• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Has Manga in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
I like the show too, but I'll never hold back on criticizing the rabid fans, they do make themselves easy and impulsive targets. I won't tell people I like the show in real life, not because I'm afraid I'll be judged for watching MLP, but that I'll associated with any of the vocal fandoms.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
@opn your mean ecchi I bash ecchi not moe Anime hyper. But I usually wait till I watch the first ep Anime hyper. And yeah bad fans ruin everything. I've met so many bad/crazy anime fans, bronies, gamers etc I'm surprised I can still like anything at all...but meh whatcha gonna do.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Random trivia: the Japanese title translates literally as "Friends are Magic." Which isn't to say the US title can't translate perfectly into Japanese (友情は魔法).

Of course, the thing I'm waiting for is the manga to be published in English and translated by someone who's never watched the show in his life, doesn't know who the characters are, and seems to think that the English language itself is vaguely offensive.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@opn your mean ecchi I bash ecchi not moe Anime hyper. But I usually wait till I watch the first ep Anime hyper. And yeah bad fans ruin everything. I've met so many bad/crazy anime fans, bronies, gamers etc I'm surprised I can still like anything at all...but meh whatcha gonna do.

They're both pretty sexist genres for the most part. Razz
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
So,"My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic" is going to get a manga. Why all the drama? There's already a "My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic" comic and I don't see any problem with it. Why do we have to have such a melodramatic reaction to it like we got from those like Psycho_Despair?
It's utterly ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how the Japanese handle the material. Is it just me or are a lot of people on this forum making a big to do about nothing?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
StormSky92 wrote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of why are they tainting anime/manga with the filth that is MLP.

It terrifies me to think that My Little Pony will technically be on topic for anime/manga forums all over the internet now.

I think we need to scare you some more then in order to help you learn something
That goes for almost everyone who is thinking stuff like this, or hates that this show in particularly is getting a manga. you would not be complaining about an avatar or legend of korrea manga now would you.
and why is this bad but the idea of sherlock manga is awesome to people.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Once again: the melodramatic histrionics in this thread are absolutely hilarious to see.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:

Anyway i saw a episode of MLP a while back and thought it was decent but the shows fanbase makes me dislike it.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like the show too, but I'll never hold back on criticizing the rabid fans, they do make themselves easy and impulsive targets. I won't tell people I like the show in real life, not because I'm afraid I'll be judged for watching MLP, but that I'll associated with any of the vocal fandoms.

That's fine. We already do that with some anime fans. Wink

zeo1fan wrote:

It reflects a more prominent need in society today to belong to a group (any group). For example, a large number of beliebers who consistently claim that Justin Bieber 'saves them', hiding the real person behind an ideal they want to project themselves onto and then getting hurt when he 'betrays' them by demonstrating he's a real human being, which let's them create a false, one-sided intimacy so as to consolidate their belonging even further. Poor guy is caught between his fanatical fans and his fanatical haters with very few rational people in the mix.

The cult of idols. Laughing
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

It reflects a more prominent need in society today to belong to a group (any group). For example, a large number of beliebers who consistently claim that Justin Bieber 'saves them', hiding the real person behind an ideal they want to project themselves onto and then getting hurt when he 'betrays' them by demonstrating he's a real human being, which lets them create a false, one-sided intimacy so as to consolidate their belonging even further. Poor guy is caught between his fanatical fans and his fanatical haters with very few rational people in the mix.

The cult of idols. Laughing[/quote]

Happens to a lot of them. Try being in a VIXX concert. Rolling Eyes It's pretty terrifying to see people screaming and climbing over the seats declaring a baseless romantic love for Vixx that they can't reciprocate. Though that's just the polite version for what they'd REALLY like to do to them. Laughing
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Tolkein-esque plots

>_> If Tolkien wasn't spinning in his grave already he is now with this comparison.

Tolkein considered his works to be stories for children (especially The Hobbit) and was pleased to see them gain an adult fanbase outside the originally intended audience.

Sound familiar?

I'd say JRR would be pleased to see that this sort of phenomenon still happens.

Incidentally, MLP really does follow that heroic quest outline in a lot of story arcs. Heck, the first two episodes are essentially about the main character forming a fellowship to help fight a dark lord. It's just that in this case, everyone is a funny talking horse. Plus, one location on MLP is directly based on Gondor from Lord of the Rings.

A lot of people used to look down on adults who read The Hobbit, too.
I guess things never change.

(And no, I'm not insinuating that MLP is anywhere near as great a work as Tolkein's Middle Earth stories, I'm just saying strong similarities exist.)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
EVEN THE ANN's MODS ARE BRONIES TOO!? Seriously? What?

I guess it depends on what you consider a Brony. I appreciate the show and find it amusing and well made. I don't buy the merchandise or get desktop wallpaper of it or run around talking about it or anything or drawing fan art or reading/writing fan fic or any of that. I just think it's a good show and I don't see how that is a problem or hard to understand. So in the grand scheme of the fandom I'm pretty low tier, but do I like the show? Sure.

