• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists BDs for Guyver, Rin, Black Cat, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
At least it's a step up from their bootleg quality dvds though.

That hasn't been true with their DVDs for a couple years now.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
MarcFBR wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
At least it's a step up from their bootleg quality dvds though.

That hasn't been true with their DVDs for a couple years now.

It wasn't true for the last few series they did in singles, but it certainly holds true for a lot of their boxset releases. I'm not saying all their DVDs are terrible, but a lot of them are quite bad.

As a whole, their video quality is much worse than the releases from Sentai/ADV, Bandai, Nozomi and Viz. The others may have occasional hiccups, but I've never got a DVD from any of them where there is constant digital artifacting, color banding and blurring.

Ghost Hunt, Aquarion and Ouran are some of the worst DVD's I've ever seen, and look nearly as bad as the Taiwanese bootleg of Shana I was sent two years ago from Amazon. But I can't complain much about Aquarion, as I only paid $18 for the entire show.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
MarcFBR wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Simply put: the reason why people get upset about FUNI leaving out an angle for the original credits is that the Japanese cast gets no recognition. Editing title cards should have gone the way of hard subs, which many consider censorship, but hey...

1- You are ignoring that except for in very rare cases, that Japanese cast members are listed in the translated credits.

2- That isn't what censorship means, and even if it did, it still wouldn't apply here, because once again, the information is almost always there.

Translated credits just don't do justice for some if us. Applying subtitles directly to the film is indeed censorship. It wasnt originally in English. I like my anime pretty much as untouched as possible.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm not saying all their DVDs are terrible, but a lot of them are quite bad.

Bad? How so?

Much of my collection's FUNimation and when I run their DVDs through progressive scan and 16:9, I don't see any degradation of quality, which tells me they're not bad at all.

Or are you talking about those DVDs in which the native was a cel-produced series? Because if this is the case, I'll have to disregard your "bad" comment. The quality fault of the series doesn't belong to the DVD itself and many distributors didn't "digitally remaster" them (thank goodness).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Subtitles are censorship? That's laughable. Subbing/dubbing is actually the opposite of censorship because it allows an audience that doesn't speak the creators language to enjoy their work. In other words the message gets out to MORE people, not less. Without subbing/dubbing only Japanese speakers would be able to enjoy anime - a tiny fraction of the Earth's population. But hey, a purist like you can always buy the original Japanese DVDs/BDs, right? That way not only do you not have to suffer from "censorship" ( Rolling Eyes x a billion) but you get to pay those lovely Japanese prices, too!

Give your head a shake, man.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Everyone complaining about this subject wrote:
It seems like BD publishers should be required to say clearly on the box if a BD is an upscale or taken from an HD master. Seems like a pretty important spec to me.

So am I the only person who listened to the Funi People ANNcast and caught the part where Adam said they need permission from the Japanese licensors to put that on the box? Check for yourself (pardon the scratchy sound, poor mic).

Blood-, what you are talking about? Everyone knows dubs are evil and go against everything the original Japanese creators wanted. Also, everyone who *gulp* likes dubs go to hell. Subs are evil too because it's a well known FACT they're all localized and don't read what's said (at least when you compare them to fansubs). Jeez, what kind of fan are you if you don't know this stuff? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
@KoH: yes, I hang my head in shame for being part of the evil foreign conspiracy that oppresses the Japanese anime industry by buying subbed/dubbed DVDs. How they must hate us for putting extra money in their pockets and helping to spread interest in Japanese culture around the globe! Seriously, there ought to be an international law that any film, TV show, etc. can ONLY be shown in its original language. So if there is something really cool in a language you don't speak - tough shit! You aren't a super awesome intelligent purist like luffypirate, loser!

As for the BD specs - that's interesting. I didn't happen to catch that ANNCast. Call me cynical, but I don't think distribs like Funi are all that broken up that Japanese license holders won't "let" them clearly indicate whether something is an upscale or not. It works to their advantage, too.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

It wasn't true for the last few series they did in singles, but it certainly holds true for a lot of their boxset releases. I'm not saying all their DVDs are terrible, but a lot of them are quite bad.

As a whole, their video quality is much worse than the releases from Sentai/ADV, Bandai, Nozomi and Viz. The others may have occasional hiccups, but I've never got a DVD from any of them where there is constant digital artifacting, color banding and blurring.

Ghost Hunt, Aquarion and Ouran are some of the worst DVD's I've ever seen, and look nearly as bad as the Taiwanese bootleg of Shana I was sent two years ago from Amazon. But I can't complain much about Aquarion, as I only paid $18 for the entire show.

I never seen any problems with my DVD's I though they looked fine to me, and I have many DVD's from Funi. My eye sight is not very good, but they all look fine to me.

luffypirate85 wrote:

Translated credits just don't do justice for some if us. Applying subtitles directly to the film is indeed censorship. It wasnt originally in English. I like my anime pretty much as untouched as possible.

How is this censorship? If you are translation something from one language to another so that more people can read or understand it that is not censorship, it's called making something more available for others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm not saying all their DVDs are terrible, but a lot of them are quite bad.

Bad? How so?

Ouran, Ghost Hunt and Aquarion all suffered from large amounts of digital and compression artifacting, color banding and blurring, and extreme levels of noise in background colors. I've read multiple complaints about these three, especially Ghost Hunt, so I know it's not just limited to me. I've also watched them on four different set ups, including three HD sets, two different upconvert players, a PS3, and an SD TV set. While they shows didn't look to bad on the SD set, a lot of the faults were still quite noticeable. But they became almost unbearable on my 40" and 46" Sonys, and nearly as bad on a 42" Panasonic that belonged to a friend.

