• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1998

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I'll be that immature guy who loves Super Milk Chan. If you need me, I'll be right over there...

Hey now, that show was awesome to me as well (in English anyway). Nothing immature about liking it. XD
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The first two OAVs of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou came out in 1998 to universal acclaim-- well no, actually they got buried in a basement in Sony HQ and never saw the light of day again.

The anime is good, the manga is thought by many reviewers to be the best thing since sliced bread. Neither have ever had official English-language releases.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
animerican wrote:
So I'm just happy after 20 years that Princess Nine got a little love. Thanks.

Princess Nine was a good breakout discovery, a good girls-show even for those who hate boys' sports-anime--

Unfortunately, it's now remembered, along with Yucie and Tutu, as the third of ADV's "Princesses in the title" that sparked Best Buy's famous comment that popped the '00's Bubble. Sad
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
If Princess Nine was devoid of any yuri subtext, then yes, to me at least, this is a show worth watching because they're are no shippers to ruin it for me.

I consider Gasaraki to be 1998's most underrated anime since it was so different from your typical mecha anime.

I'd like to think that CCS, Lain, and Bebop are some of the best ones from 1998 for me.
I have not seen Trigun, Golgo 13, or even Initial D so I can't comment on those.

One more thing: No, Outlaw Star was good for the majority of episodes and it was the VA debut of Ms. Ayasumi (Ayako Kawasumi). :3

Last edited by Heishi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
A listing of the best anime from a certain year, free of opinions. That would be interesting. I wonder how you put together an objective, opinion-free list like that.

Popularity and influence, I would say. But then you'd have to specify if you meant Japan or America, since stuff like Trigun was a dud in Japan, and Bebop was just another seasonal anime to Japan compared to the "most important cultural milestone" Americans regard it is.

russ869 wrote:
Wow. Didn't expect Daryl to reference Yu-Gi-Oh! And the Toei Animation Yu-Gi-Oh! TV series at that. I guess it makes sense to mention as a franchise that still has a big influence today (in some strange derivative form). Even the Studio Gallop Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters TV series is "a whole lot more graphically violent than what we typically associate with Yu-Gi-Oh! nowadays" if you watch without the 4Kids! censorship

Duel Monsters is more violent and dark than the Toei series. The Toei series is just flat out bad. I'm convinced the only people who like it either have never actually seen it and go off bad rumors or just flat out hate the card game aspect to an unhealthy degree. Honestly, it's probably both, because the Toei anime incorperates the card game far more than the original manga chapters did, like the inclusion of Kaiba's four game master henchmen. Although people would have to watch beyond episode 2 to realize that.

But yes, the 4Kids dub certainly doesn't help things if that's the version of Duel Monsters people are using for comparison. Where they turned kids being murdered into being trapped in a dungeon or rape scenes into goofy purse snatching shenanigans.

-Stuart Smith
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Daryl Surat wrote:
Perhaps there was less appeal to Vash the Stampede's absolute pacifism once the more murderous Alucard from the heavily-Trigun inspired Hellsing was available?

Hellsing was heavily inspired by Trigun?(couldn't tell that by reading the manga's..)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
I just finished rewatching Outlaw Star on Blu-ray a few days ago. There was only a few episodes scattered throughout the series that were any good. The art, animation, and writing in those episodes seem to sky rocket compared to the other episodes.

Personally I would have put Gasaraki on my list and not just as a shity by-product of another anime, but that's just me.

+1000 about Gasaraki.
I don't know what the author of this article was even thinking about when he name-dropped it as a shitty series. It is by far my favorite mecha show ever and it deserves so much more love than it gets. Truly a gripping, unique and beautiful series for those of us who want something more than big explosions and hot waifus in our mecha shows.

I think I liked the music from Gasaraki, if I remember right is was pretty haunting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
^ ^ Yeah, that line puzzled me too. I'd like to hear exactly what he sees in Hellsing that he thinks was inspired by Trigun.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Princess Nine... Unfortunately, it's now remembered, along with Yucie and Tutu, as the third of ADV's "Princesses in the title" that sparked Best Buy's famous comment that popped the '00's Bubble. Sad

Uh... care to elaborate?

