• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Compared to characters like Quess/Hathaway or the three orphans from the first Gundam not even remotely close

Some kids in another Gundam are irrelevant, she's one of the most hated characters I've seen. Like it or not. However she improved in Endless Waltz at least.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Given the cast would look drastically different if he actually followed through on those threats? can't hold that against him.

Its a big cast so a few could've died in a war epic, yet these characters are like immortal gods. Only one major character died and it was basically suicide.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Soldiers who were apart of organization that wasn't above threatening or killing civilians for personal gain.

It was a pilot trainee dormitory. They were training to pilot and fight with honor rather than use Mobile Dolls which Treize was against, until Romefeller Foundation took over forcing the use of dishonorable Mobile Dolls which is why Treize stepped down as leader of Oz.
After killing trainee's in their sleep and insulting Noin for being a weak soldier because she's a women Wufei yells at wolves about how weak the enemy was. lol He is more of a clown than Trowa.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Was it intentional like Char trying to drop a asteroid on the earth?

Char was not a hero trying to save Earth. He was always against the Earth & its federation, his father is Zeon after all. Fighting for space independence and that all of humankind should migrate to space.
Comparing Wing boys to villains does make sense however, I'll give you that. Although I compare them more towards insane chickens with their heads cut off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Some kids in another Gundam are irrelevant, she's one of the most hated characters I've seen. Like it or not.

I don't tend to take too much stock in what characters fans hate or like in the gundam series particularly with the hate aspect.

Levonr wrote:
Its a big cast so a few could've died in a war epic,

Well yeah if Wing were written like the Gundam series that preceded it and some of the ones that succeeded it, but given how the "Kill Em All" trope is a good part of the reason people didn't like Victory or Iron Blooded Orphan's 2nd season?

Levonr wrote:
It was a pilot trainee dormitory. They were training to pilot and fight with honor rather than use Mobile Dolls which Treize was against, until Romefeller Foundation took over forcing the use of dishonorable Mobile Dolls which is why Treize stepped down as leader of Oz.
After killing trainee's in their sleep and insulting Noin for being a weak soldier because she's a women Wufei yells at wolves about how weak the enemy was. lol He is more of a clown than Trowa.

Be that as it may doesn't change the reality of the more shady stuff Oz and it's offshoots were willing to do to accomplish it's goals. Plus it's interesting to take issue with how Wufei treated Noin given how Une backhanded her for having the temerity to question her orders she doesn't get respect from her enemies or her allies.

Levonr wrote:
Char was not a hero trying to save Earth. He was always against the Earth & its federation, his father is Zeon after all. Fighting for space independence and that all of humankind should migrate to space.

Be that as it may it's a bit hard to truly reconcile Char going from being a pragmatic soldier on a quest for revenge against the upper echelons of Zeon, (to being what he was in Zeta which I haven't watched), to becoming a well intentioned extremist whose willing to commit genocide while turning the earth into a inhospitable husk all in the name of some fanciful dream.

Levonr wrote:

I'll give you that. Although I compare them more towards insane chickens with their heads cut off.

There almost always has to he that one character in Gundam that loses their sh!t and does
(or attempts) to do something messed up.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't tend to take too much stock in what characters fans hate or like in the gundam series particularly with the hate aspect.

It matters because were talking about Relena being unlikable or not and fans have spoken strongly about their hate for her.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well yeah if Wing were written like the Gundam series that preceded it and some of the ones that succeeded it, but given how the "Kill Em All" trope is a good part of the reason people didn't like Victory or Iron Blooded Orphan's 2nd season?

I said "a few" could've died since it was about war. But these characters were like immortals where even when they try blow themselves up they live. lol

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Be that as it may doesn't change the reality of the more shady stuff Oz and it's offshoots were willing to do to accomplish it's goals.

Doesn't change the fact Wufei is a hypocrite for talking about honor yet being despicable.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Be that as it may it's a bit hard to truly reconcile Char going from being a pragmatic soldier on a quest for revenge against the upper echelons of Zeon, (to being what he was in Zeta which I haven't watched), to becoming a well intentioned extremist whose willing to commit genocide while turning the earth into a inhospitable husk all in the name of some fanciful dream.

He avenged his father, followed by going through with his father's ideology. Its not hard to understand. We were talking about Quatre which has nothing to do with Char Aznable.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

There almost always has to he that one character in Gundam that loses their sh!t and does
(or attempts) to do something messed up.

Yeah "one character" or a few, for Wing its most of the cast.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Levonr wrote:
Its a big cast so a few could've died in a war epic,

Levonr wrote:

Zeta Char took a more mentor role, the events of Zeta and ZZ pretty much broken Char or that's what is implied by the movie.

IBO season 2 is different from Victory, at least I can get behind Victory's "Kill em all" approach more since it is coming from the man who invented the formula to it. IBO on the other hand messes it up and makes it cheap and also spoiler[doesn't even out it's hand on killing people, nearly all the antagonists are alive by the end of it. ]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
It matters because were talking about Relena being unlikable or not and fans have spoken strongly about their hate for her.

Not when the they're opinions with little objectivity behind them and mostly can be summed up as "complaining for the sake of complaining" or simple projection as is typical with certain things within the Gundam fanbase.

Levonr wrote:

I said "a few" could've died since it was about war. But these characters were like immortals where even when they try blow themselves up they live. lol

Hey still better than burning up in earth's atmosphere and the death(s) being left as ambiguous eventhough in every other instance which this happened someone got burned to a crisp.

Levonr wrote:

Doesn't change the fact Wufei is a hypocrite for talking about honor yet being
despicable.

Nor does it change the fact you're still taking issue with him killing soldiers who're aligned with a group that doesn't mind killing non combatants and or framing the Gundam pilots for it. Plus when you look at it from a pragmatic prospective, arbitrary things like honor legit have no place in Guerilla Warfare.

Levonr wrote:

He avenged his father, followed by going through with his father's ideology. Its not hard to understand. We were talking about Quatre which has nothing to do with Char Aznable.

Well sure if you ignore the fact you were taking immense issue with Quattre killing Oz affiliated soldiers and blowing up a colony (which was as far I know was never stated to be populated with civilians) when it wasn't even the most heinous thing a character in Gundam Wing let alone Gundam in general ever did.

I just used Char and his meteor attack(s) as reference to the fact it could've been much worse by comparison.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yeah "one character" or a few, for Wing its most of the cast.

Only ones that apply to is Heero for about the first half of the series, Wu-Fei after his loss to Trieze, Quattre following the death of his father, and anyone that used the Zero system and probably Zech's near the end of the series.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know who these people are, but I'm sure folks will compare them to the old cast since they were good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5