Also, I don't believe any of these were taken from cell animation. But regardless, cell animation wouldn't cause the excessive amounts of digital artifacts that are present in these shows. Flaws like these are generally due to sloppy encoding and over compression.

But like I said, not all of their DVDs are bad. I've seen some of the newest Negima and they were okay. Their movies seem to be okay as well, but that is likely due to less content on the disc and less need to compress the material.

But these three releases have been bad enough to make me more leery of Funimation's releases, especially with all the negative comments I've heard about their Blurays, and with all the returns we see at work (mostly DVD though.) Of course, like some of the typos in others subtitled releases, and release date problems, I'm willing to overlook them if the price is right.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-: Unless they're the Angel Cop subtitles.

The King of Harts wrote:
It seems like BD publishers should be required to say clearly on the box if a BD is an upscale or taken from an HD master. Seems like a pretty important spec to me.

So am I the only person who listened to the Funi People ANNcast and caught the part where Adam said they need permission from the Japanese licensors to put that on the box? Check for yourself (pardon the scratchy sound, poor mic).

Thanks for bringing that up. It's bizarre but I'm still surprised that can fly with the FCC. Do you know if they've even tried asking permission? His response seemed...evasive.
kenneth_lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
I was annoyed to find that my Baccano! discs appeared to omit the Japanese cast from the ED, listing only the English dub cast. Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be standard procedure.

It is pretty common, in my experience. The most recent One Piece DVDs list the English cast and not the Japanese, for example.

Cast and crew are often mistranslated or left off entirely; there are plenty of us who do know Japanese that would like to read it.

Also, (at least in the early days), sometimes the Japanese version would have a beautiful, elaborate title sequence that would be covered up by a still blue screen with something written in Times New Roman.

Well put Takeyo and MrSatan.

While I prefer the Sub version, the thing that's plagued most Funi DVDs I've bought so far is their disregard for listing the Original Japanese Cast.

They translate and list the English Dub Voice Actors only and I don't have a single Funi DVD that they've bothered to translate and list the Original Japanese Cast, whereas every single other U.S. Anime Company had no problems doing this, even smaller companies like CPM / USMC and Media Blasters, Urban Vision, etc.

But now that Funi is so big they don't care. Pretty sad.
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
kenneth_lee wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
I was annoyed to find that my Baccano! discs appeared to omit the Japanese cast from the ED, listing only the English dub cast. Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be standard procedure.

It is pretty common, in my experience. The most recent One Piece DVDs list the English cast and not the Japanese, for example.

Cast and crew are often mistranslated or left off entirely; there are plenty of us who do know Japanese that would like to read it.

Also, (at least in the early days), sometimes the Japanese version would have a beautiful, elaborate title sequence that would be covered up by a still blue screen with something written in Times New Roman.

Well put Takeyo and MrSatan.

While I prefer the Sub version, the thing that's plagued most Funi DVDs I've bought so far is their disregard for listing the Original Japanese Cast.

They translate and list the English Dub Voice Actors only and I don't have a single Funi DVD that they've bothered to translate and list the Original Japanese Cast, whereas every single other U.S. Anime Company had no problems doing this, even smaller companies like CPM / USMC and Media Blasters, Urban Vision, etc.

But now that Funi is so big they don't care. Pretty sad.
If the credits matter to you that much why don't you use this site and look it up here? Really, from Dubs vs Subs to Moe/Loli fans vs Moe/Loli haters and now this. The 1:30sec credit ending is the next great anime divide? Boy I can't wait to see what cause every one picks up the pitchforks for in five years.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@Blood-: Unless they're the Angel Cop subtitles.

The King of Harts wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up. It's bizarre but I'm still surprised that can fly with the FCC. Do you know if they've even tried asking permission? His response seemed...evasive.

I took it as: "We've tried several times in the past, but they made us remove it each time and so we eventually stopped trying." He did sound evasive, but evasive in that he didn't want to sound like he's pushing all the blame on the Japanese. Maybe if Justin reads this he can tell us what he thought of the answer.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
If the credits matter to you that much why don't you use this site and look it up here? Really, from Dubs vs Subs to Moe/Loli fans vs Moe/Loli haters and now this. The 1:30sec credit ending is the next great anime divide? Boy I can't wait to see what cause every one picks up the pitchforks for in five years.

For me, at least, the omission of seiyuu credits isn't a deal-breaker when it comes to buying DVDs. It does, however, leave me scratching my head. I know that I can (and routinely do) find them online, but that's not the point. If I'm watching an episode of show X and think I recognize the voice of character Y, it's irritating to get to the end of the episode only to discover that I need to stop watching and go break out my laptop to find something that arguably should have been included on the disc, as an extra if nothing else.

In the Baccano! example, there was plenty of room in the ED to include them along with the rest of the Japanese production credits that were included, but they just weren't there. I don't know if Funimation made a mistake or if they were actually left off the original R2 releases (Kudos to Funi for remaining faithful to the original presentation if that is the case). I rented Bamboo Blade recently and, IIRC, the seiyuu credits were included. Since these are the only two Funimation releases I've seen recently, I really can't say which case is more common or by what degree. But since Funimation is grabbing a larger and larger market share, I do hope it won't become a standard practice.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't mention the word "subtitles" on here without looking like a purist bastard... Rolling Eyes I was talking about hard subs which are rarely used now. There's no option to remove them from the screen. Check the older Nadesico discs to get a good example of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6