• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: DmC Devil May Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aultra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Satsujinki wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear: I was referring chiefly to ranking deficits. You can pretty much cheese the game by going to a particular area in a given level and wail on enemies until you collect so many style points, that anything you might get docked for will be almost entirely negligible; because the ranking system is directly tied to your overall score instead of strictly per-aspect like it was before.

If another is made, Capcom will have to either make another prequel/interquel in house, or continue to give Ninja Theory creative license - it's one or the other because Dante's family situation, upbringing and motivations are completely different now. No one can use this game to fill in any blanks on the other games. It's kind of surreal how they've attempted to market the game as Shakespearean in its storytelling when the dialogue is so on the nose that it actually showcases how it's anything but.

As far as I know there are no areas that can be farmed for points. Then again I didn't backtrack to find them, and most levels it's hard to backtrack since the levels change, so they could very well be areas where they spawn.

Is that really how they marketed the story? Yeah what I mostly ment was if Ninja Theory was to make a new one, they would take the advice that people wanted more of the humor of the older games and less of the new sense of humor.

I also can't speak much for the earlier DMC for score and skipping section since usually I just killed everything in my way.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/get-ninja-theorys-dmc-devil-may-cry-pulled-shelves/4sd9LD6P

Heh. Even I think its a bit silly how far some people are going with the hate now.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
That was the single most retarded piece of bullshit I've seen all day.

See, this is why no one should give a toss on how fans think, or what they want. Because when given the chance for an open forum, they opt to make obnoxious jackasses out of themselves that just embarrasses all parties by simple association. "Spill.com" has a popular saying in these situations: "F*ck yo' thoughts."

At this point, the "true fans" have only proven to the world on how bloody wrong they are about everything, and how utterly irrelevant and unwanted they really are.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/get-ninja-theorys-dmc-devil-may-cry-pulled-shelves/4sd9LD6P

Heh. Even I think its a bit silly how far some people are going with the hate now.

Maybe there's some basis in "video games make people angry" after all. Not even Final Fantasy XIII and Other M haters went that far out of their way.
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
To methaniel: The way the games graded you after each level is a little different each game, but basically, you had to get S ranks on whatever criteria it grades you on in order to get the best ranking (naturally). Compare this to the new game, where you just have to get a really high score which cuts out the middleman.

Here's an example. Taking that much damage would normally net you a B rank if you managed to S everything else, and here he can get a SS on time and still get a SSS overall.

...and that petition is ridiculous.
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
That was the single most retarded piece of bullshit I've seen all day.

See, this is why no one should give a toss on how fans think, or what they want. Because when given the chance for an open forum, they opt to make obnoxious jackasses out of themselves that just embarrasses all parties by simple association. "Spill.com" has a popular saying in these situations: "F*ck yo' thoughts."

At this point, the "true fans" have only proven to the world on how bloody wrong they are about everything, and how utterly irrelevant and unwanted they really are.

Well, it would be unfair just to lump all of the fans together and stereotype them just because a few of the crowd act in an asinine manner. There are those on the opposite side who are all-for the new game who act in the same way. I do find it quite ridiculous and humourous that they actually went as far as to petition the White House.

PrecisionCrab wrote:
What...wha-wha-wha...egogorgork! ZAC! What the F*CK are you doing!?!?!

Haven't you learned? You're not allowed to think positively of this game! Or think negatively of the fanbase! Your credibility as a journalist is now thrown into question by a bunch of bitchy fantards! For shame. And I really thought you knew how the game was played...

I'm gonna go and watch Elcor Hamlet now.

No offense, but you yourself went off on a tangent there, showing your immaturity. Don't go around calling people who genuinely like the original DMC series "fantards", it just provokes them more and starts unnecessary disputes.

At least try and be constructive with your points and maybe explain why this game is good instead of bashing the old series of games and mocking its fans.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Geez. It isn't enough that that hack street artist Shepard Fairey stole the whole 'OBEY' schtick wholesale from They Live, but now a bunch of hack game designers did too? I only played the original game a bit, but friends are really into the series. This is a really odd

Plus they totally have the whole Anonymous / Occupy hacktivist movement in this game.

It seems the only thing that didn't really 'inspire' this game.. was the original Devil May Cry.

Conan-san wrote:
In other words, a solid B game punted down to D, if not F, because Ninja Theory tried and failed miserably to pull a gritty 90's comics reboot. Really, this is a fair way to fall after Enslaved.
Wow. They really did pull a DC New 52. Yet at least Superman isn't dropping F-Bombs every two panels to seem edgy. Someone must have been watching too many Scorsese or Mamet films and thought the only important part of the dialogue was the f-word. &*$#ing idiots.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I don't know. I thought the story in Enslaved was pretty good.

In the case of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, Ninja Theory hired writers from outside the company, Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland respectively, while Alex Garland reportedly supervised the story of this one.

It's a shame but it shows that this is Ninja Theory's first solo work, well not completely solo, but definitely further off the rails. >_>
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
PikminExpert wrote:
Well, it would be unfair just to lump all of the fans together and stereotype them just because a few of the crowd act in an asinine manner. There are those on the opposite side who are all-for the new game who act in the same way. I do find it quite ridiculous and humourous that they actually went as far as to petition the White House.

Hm. Interesting perspective. Mind if I show you mine?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry

Right. See, it isn't just a "few of the crowd." More like "vast majority." Hence, my lumpification is jutified.