Heck, I frankly find some of the fanbase to be overzealous and outright annoying, but that doesn't detract from my own appreciation of the show and its qualities. Heck, I often feel the same way about many anime/manga fans and the even more extreme Japanophiles amongst them. Any major fanbase has that highly visible excessive sub-group that tends to cast a shadow over the whole fanbase.

I personally like seeing that the show is expanding to other markets and mediums, and I really don't get some of the hate that is cast its way. Just because the show has a large fanbase and someone might not personally like the show doesn't really justify some of the hate and venom. If you don't like it, simply don't watch it (or read it in this case), it isn't going to cause you any harm by existing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Tolkein-esque plots

>_> If Tolkien wasn't spinning in his grave already he is now with this comparison.

Tolkein considered his works to be stories for children (especially The Hobbit) and was pleased to see them gain an adult fanbase outside the originally intended audience.

Sound familiar?

I'd say JRR would be pleased to see that this sort of phenomenon still happens.

Incidentally, MLP really does follow that heroic quest outline in a lot of story arcs. Heck, the first two episodes are essentially about the main character forming a fellowship to help fight a dark lord. It's just that in this case, everyone is a funny talking horse. Plus, one location on MLP is directly based on Gondor from Lord of the Rings.

A lot of people used to look down on adults who read The Hobbit, too.
I guess things never change.

(And no, I'm not insinuating that MLP is anywhere near as great a work as Tolkein's Middle Earth stories, I'm just saying strong similarities exist.)

What do you think a gollum pony would look like? Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

What do you think a gollum pony would look like? Very Happy

"Precious"
Alexander55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
They're both pretty sexist genres for the most part. Razz

I don't see how "moe" and "ecchi" are somehow "sexist."

For me, sexism is when REAL women are denied REAL opportunities in the work force or are looked down and denied equal treatment because they are female, NOT because of what they wear or how 2D females are portrayed in a fictional animated series. How they fictional characters are portrayed in shows and series of any medium has nothing to do with "equality" and distorts the original goal of REAL equality between the genders in the REAL world we all had in mind.

Also, there are many female Anime fans I know in Tumblr who enjoy "moe", "ecchi" and/or "hentai" series regularly? Are they being "sexist" to themselves? Obviously not. They just enjoy their good dose just like some of us guys do and thats that.

Its almost like me saying how "yaoi" is somehow a "sexist" genre girls indulge into because some of the sexually suggestive oneshots, doujins and manga, and how some men are portrayed. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with girls indulging in the genre, because its a FICTIONAL genre that portrays their desires and nothing more. There is no sexism in "Yaoi" and neither there is in "moe", "ecchi", "fanservice", and yes, "hentai", because there are merely fantasy that some of us enjoy.

Keonyn wrote:
I guess it depends on what you consider a Brony. I appreciate the show and find it amusing and well made. I don't buy the merchandise or get desktop wallpaper of it or run around talking about it or anything or drawing fan art or reading/writing fan fic or any of that. I just think it's a good show and I don't see how that is a problem or hard to understand. So in the grand scheme of the fandom I'm pretty low tier, but do I like the show? Sure.

Heck, I frankly find some of the fanbase to be overzealous and outright annoying, but that doesn't detract from my own appreciation of the show and its qualities. Heck, I often feel the same way about many anime/manga fans and the even more extreme Japanophiles amongst them. Any major fanbase has that highly visible excessive sub-group that tends to cast a shadow over the whole fanbase.

I personally like seeing that the show is expanding to other markets and mediums, and I really don't get some of the hate that is cast its way. Just because the show has a large fanbase and someone might not personally like the show doesn't really justify some of the hate and venom. If you don't like it, simply don't watch it (or read it in this case), it isn't going to cause you any harm by existing.

Well, fans are fans. You'll have overzelous fans in just about every fandom.

I honestly don't have a problem with MLP existing and never said I did. I never said I "hated" any of ya, and never criticized the show myself. However, I just think some of the "Bronies" should try to calm down a bit. They are really acting like some of the extreme Anime fans that were a decade ago by shoving their fandom down in other people's throats. Above all, I don't see why "Bronies" should get any more leeway than "Japanophiles." Sure they are some amongst both who are nice people and keep it too themselves but damn.

Remember that "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony" they made? I honestly fail to see a good reason why it was created, why its somehow a "good" thing and why we ought to learn about the "Fandom." I'd rather learn about the "production qualities" of the show than the fans themselves.

I liken the Brony documentary to "America's Greatest Otaku." They both show us their "fans" and try to give us a reason to accept them. I think that's a really bad strategy if you Bronies seek "acceptance." There's a better way to do so: just keep it to yourself and you're good to go. Only introduce your favorite series when someone's willing to hear it(or are "open-minded" to do so). Razz
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
My Little Pony Can't Be This Rage-Inducing!, coming this Spring!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8