• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Gotta love AS's sense of maturity. Wink

Huh? AS didn't make Geass, or do anything to the scene.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
Gotta love AS's sense of maturity. Wink

Huh? AS didn't make Geass, or do anything to the scene.

I think he was talking about the comment on the video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah this has nothing to do with [adult swim] or their level of maturity, though this episode and that scene did air before Code Geass got moved to its current graveyard time slot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Takai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I was going to watch this series since I heard a lot about it on the internet and heard adult swim had pick it up but got turned off at the terribly late time slot they gave it. Adult Swim really is killing off anime now... I guess I'mma just complete watching Batman: TAS and then pick up a dvd of this... Hope it's worth it.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
It was episode 12, and AS did broadcast it. The clip is even a featured video on adultswim.com's video section.

O_O

That's... outright obscene...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
O_O

I'm curious; if it was so obscene, how did so many people manage to overlook it when it was aired on Adult Swim?

By the way; the table is actually called Table-kun. Amazing how a brief cameo can land hundreds of Nina X Table-kun doujin appearances. Yikes.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
But it's a canon pairing! Razz
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm curious; if it was so obscene, how did so many people manage to overlook it when it was aired on Adult Swim?

It happens, even I managed to miss it when it was on. I happened to be in an irc chatroom and we were all watching the show, I missed it replying to something and had to use my DVR to rewind it back and see what the hell everyone in the chat room was freaking out about. I also had to turn up the brightness on my screen as well. Its not a well lit scene either, so its entirely understandable if someone didn't catch on to what was happening when it did happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I think he was talking about the comment on the video.

Yeah, and that they chose to highlight that one particular scene out of the series as one especially worthy of note. Not that it isn't. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
But it's a canon pairing! Razz

No, I'm pretty sure that she forced herself on him......
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
O_O

By the way; the table is actually called Table-kun. Amazing how a brief cameo can land hundreds of Nina X Table-kun doujin appearances. Yikes.

My guess is that guys areen't too familiar with spoiler[methods of female masterbation] and just think "Eh? What the hell was that?" and dissmiss it. At least that's my excuse anyway. It was obvious when I rewatched it on AS since between since I'd watched the fansubs and since then. I was...erm...*cough*more educated*cough*. You can't properly interpret what you know nothing about, especially given the minimal lighting. Anyhow, that only explains guys though. Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Anyhow, that only explains guys though. Confused

Eh, some guys. Call me a pervert, a sicko or whatever, but not every male is entirely ignorant when it comes to stuff, er, down there. I knew exactly what I was seeing the first time through. In fact, I was in a state of mild shock, and couldn't believe that after the Kira X Fllay "incident" during Gundam SEED, Sunrise would actually go further in Code Geass and depict female masturbation.

I've got to admit though; nothing says "she's a psycho school-girl lesbian" faster than a short scene like that. And it wasn't graphic at all. It's just more the thought of it, and the surprise that it was included at all, that I take offense at. The actual scene is pretty harmless (as evidenced by the number of people who completely missed it the first time through).
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
[Eh, some guys. Call me a pervert, a sicko or whatever, but not every male is entirely ignorant when it comes to stuff, er, down there. I knew exactly what I was seeing the first time through. In fact, I was in a state of mild shock, and couldn't believe that after the Kira X Fllay "incident" during Gundam SEED, Sunrise would actually go further in Code Geass and depict female masturbation.

I've got to admit though; nothing says "she's a psycho school-girl lesbian" faster than a short scene like that. And it wasn't graphic at all. It's just more the thought of it, and the surprise that it was included at all, that I take offense at. The actual scene is pretty harmless (as evidenced by the number of people who completely missed it the first time through).

You'll have to excuse me since I never could stay interested in Gundam. Only two series in the franchise that I could managed to watch all the way to the end were G-Gundam and 08th MS Team. Anyways, to what I'm tryin to get at here, what exactly was the Kira X Fllay incident?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Beware of the Gundam SEED spoilers below.

LuckySeven wrote:
Anyways, to what I'm tryin to get at here, what exactly was the Kira X Fllay incident?

In episode sixteen of Gundam SEED, it was heavily implied that Kira and Fllay had had sexual relations. As in, the battle alarm went off, and we saw Kira (in his boxers) get out of bed to put on his uniform. Still in bed was an obviously naked Fllay with a sheet covering her torso. We learn from another character that Fllay had not gone to her bunk that night (it was untouched).

Nothing was explicitly shown (not the act, and no "body parts" apart from her cleavage), but it caused quite a bit of outrage and controversy. And this in the normally liberal Japan. I guess parents, brought up on the original Gundam, were shocked to even see the implication of sex in a Gundam show, especially one shown near primetime.

Here's Wikipedia's take:

Wikipedia wrote:
In episode sixteen, the main protagonist, sixteen-year-old Kira Yamato, is seen putting on pants after getting out of a bed, where fifteen-year-old Flay Allster lies sleeping naked suggesting a sexual relationship. The Japanese Commission for Better Broadcasting reported that viewers filed complaints regarding the scene because the show was aired at 6 pm when children would be watching.[26] Mecha Anime HQ's review called the scene daring and creative, because it marks the first time for a "Gundam hero" to ever have sex during the course of the series; it was also considered relevant to the plot.[27] The scene was extended in the special edition.

Note that Wikipedia isn't entirely trustworthy:

MAHQ wrote:
This episode has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, for no real reason. At the beginning, it's quite clear that Kira and Flay had sex. This technically makes Kira the first Gundam hero to have sex with a girl during the series, and some have hailed this as a sign of daring and creativity. I don't think so. Sex is sex, and throwing a bit of it into Gundam is certainly nothing special or noteworthy. Neither is the constant fanservice and any attempt to show off Murrue's breasts. Kira's encounter is somewhat relevant to the plot, since Flay is using him to get revenge on ZAFT for her father's death. Kira, being the naive person he is, is playing into her hands completely.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Funny how two of Sunrise's worst shows are the ones with the sexual content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 60