• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Digimon (and I was the kind of person who bought the coloring books for herself, lying about having "a little brother" so people wouldn't stare at me when I was 13), I don't know whether I could watch this... I'm happy they stuck to the original style for Taichi, but... Dunno.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Sing “Yesterday” for Me: The show that might actually be better if the protagonist was reincarnated into another world (seriously, when he fell off his bike I was kind of hoping Laughing ). I feel like I can’t rate this until I know how old Haru is, because it definitely looks like a “heal each others’ traumas via romance” set up between a kid who should be in high school and an adult, albeit a depressed, aimless adult. And it barely had any music! I wasn’t actually expecting “Yesterday,” (who can afford The Beatles), but when Rikuo׳’s coworker gave him his band’s demo, I thought we’d get to hear it, but nope.

I don't think they ever actually mention their age, but it's a pretty small gap despite their appearance, I think it's juts like 2-3 years. Haru doesn't really have much in term of traumas (neither does the MC really, or maybe his trauma is that he ended up nowhere without a trauma to blame...) so there's not really much healing trough romance either.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Sing “Yesterday” for Me: The show that might actually be better if the protagonist was reincarnated into another world (seriously, when he fell off his bike I was kind of hoping :lol: ). I feel like I can’t rate this until I know how old Haru is, because it definitely looks like a “heal each others’ traumas via romance” set up between a kid who should be in high school and an adult, albeit a depressed, aimless adult. And it barely had any music! I wasn’t actually expecting “Yesterday,” (who can afford The Beatles), but when Rikuo׳’s coworker gave him his band’s demo, I thought we’d get to hear it, but nope.

I don't think they ever actually mention their age, but it's a pretty small gap despite their appearance, I think it's juts like 2-3 years.

It's a bit more. Haru is still high school age, around 16-17/18 and Rikuo is at least 22/23 as someone who has graduated from a japanese university. They are at least 4-5 years apart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
meiam wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Sing “Yesterday” for Me: The show that might actually be better if the protagonist was reincarnated into another world (seriously, when he fell off his bike I was kind of hoping Laughing ). I feel like I can’t rate this until I know how old Haru is, because it definitely looks like a “heal each others’ traumas via romance” set up between a kid who should be in high school and an adult, albeit a depressed, aimless adult. And it barely had any music! I wasn’t actually expecting “Yesterday,” (who can afford The Beatles), but when Rikuo׳’s coworker gave him his band’s demo, I thought we’d get to hear it, but nope.

I don't think they ever actually mention their age, but it's a pretty small gap despite their appearance, I think it's juts like 2-3 years.

It's a bit more. Haru is still high school age, around 16-17/18 and Rikuo is at least 22/23 as someone who has graduated from a japanese university. They are at least 4-5 years apart.

She was highschool age not sure if she still is. I don't remember what high school level Shinako taught when she did her internship, but that was around a year+ ago. If she was in her last year of high school then (18) Rikuo would have been 21 ish then.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Swissman wrote:

She was highschool age not sure if she still is. I don't remember what high school level Shinako taught when she did her internship, but that was around a year+ ago. If she was in her last year of high school then (18) Rikuo would have been 21 ish then.

I don't think Haru was in her last year of high school yet. It the manga (and the anime), she just mentions that she dropped out in the middle, and there is a chapter (which will probably be in episode 2) where she looks sadly at some students who just had their graduation ceremony at the school where Shinako is teaching, so I presume that she's at the same age as those students (17/18). That's why I think the age gap between her and Rikuo is at least around 4 years or more.
The main point is that from the viewpoint of society and from a legal standpoint Haru is still, most probably, a minor, whereas Rikuo is an adult since at least two or more years when the story starts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I don't think they ever actually mention their age, but it's a pretty small gap despite their appearance, I think it's juts like 2-3 years. Haru doesn't really have much in term of traumas (neither does the MC really, or maybe his trauma is that he ended up nowhere without a trauma to blame...) so there's not really much healing trough romance either.

I assumed Haru has some trauma because she got kicked out of school for working part time at a bar, and claims her only family is her pet crow. I know anime & manga have a whole bunch of teen characters who live alone, but this is a realistic drama and not having any connection with one’s family at 17 is unusual.