PikminExpert wrote:
No offense, but you yourself went off on a tangent there, showing your immaturity. Don't go around calling people who genuinely like the original DMC series "fantards", it just provokes them more and starts unnecessary disputes.

At least try and be constructive with your points and maybe explain why this game is good instead of bashing the old series of games and mocking its fans.

Ever tried debating religion with a man of god? That's about as constructive as you can get with these people, since common sense or logic isn't high up on the food chain. When you're dealing with lower animals, sarcasm is just about all that's left.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
So what does that link prove?
It shows a series of threads ranging from questions to complaints to defense as with any discussion forum on media. No one who petitioned the Whitehouse for certain, it's up for debate whether whoever did that was either stupid in their hate for the game or a troll attempting to use a new tool to discredit the "anti" fanbase.

GameFAQs users are quite aware than they don't always represent the majority as well, even if the backlash or rebranding probably hurt the sales. Likewise, ANN users don't think the same as the kid you would catch watching DBZ Kai and such.
omidus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
lol so far the hate in this thread boils down to "I watched videos and I'm going with other people's opinion" or "that's not Dante, because his hair isn't white" or my favorite yet "don't care what other positive things people have to say"

pretty much sounds like the same bunch of haters that's been posting around the internet.

Pretty sure the reviewer went through the game on easy, actually I take it back after reading the so called review. I'm pretty sure he went to youtube watched some videos and decided to plagiarize off of the comments that were left by other users. The only original thought was probably the reference made to Prince of Persia.

Stick to anime and not game reviews. I don't come here to read your half-witted review that is basically youtube comments. I come here to read about anime news!

oh here you go Marcus Beer, one of the more honest voice in video game industry!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/5g74ci/annoyed-gamer-sony---s-silly-secrets
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The gameplay is actually okay-ish, it's heavily dumbed down to appeal to casual gamers with how easy it is to combo now. The story is crap, but the old games weren't anything too special either. The visuals are a treat to the eyes, with quite a bit of attention to detail, although as you play along it felt a tad repetitive. Makes you wish they were a bit more diverse in setting.

Overal it's not Duke Nukem levels of bad, in fact, it might be worth a buy once it's price goes down to $20 or something if it wasn't a Devil May Cry game, but I hope the game bombs just as hard as Duke nonetheless.

Here's the reason why I can not support this game.

If I used my money to buy this game, I will be telling Capcom that I am fine with dumbing down DmC into a casual game and I will be fine with them butchering a well-established character for this new Dante.

In short, I hope this game does badly enough to discourage any and all future attempts to do what this game tried to do. Teach them a lesson. If you want to make casual game to pander to the casuals, make a new franchise of casual games for them to enjoy, don't dirty an existing one. If you want to make a character that is nothing like Dante, make him in a different franchise with next to no connection at all with the pre-existing one.

This game is quite literally the video game version of Dragonball Evolution.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

This game is quite literally the video game version of Dragonball Evolution.

No, this is quite literally the video game version of Dragonball Evolution.

I'm about halfway through DmC and think it's probably the best game in the series, maybe other than the first one. It's gorgeous, fun, stupid and funny.
PikminExpert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
spoiler[These are my thoughts on the gameplay of DmC:

The gameplay overall is mediocre and definitely sub-par when compared to DMC3 and DMC4. Dante doesn't have any styles in this game, and the game is missing a lock-on feature. I dislike how you have to use certain devil weapons or angel weapons to attack certain enemies, and certain weapons are also overpowered (i.e. Arbiter). I had to start the game on Nephilim (which is the highest default difficulty), and it is still quite easy. Enemies pathetically telegraph their attacks, and you can also mash buttons to do sufficient damage. They also over-simplified the control scheme by making evade one button, and the launcher (high time) one button as well.

I also don't like the story behind Dante and Vergil in this game. The relationship between Dante and Vergil develops almost oppositely in DmC when compared to DMC3. In DMC3, the two strongly disliked one another from the beginning of the game. As the game progressed, they both realized that they didn't want to fight each other and still cared for one another; the ending to the game was more dramatic and sad. In the ending of DmC, Vergil suddenly decides to turn "evil" and oppose Dante, and the lead up to the fight with him is really melodramatic.]
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
You know what argument I really hate? When people complain the enemies in DmC are too simple.

Simply put, they've ALWAYS been too simple - too easy. They've always been wobbling on strings, begging to get chopped up. The exact opposite of enemies from, say Ninja Gaiden.

DMC games have never been about the difficulty, but rather how stylishly you can fling the mooks around. The fierce combos, air juggles and complex maneuvers. So really, I find the whole enemy difficulty argument sort of a bad joke. Not to mention, conveniently coincidental. No one's ever bothered to point out how absurdly easy, how utterly pedestrian the enemies have been since DMC1, until now that is. I guess those who can't grasp at straws find the next best thing in grasping grass.

When somebody has an opinion that can be backed up, I can respect it. Like if you dislike the relationship between characters, then that's that. We have differing views, but no real reason to debate anything (unless you yourself start a fight). Dislike the soundtrack? That's too bad, but hey, that's your thing and it's just not right of me to force my own tastes onto you. But the moment you get into the technicalities of the game - the systemic analysis of it, that debate right there is just ripe with hypocrisy for someone like me to chew up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6