• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks, Section23 Add To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well I would want a dub for the sheer fact I can not for the love of me stand Lala's voice in Japanese which is a shame as her Japanese VA played Nagi in Kannagi and I loved her in that.

Plus even if another c.o got the rights it would be Funimation as they could just market it as "By the person who brought you Black Cat" thats sure to sell it. I mean bring back Eve's and Kyoko's VAs for a dub and it would sell

Last edited by ninjapet on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much complaining. o.O

Anyway, although this isn't a title I plan on purchasing at the moment (my mind may change if they place it on Anime Network on Demand and I find myself enjoying it), I'm glad to see that Sentai and ADV/Section23 is still licensing anime and trying to get more stuff out there, and stuff that a good amount of the fandom will like.

The lack of dub doesn't bother me; a lot of the anime I'm watching now is sub-only and I'm actually preferring that over dubs (and I used to be a dub-only fan; I may just stick to watching Shippuden and FMA Brotherhood subbed instead of in the dubs!). I can understand where people are coming from with wanting dubs, but really - isn't watching anime subtitled with the original seiyuu have that more authentic feel to it when you watch it?
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Why must people complain so much about sub only? If you watched it fan subbed, you obviously had no problem with subs in the first place, so stop complaining.

If you want dubs, prove to the companies that anime will sell instead of going, "I'm not buying it because it has no dub." If you don't buy, they assume its not profitable for a dub.
sypherman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely no interest in this show,but i'm glad it got licensed .would I like to see dubs out of sentai filmworks, yes do we need to dredge up ye olde sub/dub debate again ,no
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
Why must people complain so much about sub only? If you watched it fan subbed, you obviously had no problem with subs in the first place, so stop complaining.

If you want dubs, prove to the companies that anime will sell instead of going, "I'm not buying it because it has no dub." If you don't buy, they assume its not profitable for a dub.

Yes, unfortunately anime has become a catch-22 business. We won't buy it unless it's dubbed, but if it doesn't sell enough subbed, then there isn't a business case to dub it. It's a very vicious circle.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Well I would want a dub for the sheer fact I can not for the love of me stand Lala's voice in Japanese which is a shame as her Japanese VA played Nagi in Kannagi and I loved her in that.

Plus even if another c.o got the rights it would be Funimation as they could just market it as "By the person who brought you Black Cat" thats sure to sell it. I mean bring back Eve's and Kyoko's VAs for a dub and it would sell

I don't know how that would help. Black Cat was god awful all around. If anything, I would think it would keep people from buying it.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Yes, unfortunately anime has become a catch-22 business. We won't buy it unless it's dubbed, but if it doesn't sell enough subbed, then there isn't a business case to dub it. It's a very vicious circle.

I know, if people would give in a little, they might get what they want. Sacrifice does yield results, which we have seen through out the past.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I guess Sentai is going to be a strictly sub-only company when it comes to new licenses. I'm kind of bummed about no dubs in anything (really would have liked them in Ghost Hound), but the fact that they keep announcing new licenses must mean they are doing alright. I guess I shouldn't complain, more anime is ALWAYS good (and Sentai's prices don't hurt either Very Happy ).

I expect that it's the intention of Sentai, Section23, and company to start dubbing shows eventually, but they're likely too new at this point to afford it. Also, most of the titles that they've picked up thus far have been of the variety that would likely have trouble breaking even with a dub. Once their situation has stabilized and they have enough cash, they'll almost certainly start dubbing at least some stuff. We'll just have to be patient in the meantime. As long as they stick around, there's the chance that they'll start dubbing again (well, again from the perspective that they were ADV since the companies in question have never actually dubbed anything).

As for this whole dub vs sub thing, complaining about the lack of dubs, and people stating that they refuse to buy anime unless it's subbed, it's getting very old. It comes up every time that a sub-only license gets announced. Yes, I'd like a dub too, but unfortunately it's not economically feasible at the moment, so we don't get one. Buy it or don't, but please stop complaining over and over again about the same thing. It doesn't help anything. It's just getting annoying, and it wouldn't surprise me if mods started deleted a lot more such posts.

