• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - The Second Act

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RR529

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
RR529 wrote:

Also, any idea why there hasn't been a review for last week's episode yet? I'd assumed because of the holidays, but there are other episode reviews/articles going up.

I had to have a medical procedure, so both last week's and this week's episodes will go up together. (Same for Blue Period.)

Oh, well I hope all went well. Happy holidays.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:

Oh, well I hope all went well. Happy holidays.

Thank you, and happy holidays to you as well!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Did they ever explain why Moroha was abandoned in the first place?
RR529

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I assume you're here because they FINALLY reunited her with Kagome (& InuYasha next week)?

When Kirinmaru (the show's big bad) came to face InuYasha, InuKag had her spirited away to Koga's wolf tribe for safety (presumably Miroku & Sango would have been too predictable?). Since Rin's life was tied to Zero's (Kirinmaru's sister), Sesshomaru sealed InuKag away (in their father's graveyard where they first fought over Tessaiga) so that they wouldn't kill Kirinmaru & Zero before he could devise a way to save Rin.

So, Moroha was raised by the wolf tribe believing her parents dead since her parents had no way to reach her. Since Koga has been entirely absent from the story (it was some new wolf character who trained Moroha as she aged) I guess we can assume he's completely in the dark as to what's going on. While it's been implied Miroku & Sango know Moroha is alive, their only communication with her so far has been one letter, so we don't know if they know InuKag is alive or not. As for Sesshomaru, he's just as quiet & aloof as he was in the OG series, so he's only recently relayed the truth to Moroha.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:49 am Reply with quote
I think Sesshy had several reasons for stepping in. Had the Purple Fireball of Doom™ landed, not only would it have killed his daughters and niece, but likely obliterated the Tree of Ages with Rin and Jaken inside as well as destroying the black pearl sealing away Inuyasha and Kagome (even though we know there are other ways to get there besides the pearl). While he might not care if Inuyasha were sealed away forever, I think Sesshy has come to at least respect Kagome and might even kinda like her.

I keep feeling like Kirinmaru's goal re the Windmill is not what everyone thinks it is. Like maybe he wants to try to use it to go back and prevent Rion's death. I still haven't pieced together the how and why of him being in present day Japan, but I guess I'd think it means he doesn't die nor end the world in the Feudal Era, and is still interested in not having the comet destroy the world either. I might've missed or forgotten a key plot point though. Smile

And was that finally Shippo I spied in the preview? 'Bout time!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

I assume you're here because they FINALLY reunited her with Kagome (& InuYasha next week)?

When Kirinmaru (the show's big bad) came to face InuYasha, InuKag had her spirited away to Koga's wolf tribe for safety (presumably Miroku & Sango would have been too predictable?). Since Rin's life was tied to Zero's (Kirinmaru's sister), Sesshomaru sealed InuKag away (in their father's graveyard where they first fought over Tessaiga) so that they wouldn't kill Kirinmaru & Zero before he could devise a way to save Rin.

So, Moroha was raised by the wolf tribe believing her parents dead since her parents had no way to reach her. Since Koga has been entirely absent from the story (it was some new wolf character who trained Moroha as she aged) I guess we can assume he's completely in the dark as to what's going on. While it's been implied Miroku & Sango know Moroha is alive, their only communication with her so far has been one letter, so we don't know if they know InuKag is alive or not. As for Sesshomaru, he's just as quiet & aloof as he was in the OG series, so he's only recently relayed the truth to Moroha.

Yeah, I gave up the show around episode 8, I think.

Not really regretting that, but I'm still curious on just how poorly all the old cast wound up here.
RR529

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="Fluwm"][quote="RR529"]
Fluwm wrote:
Yeah, I gave up the show around episode 8, I think.

Not really regretting that, but I'm still curious on just how poorly all the old cast wound up here.

Pretty much:

InuYasha/Kagome: Sealed away by Sesshomaru out of fear they'd defeat Kirinmaru/Zero (and thus kill Rin). Assumed dead by everyone since Sesshomaru isn't a talker.

Miroku/Sango: Fine for all intents & purposes. They were able to raise all their kids & still have relationships with them all. Just not involved as the writers don't want them to be (other than Miroku being background lore as to how Setsuna has her demon blood sealed).

Shippo: Who knows. Hasn't made a single appearance thus far. Based on preview is finally showing up next week (is also present in the new opening which premiered this week).

Koga: Who knows. Moroha was sent to be raised by him, but she was ultimately raised/trained by a new wolf clan character (who has already been killed off). I take it to mean they don't plan on having him involved in any meaningful way.

