• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Foxbox Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
never said they were full of worthless crap, just said they were fools on how they have released stuff. 3 eps. per DVD for 30 dollars, I can get a fansub of the same quality, with 30 eps. and with out the bad dub, for the same amount. That's all I was meaning behind them being morons. Personally I am with you, I rather they buy up 20 series and sit on half, while they produced the other half for US release.

This is because ADV and what not actually have to

1. agree on contracts
2. play by rules
3. pull in a profit to continue production/license aqquisition.

As it stands, fansubs were never intended to be permenant replacements anyway.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:22 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
[SNIP. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't quote an entire message. -C]

Well put,Izlude.Well put indeed.
Poppycock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

GallenStorm wrote:
Yet don't forget Tech TV who have been doing an awesome job as well.

Not really. TechTV did a fair enough job at first, but a few months before and ever since the G4 merger, they basically condemned anime to a living death. Zero advertisement, 3:00am timeslots....

it's on at 12:00 eastern too ya know but your right about the zero ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Poppycock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:
Oh my god I buy Taiwanese fan subs, cause our own damn country can't release a show fast enough as some of you have stated

There's also a thing called patience my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs are a great discussion topic and all, but please, we're trying to theroetically talk about Foxbox trailers. If you want to discuss fansubs, consider making a new thread in the anime forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:20 pm Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:
I am also aware that people like Fred Galiger of Megatokyo have broken into it. Not saying I will be as successful, but writing/drawing manga has been my true ambition before I ever even thought about theater.

Actually, he didn't really break into the manga industry per se, he simply created a an American satire of manga that became popular among members of the anime fan community. It's Western spoof.

GallenStorm wrote:
never said they were full of worthless crap, just said they were fools on how they have released stuff. 3 eps. per DVD for 30 dollars, I can get a fansub of the same quality, with 30 eps. and with out the bad dub, for the same amount. That's all I was meaning behind them being morons.

Actually they (as well as Geneon, Bandai, etc.) have been improving their episode:disc ratio in recent months, as the industry's grown to the point that they can pull the same profit from fewer discs. If more people would support the domestic releases and not go for the cheap (in more ways than price) alternative, the number of episodes per disc in domestic releases would grow quicker.

And of course, there are instances where the Japanese producers are rather inflexible about episode:disc counts because it could threaten their "$60 for two episode" stranglehold if Japanese fans begin importing R1 releases. But I don't think this is a majority instance, and really only tends to apply to majour series.

GallenStorm wrote:
Also I think the reason their quality has gone down in the last few years is due to trying to keep up with the newbies, i.e. Funimation, 4kids, and Media Blasters.

Huh? I've actually noticed ADV, Geneon, etc. increasing in the quality of their releases. Compare "Samurai-X" and the original Evangelion volume 1 to...say...Full Metal Panic! and Azumanga Daioh. Bigtime improvement in all aspects.

GallenStorm wrote:
Compared to the recent US made “kiddy fest“, anything that doesn't look like Ed, Edd and Eddy or Moucha Lucha is a work of art.

Doesn't make Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh! any less commercial whores. Actually, I'd say they're worse because they're blatantly pushing products more than they are seeking to entertain.

GallenStorm wrote:
Oh and Ranma 1/2 was also in the category of “kiddy fest” in Japan, but due to the sexual innuendos, it isn't considered that here.

Actually, I was under the impression it was aimed at either teens or a general "family" audience. Since...all of Takahashi's productions are like that.

GallenStorm wrote:
I misspell the name of a series I can’t even pronounce, but I do remember as season 3 of Robotech, and you doubt that I’ve been into anime for 12 years. Fine go ahead and doubt, I know I’ve been there, don't need to prove it to you.

Well, the general "I'm screaming bloody murder because Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't made mature here!" attitude and the horrible grammar led me more to that conclusion than the mispelling of "Mospaeda." That was just...more a punctuation piece.

GallenStorm wrote:
that's Pokemon, don't tell me I have bad grammar when you can't even spell Pokemon. But heck I can’t spell Mosepeada.

That was...kind of intentional. I'm poking fun at most anti-4Kids fanatics' inability to spell. Notice it was in quotations? Ya get it now? Eh? Eh?

GallenStorm wrote:
and I just don't understand why it takes putting a gun to an Otakus head to get them to do anything these days.

Perhaps the "problem" is that many anime fans have faith in 4Kids' recent collaboration with FUNimation for uncut releases. That, and the vast majority of 4Kids properties are commercial whore kiddy shows that only a small fraction of anime fans even give half a damn about (isn't it funny how Pokemon & Ultimate Muscle seem to have strikingly small fanbases among the "otaku" crowd?). Sure, they got Mew Mew & One Piece, but that goes back to the "faith in uncut releases" point. If people support FUNi & 4Kids in the endeavour, these shows will likely see uncut release. Simple as that.