Regardless, once the economy and the studios are doing well enough again, I expect that we'll see a larger portion of the anime in the US dubbed, but I also expect that one of the lessons of the anime bubble bursting is going to be that some shows just aren't going to be profitable enough to dub, so some of the weaker or more niche titles will likely always be sub-only. It's a shame, but it's life. At least these shows are getting licensed and released here.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
It's just getting annoying, and it wouldn't surprise me if mods started deleted a lot more such posts.

I wish they would punish people that complain and say they won't buy it. Those people are probably just trying to justify why they will just keep it on their hard drive.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
It's just getting annoying, and it wouldn't surprise me if mods started deleted a lot more such posts.

I wish they would punish people that complain and say they won't buy it. Those people are probably just trying to justify why they will just keep it on their hard drive.

And am I the only that wonders if some of these people would buy it even if dubbed? I often wonder if they're just mad that they won't be able to stream it dubbed now.

Just about everyone I know who complains heavily about titles not having a dub, hardly buys any anime anyway. And most of the really "hardcore" fans I know buy for the show, regardless if it's sub or dub.

I think people are missing the most important thing. It's the show. Not whether or not it's dubbed. I will admit a good dub can save an awful show, or at least make it watchable (ADV use to excel in these), but a lot of titles the dub truly pales in comparison to the original audio. I love Chris Patton as Sousuke in FMP, but his Japanese VA is phenomenal. Fullmetal Alchemist is another one. The Japanese audio put's Funi's version to shame.

There are truly some terrible shows out there that have okay dubs (look at many of Funi's recent shows.) Or some really good shows that have terrible dubs, (see Ouran or some of Bang Zoom's worst works.) I can't see how some people are only concerned with the dub, and say to hell with the actual show itself.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that fond of "To-Love-Ru." Lala was pretty much the most annoying female character I've ever heard and seen.
PMDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. The show is decently funny even to an old fogey like me, even if it really is barely more than a variation on Urusei Yatsura.

It looks good, the music is good, and the acting was good. And the writing was OK. Lots of fanservice but nothing too offensive. All in all, a not bad show.

Worst case, the sub sells well and lots of people like it and maybe the sales cause a dub version to come out later.

No downside to buying it in December.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
What happened with the mangaka? All I know is SJ pulled the plug on the manga a few weeks ago due to low ratings, and the fact it was a ecchi manga in a more action themed mag.

I'll answer this one. This is from a post over at NSFW Doujin-Moe and 4chan:

Quote:
The manga was cancelled because of legal problems with the ex-wife of (Yabuki) Kentaro:

""LateBloomer from OneManga forums said:
Here are the details. It's quite a well-known story, actually.

- There is this person called Nakamura Ine who is quite famous on the Nico Nico website (a large Japanese online community somewhat like Youtube), who turned out to be a minor (last year in high school) and also insinuated that he has something going on with a Kashiwagi Shiho.

- Now this Shiho was the wife of Yabuki Kentaro, the author of To-Love-Ru. She met Yabuki when he was looking for assistants, seduced him and ended up becoming his wife and gave birth to a daughter.

- But she hardly did any house work, neglected her daughter, and spent most of her days in front of a computer spending time in Nico Nico etc.

- January 2009, when Yabuki was sick with flu and bedridden, she kidnapped her own daughter and disappeared, and it turned out that she left her daughter at her parents' place while she was doing this and that with Ine.

- February 2009, Yabuki 'begged' Shiho to return for the sake of their daughter, and Shiho did return to Tokyo, but few days later she dropped out once again with the girl, this time taking a notebook computer and Yabuki's credit cards. Yabuki later stopped the cards, but a large sum of money was already taken out.

