• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Haruhi Anime Season's DVDs Mentioned in New Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
Awesomes. If anything at least this confirms Cristina is the official dub opening.

Loved Cristina for a long time now, even her early youtube days. To think that she's the new ASOS Haruhi is amazing.

I think I would faint from the awesome if Cristina becomes the new Haruhi in the dub. I'm totally biased in my opinion, but I sure would love it if that comes true.
Soskyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I don't want to sound like "that fan", but if they replace anybody in that dub, I'm 100% sure I'm not going to buy it. I don't know much about Cristina Vee except that she fandubs stuff on Youtube and that she was in ZnT and I've been on the record of saying that is the worst dub of all time and that it should banned; so that's not boding well for her.

As much as I want to see the second season, I'll live without it if they have plans of replacing anyone.
I completely agree.
Karisu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
This is their chance to do what they should have done the first time around; have Cristina Vee play Haruhi like she should have from the start.

I hope they re-release the entire series with her as Haruhi. They don't need to re-record anyone else, so it wouldn't be that much more work. This isn't to say I didn't like Wendy Lee as Haruhi, I just think Vee is much better and suited for the role (her "God Knows" is fantastic).

Even though I even got tired of Endless Eight by the end of it, I'm still very much looking forward to the English release. I don't understand why some people were such haters of the 2nd season. Endless Eight was more or less genius (even if it did feel like they missed some opportunities to change things up a bit more every episode).
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
That dubbed song was fantastic! I hope Bandai releases the series in a box set, not singles. Smile
qashairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
On ending credit i did see HD Editing on production. Was that it?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
cool I cant wait to get it I hope there special edition
Kenshin Shinta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked C. Vee in Familiar Of Zero and a few other things but there is absolutely no need to replace W. Lee as Haruhi or any need to replace any of the other voice actors(like they did with david moo) seriously,unless he turned the job down or they couldn't find him, why would replace him??? Anyway, I realize some times you have to take a chance or you need/want/have to replace someone but, all I ask is before you do[To All Anime Companies] Remember the saiyuki blunder(IMO). No disrespect to the other voice actors and I wish I had the money to do this or somebody would... Go back a re-dub Reload and Reload:Gunlock with the va's from the first season. I know it's not going to happen(my money tree won't grow) But, SERIOUSLY, please think SERIOUSLY before you replace key people. much love people
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I'm shocked that there is a second season of Haruhi on DVD since there wasn't one aired in Japan. All that's been made in Japan is one season of 28 episodes and the upcoming movie next Sat. Oh....was this supposed to be the extra episodes that were included in the "re-airing" of Haruhi last summer? If so, then the title of this article should be changed to STOP the stupid idea that Haruhi has a second season when it doesn't. The fact that the only episodes included finish the timeline up to the movie pretty much indicate it.

The new episodes in the 2009 re-airing were animated in HD as evidenced by the credit in the ED, however, the 2006 episodes were not animated in HD, thus a future blu-ray release has to re-animate the first 14 episodes.

I rather like the idea of Endless Eight, and I have marathoned the R2 releases of Endless Eight back-to-back before. It's not as bad as people really say. I'd say to try the episodes out and if you don't like it, then skip it in future viewings.

If you really want to know how the "torture" of Endless Eight came about, I've set up my theory at the end of this post that shows evidence that Kadokawa was planning for the movie back in 2007.

Can't wait for the R1 releases, Vee did an awesome job dubbing the new OP.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where everyone is getting 'official' stuff from about Cristina Vee singing the opening. If anyone bothered to check her personal Youtube channel she put out her version of Super Driver about 3 months ago. And she does her own versions of a lot of anime theme songs too. So just because she did this doesn't mean they're officially dubbing the opening and ending themes into English. She did her own fandub versions of the previous songs for Haruhi Suzumiya too, so I can't say her doing this holds a lot of weight with me on what might get dubbed, or what direction they're going with the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
After the Lucky Star debacle, I kind of doubt Bandai's going to do the Special Edition thing anymore, but if they sell volume 1 with a box (or just sell it as a single set) then I'd hope they'd at least include the CD singles of the opening and closing theme songs, since there are still a handful of us out there who like owning music on physical media formats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not interested in the dub, but I'll be getting the DVDs to support Bandai's decision to license the series. I'm one of those inscrutable madmen who genuinely enjoyed "Endless Eight", so it's not a sticking point for me. It actually made several of my friends into Haruhi fans! "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and the "Sigh" arc also had some of the best moments in the series, and it's all important mythology for the upcoming film anyway.

I've always said the smart thing to do would be to release all the episodes in one boxset, and label them "The Missing Stories", instead of "series 2", which isn't technically correct anyway. That model seems to be working for Funimation, with similarly niche titles like Clannad.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not interested in the dub either but I'll be buying this because I like owning physical copies of anime I like. What other reason is there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
That model seems to be working for Funimation, with similarly niche titles like Clannad.

FUNimation has nothing to do with Clannad, which is a Section 23/Sentai title.
Karisu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm not interested in the dub either but I'll be buying this because I like owning physical copies of anime I like. What other reason is there?

Personally, I find the dub equal to the original Japanese. Very rare that I feel that way, but this is one of those titles (other examples would be Welcome to the NHK and Cowboy Bebop, both of which I think the dub far exceeds the original).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
People have already written a lot on this forum, too much for me to catch up on. So I'll just say this--it's great that Bandai has licensed the 2nd season. While the 'Endless Eight' arc was boring as hell, the 'Sigh' arc was just enough to make up for it. Not only that, but Bandai seems to be just afloat enough to afford a dub for this title, which they just couldn't be able to do for the Lucky Star OVA and everything they've recently released. So whatever everyone else is saying, I see this all as a good sign regardless, and maybe there's the smallest chance they'll get their hands on the movie. This is all my thoughts upon reading this article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6