• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neptunia Anime Event Cancelled Due to Man Wielding Object

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is true, but...

Posters at 2ch have been wondering if the criminal suspect arrested at the Neptunia anime event is the same guy who purportedly attempted to storm the stage when Rie Tanaka was singing at the CLAMP Festival 2011 nearly two years ago.

Some think he is the same guy.

Rie Tanaka voiced Chii and sang many of the songs in the anime, picture CD, etc., adaptations of CLAMP's Chobits manga.

Nana Mizuki, Megumi Nakajima, Yui Makino, Sakura Tange, and Shouko Nakagawa also sang at the festival.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Reading about what happened at this "Neptunia" anime event and what happened with this lunatic going after Rie Tanaka like that has brought back reminders of some past things that happened. Ms. Tanaka should count herself lucky. Both John Lennon and Rebecca Schaffer were killed by obsessed fans. Another actress,Theresa Saldana,was almost killed by an obsessed fan.
This guy sounds like a wacko to me and a dangerous one at that. I don't know what the stalking laws are like in Japan but I hope they're very good. I've got a feeling this guy might have been stalking Ms. Tanaka. I hope this guy goes to jail for a long time.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
This is not surprising to me. The anime/seiyuu and idol industry in Japan is hugely responsible for fostering an environment in which this sort of thing will happen. The AKB48 situation earlier this year with the singer shaving her head because she was found to be having a sexual relationship with a man is also part of this overall context. This particular person is clearly troubled and he should go to jail and then should be required to seek psychological help, but the industry itself is massively to blame for facilitating the entire dynamic. After all, they frequently require their performers to agree to terms and conditions in their employment contracts that require them not to be.... humans who have normal intimate relationships with other humans. How can they claim any surprise when something like this happens?

They're reaping what they've sowed.

You’re making several claims here which you have failed to accurately back up, namely that this incident reflects on the fanbase as a whole and that relationship clauses in contracts lead to a dynamic where this sort of situation is likely to occur. You also apply blame to the anime/seiyuu and idol industry when as has been said these dynamics are not present across the board and in fact is a rare minority that do have relationship restricted clauses.

It is clear you are showing your bias against Neptunia anime or the genre in general by your first and subsequent posts. Making such an extreme logical jump from the presentation of idols as available to the viewer to causing potentially deadly attacks of a crazed individual and then coupling it with a description of said practices in a such a vulgar way paint you to be such. I would remind you that such practices occur in other various places such as American boy bands and idols, the practice while a bit offsetting is nothing new and has not been shown to induce violent tendencies.

To sum this up do not attribute blame when there is none, while there are faults to be found in the industry your own bias can cloud your judgment, this is the action of a crazed individual, not the end result of the anime/seiyuu and idol industry.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Anyway, I don't understand why they don't have some sort of metal detector, so crazy people can't get in with a damn knife.

Short version: Because it is Japan.

Longer version: Because the odds of something like this happening (in Japan) are quite low. It simply wouldn't be worth the expense (of equipment and manpower) and time (to process people funneled through the metal detector[s]).
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
The staff of the official blog of Rie Tanaka issued a statement:

http://ameblo.jp/rie-tanaka/entry-11558829199.html

Basically she's unhurt phisically save some bruises but she suffered a big mental shock. The staff cannot comment on her state at the moment, they just mention she is being taken care of to be sure she can go back to her own life.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You know its kinda really [expletive] dumb to make accusations about "Otaku" when the entire EVENT was for "otaku" and they are the ones whom this guy's actions ruined the event for.

I mean, what the fudge do you think the audience for a Neptunia live event is, precisely?

To claim that this is proof that Otaku are obvious deranged is pretty much proof that you are full of shit.
Isn't this pretty much the perception of otaku in Japan, anyway? And whenever some person goes around stabbing people or cutting up little girls, the media usually outs them as an "otaku."

It's a shame to group a large subculture of people together like that, but most people live their lives by stereotyping people in whatever particular culture as the same. Still, throwing a hissy fit about it doesn't really help your position any. I mean, bringing up some guy defending the Xbone? Zero relevance to anything in this argument.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Anyway, I don't understand why they don't have some sort of metal detector, so crazy people can't get in with a damn knife.

Short version: Because it is Japan.

Longer version: Because the odds of something like this happening (in Japan) are quite low. It simply wouldn't be worth the expense (of equipment and manpower) and time (to process people funneled through the metal detector[s]).

Pretty much. This kind of stuff is the exception, not the rule, in Japan. For every event a guy like this attacks, you have literally hundreds that go off without a hitch.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

This guy sounds like a wacko to me and a dangerous one at that. I don't know what the stalking laws are like in Japan but I hope they're very good. I've got a feeling this guy might have been stalking Ms. Tanaka. I hope this guy goes to jail for a long time.

The stalking laws in Japan are terrible when it comes to protecting people who are being stalked. In fact I remember a case not too long ago where a woman was killed by her stalker after she had reported being stalked to the police.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Titan: Yes yes, we get it, Japan is the greatest country in the world and they Just Do It Better(TM) Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Titan: Yes yes, we get it, Japan is the greatest country in the world and they Just Do It Better(TM) Rolling Eyes

In regards to crime and violence, yes, that's pretty much spot on. You can feel genuinely safe and secure in Japan. That is specifically one of the reasons that Aussie JapanChannel guy repeatedly mentions as to why he chose to live in there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Psh, if the guy was subdued, they should have continued. You can't cancel everything just because one guy had a knife.

This is where J-police officers ran away from just one guy with a baseball bat or just a nude foreigner swimming. Laughing

Nah, J-police are actually decent with everyday stuff; it's just when something turns serious level that their inexperience trips them up. (And yeah, unfortunately, J-laws and cops often enough don't take stalking as seriously.)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(And yeah, unfortunately, J-laws and cops often enough don't take stalking as seriously.)
Which is surprising, considering that they put out hysterical APBs whenever they hear about any men talking to, smiling at, standing on the same train platform as, or walking near schoolgirls.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Psh, if the guy was subdued, they should have continued. You can't cancel everything just because one guy had a knife.

This is where J-police officers ran away from just one guy with a baseball bat or just a nude foreigner swimming. Laughing

Nah, J-police are actually decent with everyday stuff; it's just when something turns serious level that their inexperience trips them up. (And yeah, unfortunately, J-laws and cops often enough don't take stalking as seriously.)

*after reading article link and watching video* My goodness Shocked

What the heck up wth these police officers in Japan, they're cowering from a unarmed man. This is really embarassing for Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
(And yeah, unfortunately, J-laws and cops often enough don't take stalking as seriously.)

Which is surprising, considering that they put out hysterical APBs whenever they hear about any men talking to, smiling at, standing on the same train platform as, or walking near schoolgirls.

Ah, like these? Laughing

Heightened Sensibilities Regarding Child Safety Get a Man Written up for Asking Directions

Suspicious News: Suspicious Man Reported to Police by Suspicious Middle School Girls
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5