• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winds of Amnesia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Bamboo: Just wondering if you had any plans to stream Little Busters at all?
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
gingi789 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
@TotalPotato:

I don't know about that. In episode two while spoiler[doing the fortune-telling she did have the ability to zero-in on a specific person. She also seemed to uncover things that didn't seem to be on their mind.]

Nocturne123 wrote:
Hmm, no Haganai NEXT?

I don't know if Bamboo has seen it, and even if she has it isn't to my knowledge being legally streamed.

Funimation has it. And considering it's all over the ANN webpage (for advertising), I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're streaming it.

Yeah Funimation has it. I figured since it's a sequel, to a series she may not have liked (completely guessing here, could be way wrong), it won't be on the stream. Which is fine, just thought it odd it isn't wasnt featured.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't know that FUNimation had Haganai NEXT, but there it is on their list of episodes. I guess I didn't know because it's such a huge delay-cast. Episode four airs in fifty-nine hours and FUNi still haven't put up episode three.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That would have gotten the point across too, but it wouldn't have been effective either. Getting the point across is not good enough. We were obviously supposed to feel sympathy for her, but all I felt was irritation. Those ten minutes were trying so hard to manipulate our emotions (instead of just laying her story out on the proverbial table and letting us be drawn in naturally to her plight) that it came across as almost a parody. It certainly didn't let me suspend my disbelief. I hate it when the writing is so in-your-face about how manufactured the drama is.

I was going to rant a little bit about this particular show, but you know what? This just about sums it up. Except that my reaction wasn't mere apathy, but actually mild disgust. I'm certainly not inclined to continue watching, even if it does get better. The second half of the first ep was somewhat charming, but not good enough to erase the bad aftertaste left over from the first half.

That aside, here's what I am watching this season^^ It's kind of a weak season for me, but I'm keeping busy with sequels and shows continuing from last season:

1. Chihayafuru 2: Yep, it's fantastic. I really like the new characters, and I had tears in my eyes at the exact same point that Bamboo did. My opinion and hers do not coincide very much this season, but I agree with her one hundred percent about this one! Very Happy

2. Magi: This one just gets better and better! I really like all of the characters, and the action scenes are great too. I never expected to like this series as much as I do, but it's become one of my most anticipated shows each week. Even though he's annoying at times, I've really been enjoying Alibaba's development. I can't wait for Sinbad to get his metal vessels back--that will no doubt be incredibly badass.

3. Zetsuen no Tempest: Still enjoying the heck out of this show. It's a unique kind of excitement to watch a show and not know until the end whether it's genius or has been talking out of its a** the entire time. Only time will tell! xD I'm really liking Hanemura though, and Samon just gets more likeable with each passing episode. As always, Mahiro and Yoshino are fascinating protagonists.

4. Maoyuu: I'm enjoying the weekly economics lessons, and I like the overall laidback atmosphere of the series. Lady Knight is my favorite character right now. She's awesome. Smile I hope Hero is more involved in later episodes, though. I want my cute banter, dammit! Sad

5. Senyuu: This is a miniseries, but it's hilarious. I'm usually laughing through its entire four-minute duration.

6. Amnesia: So far I'm enjoying it. It's miles better than Hiiro no Kakera and Arcana Famiglia were at this point, and that's good enough for me! xD There's an interesting mystery at the heart of this show, and I really hope the series takes full advantage of it. Not getting my hopes up, though. So far, it's just very atmospheric and good-looking. I actually like the gradient hair, and especially the weird eyes. This isn't a "good" show, necessarily, but it's holding my interest for now.

7. Hakkenden: I'm on the fence about this one. I like the youkai, and I want to know more about Genpachi, but it's pretty dull so far. I feel like something this bizarre shouldn't be able to be boring, but somehow it is. I'll probably give it one more episode to get more interesting, but otherwise, I'm out. This is a busy semester anyway, so I'll probably have to drop a couple shows after a while.