- Yabuki looked for them everywhere, but to no avail. March 2009, Shiho demanded a divorce on the grounds of personality clash and a large chunk of Yabuki's assets, but when the evidence of her infidelity was discovered on her computer, she then changed her stance and demanded money in exchange for the custody right of the daughter.

- Realizing it would take over a year to settle things, Yabuki accepted her conditions and got the daughter back.

- Haruna Sairenji was based on Kashiwagi Shiho, and there is a reason why her role was reduced dramatically since volume 13, and Yui getting more prominent. And apparently Shiho has sued/demanded more money for the character of Haruna recently.

- A comment of Yabuki's while this was all happening: "While I was working hard on a manga that was focused on taking young girls' panties off, another man was taking my wife's panties off."

EDIT: I forgot to mention that following the dispute over Haruna's character right, Yabuki feared his daughter getting hurt by all the debacle, so he accepted Shiho's demand yet again and ended the series prematurely.
Yes, life can be so sordid sometimes.""

Source: MyAnimeList

That's horrible. About the only good thing I can think of from that is that maybe this means that he'll go and make Black Cat part 2 like he's thought about doing in the past. But what a horrible way for a story to have to end. I haven't read all of To-Love Ru yet, so I don't know how poor an ending it gets, but there's no way that it's as good as what was originally planned if he was forced to end it on short notice. It's hard enough to find good endings as it is. I truly feel sorry for him. He got royally ripped off on so many levels, and his fans get hit by some of it too. At least the woman's reputation is probably in shambles now. I hate to think ill thoughts of people, but if that account of events is at all accurate, it's hard to think nice thoughts about her.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
1. I know that if Sentai didn't pick up To-Love-Ru, it wouldn't be here, but who wants to watch an absurdly cheap DVD where you can't understand what everyone's saying because there's no English language option on the DVD?

So you didn't understand the show when you watch it subbed? Then why are you even interested in it.
Quote:
2. ADV had an awesome range of VAs for their dubs. Sentai is just skipping out on them. If we had more VAs in Sentai's animes, they'd get more money's worth.

Sentai is just another one of ADV's shells. This is ADV making the decision not to dub it.
Quote:
3. A dub can gaiin a wider audience, which can allow Sentai to keep dubbing, and take back ADV's success that FUNimation stole.
Wider audience, sure. Enough to sell 3000+ copies worth just to justify the cost of a dub? How about you put up the money to do it if you think it's a valid investment. (I invite any dub fan to put up the money to dub any intended to be sub-only series and lets see if you even come close to making back your investment.)

And FUNi didn't steal anything. FUNi made the right business choices, ADV didn't. Simple as that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
1. I know that if Sentai didn't pick up To-Love-Ru, it wouldn't be here, but who wants to watch an absurdly cheap DVD where you can't understand what everyone's saying because there's no English language option on the DVD?

So you didn't understand the show when you watch it subbed? Then why are you even interested in it.
Quote:
2. ADV had an awesome range of VAs for their dubs. Sentai is just skipping out on them. If we had more VAs in Sentai's animes, they'd get more money's worth.

Sentai is just another one of ADV's shells. This is ADV making the decision not to dub it.
Quote:
3. A dub can gaiin a wider audience, which can allow Sentai to keep dubbing, and take back ADV's success that FUNimation stole.
Wider audience, sure. Enough to sell 3000+ copies worth just to justify the cost of a dub? How about you put up the money to do it if you think it's a valid investment. (I invite any dub fan to put up the money to dub any intended to be sub-only series and lets see if you even come close to making back your investment.)

And FUNi didn't steal anything. FUNi made the right business choices, ADV didn't. Simple as that.

I do agree with a lot you had to say, but you do realize that ADV doesn't exsist anymore right? ADV can't exactly make a decision when it's no longer in business.

And entertainment comes down to a lot more than good decisions. A lot of it is luck. Funimation would probably be out of business today, if DBZ hadn't taken off. And it took years to do so. I'm not saying ADV didn't make any bad decisions, obviously they did. I just think you oversimplified it with that statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7