• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lycoris Recoil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 am Reply with quote
If Chisato got the heart when she was that young, it's surprising it hasn't needed an upgrade in the years since. She has grown, but the heart has remained unchanged?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
So,.. did Shinji and Mika perform the surgery? Seems odd they were the only ones seen in the operating room.

yuna49 wrote:
If Chisato got the heart when she was that young, it's surprising it hasn't needed an upgrade in the years since. She has grown, but the heart has remained unchanged?

It's 3 generations ahead so no worries /s

Jokes aside, you'd think there'd be some need for maintenance and replacement parts for the ~10 years it's been in use.

Key wrote:

• That there's no way to fix/replace Chisato's heart is the episode's one contrivance. Even if the heart is over-tech, Shinji still got it from somewhere.

Agreed. And is there a reason she couldn't eventually get an actual heart or even a less advanced artificial one? Presumably that would have been the plan if they knew the current one wouldn't get her much past 18. At least I would think Mika would have been thinking about it after taking care of Chisato for so long.

Quote:

• Hard to fathom what Shinji's motive must be for ordering this done. He doesn't seem intent on killing her immediately, and if he's trying to back her into a corner to force her to act, then he doesn't understand her personality at all.

Yeah, it seems really forced to shorten an already short time.

Regarding the 18 thing, I would hope that they either become sleeper agents (though we don't know what kind of real world education they have to enter society) or work in the administrative side of the DA and are not simply "retired".
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I don't like to read or write long winded diatribes but as everybody else says this is one of the coolest-if not the coolest-series this season.

You wound me good sir! diatribe?!

This week hits Takina hard. And by extention, all of us.

Christopher Farris wrote:
the point that "Life doesn't go as planned" is delivered in a significantly lighter framing, such as it can be, at the end of this episode, and that informs the tone of this entry, along with really the thesis of the whole series itself.

Very true. Pretty much nobody's life has gone as planned, has it? Takina obviously had hers entirely uprooted and has just settled into something new when the rug has been pulled once again. Mika's life seems to have taken a swerve several times, and while he's got much to feel guilty about in the current state of affairs you can hardly say it's what he wanted or planned. And the reasons that led him to this particular juncture are very human. And we don't know a whole lot about Himegama beyond the fact that she's an highly devoted assistant with the bridal chorus as her hold music. Given what we know about Shinji it seems unlikely she's exactly on-plan at the moment.

Key wrote:
This is, I believe, the first episode which mentioned that Lycoris are only active until "18 at beast."
I think we knew they retired out at that point? "at best" possibly just refers to the mortality rate for Lycoris. Another important question is "and then what?" Are there dosens of adult ex-Lycoris working regular jobs in Tokyo? That seems like something a super-secret governmental conspiracy organisation might find ... uncomfortable. They all just given desk jobs at DA? Seems unlikely.

Other things:
Are we still calling this bait? After Takina put together the cutest little date plan book (sorry "Guidebook for fun day off program" - and I totally love that it had a table of contents and a section setting out the "purpose"), wore her best outfit (that Chisato picked). The girl really put some work in. Chisato herself wore a top that read "Love".

It's so Takina to expect the snow to arrive to schedule. Though good for her that it almost did.

What's in the briefcase? It could just be a briefcase. But Chiasto's heart arrived in a breifcase with an uncanny resemblence to the one in the post-credits scene. There's maybe an ultimatum coming (though with wildcard Majima thrown into the mix, that's another thing not going as planned). As Key said though, if Shinji thinks that would work for Chisato, then he's totally misread her. But perhaps she's not the target of the extortion. What did he mean when he said he had high hopes for Takina?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:27 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Now I'm curious what assistance Majima got that made him an Alan recipient. ... I don't remember seeing an owl medallion during his flashback last episode.

Wasn't it his eyes? In the flashback, he wears a bandage around his eyes the entire time and navigates by sound.

The real question, as Mr. Farris so adroitly points out, should be, "What are we, the audience, meant to understand from Majima having been given eyes? How is that relevant to his mission?"

I mean possibly? But just seeing him with a bandage over his eyes at the time doesn't confirm anything. That's why I mentioned "He didn't have an amulet in his flashback," because if he recently had an operation I'd expect there to be an amulet shown but at the same time he could see at that time (He remembers Chisato's eyes) so it's unlikely to be before any surgery.

Covnam wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

It's 3 generations ahead so no worries /s

Jokes aside, you'd think there'd be some need for maintenance and replacement parts for the ~10 years it's been in use.

Well my justification for there being no replacement is that with the unique design (i.e. fully mechanical and no pumping) there's no way to replace it except with another of the same model/no way her body would accept a regular beating heart after a decade.

And it does need maintenance clearly, that's why she goes to the doctor monthly.