I'm not caught up on Psycho-Pass or Hunter x Hunter, but I'm going to work on those whenever I get the chance. Haven't gotten around to watching the new Hetalia yet, but I'll be watching that one too.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
I like Amnesia, but probably because, at least as of Episode 3, it seems to be a bit of a fresh twist on the whole reverse harem thing. Yeah, the girl has no memories, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants her to regain her true memories. Instead, those around her seem more interested in making her into the kind of woman they want her to be. And I feel sorry for her - It's got to be hell trying to figure out who you are when everyone around is more concerned with molding you into who they want. I think it's better than Arcana Famiglia (which I dropped around episode 5) and Hiiro no Kakera, which I felt obligated to finish (despite the second season being miles better than the first) solely to have some sort of conclusion.

Anyways, this season, I'm watching Amnesia, Kotoura-san, Chihayafuru 2 and Gdgd Fairies Season 2. I didn't think I'd like the Gdgd girls simply because of how the fairies looked, but, it's a pretty funny 15 minutes.

Last edited by Cutiebunny on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Kotoura below MDJ? I'd like to hear the rationale behind that.

Personally, MDJ is my favorite show of this season. It's got nice action, good music, cute characters, and pretty tight plotting.

Where did you get that Kotoura was below Problem Children? It is miles above Problem Children, because it's a better show.

I'm also really enjoying Problem Children, but it does NOT have "tight plotting." Are you serious? It has almost no plotting whatsoever. It's definitely a guilty pleasure show for me right now.

Three totally random kids get a letter that says, "Let go of your friends and families and lives if you want to see what you can do with your powers!" and they're all like, "Yeah, okay! Let's do that!" Then they're thrown into this unexplained world in which there are gods and demons and animal people, and all the kids are like, "Yeah! Cool! Gift games!" And then when they realize they're from different places around the world, Black Rabbit says, "Actually, you're from parallel worlds!" BECAUSE WHY NOT.

Come on. This show is an absolute mess.

Oops, I meant "above".

Anyway, by "tight plotting", I'm talking about how it's moving along. There's three kids. They have cool powers. There's this massive world (that's 10 times the diameter of Earth). They fight crimeparticipate in gift games. It's simple and consistent in my opinion. I love super-complex and massively-interwoven plots as much as the next guy, but that's not the kind of show MDJ is trying to be.

Also, a story doesn't have to explain everything. BB (Black Rabbit) already gave a good overview of the gift games in the first episode. The GGs are matter to the protagonists the most, so they get explained front and center. Then episode 2 explained demon lords. One of the fun things about conworlds is that you learn about then as the story goes on...which is what MDJ is doing in the first place.

You are way to hard on MDJ/problem children I think. I think that does a good job with providing us with the info we need to know when we need to know it without being to info dumpy. the characters have had fairly good introductions that let us know who they are and what they have been through, and give us an idea of what motivates them. the world is interesting and also fairly well introduced I think since it shows how the games work and the effects they have on the world that everyone is in. honestly I think that the three are happy to be there because they like it more then their original world.
I have bamboo has more of a problem with the show kinda being a anything goes fantasy world more then anything else. that said I think that it is doing a fine job now and that it will either skate through it all or fall through the ice and start violating it's own rules.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Huh. I didn't know that FUNimation had Haganai NEXT, but there it is on their list of episodes. I guess I didn't know because it's such a huge delay-cast. Episode four airs in fifty-nine hours and FUNi still haven't put up episode three.

I actually dont care about it being a "delay" cast. Between work, gaming, and anime, as long as it comes out, I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't really care if it comes out 4 days later. At least it isnt months after the fact. Third ep isnt out because it only airs on tuesdays here. Plus, even though it's just a little bit, it actually contributes to making more.

I like binge-ing anime in one go much better anyways, so maybe that is why it doesnt bother me.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
I am not reviewing Haganai NEXT or Little Busters because I never reviewed the first seasons.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Ouch...I didn't think Bamboo would place Amnesia that low. Shocked
I think it's much better than your usual reverse harem anime. Not as good as Hakuouki but way better than Hiiro no Kakera or...Arcana Famiglia. Mad

Yes, it's confusing, yes the whole 'don't go to the hospital' thing seems ridiculous, but there is a reason for all of this.

