• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstances (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackness

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano was something I was watching On Demand. They restarted it though. From what i've seen it's a good series. I really like Asuba because he's a total flirt. I really don't have reason to dislike the series.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Posting in an old topic the 2nd time today, but I had never saw this thread before, and Kare Kano is in my top 5 favorite anime ever.
Steve Berry wrote:

I thought the first 4 eps were pure genius-- very funny (in a situational way, rather than generally being slapstick), truly romantic, yet intelligent and insightful without melodrama in an overblown way. Music was very good. Animation was minimal, but the manga-ish feel worked, and was such an over-riding theme that it seemed an active aesthetic/artistic choice, rather than one dictated by budget (although I'm sure it was that too).
[snip]
Still, I thought the first 4 eps were sooooooo good, that I took my DVD, burnt them to my computer, edited them together with crossfades, cleaned up the video a bit, cut out all the annoying recaps, made a menu, and burned myself a DVD of the first 4 eps as a movie. It works _perfectly_ as a movie. Its the right length-- about 82 minutes or so. Its got a great story arc. It's all about Arima and Yukino, very romantic and very funny. Plus, oddly, the first 4 eps had a cohesion to them that the rest of the show lacked-- all the shots of the traffic lights changing colors and the repeating motif of the faucets and rain spouts either spilling water or being very dry only runs through those first 4 eps, then they disappear. I also kept the Act 1.0, etc. titles as sort of "Tarantino"-esque narrative devices. They work really well, and that's where a laid my audio crossfades.

I'm suprised, this post sums up exactly how I feel about the series. Only I like to include episodes 5 and 6 as well (perhaps sort of a "sequel" to your "movie"). Asaba is such a great character (my favorite besides Yukino) that I can't ignore his presence in this series. The same goes for Yukino/Arima's first kiss. That whole episode is amazing and is a defining moment in their relationship I think.

So I'd say the first TRS DVD of Kare Kano is a MUST see. There are other aspects to the show that I love though, like the Miyazawa parents' history, the acceptance of Kazuma as Tsusbasa's "brother", and the introduction of Tonami - which only seemed tacked on because of the series abrupt ending. I just particularly like the first DVD, especially all of Yukino's roundabout inner monologues. Also the track from the OST "Eshajouri", which is used liberally in the first 6 episodes (but perfectly compliments the effect of every scene it's used in).

The ending was jarring, but I wasn't worried, I rushed right out and bought the manga. The manga seems a little more shoujo-y by comparison, but I still love it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Just have to reiterate the good and bad points. Great beginning, especially the first four episodes. Bad ending that leaves half a dozen storylines hanging. Hate the recaps and the animation shortcuts. My least favorite shortcut being the bluewashed live action shots of street gutters Rolling Eyes There are points at the end where you can time blocks of more than two minutes without any real animation.

If you haven't watched it I might suggest that you wait until the final two mangas are released (once you finish the the anime you'll HAVE to read the books for closure), presumably by the end of the year. Unfortunately Tokyopop has decided to drag it out as long as they can. The first 17 volumes were being published bi-monthly, v.18 came three months later, since then it's been a four month wait, the final volume (v.21) doesn't have release date yet, but if it's a four month wait it won't come out until December!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:

I'm suprised, this post sums up exactly how I feel about the series. Only I like to include episodes 5 and 6 as well (perhaps sort of a "sequel" to your "movie"). Asaba is such a great character (my favorite besides Yukino) that I can't ignore his presence in this series. The same goes for Yukino/Arima's first kiss. That whole episode is amazing and is a defining moment in their relationship I think.

So I'd say the first TRS DVD of Kare Kano is a MUST see. There are other aspects to the show that I love though, like the Miyazawa parents' history, the acceptance of Kazuma as Tsusbasa's "brother", and the introduction of Tonami - which only seemed tacked on because of the series abrupt ending. I just particularly like the first DVD, especially all of Yukino's roundabout inner monologues. Also the track from the OST "Eshajouri", which is used liberally in the first 6 episodes (but perfectly compliments the effect of every scene it's used in).

In truth, I felt much the same way as you-- in general, I liked the first DVD as well. The first kiss scene, in particular, was very well done. And oddly, I think you really _can_ watch just the first DVD and have a sense of completion-- it really ends on thast "we're gonna make it" sort of feel with Yukino and Arima.

I found though, when I went to make my movie/compilation that it was very hard to splice them all together as easily. I really wanted to include the first kiss scene, for example, but it just wasn't as "integrated" into the flow of the plot as much as the first 4 eps were. It starts to get more episodic in feel after the first 4 eps-- which is fine, as a TV show, it just, in the end, didn't really work for the "movie-viewing" experience I was looking for. But yeah, the whole first DVD is really very good. There are some slow spots, here and there, in eps 5 and 6 (versus the entirity of the first 4 eps being wizz bang fantastic)-- but all in all, the first DVD is by far the best (in my mind), and there are still some priceless moments in eps 5 and 6. There are some spots I really liked around eps 10-12 as well, I just didn't feel like it was worth wading through the inbetween eps to get there.

