• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I can at least provide a counterpoint to this -- my hard-on for ginormous robots is very apparent, I hope, but some people will never ever even give a glance at Eva or FMP no matter what you tell them. To each his own, I say. I mean I found the light harem elements of RahXephon amusing but not distracting, and Nadesico's harem themes were cute at times, but they weren't the WHOLE point of the shows, and in each example, the hero did end up with one girl in particular (OK, it's more implied in Nadesico's case, but still...).
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
LANCE, ARE YOU LISTENING?

My pre-orders are all contained below... in addition to Seto, of course. Highlights first would be nice, and forget the dub on SZS, just translate the blackboards.

Unit... you're missing in your culture. Just gotta say...

ani12 wrote:
Aw, I was hoping for Higurashi season 2, but I guess I will check this series out.

Mario1234567 wrote:
Now we need

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Toradora!
Sumomomo Momomo

zanarkand princess wrote:
the things you see fans requesting are Shana season 2, Higurashi season 2, Toradora, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and [deleted] ;>

Katsu Koneko wrote:
Now if Funi could license Higurashi season 2 & Nagasarete Airantou...I'd be happy. Very Happy

kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm not a big harem fan so not to excited. I really want Higurashi Kai. Return of the Killer Lolis.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Highlights first would be nice, and forget the dub on SZS, just translate the blackboards.

Don't you DARE forget the dub! Consider at least one on the spot preorder gone if there's no dub. I don't care how referential a series it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
Highlights first would be nice, and forget the dub on SZS, just translate the blackboards.

Don't you DARE forget the dub! Consider at least one on the spot preorder gone if there's no dub. I don't care how referential a series it is.

Okay, okay! It can have a dub. I just probably won't watch it because I can't imagine losing most of the references.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
First, all of the licenses announced over the weekend, and now the one show that I've perhaps been anticipating the most, SnH. I'm very glad to hear that it finally got picked up, as it is possiblity the funniest anime show I've seen (and that's saying a lot, as I don't give many shows such definite praise). Its style may be a bit too much for some tastes, but I think, if marketed well, it could find a good-sized audience. FUNimation's done well with comedies in the past, but it remains to be seen how well they transition and perform all those jokes and styles into English (without deviating too far from the original script). The title itself may not be as distinctive as the Japanese one and sounds rather generic, but it's suitable and maybe they'll keep the original somewhere on the logo. I hope FUNimation retains the logo's style and the original DVD cover art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I got nothing to say except awesome. Cool
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this, but it seems like it could be a lot of fun. Might have to see a few episodes to see if it falls into the conventional trappings, but until then it will be one I keep under consideration.

Joe Mello wrote:
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but each title's mileage varies, and you really don't know what's going to be a hit until you release it (save for a few select titles). An English track, despite costing money, makes titles more accessible for English-speaking customers, thus increasing the chances of turning a profit.

Get out of my mind!!! Very Happy Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey fellas, I clicked on this thread to see what people had to say about this ca-RAZY little mermaid luau yakuza cartoon getting published in R1 and instead I get people showing off their "I don't like Shinji Ikari!" badges. This makes me sad.

That said, I know next to nothing about this show other than that it's by GONZO and has little mermaid yakuza luau parties and stuff. I've been pretty unimpressed with most of GONZO's recent works, but this looks so weird it might prove unbad. I mean seriously-- how does THAT work? I hope that Funimation decides to stream the first couple of episodes so that I can sate this curiosity of mine. And hey, even if it sucks, it's always nice to have more stuff over here. Woo-hoo, yakuza mermaid luau!
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Great show, I'm ecstatic about this. The Japanese name sounded much better but oh well. We also better get the OVAs too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Terriyaki Terrier wrote:
Hopefully Funimation will license a slice of life show, like Sketchbook.
Why, so it can put up big numbers like Strawberry Marshmallow (speaking of people bitching about straightforward title translations Rolling Eyes ) didn't do for Geneon? I'm sure it's a decent show, but I can't think of it as a good licensing prospect.
Please let us dream Zalis. Without dreams, our souls will die. (Well, mine won't, but that's only because it's a dark abysmal void from which the sounds of eldritch horrors can be heard.)

Frankly, I think they are the only ones who can make a release like that work anymore and fans like me have any hope of an English dub. They're getting ever more of my anime budget because of this faith I have in them.

I've read some good things before about My Bride is a Mermaid, and the word harem has been posted here as well as references to it being a comedy in the style of an Azumanga or a School Rumble.

Another series I'll be picking up most likely. Can't wait to see some preview episodes. (There's another thing they do that I love! These are essential for us non-fansub watching types.)
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
YAY! One of '07's funniest comedies (behind Hayate) is finally coming here! Now let's hope they get a TV deal over here 'cause the humor is f**king golden!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I can at least provide a counterpoint to this -- my hard-on for ginormous robots is very apparent, I hope, but some people will never ever even give a glance at Eva or FMP no matter what you tell them.

Not even glance at, or bash just because they're mecha? You complain about My Bride is a Mermaid based on the typical harem tropes, but so much of the show is based on character humor.
Also, the number of regular male characters is as high as the number of females, give or take depending what episode you're up to. That tends not to happen in most harem series, nor do parents often play such a prominent role (both parents for Nagasumi and San, plus Edomae) in the genre.
poehitman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE let them dub this! And PLEASE let them not suck on the cast choices as bad as The Familiar of Zero did!

I don't get why sub fans are so against a title being dubbed. It's not like they eliminate the subtitle and original japanese audio track. If you hate dubs, then change the audio to the original japanese and turn on the subtitles. It's not hard.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
PLEASE let them dub this! And PLEASE let them not suck on the cast choices as bad as The Familiar of Zero did!

I don't get why sub fans are so against a title being dubbed. It's not like they eliminate the subtitle and original japanese audio track. If you hate dubs, then change the audio to the original japanese and turn on the subtitles. It's not hard.

Welcome to the early 1990s, enjoy your stay
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

Okay, okay! It can have a dub. I just probably won't watch it because I can't imagine losing most of the references.

It can have all the dub it wants, but it's not going to easily replicate the same feeling.

omnistry wrote:
YAY! One of '07's funniest comedies (behind Hayate) is finally coming here! Now let's hope they get a TV deal over here 'cause the humor is f**king golden!

Aside from satellite channels, there won't be any TV deal.

poehitman wrote:

Subs fans are against dubs somewhat for their mere existence, but also because we're seen prices of subbed DVDs versus dubbed DVDs, and the prices differ. Dubs cost money to produce, so the DVD is more expensive, and dub-haters don't want to pay dub actors by buying anime with dubs.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9