As for why "Lycoris retire at age 18ish" the in universe explanation is pretty obvious even if not the most satisfying. Lycoris all dress as school girls to "blend in" and you wouldn't very well blend in wearing a seifuku at age 22. Obviously the question then becomes "why not have a 20 something division all dressed as office workers?" but the greater DA world building seems to be beyond the scope of this season. Maybe it will be elaborated on in the future, but right now I have more pressing concerns about Majima/Yoshi/Mika/Chisato/Takina than DA's employee retainment practices Laughing
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:55 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
That's why I mentioned "He didn't have an amulet in his flashback," because if he recently had an operation I'd expect there to be an amulet shown but at the same time he could see at that time (He remembers Chisato's eyes) so it's unlikely to be before any surgery.

Ah, good point -- I had neglected that detail. Still "bandage+no amulet" -> "no bandage+amulet" seems as if it should be significant, the way this series does things. Also, I don't believe anyone else (including the audience) has seen Chisato with red Terminator eyes, so that may be a clue to his pre-Alan condition.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:01 am Reply with quote
I think I'm having trouble suspending disbelief regarding the heart situation. Either give her an organic heart transplant or hook her up to an external battery. They seemed to take pains to say it was only the ability of the power source to recharge that was fried, giving her two months of current battery life. That can't be so complicated an interface that someone couldn't MacGyver a work-around. I mean, they said something nonsensical about not being able to access the hardware (did they mean the heart hardware or the battery hardware?), but the battery seems to be accessing the heart just fine, so again, it's a power supply issue, not a software issue for the function of the heart itself.

But that's just me picking nits. Doesn't really affect my enjoyment of it all. I mean, they gotta be doing something really right that I wasn't groaning and rolling my eyes at their shopping trip, the way I usually do whenever a series takes time out for a girls-gotta-be-shopping montage. This was actually kinda poignant.

As for Majima, couldn't Alan Institute have simply saved his life? Like he should've been killed in that explosion, but here he is, alive and well. Chisato could've escaped because she could see all the shrapnel coming at her and dodged, I guess? But I think Majima's original talent was his ears. He was blindfolded to block out distractions of his visualization of what he heard. I'm not sure why, but "seeing" her with red eyes I think was just his mental idea of her being a monster. He was still blindfolded at that time, after all. And he still has that, knowing she has no heartbeat and that Takina had arrived well before she made her entrance.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I'm having trouble suspending disbelief regarding the heart situation. Either give her an organic heart transplant or hook her up to an external battery. They seemed to take pains to say it was only the ability of the power source to recharge that was fried, giving her two months of current battery life. That can't be so complicated an interface that someone couldn't MacGyver a work-around. I mean, they said something nonsensical about not being able to access the hardware (did they mean the heart hardware or the battery hardware?), but the battery seems to be accessing the heart just fine, so again, it's a power supply issue, not a software issue for the function of the heart itself.

I think the kicker for me is that it's just Himegama present and we never actually find out what happened to the other doctor during that event. Would have at least loved a passing line that either she just left Himegama to do it herself, or that she was also sedated explaining why she never stopped the situation from escalating to what it became. It would have at least explain why she only knew about the incident after the fact.

The other problem I got with this is more the "why" was this happening to begin with. Was Shinji doing this to spite Mika or Chisato? Did Himegama go rouge and this wasn't part of the plan? Was the plan all along just to kill Chisato once Shinji figured out she wouldn't kill again and wouldn't be able to change her mind?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

The other problem I got with this is more the "why" was this happening to begin with. Was Shinji doing this to spite Mika or Chisato? Did Himegama go rouge and this wasn't part of the plan? Was the plan all along just to kill Chisato once Shinji figured out she wouldn't kill again and wouldn't be able to change her mind?

Everything Yoshi has done since he rediscovered Chisato (i.e. everything since the arms deal) has been to either confirm her pacifism or to push her away from it. I am 100% sure that this is also part of that plan.
The idea here being "If you will not use your God given talent then Alan will take back their assistance, ...however should you resolve to kill again we will give you our support." This is meant to "put the screws" on Chisato and Takina and more or less give them an ultimatum. You'll notice the very conspicuous briefcase in the after credits scene; Yoshi is going to offer to give a new heart if Chisato will kill again... or perhaps he will offer it to Takina if she can get Chisato to kill again.
The delicious irony here is that Majima has now taken him hostage while seemingly being unaware of this, thinking Yoshi to be this loving benefactor that Chisato admires. Which of course he is... but not because he wanted to be. So I fully expect in the coming episodes a scene where Majima threatens to kill Yoshi in order to lure Chisato out or some such, only for Yoshi to chime in and say "Yes, let me die Chisato! Embrace your talent for murder!"
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But I think Majima's original talent was his ears. He was blindfolded to block out distractions of his visualization of what he heard. I'm not sure why, but "seeing" her with red eyes I think was just his mental idea of her being a monster. He was still blindfolded at that time, after all. And he still has that, knowing she has no heartbeat and that Takina had arrived well before she made her entrance.