GallenStorm wrote:
Your probably right. But on Naruto I have heard rumor that Funimation is working to get a hold of Naruto, since it does fit their DB, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho line up. I just don't want to see 4kids ruin the music in Naruto and change everyone's names. this is the one show I really would have problems with the name changing.

At the rate it's going now, nobody's gonna get Naruto. The price to license it's gonna get upped to the point that nobody whose interested could afford it. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
You know GallenStorm I hate to repeat myself but I guess I have to.....

If you don't like the way 4Kids dubs there shows BUY THE UNCUT DVD RELEASES!!

Complaining to us on here and insulting your fellow posters is going to accomplish nothing beyond losing your own creditbility.

Thank you!

*smiles*
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
[DBZOA-ish anti-4Kids fanaticism]
4KIDS IS RUINING ANIME FOREVER!

Their voices are all terrible in such a way that I cannot put into words because of all the ANGER from them RUINING EVERYTHING EVER!

Their editing of Yu-Gi-Oh!, a show made to sell cards, robs it of it's inherent themes of faith and friendship and BUYING CARDS and really ugly faces!

They bought Tokyo MewMew and One Piece specifically to sit back and watch as we cry ourselves to sleep at night! They are sustaining themselves off our sweet, nourishing tears! And they do this while lying on a matress composed of manga artist Eiichiro Oda, whom they had to kill in order to license One Piece! AND THEY WILL (definitely not) DO THE SAME THING TO NARUTO!

QUICKLY, TO THE TEN-THOUSAND WEB-BASED PETITIONS I HAVE MADE FOR THEIR ARREST
[/DBZOA-ish anti-4Kids fanaticism]

if shaman king and YGO sell well uncut i'm pretty sure we'll see them do the same for more of their shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Good Lord was that funny. I applaud you Sir.
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
*dies laughing*

A applaud your witty insight LordByronius....
GallenStorm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps the "problem" is that many anime fans have faith in 4Kids' recent collaboration with FUNimation for uncut releases. That, and the vast majority of 4Kids properties are commercial whore kiddy shows that only a small fraction of anime fans even give half a damn about (isn't it funny how Pokemon & Ultimate Muscle seem to have strikingly small fanbases among the "otaku" crowd?). Sure, they got Mew Mew & One Piece, but that goes back to the "faith in uncut releases" point. If people support FUNi & 4Kids in the endeavour, these shows will likely see uncut release. Simple as that.

Really, I could care less about Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh, their just examples, and series I have heard get complained about. I am more annoyed with One Piece and Shaman King. Specially since 4kids edits out the opening theme songs and change the music. That has always been my big issue. Also the fact they add in dialog were silence should be, cause it seems to be an American thing to not have any open static, but to fill the space in with a snide remarks or something irrelevant to the show or characters.

Yu Gi Oh, as an anime is truly a commercial hoer, but the manga I personally like, and sadly I am a 23 year old who enjoys the card game, guess it reminds me of Magic: The Gathering. Also I am a sucker for shiny things with cool anime like pics on them.

Overall I am a purist ok, I hate anime that is Americanized, most of the time I watch the show in Japanese, and when I get past the language barrier I will also probably not use subtitles. I just like how the Japanese voice actors handle the characters, now I have made exceptions, Cowboy Bebop, I think is better in English, and Eva is easier to understand in English, unless you fluently speak Japanese and can listen to it that way. Subtitles only help a little in Evas case for an English audiences. Now this doesn’t mean I don't give the English cast the chance, but most of the time, some of the characters personality is lost in the English performance, mostly due to the fact that you lose accents and quirks in the voice which are easier to come by in Japanese then in English. Taski from Fushigi Yugii, is one such character, to accurately recreate his voice in English would be almost impossible. Some of the trills in his pronunciation of words which emphasis that he is a bandit, are only good in Japanese and could not be properly reproduced in English. Now I do give FUNimation credit for Yu Yu Hakusho and Kuwabara (sp?) the voice sucks compared to the Japanese version, but it is pretty cool that the voice director and the actor tried it out.

Aside from that, I am all for supporting FUNimation if they do a descent job on the uncut One Piece and Shaman King, Believe me, I will be one of the first in line for One Piece when they release an uncut version . But till that day comes I go fansub, why? Refer to previous paragraph.

As for my grammar and spelling, let me just inform you not everyone in the world is gifted with out problems. I am dyslexic, so bare with me ok, that is all I ask. I prefer not to flash that card around, cause I am not to proud of having such a flaw, but that may answer why my grammar and spelling sucks to a degree.

Quote:

Now putting their faith in 4kids, I am not so sure if it isn't real the fact that these fans are just lazy and don't care, or have been told by so many people on forums and what not that bothering to complain means nothing. Since this grand nation of ours now pushes so hard on the fact that if you don't have money or power, your opinion means nothing and to even try to fight the system by their rules is pointless. Though I am not for the radical fans idea of going in and kicking the %$#@ out of them. But the image is pretty funny if it could happen. ( image of jay and Silent bob in some corporate head’s office kicking the %$#@ out of them.

