• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-01-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't specify the volume number, or even that it is talking about the manga, until after the spoiler. It says "Warning Fruits Basket Spoiler" in big bold print, and then goes to the letter and the first sentence contains the spoiler.

I have already been spoiled on this, so I figured that's what the spoiler was about. But in the future, it would probably be a good idea to specify these things.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It doesn't specify the volume number, or even that it is talking about the manga, until after the spoiler. It says "Warning Fruits Basket Spoiler" in big bold print, and then goes to the letter and the first sentence contains the spoiler.

I have already been spoiled on this, so I figured that's what the spoiler was about. But in the future, it would probably be a good idea to specify these things.

"WARNING FRUITS BASKET SPOILERS AHEAD" means there are spoilers about Fruits Basket and you should not read ahead if there is any part of the Fruits Basket story you don't know about.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

"WARNING FRUITS BASKET SPOILERS AHEAD" means there are spoilers about Fruits Basket and you should not read ahead if there is any part of the Fruits Basket story you don't know about.

*sigh* It just seems that those five words are not understood by some people and require definition.

Warning: A cautionary statement intended to prevent (in this case) mental and emotional trauma in others who might otherwise blunder unwittingly into something they feel will cause them harm.

Fruits Basket: Popular manga some people have not completely read, yet.

Spoilers: a. Dreaded effect of learning something you didn't know you didn't want to know until after you came to know it.
b. Facts whose abrupt revelation outside of their medium of origin cause some fans harm [see "Warning"].

Ahead: Something in the future; about to happen, but hasn't yet happened.

Warning + Fruits Basket + Spoilers + Ahead: Someone has been considerate and provided spoiler-fearing fans ample time to close their eyes, skip down the page, ignore all discussion of referenced spoilers etc., placing squarely in their lap all responsibility for heeding that warning or not heeding it, as they choose, and thereby reaping the benefits or suffering the consequences of a decision that was solely theirs to make.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
YES!!!!!! I've put off posting this, so I better do it now before I forget. The first time I saw the Azu Manga Diaoh contest a few weeks ago I was estatic, I was like "I need to send it 20 or so different entrys" but I forgot, and it wasn't until I saw that column again next week that I rememberd. So I said "alright, looks like i'll have to buy it" but answerman put it off again! I thought "this is it, I have to get in on it". But I forgot.... again. This time I'm mad, cause its azu manga diaoh! And I didn't email an single entry!

Well answerman and his no sense of humour have come threw, and now I must enter it
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else having problems sending attachments? I know this was going to happen, after I worked so hard on my caption, too Shocked
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
The problem, Driftwood, is not that people misunderstand the meaning of any of those terms, but that it wasn't clear that Answerman was talking about the manga (which isn't finished) and not the anime (which is finished). And that's all. (I'll admit, I'm one of the ones who assumed the spoiler was about the anime, and am now horribly spoiled. But it's OK since I wasn't reading the manga anyway Anime smileb....)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Zac, I hope you don't mind someone defending your position. I know it just lends their argument validity, but I wasn't going to say anything unless you did first.

#1. Read that definition again because I'm not repeating it. If you don't understand it, or Zac's warning, which he kindly quoted for you, then nothing I say or do is likely to result in a sudden epiphany. *shrug* As you might be able to tell, I have zero tolerance for post-traumatic spoiler disorders. Zac tried to clarify things, I added my 2 cents (this is a forum) backing him up, just like you folks have added your 2 cents criticizing him and backing each other up. People can fall on either side of this discussion, but that doesn't mean only one side - the side that feels wronged - is the only side that can be heard and effectively state their case.

#2. Spoilers are spoilers, anime or manga in this case. If you've watched all of FB or only part of it, read all of the manga, or only some of it, EVERYONE was ignorant of a certain character's true nature until CLAMP officially announced it.
I suppose someone out there is arguing that, because the revelation about that character took place in the manga, it doesn't apply to the anime - it being a completely different medium and (currently) over and done with. It wouldn't be the first time anime and manga diverged, after all. However, since you're upset that something happened in the manga that now alters your perception of the anime, you don't seem to be considering the manga and anime as two independent series that cannot be spoiled in the same breath. A revelation about one is a revelation about the other, in other words, so it wouldn't have mattered to you whether "SPOILER ALERT FOR FRUITS BASKET ANIME" or "SPOILER ALERT FOR FRUITS BASKET MANGA" was stated. Fruis Basket is Fruits Basket. Zac's warning was about Fruits Basket - a warning for manga readers and anime watchers who would be miffed if they read something related to a series they hadn't completed.

#3. It's DriftROOT, not Driftwood. Eeergh! I am not a piece of driftwood, I am a driftroot. I have a picture if you don't believe driftroots exist. Smile

And that's all I have to say about that.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Laughing It's been a while since I've heard some of that stuff. I need more comic relief.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5