• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Time to Make the Doughnuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You wouldn't argue that it is okay to steal from people wealthier than you just because they have it better. So it's plain wrong to argue that Caucasians or men (or Caucasian men) should not have their current rights defended just because they have it easier than other groups.

All rapes are bad, whether the victim is a man or a woman. All ethnic violence and persecution is bad, no matter what the respective skin colours are of the respective groups. Racism, sexism and all other negative prejudices should not be tolerated no matter who the victims are, and certainly should not be excused based on past behaviour of people who are now long-dead.

History as a mitigating factor doesn't even come into the equation. No-one is responsible for the crimes of their forefathers, so to argue that people are allowed to be jerks to those who had privileged ancestors is plain stupid. Women underwent hundreds of years of persecution just from our Anglo-Saxon culture, so does that mean women now get an equal amount of centuries to persecute men? Of course not, that's ridiculous. Equality and fairness is the key to a healthy, stable society, not tit-for-tat revenge.

This isn't complicated, it's common sense.

Nope, you still don't get it.

Bringing up "well there's racism against whites too!" in every scenario where an act of racism or oppression occurs is a dumb smokescreen thrown up so the people saying it don't have to deal with the fact that racism is still very much a factor in this country, and there are still necessary corrections and rebalances that need to happen to make up for hundreds of years of systematic cultural suppression of the rights and well-being of non-male, non-caucasian groups.

I don't care if people are also mean to moe fans, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them shaming and being dickbags to fujoshi, and bringing it up in a discussion like this is, as I said, just a dumb smokescreen to avoid having to actually discuss what's happening and stick to the topic at hand.

Lots of idiotic Reddit logic being thrown around in here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@Zac:

Thought you were off to enjoy your Sunday.

I'm not saying that racism towards whites or sexism towards men is as bad as the current racism and sexism towards non-whites and women respectively. I'm saying that we shouldn't excuse or ignore racism and sexism no matter who the victims are.

Yes, there's still a lot of racism and sexism towards non-whites and women, far more (and far more damaging) than exists towards whites and men. I'm not looking to excuse racism and sexism towards non-whites and women just because other more-fortunate groups have some aimed at them. Quite the opposite in fact, and I made that very clear in my earlier post.

Prejudices should be tackled where-ever they are, no matter who they are aimed against. It's as simple as that. You're looking to complicate the issue by bringing up the past, but the past has no bearing on how we tackle prejudices right now. I prefer a colour-blind approach; if someone is being unfairly treated based on the colour of their skin or their gender or their sexual orientation, then they should be defended, no matter who they are or what their great-grandfather did.

----------

I'm not trying to be pushy here, but on a side note, could you please deal with this guy?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that we're discussing an analogy between hating moe fans and racism absurd? Hating moe fans is more like hating people who do that stupid 'galloning' thing or Hippies; a little crass at worst.

But have you been sucked into the shell game? The original subject was some moe fans, who cop this crap themselves, then turning around and hating on fans of material aimed at fijoshi.

The justification for engaging in that hating on fans of material aimed at fijoshi has now revolved around into,
dtm42 wrote:
... All rapes are bad, whether the victim is a man or a woman. All ethnic violence and persecution is bad, no matter what the respective skin colours are of the respective groups. ...

(1) Getting together in internet gangs to harass people on internet forums is not in the same category of action as rapes or ethnic violence or ethnic persecution.

(2) History, shmistory, blacks are TODAY stopped and frisked for the crime of walking while black, stopped and pulled over for the crime of driving while black, sometimes shot down for the crime of wearing a hoodie while black. Women are today pervasively discriminated against in hiring, promotion, and firing decisions.

Its quite bizarre for the excuse or distraction offered for some moe fans mixing blatant sexism in with juvenile harassment of fans of some other genre of anime is that some other people are mean to moe fans. The whole "there is justice for none until there is justice for all" actually argues the opposite, that no matter what shit they cop, its not justification for turning around and dishing it out to others, with a big additional helping of sexism mixed in.

And in addition to being a paper thin argument on its face, the whole reverse racism argument has no relevance to any of this. None of the shit that moe fans cop for being moe fans has anything to do with sexism against them for being male. There's no reverse sexism in place. Just anti-sexism: the best way to avoid criticism for acting like a sexist is to not act like a sexist.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Never been on Reddit, but you basically sound like "feminists"" who downplay men being victims of rape or domestic violence. Specifically legislators who objected to gender-neutral anti-DV bills on the grounds that women would be falsely accused of being abusive. A few years after the "Anti Violence Against Women and Their Children" law has been on the books, and we have actual reports of men being victims of domestic violence.

Guess what the local women's rights advocates had to say.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I'm not trying to be pushy here, but on a side note, could you please deal with this guy?

Didn't see the thread, but it's been taken care of now.

