• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kirk Up Your Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I will say one thing in 4Kids defense, though. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Naruto have a rap-esque opening?

Mohawk: I'm guessing because Bambi ended the way it did that they don't like bringing up the subject in American kids' shows. It probably scarred quite a few viewers for life. Shit, I just saw a dead cat IRL a few months ago, and it's still effing me up at my age.

Greed: I see. Thanks.

Zac: You might wanna avoid Meet the Feebles, then.
artist45

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I love this AnnCast:) I hope they get someone from Cartoon network.
To talk to.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Mark agreed to come on the show, and I have to say that I'm impressed at how he handled himself, especially since so many of the questions pertained to events that occurred before he started with the company. I have a great deal of sympathy for the sort of hate mail he must get on a daily basis...it has to wear on you getting constantly criticized for something you had nothing to do with. I know that the name "4Kids" has become a catch-all pariah in the anime community, and in certain respects it's well-deserved, but I think it's important to remember what they were able to accomplish with Pokemon and the phenomenon that it became. I have very fond memories of those original Kanto episodes (you really can't quote Team Rocket enough), and to this day, I still feel like they handled the property incredibly well. Sure, they changed a few rice balls to "donuts," but in the end, the story stayed intact, and the intended audience (and maybe some older viewers) had the chance to enjoy it. (In the same vein, it amuses me when people get all up in arms about edits to a series like Yu-Gi-Oh, whose sole purpose in life is to sell trading cards...trust me, people, there's no "artistic merit" to be lost there. Razz) I am glad to hear that the anime fandom will get the chance to view some of their series in uncut subtitled form, and I hope that their new online ventures, as well as the television block, wind up being a success. Lord knows that anime needs all the popular exposure it can get right now.

As far as One Piece goes (and I'm not directing this at Mark in any way, since he didn't have anything to do with it), as someone who has watched the entire series up to the Japanese premieres, what strikes me most about the 4Kids edit job isn't even necessarily the content edits. Sure, the neon-green guns and "poison suction cups" were utterly absurd, but at least you could still tell something resembling the original story while using them. But several of the major changes they made had no semblance of logic or competence whatsoever behind them. Just as one small example, the editors took great care to excise any and all samples of English text, including something as benign as "MILK" on Luffy's shirt. (Kind of goes along with that "Al Khan hates literature" thing, doesn't it? Razz) And then there's the utter chop-job done to Nami's back-story (which is a real crime in and of itself, as that's one of the best tear-jerkers in the entire series), where the scene-cutting makes spoiler[Bellemere] jump all over the place. Best of all, though, were the entire arcs that were cut that would later wind up having great significance to the story; it's amazing how many of those moments you notice as you watch further into the series. I have no idea why stories like spoiler[Laboon] and spoiler[Little Garden] would need to be cut in the first place (hell, what little kid doesn't like spoiler[whales] and spoiler[dinosaurs]?), but if 4Kids had held onto the license, they would have eventually found out that they'd shot themselves in the foot. The whole thing was just a general mess.

(Of course, the acting, writing, and music replacement didn't exactly help matters either...)

Mark's assessment of the whole situation was an interesting one, and I think it makes a lot of sense. One Piece wasn't a fit for what 4Kids was trying to do at the time in the least, and it does feel for all the world that they only realized this after acquiring it, and then had to scramble to make it work as best they could. Unfortunately, in the process, the product they created didn't even really resemble the actual series. I'm just thankful that FUNi's excellent handling of the license has made the whole discussion simply academic in nature...though I guess all of those hate-mail authors never got the memo. Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
What 4Kids needs to learn is that what is listed as a "kids programme" in Japan is not necessarily compatable with the predominately conservative Christian thinking in American television's idea of a "kids programme". Japan is not predominately Christian. If Mr. Kirk's accessment of what his company has learned from this experience, totally of their own making, is to be believed, than I think 4kids can turn over a new leaf and try again. Just do the homework first. And if you can find it in your way to put Tokyo Mew Mew back together again at a fair price, I'll even give you my money for it. I can't be fairer than that. Wink
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Best of all, though, were the entire arcs that were cut that would later wind up having great significance to the story; it's amazing how many of those moments you notice as you watch further into the series. I have no idea why stories like spoiler[Laboon] and spoiler[Little Garden] would need to be cut in the first place (hell, what little kid doesn't like spoiler[whales] and spoiler[dinosaurs]?)