As for the ending, I never got to it..... I just sort of lost interest after the "big events" in ep 18 or so..... Perhaps to my loss?? I went to go check out the manga at the library, but yeah, I found it a bit shoujo-ish for my taste. The show seemed to tone some of that down a bit, while upping the ante on the psychological analysis (which is very Anno anyways)-- both of which tend to be more of what I like. Still, of course, the romance is really what drew me in, and that is wonderful, I'm sure, in whatever way one experiences the story.
blackness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that my favorite episodes would have to be the episode where Yukino rebeled against the teachers, the episodes where Yukino and Arima kiss for the first time, the episodes with Asuba, and the episodes with Tsubasa.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I really have nothing new to add to the show's description (Great at first, craps out at end, like everyone says.)

As for those on the fence about buying it, though- just do it! Those first episodes really are fantastic, espeically when you consider when you consider Rightstuf offering the boxset for $45. (I think of it at $15 apiece for 3 good discs, plus 2 lousy continuation discs and an artbox thrown in for free. Wink )
TiffYG2133

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well I like this show because it's sweet and innocent! just like my post... haha! Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorites. I can't believe it does not have more fans. The charecter development was amazing, and I liked how everycharecter had a back story. There were no "extra's." Everyone was part of the story.

I do agree about the second half. Some of the side-stories were great (like Tsubasa's; Yukino's father's story) and some were LAAAME (like the one about her kid sisters) and I reaaally hated that they did so much recap, the first 5 minutrers of every episode, pule 2 (or more?) entire episodes with all recap? (And every recap started at episode 1!!!) It's like the animators assumed no one was watching either! (And thus if they did tune in they'd have to be brought up to speed!) And then the creator just goes and pulls the plug! In the words of Motoko Aoyama... "UNFORGIVABLE!"

But most of my negative feelings come from the fact that I just couldn't get enough of the main story. Since there are only 26 (?) episodes, I hated that so much time was wasted not developing the main 2 or 3 storylines.

As for the "lack of animation," there were some styles they tried towards the end thay I didn't care for, but I love how the animation style was so varied. They really did a lot artistically speaking.

Anyway, I for one plan to (eventually) get the boxed set. I would LOVE for them to go back, do a season two and end the series properly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe I should read the manga....
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering.

What is the record for the most revived thread?

This is the second time this one has been brought back from wherever it is dead threads go...(threaven? Or threll? Perhaps thirvana?)
blackness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Well guess what... I have the first CD and the DVD box set. The ending was bad and it seemed like they were in a rush to finsh or something. I think that my favorite episode is when spoiler[Arima got info on the Hideaki Asuba Dinner Show. And yeah Ithink that that was cheating.]
Askman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I love this series; I rated it an "Excellent." Even so, the second half of the series is definitely not as good as the first half, but still good. I love the spoiler[paper cut out episode] It was creative and goofy as hell. The ending was really bad, in my opinion, and still left you with many questions. Even the voice acting, both the English and Japanese, were off in some parts. I remember near the end of the series in one of the dramatic and serious moments Yukino's Japanese VA was still talking in that excited, happy voice despite the serious mood.

Even with all those problems, I love the series and the characters. Yukino, Aya, Soichiro, Maho, and Asaba are just some of my favorites. Many fo the moments and parts of the show will be with me for a long while. It was also the show that opened me up to romantic anime, along with it being the second anime I ever bought. I recomend it wholeheartedly to anyone Smile
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW it has really been a fantastic series for me It has also made alot of emotions for to I laughed cried got angry *Arima's real mother DAMN YOU HOW DARE YOU HIT A CHILD* And its rare for me to like so many of the charaicters Like Yukino Arima Tsubasa Yukino's family *I wish i had those cool parents and cute little sisters* LOL And Arima's foster parents *They are so great Crying or Very sad* And Takefumi *Cutest fat kid EVER* *And i agree with him there is alot of kids from my child hood that i would LOVE TO GET REVENGE ON* The only bad thing about a show that is perfect *In my Opinion* Is that the Ending just sucked I mean for one did they only have to 25 episodes why not 52 episodes *Just take a break and wait for the manga to catch up* Very Happy but what ever its too late now.

Last edited by coolGAL on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted to see this series for a few years now. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Right Stuf has had it on their weekly special a few times now for less than 40 bucks. Evertime I go to buy it, it's sold out .
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
The subbing is really well done. The alternate angle on the previews was also a nice touch. The DVD notes are really nice as well. Right Stuf did an amazing job with this series, I believe the thinpak has all of the original DVD extras. I'm about halfway through the series, and so far I feel that it incorporates many of the elements that made the later episodes of Evangelion great. I'm almost dreading the post Anno episodes which are rapidly approaching.
blackness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
One of the characters that I absolutely hated was Arima's aunt and cousins. They were complete JERKS! (And yes, that requires capitolazation)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7