• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What got you hooked into anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dante_calypso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Monster Rancher and sailor moon got me hooked, back when i believe sci-fi channel had a cartoon segment. I think it was called binkman or something. After monster rancher i started watching the anime shows on cartoon network like Zoids, Dragon Ball z, pokemon and Digimon.
dante_calypso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:
Since I was born in the 60's, I got to see Speed Racer, Astro Boy and Prince Planet on UHF tv. That lead into Starblazers, Voltron, and Battle of the Planets (which was so badly edited as to be unwatchable even to my young eyes.) In the 80's Robotech became the center of my TV world for a while. I loved every second of it. Then, I drifted away from anime for a while, only getting back into it when Vampire Hunter D , Dominion, and Dirty Pair caught my eye.
You would think I would have grown up by now.

Ah man! I completely forgot about Speed Racer!
Japanpsone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
when I was a youngin' during the early 80s VHS boom we lived above a rental shop. Tomb of Dracula, Unico and the island of magic, and the early Tekkaman: Space Knight (NOT that blade rubbish!) dub are what I fondly remember.
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Like many other people my age, I grew up watching anime, however I was unaware that it was even anime until years later.

It started with Star Blazers, Voltron, Robotech, Thundersub, and Captain Harlock & The Queen of 1000 Worlds.

I think I rediscovered the true anime back when Toonami had it's midnight run, and they showed Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, and of course Cowboy Bebop.
axionshypnosis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
The first anime I remember watching were: Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Voltron. Then I watched Pokemon here and there and a couple other ones whose names escape me. I never got into Dragon Ball Z, but I did catch Naruto a lot on Adult Swim.

After that I was not really into it until about 2 years ago when a buddy of mine introduced me to Full Metal Alchemist, then Bleach, Claymore and Darker than Black. Now I am hooked to say the least.
doriinatrix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm...probably Vampire Hunter D and Excel Saga. I had liked anime before, but those two really showed me how crazy it could get. I've stuck with it since.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
The series that got me hooked was Gunslinger Girl. Although I'd seen some anime before that, in some cases due to editing not even knowing what it really was, this was the first series I watched that I knew was anime. What got me so hooked was that the series was so radically different from other animated things I'd seen. It reminded me of a much more mature version of the plot-based cartoons I'd loved to watch before, like GI Joe, The Real Ghostbusters and Batman: The Animated Series.

Here was a well-written, brutally effective at telling a story series with fantastic action and great voice work. Heck, I specifically bought it because I was so fed up with shows I liked on TV getting cancelled (thanks Fox) and I wanted to hear Laura Bailey in something other than Blood Rayne.

Since then, I've just kept expanding my range of enjoyment and growing my collection. Sometimes I find myself wishing I'd never become a fan too though. Overall, I'm still enjoying anime but it can get frustrating as hell sometimes.
flame_m13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
I watched Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim one night. It was the episode where the prisoners take over that ship (it's been a long time, so forgive me if that wasn't the exact situation). I remember seeing the blood fly near the screen, and I thought the animation was awesome. After that, I watched it every night, and watched a couple of other animes like Witch Hunter Robin and Inuyasha on that channel.

I met my husband because of our interests in Cowboy Bebop, so that anime in particular has a special place in my heart.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
For all intent and purposes I will always trace my love for anime and manga back to a non-anime source. And believe me when I say: Spider-Man. Not the cartoons or horrible 70's live action show (reruns, I'm not that old) or Japanese manga. But the U.S. Spider-Man comics. Just the way he moved, looked, and the kind of tragedy and hardship he went through. I found that quality alot in animes and manga and they just naturally drew me in. The poses, speed, character story... just what I was looking for when I was younger and I've been a fan ever since. Makes me feel old now that I think about it.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
animes like B'tX, Yu yu Hakusho, Fushigi Yuugi, Dragon Ball Z, Trigun, Flame of Recca, Rurouni Kenshin, Magic Knight Rayearth and Gundam Wing are the first animes i watched when i was a kid. I remember running back home as fast as i can from school just to reach the 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm anime marathon. They're fun and entertaining as i thought up until now. I'll always love anime and always will.
xxPandaMonzterxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, Sailor Moon got me hooked lol.Because I enjoyed how the show had cool animations.Along with the fact that I watched Pokemon and Adult Swim. =]
kittykatstargal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
Well I watched anime like Saban's Adventure of the Little Mermaid, Serendipity the Pink Dragon, and this anime version of Pinocchio, however I was only 5 and didn't know it was anime.

What got me really hooked was Sailor Moon - and it was also then I realized it came from Japan thanks to my cousins importing various Sailor Moon merchandise. They also told me all the 'secrets' like Neptune/Uranus being a couple (before them being introduced to NA) and Zoisite being a male when I was... 8-9 IIRC. Vision of Escaflowne, Pokemon, Digimon, followed right after.
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon got me started back in the early days of high school (wow... that was a long time ago Shocked ) I used to wake up at 5:30am every morning during the week before school because that's when they aired the episodes. We didn't have cable, and the channel didn't always come in very good, but I watched it no matter what. Even if that meant waking up an hour earlier than I needed to.

After that, I discovered the anime section at blockbuster. I rented anime like Mermaid Forest, Record of Lodoss War, Project Ak-o and a few others and realized how much I loved japanese animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
In short, Tenchi Muyo was my gateway anime.

Although I had already had an appreciation of anime, Akira and (ahem) legend of the overfiend being the earliest I saw. Followed by a number of other mostly action shows, because that's what my friends liked and owned. I did have one friend who got all the Ranma stuff he could, I appreciated that more than Lodoss Wars.

This was the 90's though and I wasn't willing to spend my own money on anime, it's expensive now but it was ridiculous then. Plus I was living in a small town in Northern Indiana at the time, not much of a market. But then Cartoon Network started showing stuff and everything became more commonplace to see. And as I said it was Tenchi and maybe Outlaw Star that really got me hooked, shows that mixed action with comedy and slice of life stories, that's what hooked me. Finally I moved to Milwaukee and had access to a shop that specialized in renting and selling anime. I rented a lot from them, Adult Swim started up, the boom happened and it was finally feasible to have an anime habit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
OMG... anime is so cheap now compared to what it used to be. One of the very first anime DVD's I purchased was Revolutionary Utena Rose Collection 1. That single DVD set me back $40!!! And no, it wasn't some special edition or put in some fancy metal case. Also, when I bought the Sailor Moon S series, I spent $30 a peice on those. Yet, before Christmas I bought the entire first season of Tsubasa on Blu Ray for only $30. The quality is great plus I love the fact that all the episodes fit on 3 disks. I have my eye on a few other Blu Ray anime releases coming out in the next few months.

Oh, and I guess I should add that it was Utena that got me fully hooked on anime. An impulse buy for a DVD that I knew nothing about but I thought the cover looked cool, and it ends up being one of my favorites of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6