• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Claymore Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was foolish to hope that Funimation would license a more low profile show, still I'll gladly buy the boxset when it'll come out in a year or two.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
I guess it was foolish to hope that Funimation would license a more low profile show, still I'll gladly buy the boxset when it'll come out in a year or two.

Exactly, stand alone DVDs are too expensive and take up too much room.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:

Considering they were promoting this as FUNIMATION'S MASSIVELY IMPORTANT MINDBLOWING LICENSE ANNOUNCEMENT if they'd come out and said "we picked up Bartender!!" they'd look a little silly.
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Considering they were promoting this as FUNIMATION'S MASSIVELY IMPORTANT MINDBLOWING LICENSE ANNOUNCEMENT if they'd come out and said "we picked up Bartender!!" they'd look a little silly.[/quote]

Granted Claymore was an alright show except for maybe last 4 or 5 episodes, it's not a mind blowing crazy so go SERIOUS ANIME FANS only show. That Gurren Lagann was pretty funny because they were just so over the top on purpose, but I see Claymore as nothing more than a show that was destined to get licensed because it was worthy enough. I highly doubt it will ever be on TV though, same with Gurren Lagann. I can't wait to see Bandai's viral marketing of Lucky Star.
san-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
just another show to take up their time instead of releasing other series' they keep ignoring *.*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Monsieur Pink wrote:

Considering they were promoting this as FUNIMATION'S MASSIVELY IMPORTANT MINDBLOWING LICENSE ANNOUNCEMENT if they'd come out and said "we picked up Bartender!!" they'd look a little silly.

Are you saying there's a chance that they'll pick up Bartender? That would be huge! We could have Travis Willingham as Ryuu!

Seriously, though, I'm glad Funimation has wrangled themselves another pretty big title. My respect for them has certainly grown over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Actually I think Claymore has a very good chance of airing on AS since they seem to have no problem with graphic violence (I could see them toning it down a bit).

Oh, the violence isn't a problem at all, no question. I'm talking about the nudity, the (sort of) tentacle rape scene, ect.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I am so bloody happy that this has been licensed! Ever since seeing the fansub I've been waiting, nay, praying, for this to be licensed. Granted, I won't deny my absolute refusal to buy the last 4-5 episodes, but the rest I shall pick up. Actually, it'll probably be cheaper to go with the boxset, so I probably will end up buying it all, I just won't enjoy the last episodes. Still, I would like to see this on AS, even though for some reason cartoonnetwork comes in scratchy for me. And, I don't think that Claymore will be too mutilated if put on AS. If only the same could be said about Elfen Lied. However, if anyone really wants to know, just start a request topic about it on the AS forums. If it gains enough popularity like Elfen Lied, they'll say whether they'd have to mutilate it or not. I'm still hoping that Funimation acquires When They Cry. Heck, almost anybody would do assuming they don't cut crap.
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I just about screamed at my laptop when I saw the ANN headline and first thing that came to mind was ITS ABOUT DAM TIME! I'm caught up with the american manga release as well. The anime was pretty dam sick. As for the ending, I thought they did a decent job, I wasn't as disappointed as the majority of the viewers. I highly doubt it will be shown on AS since it shows breasts. Claymore is a very mindblowing shounen and other than the Orphelia arc's nudity, I don't really see a problem with it airing on AS.

definitely can't wait to hear the casting announcements. I'm glad Funimation got it since I like their ADR work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Claymore, but I've heard that it's good. But the video itself was more entertaining than the announcement. "Call me... the Scorpion" BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMPA. Laughing

I didn't see that anybody has posted a link to the official site, which has a trailer. http://funimation.com/claymore/ It convinced me to buy it when it comes out. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MH Knights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
*Fansubs deleted*

I will jump on the "Last four episodes suck" bandwagon but the rest of the series is pretty good overall. Manga is better though, I just wish Viz would release new volumes on a more regular basis and without these three to four month gaps.

Yes Claymore does have some standard shounen action cliches but I look at it like this: A fight that would take DBZ/Naruto/Bleach/etc ten episodes Claymore gets done in one.

The violence is not that bad either, Elfen Lied is far, far worse. Granted there is a reason a lot of fans subtitle it "Claymore: A Farewell to Arms" but nothing to scare soccer moms that much. Most of it is the usual "anime charcters all have 20 gallons of blood with a blood pressure of 100psi" fountains.

Thanks Funi!
BluMeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
MH Knights wrote:
*Fansubs deleted*

I wouldn't do that quite yet. Who know what will happen, they may go the way of Geneon. And then we'll have the same problem we did with Black Lagoon. Don't delete your subs until you have the DVDs in hand.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is probably the least likely company that will die out.. but .. if they did I think I would probably freak out a bit. I think I'd just stop buying anime entirely if such a thing were to occur.

Anyway, I doubt it'd happen so right now I think this is the safest company to see license something you like.

I like Funimation in general anyway so it's good news all around.

Of course I'll keep my fansubs around for awhile to compare them to the official dvds. I'm buying them regardless since I want a dub. If the dub turns out to suck I'll still buy them, but I'll be disappointed in Funi (I'm totally not expecting this though).
Super Llama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hoorjay! I was waiting for this show to get licensed.

I'd have to say between the anime and the manga, I prefer the anime a small iota more. Granted, the ending is weak as hell, but the fight scenes seem a lot more intense in the anime than in the manga.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME! Cant wait to own it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7