I agree with this reading. I think the blindfold plays into his "balance" obsession too - by eliminating or severely reducing his sight, he allows himself to maximize his hearing.

Electric Wooloo wrote:
Everything Yoshi has done since he rediscovered Chisato (i.e. everything since the arms deal) has been to either confirm her pacifism or to push her away from it. I am 100% sure that this is also part of that plan.
The idea here being "If you will not use your God given talent then Alan will take back their assistance, ...however should you resolve to kill again we will give you our support." This is meant to "put the screws" on Chisato and Takina and more or less give them an ultimatum. You'll notice the very conspicuous briefcase in the after credits scene; Yoshi is going to offer to give a new heart if Chisato will kill again... or perhaps he will offer it to Takina if she can get Chisato to kill again.

The briefcase is identical to the one that carried the heart in the earlier flashback, and I think his target this time will be to get to Chisato through Takina. Or that was the plan before Majima showed up.

It all comes down to his fanaticism. His recent actions have all supported two outcomes, both of which he'd be ok with. "Talent must be delivered to the world" (i.e. Chisato is coerced or forced into killing) and "talent belongs to God, and unused talents must be returned to Him" (i.e, Chisato is killed. I don't remember which episode that came up in, but I do feel like he's said something along those lines in the past). Chisato managed to pick option 3 (surviving and not killing anyone) the last couple of tries, so he's installed a timebomb of sorts, but I think he's still chasing the same two outcomes (with a preference for the first).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
• That there's no way to fix/replace Chisato's heart is the episode's one contrivance. Even if the heart is over-tech, Shinji still got it from somewhere.

Seems like it's less that they can't and more that they won't. Alan Institute, and DA for the most part, apparently doesn't care at all about their subjects/minions beyond using them for their own goals. If they don't expect her to keep shooting bad guys past 18 anyway--because of burnout, or becoming more conspicuous (the whole operation is covered up, and normal people wouldn't suspect teen girls being the secret police) or whatever, then it's not worth the investment to them. And they probably feel like she knows too much at this point anyway. Presumably the only reason they didn't just kill her is because they still need her for this final operation thing.

We already knew neither organization was particularly good or trustworthy, and I guess this is where they really smack us in the face with it. This doesn't necessarily mean there's no other options; maybe a less-advanced or non-artificial heart would work... but if the top-secret super-tech one only has 2 months of battery life and dies after 10 years, any other ones available are likely a lot worse, and maybe the surgery was too invasive for it to be replaceable (they planned to let her die from the start, after all). I hope not, partly just because the "tragic gay" trope is so overplayed, but I can never quite tell where this plot is going. Still can't figure out what Zany Terrorist Boy is up to.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Seems like it's less that they can't and more that they won't. Alan Institute, and DA for the most part, apparently doesn't care at all about their subjects/minions beyond using them for their own goals. If they don't expect her to keep shooting bad guys past 18 anyway--because of burnout, or becoming more conspicuous (the whole operation is covered up, and normal people wouldn't suspect teen girls being the secret police) or whatever, then it's not worth the investment to them. And they probably feel like she knows too much at this point anyway. Presumably the only reason they didn't just kill her is because they still need her for this final operation thing.

I also kind of wonder if DA is one of those places that just doesn't treat their employees at all with any respect. Kusunoki doesn't seem to be any less stern with the operators working Radiata as she is with the agents on the field. And we still have no explanation as to why Mizuki's been assigned to the Cafe if she's still working with the organization (middlewoman, perhaps?)
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

I also kind of wonder if DA is one of those places that just doesn't treat their employees at all with any respect. Kusunoki doesn't seem to be any less stern with the operators working Radiata as she is with the agents on the field. And we still have no explanation as to why Mizuki's been assigned to the Cafe if she's still working with the organization (middlewoman, perhaps?)

My understanding is that Mizuki isn't working with DA, neither is Mika. Mizuki says in the first episode that she was "previously with DA in the intelligence division, but left because she didn't like the creepy atmosphere of training orphans to be assassins" which tbf I get.
The cafe to me has always come across as a "group of people that are ex employees that we can trust not to leak info and sometimes help each other" but the only ones still actually working for DA are Takina and Chisato
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
With only 4 EP to play, if the story tellers kill off Chisato or Takina, does "Lycoris Recoil!" have any future at all? Chisato and Takina are the heart and soul of this story. Would fans accept the death of their favorite characters?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
I think the kicker for me is that it's just Himegama present and we never actually find out what happened to the other doctor during that event.

I thought she had been murdered.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:51 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
I think the kicker for me is that it's just Himegama present and we never actually find out what happened to the other doctor during that event.

I thought she had been murdered.

That's what I thought too, but then we see her in episode 9 reacting to the situation, which only raises more questions that the show doesn't bother answering. If there was a throwaway line about her just not being there or being drugged much like Chisato, then we'd have our bases covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11