Bigal thought it was "To get to dee Choppa!", meaning they were trying to get to the Drum Kingdom arc as fast as they could, introduce Chopper, and make money off of merchandising.

On another note, why can't you dub it uncut in the first place, then edit it for broadcast. Then again, I can imagine the time, money, and effort it would take to do that.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
On another note, why can't you dub it uncut in the first place, then edit it for broadcast. Then again, I can imagine the time, money, and effort it would take to do that.

This, just this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:

This, just this.
It would be no different in cost either way, but what it would do is make it sound even more naff.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nelvana did that with Cardcaptors. That's the only case I can think of, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
They DON'T have Shaman King anymore!?

QUICK! SOMEONE LICENSE THAT! I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it !!!

Most of 4kid's stuff, minus One Piece (because those edits were obvious, and I'd never seen the Japanese version prior) I didn't have too much of a problem with. In fact, at the time, my internet was dial-up and the only computer in the house was the family computer, so I didn't have access to the original content before seeing the Saturday morning version. If you didn't know about the edits beforehand, it really wasn't that noticeable. Especially for kids.... until I saw One Piece.

I also understood that broadcasting on a children's block required edits. I really just wanted DVDs, and an option for subtitles, which is what 4kids didn't give me. With this option for an more mature audience subtitle streaming, I feel a bit better about that.

But yeah...... I will never forget the episode of One Piece where Usopp's girlfriend pulled out a slingshot, and the bad editing, along with the sound affects of slightly shaking metal that they kept on the dub for some reason, it was PRETTY freaking obvious she had a gun. NEVER watched the Japanese version before. KNEW that she was supposed to be holding a gun. That pissed me off. I don't have a problem with edits, I only have a problem when they are that bad.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nelvana did that with Cardcaptors. That's the only case I can think of, though.

Cardcaptors was never liked that especially since it never had an uncut English dub in the first place.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:

Cardcaptors was never liked that especially since it never had an uncut English dub in the first place.

I meant they dubbed all 70 episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura and Nelvana then chopped it up into the 26(?) episodes known as Cardcaptors. 4kids only dubbed the parts of One Piece they were gonna air, but Nelvana dubbed the whole thing and worked with if from there. Sure, all the names are still changed, but there are 70 dubbed episodes in chronological order floating around on the net (I've watched it with my own eyes).

Now, if sirkoala13 meant release a cut and uncut dub onto DVD, then no, no one has done that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:

I meant they dubbed all 70 episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura and Nelvana then chopped it up into the 26(?) episodes known as Cardcaptors. 4kids only dubbed the parts of One Piece they were gonna air, but Nelvana dubbed the whole thing and worked with if from there. Sure, all the names are still changed, but there are 70 dubbed episodes in chronological order floating around on the net (I've watched it with my own eyes).

Now, if sirkoala13 meant release a cut and uncut dub onto DVD, then no, no one has done that.

With Cardcaptors, I'm fairly certain every market except the US recieved the 70 episode run. Broadcaster tampering /= dub being heavly altered, especially since I don't believe the US run of the show actually concluded the series.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:

With Cardcaptors, I'm fairly certain every market except the US recieved the 70 episode run. Broadcaster tampering /= dub being heavly altered, especially since I don't believe the US run of the show actually concluded the series.

