• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Old's Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalpain88

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Out of all of these, Star Blazers was never mentioned. I think that is one of the fundamental anime's that opened the door for others to enter. That and Macross. Those are old schooled in my opinion.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
royalpain88 wrote:
Out of all of these, Star Blazers was never mentioned. I think that is one of the fundamental anime's that opened the door for others to enter. That and Macross. Those are old schooled in my opinion.

Uchū Senkan Yamato (Star Blazers) was broadcast in 1974–75, while Chō Jikū Yōsai Macross was broadcast in 1982–83, so neither is appropriate to an article about the 1960s.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Now, finding a VHS of the original Astro Boy dubbed would be very interesting.

I've some sort of B&W Astroboy VHS, I think, from Rightstuf in the corner, so maybe they still have it if ya ask them.

Ktimene's Lover wrote:
One of the first anime titles I saw was Mazinger Z back in kindergarten or first grade. That is a sort of a dub that time forgot.

Though I preferred Voltes V, even over Voltron or Daimos. But then, I also preferred Blue Submarine Noah over Star Blazers, which would be blasphemy. Laughing
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
TAS314 wrote:
"free to watch in North America on Hulu."

No, Hulu is only available in the United States, it is blocked in Canada. Last time I checked Canada is a large chunk of North America. Same for Viz as their streaming site is just a skin over a Hulu back end.

It's sad for you guys since they should at least make these things available for both countries anyway. Prince Planet isn't going to find any takers up north anytime soon.

Quite. It should be released on an official ad-stream channel at YouTube, which does not have the US-only restrictions that Hulu is built upon (or Crunchyroll, though Crunchyroll is not likely to run a petition drive for it like the current petition drive to get Bleach simulcasts).

They do have Prince Planet on YouTube otherwise, or is that blocked in your country too? But yes, too often I feel they should at least arrange the rights for these to be in both country from the start if it's possible to make it a joint North American effort.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
agila61 wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
TAS314 wrote:
"free to watch in North America on Hulu."

No, Hulu is only available in the United States, it is blocked in Canada. Last time I checked Canada is a large chunk of North America. Same for Viz as their streaming site is just a skin over a Hulu back end.

It's sad for you guys since they should at least make these things available for both countries anyway. Prince Planet isn't going to find any takers up north anytime soon.

Quite. It should be released on an official ad-stream channel at YouTube, which does not have the US-only restrictions that Hulu is built upon (or Crunchyroll, though Crunchyroll is not likely to run a petition drive for it like the current petition drive to get Bleach simulcasts).

They do have Prince Planet on YouTube otherwise, or is that blocked in your country too? But yes, too often I feel they should at least arrange the rights for these to be in both country from the start if it's possible to make it a joint North American effort.

My country would be the US ... even after coming back from a decade in Oz. So I can't check for region blocking myself, but maybe TAS314 can? I think this is the series link.

It is, in any event, good practice to check if a Hulu stream is also on YouTube. Hulu is built from the ground up to be US-only, because its a joint venture of primarily broadcast partners, and broadcast is one area where Canadian and US rights are normally fractured.

Youtube has no such restriction, so if the streaming rights came as an all of R1 package deal, a YouTube stream can easily be set to allow streaming to Canada.
MarthaC

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Copyrighted Name wrote:
I seriously wonder if I'm the only person who recognizes the name of every show Mike mentions in the article. Good stuff. Smile

I do too! As for you, Mr. Toole, you are my hero! Since I am old enough to be the mother or perhaps even grandmother of some of the posters, I shake my head sadly when people speak of the 90s as old school!!!
So many thanks for this, Mike.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
MarthaC wrote:
Copyrighted Name wrote:
I seriously wonder if I'm the only person who recognizes the name of every show Mike mentions in the article. Good stuff. Smile

I do too! As for you, Mr. Toole, you are my hero! Since I am old enough to be the mother or perhaps even grandmother of some of the posters, I shake my head sadly when people speak of the 90s as old school!!!

Really, I'm old enough to have kids too and feel the same way. It's like your own mom gushing about the cartoons she saw in her youth she tries to press onto you (for me, it was Mr. Magoo and Gerald McBong-Boing since my mom grew up in the 50's).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to being in South Korea a while back, I got a chance to experience Sally the Witch (color series). The Korean dub does have a better opening (more rockish). Anime sure has come a long way since the ancient days before we were all born.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Great to see ANN has stepped up their columns and added cool guys with sexy voices (like Mike Tool). I was getting kinda bored of the Shelf Life and RTO reviews since reviews is what we're a lot of nowadays. Keep it up, Mike I'm reading it!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Gerald McBong-Boing

This would've been a vastly different show, I think!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Thanks to being in South Korea a while back, I got a chance to experience Sally the Witch (color series). The Korean dub does have a better opening (more rockish). Anime sure has come a long way since the ancient days before we were all born.

I still miss the kiddie chorus in those theme tunes. I want that back! Evil or Very Mad

Zac wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
Gerald McBong-Boing

This would've been a vastly different show, I think!

If you're talking about the newer show CN bothered to air, you can forget it, it's not THE Gerald McBoing-Boing I knew.
ta0paipai

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
Logically the best organization may be "old school" (Atroboy), "new school" (Gatchaman), "golden age" (Cowboy Bebop), "technology age" - due to the reliance on computers and global teams- (current). Technically, the terms "new school" and "old school" stand for an era/style and not something's age or its age in relation to the speaker. In other words, "old school" does not simply mean "old."

Anyway you look at it, Azamanga/Cowboy Bebop are definitely not "old school." To younger fans they are "old" but do not warrant "old school" in any way.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nah, it's just been cyclical in the US. The 60s was the first wave, the late 70s saw the 2nd wave with Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers. The 80s brought us Robotech and Voltron, the 90s had Sailor Moon and Dragonball and Pokemon. The emergence of the internet and the persistence of media (both online and off) has seen anime carve a longer-term niche since then, but relatively speaking, we're in a valley. Anime will produce another breakout hit that will fuel some new growth, it's just a question of when.

And from where. The last popular "wave" kinda ended when Cartoon Network lost interest in anime. Best as I can tell, the next one will need TV, too, and I don't know how that's going to happen.

I've always thought less in terms of old/new school and more in terms of decades, but if we're going by birthdate, pretty much anything before Akira would count for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5