And with that, I now realize it is in fact Saturday and I'm off until someone inevitably complains that this thread is out of hand.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
*walks in casually*

So does The Boondocks count as a show that's American inspired anime that's rather successful? Love the show myself, and I appreciate all the great stuff Aaron Mcgruder drops in for references. Guy also says he uses Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop as inspiration for his action sequences.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nope, you still don't get it.

Bringing up "well there's racism against whites too!" in every scenario where an act of racism or oppression occurs is a dumb smokescreen thrown up so the people saying it don't have to deal with the fact that racism is still very much a factor in this country, and there are still necessary corrections and rebalances that need to happen to make up for hundreds of years of systematic cultural suppression of the rights and well-being of non-male, non-caucasian groups.

I don't care if people are also mean to moe fans, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them shaming and being dickbags to fujoshi, and bringing it up in a discussion like this is, as I said, just a dumb smokescreen to avoid having to actually discuss what's happening and stick to the topic at hand.

I think this might be where we diverged a little, at least in our minds. At least on my side, I didn't mean that that excuse should be used in every situation. Of course in different areas of the US there is more racism than in others, no matter who it is against, and to solve it, probably would take a different approach depending on said area. The statements I made earlier were essentially rules I feel should be followed to improve said situation. Treat everyone with respect. No one is going to agree with everyone, but belittling someone and beating them down over their ethnicity or in this case moe vs fujoshi, is just moronic.

I agree with dtm42 in that a colorblind approach should be taken. Defend anyone who is being treated unfairly due to their appearance, gender, or ethnicity. I feel that's the way the whole problem will be stamped out.

Quote:
I would be stunned if this was actually true, but even if it isn't, people probably aren't throwing things in your face from before you were born. They're throwing things in your face from right now, because really, our society hasn't made as much progress as you seem to think it has.

This I actually take offense to. I have friends and acquaintances of a wide variety of backgrounds and one thing I made it a point never to do is to judge people other than by their actions and personal beliefs. I think our society has made alot of progress from the days of slavery and intolerance towards pretty much anything foreign to standard European values. For the most part we live in a society with the spreading of many cultural traditions from all around the world, entertainment from all around the world, people of different religions getting married, people marrying and forming relationships with different ethnicity's and actually not finding anything wrong with it (which used to be a huge problem in the past, hypocritically I might add as well).

Sure, there are still things that need fixed, but I'm willing to bet EVERY country on the planet that has a culturally diverse population deals with this also.

That's pretty much all I have to say about this.

BUT I completely agree the whole Moe fans hating on fujoshi is stupid. Everyone is going to like something different within the realm of anime, why bash people, especially in the same fandom, just because it's something different.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not going to make the super-moe-otaku's case for them because I don't think it's even relevant to this discussion that sometimes people make fun of them for their obsession - these are largely the most catered-to and privileged class when it comes to anime fans. They dominate message forums everywhere and try their best to control the conversation. [...] I don't care if people are also mean to moe fans, it has nothing whatsoever to do with them shaming and being dickbags to fujoshi, and bringing it up in a discussion like this is, as I said, just a dumb smokescreen to avoid having to actually discuss what's happening and stick to the topic at hand.

Aren't you being a bit excessively careless in applying social justice terms/framework? Fujoshi bashing is not an isolated phenomenon. Attacking female fans is occurring in all of male nerd culture right now. Heck, you can make a good case that it happens whenever females try to enter space males have walled off as theirs (even when they've always been there).

The same is true regarding why sexualization of males in that CM bothered some very vocal people when the sexualization of females does not. Or why some are totally cool with two girls kissing (providing they get to watch), but two guys holding hands is considered "disgusting." This is present in all entertainment--not just moe fandom. Mainly because it's present throughout the entire culture.

There is an issue of privilege. But it's not moe fan privilege--it's male privilege. Saying it's because of "moe privilege" just confuses the real issue. We don't need to invent privileges to explain it when there are better ones that actually exist due to long-standing social policy.

And on a side note, there's nothing stopping someone from enjoying say K-On! and also liking that KyoAni CM. I liked both.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that we're discussing an analogy between hating moe fans and racism absurd? Hating moe fans is more like hating people who do that stupid 'galloning' thing or Hippies; a little crass at worst.

I do, actually--this is why I didn't use a metaphor of racism at first because I thought it was trivializing racism TOO much.

And then the thread devolved into one anyway.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes.

That's like asking why women get to rail against misogyny but men don't get to rail against "misandry"--the former is FAR more common and ingrained into the culture than the latter (assuming the latter even exists)

Except surrounding the fujoshi/moé fan hostility, there's the bigger context of general hostility within the fandom, and I'm sorry, but, in the words of Dr. King, "An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

You can't just declare something negligible because you think it's negligible. Just like fujoshi and people like Zac are pissed that there's so much hostility toward fujoshi (As they rightfully should be), moé fans are pissed about the hostility toward moé fans, and that's also something anyone who's against hostility in the anime community should also be pissed about.

