• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Kuragehime, 2nd Heaven's Lost Property

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
As opposed to watching it on Crunchyroll? Huh?

Well, I'm watching on Crunchyroll, and will still be doing so, but it's nice to know that a physical release and a dub will be coming too for Heaven's Lost Property Forte. Not that I know if the person you responded to cares about those things, but it's not something you can expect just from Crunchyroll simulcasting it.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I for one, am glad they picked these shows up, I still wish they would have picked up toradora, it needed a proper english dub.

but I know some people wont like the shows funi puts out, I personally think funi butchered love hina when they released it, so I went and spent time to find the original volumes, just to have the extras and such,
and I personally wont be buying any license rescues either, since I already have the originals, but I do hope they do a good job with the blu-ray of chobits, I already have it on DVD, so no reason to double dip unless the blu-ray looks stunning,

and I think funi will make a mistake if they do not release railgun and index on blu-ray, and if they do, it should be released the same time as the DVD, or it wont sell as good,

but stop wining about the shows you hate, and go out and buy the ones you like, and just because you want a show licensed, doesn't mean a company will license it just for you

and if you want to see Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, just wait a little longer, the last volume should release in japan within a month, then it should be announce for release, just look at the info on ANN
and at the very bottom it says: Presented By: Sentai Filmworks

so it might just get a release here in R1, just maybe a sub only release, so fanboys will cry,
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the way Funi is licensing things. A couple of A list titles, some "your milage may vary" shows, and shows all about the fanservice seems to be a really solid idea. Boobs are always gonna sell, so its not really a big chance like other shows might be. Aim low and shoot high!
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Hurray for Heaven's Lost Property getting licensed! spoiler[I've been dying to see the famous flying panties scene.] Heard it was pretty damn funny.

It's one of the most awesome scenes ever.

Also, the song about Tomoki's nipples. It's better than it sounds.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
redranger wrote:
A bunch of shit as usual for funimation.

lheiskell wrote:
Thanks for the support.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly and now Crappy and Smelly FUNimation Guy.

Well, maybe if FUNi licensed different shows for different people... Not just "the same damn thing in different costumes" in the hopes of keeping the dedicated fanbase... :idea:

Samurai 7
Rin ~ Daughters of Mnemosyne
Fruits Basket
Trinity Blood
Sekirei
Eden of the East

I rest my case.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly and Diverse FUNimation Guy

Funimation is very diverse, but also licensed some pretty exceptional titles in the last decade. I don't know what the above poster is mad though, at least Funimation dubs most, if not all their titles and put's actual effort into dubbing them.

I am not going to say names, the process of elimination does a good enough job for that.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
FUNi should license titles like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, "Fight Ippatsu Juuden-chan," Hakuouki, and Betrayal Knows My Name (Uraboku).

And they should spend less time and money filling their charts with animu that features more naked women than anything solid. (You know. Like engaging plot and likeable characters.)

You best be trollin.... And so what if they have fanservice anime. Its guaranteed to sell anyway.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Whatever, I'm glad to see more simulcasts for Funi and a new full license. I see nothing to be bothered by. Frankly I'm just glad they seem to be chugging along despite the looming sale of doom possibility.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Is there a smiley for "very confused"?

Anime that doesn't feature "young men getting beaten down, and/or wussified, by women (in order to please the otaku fanbase)."

What's so confusing about it?

So its ok if girls get whacked with a baseball bat, then get turned on by it in "Fight Ippatsu Juuden-chan"?

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Funi has plenty of Outside the Box stuff, look at Mushishi and Shin-chan, no fanservice there unless you're fans of 4chan's mascot.

And notice how when you call the troll on their trolling, they magically disappear...Funny how that works...

I second the requests for licenses for Reborn and Dennou Coil, and I wanna add one more. Seitokai Yakuindomo. I'm sorry, but that series got me. It was one of those shows where you're like "seriously?" Oh and we need Working! as well.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
agila61 wrote:
As opposed to watching it on Crunchyroll? Huh?

Well, I'm watching on Crunchyroll, and will still be doing so, but it's nice to know that a physical release and a dub will be coming too for Heaven's Lost Property Forte. Not that I know if the person you responded to cares about those things, but it's not something you can expect just from Crunchyroll simulcasting it.
When they referred to legit access, I did not read it as "Finally! I can get this on DVD!". I read it as referring to the stream that Funimation is starting in sync with Crunchyroll's free stream.

NMCoT, but good for Flying Pants fans that they can get their physical media.

Actually, I guess that timing answers my question from page 1 ~ this is part of the Kadokawa Pictures package deal, and AFAIR Kadokawa pictures was the one that licensed Strike Witches #1 to streaming for a period counted in hours rather than days or weeks. Then they started with these "season+30 days" deals, which Strike Witches II was on, and which may have upset Funimation when they could not get immediate streaming rights.

But OTOH, Funimation seems willing to accept a delay of a week or two from first broadcast, and its the one week subscriber preview period that is most important to Crunchyroll's business model.

So its seems likely that Kadokawa Pictures has licensed Crunchyroll exclusive streaming rights for one week per episode ~ the subscriber preview period ~ then non-exclusive streaming rights through to the end of the season plus 30 days. That then allows Kadokawa Pictures to include streaming rights from the same time it goes to ad-streaming at Crunchy, and of course not renew the stream at Crunchyroll when the 30 days deadline hits, so by the time Funimation has finished the dub, Funimation will have the exclusive bundle of rights that it prefers.

And of course, given its exclusive week, Crunchyroll is one way or another probably carrying half or more of the cost of the subtitle, making the simulcast period cash flow look better on Funimation's books.

No muss, no fuss, everyone gets what they most want, and by streaming on Crunchy, Hulu and possibly YouTube, the series gets just about the widest exposure possible for a stream. The only way to get wider exposure would be if Google would weigh legit sources more heavily than bootleg sources in their search ranking, which they obviously won't do since they want the legit businesses to pay for the privilege.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what people are bitching about...

...noitaminA is practically the only solid timeslot airing good shows nowadays. Clearly too deep for [do not generalize or insult other users whether directly or through generic offensive labels]. Keep up the good work, Funi. Good to see at least one company has taste.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978, it's only ever okay if it follows the same principal the link I am about to show is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=752_SZIqoYc
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Super happy to see Kuragehime picked up, especially by FUNi!! Anime hyper
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Funi has plenty of Outside the Box stuff, look at Mushishi and Shin-chan, no fanservice there unless you're fans of 4chan's mascot.

Yotsuba?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank You Lance and Funimation for continuing with the NoitaminA shows. Looking forward to Kuragehime and new Shiki eps.!

--- and I just got my set #1 of Oh! Edo Rocket!. Thank you for the physical release and dub for this truly original show. The people who are saying that you guys never give us anything different really need to watch this show from start to end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7