boots and Triads,
The folks who make the HK and Taiwan dvds and import them to the states are tied to organized crime. The importation is the big thing, using routes for bootleg dvds these folks will send containers that sometimes have bootlegs, some times boots, and some times far more illegal items. The neighborhood folks might using it to surivive, but there are some scummy folks at the top.
redbeangirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

There are a lot of us, who have very tight budgets, and yet still find money to buy legal anime. For instance, if you only buy a dvd or two at a time, you can afford to collect a series a bit at a time.

And I plan to, when they start releasing the FMA DVDs this christmas for instance. But I admit -- when I've already seen a show by borrowing DVDs from a friend, and want to have a copy for myself to be able to go back to and lend out to others, I just can't justify that much money out of my budget. With a show like Kenshin, it was either buy a HK set or don't buy it at all.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not trying to claim righteousness here. More that I'm explaining that it's a diffucult place to be in. Be a good citizen, but limit myself to the handful of discs I can afford? Or buy legit discs for movies, OVAs and more current series, and submit to temptation when it comes to older shows that I've already seen?

I know, I suck. But I have reason to.

Kazuki-san wrote:

Lastly about them considering the finances of their customers, perhaps we should instead consider the amount of money they spend to bring us these shows. The people that work for these companies are just trying to earn a living, and unlike say a hollywood movie, each dvd sold really matters in terms of the company staying around, they can't afford to take loses.

And like I said, I want to support those companies and help them to do well. But which would be better for them -- lose a lot of money to bootleggers because of the high cost and low value (in terms of episode count) of their discs? Or lower their prices, beef up their content and thus drastically increase the volume of discs sold?

On this count, at least, they could learn a few lessons from the music industry. People want to buy legit products, provided they can afford to.

Kazuki-san wrote:

Just a random though:
I don't see anyboy giving me a new car for half price because I don't have any money.

True. Which is why many in that position would opt to go for a cheaper, if inferior, model instead.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
redbeangirl wrote:
Be a good citizen, but limit myself to the handful of discs I can afford?

Exactly, just like most of us do, there are plenty of dvds I'd love to go out and buy, but I can't afford. Do I really want them.. yes, but I also have to stick to a budget, which means I have to save up to go buy them. And you'll have to forgive me for wondering why if you have already seen a show, you cannot save up money and buy the legal releases as you can, instead of going and getting the whole thing as a boot.

redbeangirl wrote:

And like I said, I want to support those companies and help them to do well. But which would be better for them -- lose a lot of money to bootleggers because of the high cost and low value (in terms of episode count) of their discs? Or lower their prices, beef up their content and thus drastically increase the volume of discs sold?

Lowering their prices may increase sales some, but it wouldn't be drastic. Anime is a small market, lowering prices won't increase the size of it. What good would it do for them to lower prices, if it causes them to lose money and no longer afford to bring series over here?

redbeangirl wrote:

True. Which is why many in that position would opt to go for a cheaper, if inferior, model instead.

You seem to have missed my point. There's nothing wrong with going with an "inferior model", so long as it's legal. But the point is if it's the car that you want, you save up the money to get it. If you decide that you want the cheaper, legal model than that's fine, but you don't buy a stolen car from someone.
Abel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I was told that the minimum amount required to make the domestic boards that are provided in DVD is 15,000. That is a pathetic amount when compared to how many copies a Hollywood film or TV series DVD are produced. You can charge less cause your costs are less due to the bulk. Prices have already dropped from what they were years ago. As the market grows I can see prices changing. Also there are online shops that sell at wholesale prices to the public. This is why as a vendor I do not care much for the saturated DVD market. We do ok on manga but since we are a specialty shop and offer imported character goods (licensed) as well as doujinshi we do ok.

Quote:
Just a random though:

Good point. I often tell fans who complain or attempt to barter on import items to negotiate with the vending machine and get me a soda for 50 cents instead of $1. It's not like you can go to the market and say "The prices of these eggs is too high. You can do better right? Cut me a deal"

Abel- for the next example, lets use the price of gas.
AnimeAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

If he can't afford to buy/sell legal anime, then why doesn't he perhaps get into another business, perhaps the video game market?

I can see where you're coming from, Kazuki-san. He said he was actively looking into the video game business anyways. I just felt bad that small players like him couldn't make a decent living off the thing he truly loved. Big box stores like Best Buy would surely put him out of business if all he had to rely on was domestic stuff.

Kazuki-san wrote:

And how many millions did LotR make at the box-office before it was release to dvd? Perhaps that's why it's a bit cheaper than anime. And if you're paying $29.99 for a 3 ep disc then you need to go online or find a better store. I can go to Best Buy and get a 5 ep disc for $20 any day of the week.

Hmmmm.. well, when you put it that way.. how many millions of dollars did anime do in Japan before coming over to America? You'd think that maybe studios in Japan could license at a more reasonable price.

Kazuki-san wrote:

We're already paying the lowest prices we ever have for anime, and they're pretty good if you consider what I said above. (about how the only way amercian companies make any money back is buy selling dvds)

Lowest prices, yes. Reasonable, not really. Sure you can find cheaper prices online, but now you've got to wait 3-5 days before you can even watch it? Most people just can't wait, and really they shouldn't if distributors want to successfully market their goods.

This guy's store is the only one in town, and I'd hate to see it change as I've grown so accustom to it. Its my Anime mecca Very Happy I'd hate it if Best Buy was the only shop in town that had decent prices on anime. They're selection is normally pretty dry, too. All the good stuff is always gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9