The MC probably just lacks self confidence and is depressed. That’s very realistic for a 20-something, no particular childhood issues needed.
zenbud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Standing as the first adaptation of a recent trend in isekai light novels, My Next Life as a Villainess offers a refreshing twist on the usual “transported to a videogame world” concept.

Huh,it's not really recent though? It exists on web novels since 2013 at least and on light novel format since 2015.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I dig the Digimon reboot, I glad they didn't go with Butterfly or Brave Heart, I love the song but they overplayed it. The animation was also good, hope they keep it up
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Digimon seems interesting, I wasn't sure if as a sick joke the larger Digimon would be 3D. For the most part it looks really good, it's not quite got the same visual charm as the original, yet it still looks like Adventure. Though I will probably sleep on it until they dub it, which I hope will be as many as possible unlike the new Orphan.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Listeners Ep1- "Rock-n-Roll Will Save The World" and causes a (lame) mecha to materialize right out of the junkyard by Manic Pixie Dream Girl and downtrodden Ordinary Guy with his home-brew Boom Box and destroy a nebulous gang of rampaging Phantom Menace-Mice. Literally the whole Ep. This would qualify as the lamest E7 since Ao and I would hesitate to compare this with E7 in any way other than vague similarity. Plus, "Eureka" here is loud, opinionated and generally obnoxious. I might watch another Ep to see any improvement, but if there isn't any I would steer clear of this.

Wave, Listen to Me Ep1- On the other hand seems like Aggretsuko if she had a reality radio broadcast responding to listener problems so I will be watching this one. Even if protag Minare is loud, at least says more intelligent lines than "Get Ready to ROCK...yo, Make Some NOISE!!" Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The body proportions also look weird to me, but maybe it's the school uniforms. Often they seem to have nothing between waistline and boobs

Well... interestingly, if you do an image search for "girls baseball japan" you'll find a Pintrest page in the first few rows of results that has image after image of girls in outfits that are extremely similar to the uniforms in TAMAYOMI.
As for the body proportions, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the characters look a lot like many of the girls who were on sports teams when I was in high school looked. "Stocky" is a term that comes to mind. That could be part of the reason for the perception of there being nothing between the waistline and boobs.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. It's how they look in the school uniforms, not their baseball gear (that's a different issue, which I'll come back to). Here are a couple of examples:

If their waists are at the narrowest point of the uniform then the midriff only has room for about 2 ribs. And they're only drawn that way sometimes. If you look at the ED, they're normally proportioned. So it's not because they're built solidly, but just that they're often drawn weirdly.

As for the baseball uniforms, maybe you got different results, but the images of women in shorts that came up when I searched as you suggested mostly looked like exhibition type models "playing" baseball as eye candy, given how they were posed like pin-up girls. Like the promoters in A League of Their Own who decided the AAGPBL players should wear shorts to attract male fans. The women in functional uniforms looked like they were actually playing the game (some of those were in shorts, but knee-length to provide at least some protection during a slide).
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Otome was great, I do hope it doesn't go to hard in the reverse harem direction though, part of the humor is that all character are cliche carboard cutout character, so if I'm suddenly asked to see them as real character whenever romance is introduced It'll be disappointing.

That ending was great, I wish I was better at photoshop (and more image of the series were available).

I thought of that too Laughing
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Kakushigoto and My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom! are my #1 and #2 picks so far.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I just realised in the banner text for this article, it says "Sakura Wars the Animartion"...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
zenbud wrote:
Quote:
Standing as the first adaptation of a recent trend in isekai light novels, My Next Life as a Villainess offers a refreshing twist on the usual “transported to a videogame world” concept.

Huh,it's not really recent though? It exists on web novels since 2013 at least and on light novel format since 2015.

Yeah, this is a weird topic to discuess with anime only viewers, can't wait until mushoku tensei finally airs and anime only starts complainign how generic it seems.

Kiskaloo wrote:
Kakushigoto and My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom! are my #1 and #2 picks so far.

same for me, tho I am pretty sure I will end up watching oregairu s03 as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10