Sesshomaru/Rin: Sesshomaru is just as active as he was in the OG series (aloof motives, shows up from time to time to do something, getting more involved as we seem to be nearing the climax). Until recently Rin has been in suspended animation inside the Sacred Tree to protect her from a curse placed upon her by Zero.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well haters and couch critics or trolls will exist as long as the internet exists! I enjoyed the show as presented! One expecting demons to have human emotions? Realistically? Seriously? Life spans well beyond human and motives we could only guess at. The dog boys bother saw a threat to his him wife and locked them away. He set his aid to raise or we’ll let the girls grow as his principals saw fit. The motives for the characters make sense to me. The way it was presented made sense to me as well as a long time fan of this series! Sorry to disagree with all that negativity! Just my thoughts enjoyed the animation and presentation. Will collect it at some point and hope to see more in the future!
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Well haters and couch critics or trolls will exist as long as the internet exists! I enjoyed the show as presented! One expecting demons to have human emotions? Realistically? Seriously? Life spans well beyond human and motives we could only guess at. The dog boys bother saw a threat to his him wife and locked them away. He set his aid to raise or we’ll let the girls grow as his principals saw fit. The motives for the characters make sense to me. The way it was presented made sense to me as well as a long time fan of this series! Sorry to disagree with all that negativity! Just my thoughts enjoyed the animation and presentation. Will collect it at some point and hope to see more in the future!

Funny how you're simultaneously trying to pull the "too alien for our mere mortal minds to comprehend" nonsense, while also saying his motivation makes perfect sense and everybody else is just too dumb to get it like you do (very positive of you btw). Probably should have picked one or the other.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 am Reply with quote
Well, we will see how they bring about Moroha's reunion with her long lost parents. But considering her reaction meeting her grandparents, it doesn't sound like it would be a joyous occasion for Moroha.

Perhaps they will just throw them together and pretend yeah, were together.
Elior Levi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, we will see how they bring about Moroha's reunion with her long lost parents. But considering her reaction meeting her grandparents, it doesn't sound like it would be a joyous occasion for Moroha.

Perhaps they will just throw them together and pretend yeah, were together.
based on the next episode titles it seems highly possible that season 2 will be the last season episode 41 and 42 titles imply it
RR529

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

I'm willing to admit that Sesshomaru's actions aren't entirely out of character for him (though the show has also shown that he has grown to be able to cooperate more, what with the comet), though I think that in a better written show, InuYasha & Kagome would probably resent him a bit more because of it, even if they knew the "why" as to why he did it (similar as to why Kagome was so willing to put up with InuYasha's obsession to protect Kikyo, even though it was emotionally stressful for her), and I don't think Yashahime quite has the guts to pull that off, at least not in a meaningful way (if they address it at all, I imagine it'll be just InuYasha upset with Sesshomaru & will be quickly handwaved by Kagome insisting that he's being "unreasonable").

At least Moroha's reunion with her parents looks to be suitably emotional & I am very much looking forward to Saturday to see it in action. The last few moments of the most recent episode (when Moroha & Kagome met) was the most emotionally powerful the show has been yet, and it's not even close.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Sessh got his Rin back and she's safe and the family can finally be together. Anime cry

I really liked seeing more of Towa's childhood with the Higurashis and the twins finally reconnecting. Super wholesome. Anime catgrin

But when Kinmaru stole the pearl from Moroha, I wanted to reach into my monitor screen and strangle him. Twisted Evil
RR529

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Definitely good to see InuYasha & Kagome again, and their reunion with Moroha was suitably emotional (and it did confirm that they don't age inside the Black Pearl, and that maybe it hasn't felt like 14 years to them). I totally knew they were going to handwave any resentment towards Sesshomaru though, and they did it in the exact way I predicted (InuYasha, rightfully, said he was going to clobber Sesshomaru once he gets out, only for Kagome to chastise him because "surely Sesshomaru had his reasons"). C'mon girl, you were robbed out of raising your child during her most formative years, surely you can understand Sesshomaru's actions AND be somewhat miffed at him at the same time.

Good to finally see Shippo too, though I struggle to see what help he could largely be (though I'm sure his new ability to teleport to places he's previously been will be a part of it).

Calling it now though, the girls will get out of the Black Pearl only for InuKag to be left behind for whatever reason until the climax.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kagome just basically taking the whole thing in stride also feels about right;

Kagome is supposed to be a human girl of our modern world, so lets just pretend that she is indeed that. That way we get rid of all those otherworldly excuses.

A mother gives birth to her baby girl, a few days later her baby girl is kidnapped from the hospital. The next time the mother sees her baby girl, she is practically a grown adult, and on top of that a stranger. How would that mother actually feel.

Kagome has lost so much. She will never be a mother to her daughter. Mother and daughter are strangers to each other. All the 'firsts' are gone forever. Really, if we were talking about actual real people, instead of anime characters, would we be really saying "the mother was taking it all in stride feels right". Shouldn't there be pathos, horror, anger, tragedy, unbelief, even thoughts of revenge/vengence for the wrongs done, along with relief, love, and welcome.

And yes, Kagome and Moroha can reconnect as mother and daughter, but that doesn't cure what was lost. But if you think about it, the way the writers have portrayed Moroha for the most of the series, she hasn't had much interest in her lost parents, even when meeting her mother's parents, and with the way the show goes, Moroha is not going to be settling down to spend time reconnecting with her parents anytime soon.

Sadly, I think for the writers, Inu Yashi and Kagome are just boxes to check and they didn't really want to write how a mother who loved her baby would actually feel in such a circumstance as they wrote. So instead they wrote a "yeah, were back together again after many long years, for a little bit"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6