There was a uncut subtitled release of all CCS material (mainly thanks to gennon, that supposedly did well for them, and everyone selling the disc on ebay for twice of what they bought them for). however it has never gotten a "faithful" dub, the third season in particular received a lot of cuts. as well as trying to make the show a lot more guy oriented via pushing up LI's introductory episode. and the removal of romantic sub-plots (look at the series finale of the dubbed and subbed versions and tell me they did not try to remove LIXSakura).

P.S. I actually agree with zack (for once LOL) on the whole shot the dog not the hero thing, one time I went to a movie with a bunch of co-workers and a trailer for this horror movie came on and it had a dog and a baby on the screen and almost of all of us started saying not the Dog, Not the Dog. (though maybe working at a vet clinic does make us biased LOL)

as for once piece I guessed it was that sort of thing, however I still hate sanji's VA, and I still think the edits where above and beyond what they needed to be, or atleast they could have tried to make them a little more logical (like lets make the "guns" in a dessert shoot sand instead of water) and there where a couple of bad jokes/puns (the PURfect plan for one). though that really does not matter any more.

I really hope toonzaki goes well for you guys ( I will be watching) Can I please recommended digimon as a good series for the portal, along with hikaru no go and some other sports titles (Big Windup maybe I am sure funi would give the streaming rights to you for a bargain).
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
Lucariofan wrote:
I also thought that the Japanese voice actor issue was a better explanation as to why the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD's suddenly stopped.

The weird part about that is, that they went ahead and tried do a streaming, subbed, uncut version of Yuigoh a year or two ago and then suddenly ran into the voice actor problem "again". Wonder if they had thought they cleared it up or if it wasn't the issue with the DVDs.

DmonHiro wrote:
So yeah, the 4kids guy just looking for excuses....I'm not impressed. No real company would say "Well, fudge then, their not our demographic". I will forever hate 4kids, and so will MANY.
This is actually pretty typical of any company that deals with TV. (Nick, CN, [as], etc.) The only demographic that actually matters is the one that counts toward advertising. If someone outside the demographic is watching something or complaining, they don't matter.

Golfkid wrote:
I know. I have tried to tell tons of people stuff like that and that the FCC tells them to make the edits. Many people just don't listen.

The FCC does not tell them what edits to make. They just release a list of guidelines which, as was said, is then interpreted by each network (and production company) individually. The catch is that not all the edits are made because of S&P. Some are made in localization for marketing reasons.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's been around this site for awhile should know Zac's obvious bunny bias. But I totally agree with the ides that most peeps react negatively to violence against animals. One of the funniest lines in Brian Vaughn's Ex Machina comic, paraphrased: "I understand how someone can do that [horrific act of violence] to their kid, but their dog?! That's just sick!" That line always comes into my mind whenever I think of a certain chimera in Full Metal Alchemist (the kid was annoying, but what did the poor dog do to deserve that fate? Razz)

What I find most confusing is why they would choose herbavores as the most violent characters in the show? At least dogs and cats are natural predators!

Talking about animal violence, I live in a country in which a guy can take his 7-11 year old son out hunting innocent animals with a rifle, but that same kid can't watch a cartoon episodes with an animated gun on network television? That's may be messed up, but it also strikes me as an opportunity.

Has 4kids ever tried to license anime with a sports focus? We know that sports shows don't generally appeal to older anime fans, but kids like my 8-year-old nephew (who never tried a team sport he didn't like) might really dig 'em. Sports shonen anime tend to trade battles for matches, so there's less violence to edit, and what American boy doesn't know about soccer or baseball? Heck, they might even enjoy watching kids play GO if it aired on TV Wink

You can then license and sell character-branded sports merch, which parents are less likely to object to then a deck of cards or a Bakugan thingamajiggy.

Then there's the shojo question. Why are you locking girls' shows out of marketing possibility? Shows like "Petite Princess Yucie" don't need much editing (maybe the relgion theme would need a touch-up) and goodness knows girls like character merch and toys as much as boys do. Heck, boys might actually watch shojo, too! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6