• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Release When They Cry - Higurashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topleka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Casey & Friends needs to be a DVD extra. How do I write Geneon and ask them for it?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
maus wrote:
Wow, and I was thinking something big was being licensed with all the commotion... Turns out it is just another one of those cutesy anime... Sad

I take it you saw a picture of one of the characters and based your decision on that. If you had at least read what the series was about or seen the first 30 seconds of the first episode, you would realize how absurd this statement is.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Bad news Malintex Terek:
Quote:
ADR Production: Bang Zoom! Entertainment
anime#6134

Not to start anything but I've always found your lack of faith in the ability of Bang Zoom! Entertainment quite peculiar. To each their own I suppose.

Though where exactly did this piece of information come from?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:

Not to start anything but I've always found your lack of faith in the ability of Bang Zoom! Entertainment quite peculiar. To each their own I suppose.

I figured as much. It's not that I hate Bang Zoom! Entertainment, I just feel they can do a much better job with their resources given they're located in the most talent-rich region of the United States and they've got constant business from at least two major anime companies. The only real company that grates my nerves is VIZ Media, as well as situations when companies make moves toward exclusive or consolidated synergy. Of course, I'm heavily biased in favour of FUNimation, but I've got my reasons beyond mere "loyalty" for that.

That being said, it does appear to me that less expensive/high potential titles get sent to BZE, which really surprises me given FSN was supposed to be the biggest property of the last few years (maybe the popularity died down when everyone found out the Fate route was animated...), though I've listened to BZE's dub and it's OK.

I feel bad for Higgy given that being sent to BZE is a good indicator of a dub simmilar to FSN; it'll have appropriate voices but weak delivery. Frankly, not all the voices in the original show were appropriate (Satoshi Laughing ), but the acting was so excellent it made up for how absolutely horrible the rest of the show was. As I said before, this is one of those titles that needs a dub with strong actors, even if they're not fully fitting; I'm confident Ocean Studios could do that, but I am not sure what route BZE will go with Higgy. Elsewise, there wouldn't be much of a reason to buy into this title for non-fans, and heck, one would have to enamored with this title to buy into it after the mystery is solved. One individual put in an enormus series spoiler earlier in this topic as if it were common knowledge that could literally ruin the enjoyment of the entire show.

As an individual who really only buys anime for dubs, I wouldn't be able to bear listening to Higgy with a weak English performance; there's just too many negatives in animation, art, and direction to make a moderately enjoyable package for a second run-through. At least FSN has the action, music, and a logical series of events to follow; Higgy is just, well, out there.

topleka wrote:
Casey & Friends needs to be a DVD extra. How do I write Geneon and ask them for it?

Impossible with Azumanga Daioh's music. Though, It would be hugely ironic (and funny!) if the folks in Casey & Friends actually got casted into Higurashi. Very Happy

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Chinomi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
topleka wrote:

Oh topleka and your silly plugging :P
topleka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Chinomi wrote:
topleka wrote:

Oh topleka and your silly plugging Razz

Oh Chinomi, you know you want it too.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
You know MT, I actually agree with you. Ocean could probably work wonders with the show (not to mention that Kira's seiyuu did Keiichi). The strongest aspect of Higurashi was without question the superb voice acting (most notably USODA! and the Shmion roles). As much as I love dubs, this one will probably stay a sub-watch show for me unless I hear something I really like. As much as I like most of the work that BZE does, the cast they use doesn't have a lot of variation. I could see Crispen as Akasaka, and Stefanie Sheh would work absolute WONDERS as Rena, but I don't see much other than that.
Chinomi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
topleka wrote:
Chinomi wrote:
topleka wrote:

Oh topleka and your silly plugging Razz

Oh Chinomi, you know you want it too.

I cry because it's true ):
sukisho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
topleka wrote:

Yes! It needs to be on there! It must be on there.lol..
grgspunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd like Casey and Friends to be an extra (although I'll shoot myself if Geneon releases the whole series like that), I don't think it's possible since one of the background music comes from Azumanga Daioh. That is ADV's territory.
topleka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Geneon should redo it themselves with the official VAs. XD

I'm fairly certain miharaoujirou wouldn't mind if they asked him nicely.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
topleka wrote:
Geneon should redo it themselves with the official VAs. Anime hyper

I'm fairly certain miharaoujirou wouldn't mind if they asked him nicely.

No way! They need the Casey and Friends actors if it'll be good. They just need different music. Geneon has lots they can use.
Rena_Ryuuguu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this show and cant wait for it to be released in english!!!!!!
*+~Nyuu~+*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
YAY!!! I loved this show and can't wait to see it in english!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this show and can't wait to watch it in english!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5