"If you're railing against racism toward black people, why aren't you also railing against racism toward white people?" This is what you're basically arguing.

And the answer is "because that creates the illusion that somehow the two are equal in size, measure, cultural context and relevance, muddies the conversation and offers those looking to apologize or defend the nastiness aimed at fujoshi an excuse to do so." I'm not going to make the super-moe-otaku's case for them because I don't think it's even relevant to this discussion that sometimes people make fun of them for their obsession - these are largely the most catered-to and privileged class when it comes to anime fans. They dominate message forums everywhere and try their best to control the conversation. The content that gets produced now is largely aimed at pleasing them and their specific tastes. People mocking them isn't the same as that same privileged group ostracizing a smaller minority of fans that's largely composed of an already systemically and culturally oppressed class, women.

In short, when a bunch of privileged guys who get everything they want and generally control the discussion have a few rocks thrown at them, it doesn't concern me. When that group of privileged guys starts throwing rocks at a smaller minority of fans simply because for once they're actually getting what they want, it's offensive and worth speaking up about.

Also given that you operate this page: http://sheslostcontrol.net/moe/ It's a little hard to take your equivalency fallacies seriously.

No racism should be happening against anyone anywhere. I don't care how much of a majority one race is, discrimination against an individual based purely on skin color is wrong, don't care if they're black or white. That's how I was taught, and I'm sorry I don't subscribe to this "protect everyone but whitey" school of thought regarding racism. As The King of Harts said, "I ever meet a white guy who has been the victim of racism, I would not downplay it one little bit, because racism sucks no matter what color you are." It's just as wrong to discriminate against white people as it is to discriminate against blacks/hispanics/asians/etc, and it's very wrong to imply that racism against any one group of people is any better or worse than racism against any other group of people.

To bring this back to moé, what you're basically saying to me is that moé fans don't have a right to be treated with respect by other anime fans simply because they're a majority. Further, moé fans shouldn't get offended because they're a majority, and if they do, they're expected to defend themselves (because they're a majority) while every other minority of fan gets the defense force backing them up because they're a minority.

The "they get everything they want, so they can take some insults" train of thought is remarkably immature to me. It says to me that you don't care about hostility in the anime community, or at least you don't care about it as a legitimate issue, because all you're doing by railing against the people who hate on fujoshi, but not against the people who hate on moé fans is just paying the issue lip-service. All I'm really seeing is excuses for why moé fans deserve to be treated like shit, but other groups of fans who take flak get defended because we need to "stop the hostility within the fandom."

It's weak, Zac. It's weak reasoning, it's a weak argument, and it's a weak response to a legitimate concern. When people have stopped calling moé fans pedophiles, maybe you'll have some semblance of an argument here, but currently, it's gotta be some of the biggest BS I've seen in a long while.

PS: I fail to see how the fact that I run Taskforce MOE has any bearing on the legitimacy of my statement, but the fact that you found it appropriate to bring up speaks volumes as to the legitimacy of yours, not to mention your entire standpoint serves as a nice reminder of why I started Taskforce MOE in the first place.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
I am aganist all forms of racism. there is one problem with arguments that say everyone suffers it. that is that they pay more attention to smaller and less significant cases of injustice this is because it is a more unique case because it happens to a group it normally does not happen to. this is unfair to groups that commonly face it and do not have their issues talked about equally.

That said you need to talk about it still otherwise you ignore victums just because they are part of a "privilaged" section. you can't just brush off this argument becuase someone you may not like says it.

either way leaning to far in one direction does in a strange way reinscribe it in one way or the other.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Hate to say it, but I was actually kind of interested the guys talking about their taxes (I cringed when Zac said he has a "box of receipts" that is apparently only dealt with annually), but yeah, personal finances are probably not something you want to be broadcasting to a mass audience.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hate to say it, but I was actually kind of interested the guys talking about their taxes (I cringed when Zac said he has a "box of receipts" that is apparently only dealt with annually), but yeah, personal finances are probably not something you want to be broadcasting to a mass audience.

Ya do not get me started on mine which I really need to start dealing with a lot more...
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Ya do not get me started on mine which I really need to start dealing with a lot more...

I give props to those itemizing their taxes. I would find it hard to keep all of the receipts I have throughout the year either without losing them or just feeling like throwing them away. But depending on what you do for a living it can definitely get you much more money back.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Lord, I remember helping my wife with her taxes when she was running a small boutique ... while not identical, I'm confident that people who earn a lot of their income as independent contractors working on a project basis have much bigger headaches come tax time than most ordinary working stiffs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8