Stuart Smith wrote:
The Toei series is just flat out bad. I'm convinced the only people who like it either have never actually seen it and go off bad rumors or just flat out hate the card game aspect to an unhealthy degree.

Hmm, so apparently YGO Abridged's comment on Season Zero being "depressingly bad" may not have been that far off the mark... Ah, whatever, good and bad are all subjective anyways. Yes, including Daryl's hilariously controversial opinions on Initial D.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'll also give a shoutout to Nightwalker, which is far better than it ought to be. Despite wallowing in vampire cliches, it has some surprisingly affective stories to tell.

Finally, someone else who remembers Nightwalker! Yes, it could be a bona-fide cliche storm, but there were other elements that set it apart: it was the first vampire anime that put forth the notion that vampires lose their souls only when they stop fighting for them. Then there was the scene where spoiler[a classmate of Riho--a recently turned vampire--is watching a student film made while Riho was still human, and missing the warm, happy girl she was.] And Guni, the curvy little green imp, was a great source of snark.

Also, I'm very happy to see all the folk stepping up to defend Gasaraki! Smile Nozomi's most recent DVD issue (still available) has significantly better video quality than the original release. I'd love to see a 2K scan from film issued on BD.

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Princess Nine... Unfortunately, it's now remembered, along with Yucie and Tutu, as the third of ADV's "Princesses in the title" that sparked Best Buy's famous comment that popped the '00's Bubble. Sad

Uh... care to elaborate?

Yes, please!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Uh... care to elaborate?

What popped the 00's Bubble was mainstream retailers realizing that anime wasn't as "trendy" as they thought, when four-episode single-volume ADV disks of Princess Nine, Princess Tutu and Petite Princess Yucie weren't moving off their DVD shelf--
Partly from the price, partly from the "girly" covers giving non-fans (who already barely knew who Sailor Moon was) no idea what the series were about, and mostly from anime fans realizing, why spend $29 on Vol. 4, when ADV would predictably be releasing the Complete Series Boxset a few months after Vol. 6?

When Best Buy basically eliminated their special target shelves for retail anime, causing Target to do the same, you could tell there was a little passive hostility in the room on their part--Prompting BB's comment that they weren't obligated to sell "obscure anime series with Princess in the title".

(Yeah, it stung, and the collapse of the retail market didn't help either:
When ADV released their inevitable first Princess Tutu Boxset double-dip fresh off the single volumes, they went out of their way to make sure the cover looked a lot LESS "girly":
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
But yes, the 4Kids dub certainly doesn't help things if that's the version of Duel Monsters people are using for comparison. Where they turned kids being murdered into being trapped in a dungeon or rape scenes into goofy purse snatching shenanigans.

That's pretty dark material for a card game anime honestly, though Wixoss did do similar levels of dark and disturbing content years later. Not sure how they could have aired Yu-Gi-Oh here otherwise.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ ^ Yeah, that line puzzled me too. I'd like to hear exactly what he sees in Hellsing that he thinks was inspired by Trigun.

It's mostly an inspired look for Alucard. Long, red coat, yellowish-orange sunglasses, big silver gun. But also his being an over-powered main character and, ultimately, a tragic figure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
It's mostly an inspired look for Alucard. Long, red coat, yellowish-orange sunglasses, big silver gun. But also his being an over-powered main character and, ultimately, a tragic figure.

Unless Hirano has stated otherwise, that sounds like a pretty long reach. Vash wore a super-stylized duster where Alucard's was a straight up pimp coat and hat (honestly, to me it looks more like a zoot suit with a Victorian cravat), and of course Alucard's would have been red no matter what color Vash wore. "OP and tragic" describes more MCs that not. Sunglasses and honkin' big guns aren't exactly rare either. But whatever, eye of the beholder and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7