But I really don't know how they're going to put all the routes in 12 episodes. They should have just animated Ukyo's(the long green haired guy who laughed like a maniac...believe me, there's more to him than meets the eye) route since it's the one which is the best imo plus it covers everything and it's what I feel the 'true' route.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
So yeah dtm42 basically hit the nail on the head about Kotoura , which should have its name changed to KotoManipulation. Most absurd first 10 minutes I think I've ever seen. Honestly, I've had many experiences with mentally handicapped kids with everything all the way to Down's syndrome, and none of them could be that oblivious. I dont see how this is so hard to spot. It feels like everyone has gotten Chunibyou lol. Just accept it folks lol. Don't worry the rest of the show makes up for it, it should still have a fairly high rating compared to the other stuff from this season.

On another note I'm rather surprised to see From the New World so low... particularly that its under Pshyco Pass especially with its last few eppies. Could've sworn it was the best series of last season, at least. It cleaned up everything that people thought were loose ends.
I thought that having an unpredictable story where no one could guess what would happen next was one of the things people most value and kept people the most interested in a work. I guess, according to this review, that's not the case.

Outside of these two points, I generally agree with the list.
Lord of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@TotalPotato:

I don't know about that. In episode two while spoiler[doing the fortune-telling she did have the ability to zero-in on a specific person.]

You seemed to have overlooked one basic fact.

spoiler[When Haruka was sitting under that cloak behind MIfune, several students walked away angry. and arrows were pointing at the people who those thoughts actually belonged to. This meant to show us that Haruka couldn't see whose thoughts belonged to who, and gave everyone the wrong 'fortune'. It wasn't until she moved to the front, where she could actually see the person, that she could tell who thought what. Of course, by that time, Moritani sat in front of her, whose thoughts made quite clear to Haruka what she thought of her.]

Quote:
spoiler[She also seemed to uncover things that didn't seem to be on their mind.].

When and where did that happen?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Glad to see that Bamboo is enjoying Kotoura-san as it is my number two show right now, though still a bit behind Chihayafuru 2 (of course). Minami-ke Tadaima has so far been much closer to the first series than the other sequels, so I've been enjoying it a lot. I have mixed feelings on Tamako Market. If the bird is talking or interacting with characters on the screen then I pretty much hate it. If it's instead focusing on Tamako, her friends, and the shopkeepers then I enjoy it. Sadly, way too much time is spent on that bird. Lastly, I find GJ-bu to be quite entertaining. I wouldn't call it 'good' by any stretch of the imagination, but it works for me.

I'm a bit sad to see Hunter x Hunter no longer on The Stream. I must have missed an announcement. You didn't drop it during Yorkshin did you Bamboo? Anyway, Green Island has been pretty fun what with Bisuke's thorough training.
Relenus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, Amnesia looks terrible. And more than anything, I don't remember any of that stuff Bamboo described happening in the game. It doesn't even look like it takes place in a spooky medieval castle and I'm pretty sure Daniel isn't a Japanese teenage girl. I'm losing hope that they'll ever even get to stitchface or the water monster.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
I just saw episodes 1-3 of Sasami-san@Ganbaranai the show is really weird but it actually does explain everything within those three episodes pretty much. I am not going to watch anymore of it until it stops airing so I can find out if it dive bombs or not since it easily could, but it actually is setting itself up as an interesting not insanely weird story (note I didn't like episode 1).
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Regarding Kotoura-san, I must say that I can agree with the posters who say she had no idea what she was doing was bad or that it was the reason she was being ostracized. I'm 32 years old now and I STILL don't know why I was treated as a freak when I was the same age as her(both as a child and a young adult.) I wasn't doing anything other than being myself and for whatever reason, it led to my being generally disliked, bullied, made a fool of, made fun of, being told I wasn't human etc and was why I spent much of my time from pre-school to high school sophomore life in a suicidal depression. So I will gladly be a counterpoint to anyone who says it was an easy thing to learn because it was not for me, and if it wasn't for me, it wasn't for others.

Maoyu.......I like it and I don't consider it to be too fanservicy. At least it's not shoving camel toe in your face every frame(an act I truly find reprehensible).

Still enjoying Ixion Saga here, glad to see some....plot?.....finally show up, though.

Space Brothers is amazing and coming close to matching Planetes as the best reality-based space show I can't stop recommending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10