Quote:
At the rate it's going now, nobody's gonna get Naruto. The price to license it's gonna get upped to the point that nobody whose interested could afford it.

I hate to sound like a child, as I seem to have been doing well thus far, but good. I hope the show is so hard to get a hold of that by the time it does come over here all this stupid editing and Americanizing will be over. That finally the mainstream will have finally fully taken effect, that people will be accustomed to Japanese culture as they are to Spanish or French culture.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:
Now putting their faith in 4kids, I am not so sure if it isn't real the fact that these fans are just lazy and don't care,

Well, given how the decided majority of anime fans don't care about 4Kids' shows (One Piece & Mew Mew being exceptions), this might very well be the case.

GallenStorm wrote:
or have been told by so many people on forums and what not that bothering to complain means nothing.

Another possibility is that they've been so inundated with 4Kids hateboys over the prior months that any mention of the issue immediately raises either apathy or irritation purely on conditioned reflex. ANN is one such case...it's happened so much that many of the people here are just sick of hearing about 4Kids, period. Not saying it as a mark against you personally, just saying that you probably came around at a bad time to so vehemently rail against 4Kids. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GallenStorm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Tomoyo714 I have not gone out of my way to insult anyone here, specially you. Though I am sure you don't like having someone point that out to you. None of my post have been directed at you or other posters. As I stated before, if you so wish to be the center of my rants and feel that I am personally attacking you for liking 4kids and being a loony fan girl/boy at anime cons, then be my guest. But I never said you were, you have made this assumption.

Oh and I think it was one of your friend here who told me that I was probably to dumb to understand your first post to me. Lets see, who is attacking who here?

Aside from that, I will complain about the dis-justice being done to anime. I am a fan, I do not have faith in these companies cause I know just as well as everyone else they are in it for the money. As a fan I have a right to complain and petition for them to release uncuts, which now they seem to be doing. But they haven't done it for One Piece yet and Naruto still hangs out in lala land. So until that happens and until the threat of Americanization of all anime shows is put to rest, I shall be a purist fan who will demand that I get to have the choice between dub or sub, uncut or cut.

I feel children are being robed of a cultural experiences, at the expense of being brainwashed by these companies, so that they go out and buy the merchandise. Yes, Yu Gi Oh was like this in Japan, but it also carried morals and values, in America it doesn't. All it carries is a repetitious ad for a card game. This argument is on more then just the butchering of anime on TV, but also an argument on the lose of morals being taught to our young in our country and the lose of creativity. All so some rich guy in a company can get richer.

So before you fight me on this, sit down and watch the fansubed version of Yu Gi Oh, Shaman King, or just watch one of the otehr million TV shows that are already here and un cut. One of the things that attracts us to these stories, I believe, is the fact that they deal with the complexity of life and morals, and do not hide the fact that life is tough. That being a good person or having friends can and will always help get you through life. That evil can sometimes change sides and that true evil, even if it is winning in the beginning will lose in the end. All themes once found in our cultures literature, but now lost to the modern ideas of the strong will survive and the weak will die or be the strong’s minions, because money and corruption is what give one power, and honor and loyalty will leave you at the bottom.
GallenStorm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another possibility is that they've been so inundated with 4Kids hateboys over the prior months that any mention of the issue immediately raises either apathy or irritation purely on conditioned reflex. ANN is one such case...it's happened so much that many of the people here are just sick of hearing about 4Kids, period. Not saying it as a mark against you personally, just saying that you probably came around at a bad time to so vehemently rail against 4Kids.

Hey I said I hate them, but I am more for getting people rallied up and sending mature letters of, "hey I am an older fan and I like it if you would do such and such." I just want to see fans show this company in a tactful way that their are fans out here. That if it weren't for us, no one would care about anime, so would they please give us our piece of the pie as well. I also just want them to realize that it isn't bad to introduce a new culture to Americans, my god isn't our country the super multi cultural metropolises? LOL, I am being a little hypocritical their cause I get really pissed at our nation, but still aren't we. I just think fans need to keep tossing the ball so that through a balance of fans and companies we all get what we want. The common public need to be taught that the Japanese are nothing to fear. That their culture is beautiful, not perverted and violent. That their culture is no different then our own and that they got some really awesome rock bands. Anime smile
Genjackel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:

I feel children are being robed of a cultural experiences, at the expense of being brainwashed by these companies, so that they go out and buy the merchandise.

er.... I dont think the Children who normally watch Yu Gi Oh and etc. care about the cultural experience of it all. They're are young kids who just like Cartoons man. I wasnt looking for Cultural experiences in Winnie the Pooh when I was young and I doubt any other little kid is looking for them too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6