• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ōkami-san & Her Seven Companions (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
not

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to say I had my suspects about what exactly happened to Ryouko, and I assumed the worst, and yeah the worst happened much to my dismay.

Honestly, I wish it was something else because a friend I knew in middle school spoiler[was raped], it really hit home for me and evoked a really emotional response which I am glad Ryoushi personified after he was told...

So this show has got me, I like the humor and I like the drama so it would take a lot to have it fail in my eyes at this point.

=3
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I can honestly say episode seven was both odd and hilarious. Very odd in the spoiler[ sense that the second year base ball player looked like he was in his 50's, maybe a little bit younger and the girl that liked him was very odd as well. Isn't breaking in to someone's room against the law? It almost felt like she was a stalker at some point and rubbing her face into the guy's pillow was a little bit strange.]

Now what was absolutely hilarious spoiler[was seeing Ookami act "moe" and Morino reactions. I just wish there was more comedy in this episode, overall was a pretty good episode.]

And for once, the narrator said some pretty funny comments and didn't for the entire episode. Now if only she could do that for the rest of the episodes.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm... outside of the "little boy who cried wolf" thingy that they pinned to Okami, I can't figure out what the fairy tale was suppose to be this episode. And yeah, was kinda hoping that wouldn't be the reason to why Okami gets scared around that one guy but it is. We need some face smashing and soon!

And yeah, I agree with abunai's interpretation. I wouldn't nesscarily call her an actual character in the same sense as the characters we see, but I've always thought it was more like she was reading a tale to us. And usually it doesn't seem like she talks over anything important anyways. But I can see how it can get distracting. I also like how Funi seperates the overlap. Very simple and easy to follow.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, so many funny things to comment on in episode 8

spoiler[-Who else besides me got the Mahoromatic reference?

-I really need to wonder what Otohime and Tarou are doing so hard that she's smacking him against the door.

-Sebestian has my exact mindset when it comes to the glory and unrivaled majesty of the flat chest.

-"Majo-san and Majo-san and Majo-san" Anime hyper

-RingoXRyouko makeout moment was not expected but very welcome]

And, let me just end with...spoiler["Aisaka-san,Kushieda-san,Kawashima-san,Misaka-san,Shiraishi-san,Uiharu-san,Saten-san"]

Laughing

EDIT: Now in .gif format!
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4959/ookami8.gif
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Holy crap, so many funny things to comment on in episode 8

spoiler[-Who else besides me got the Mahoromatic reference?

-I really need to wonder what Otohime and Tarou are doing so hard that she's smacking him against the door.

-Sebestian has my exact mindset when it comes to the glory and unrivaled majesty of the flat chest.

-"Majo-san and Majo-san and Majo-san" XD

-RingoXRyouko makeout moment was not expected but very welcome]

And, let me just end with...spoiler["Aisaka-san,Kushieda-san,Kawashima-san,Misaka-san,Shiraishi-san,Uiharu-san,Saten-san"]

:lol:

EDIT: Now in .gif format!
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4959/ookami8.gif

spoiler[ The very second I heard the reference of that show, I instantly knew it had to be Mahoromatic without a doubt.]

But seriously spoiler[ that butler was fantastic and to be honest, more original than I thought. Instead of fitting the image, Hammel called some of the women on their faults and did it in such a way, it was quite hilarious. It was almost like he knew that the women were either obsessed with their brother, was a stalker that clearly has some issues to work on or even that nothing that the women would say would be interesting.]

spoiler[As for what Otohime is doing to Tarou that she is smacking him against the door, I'd say it's something obvious but not obvious in a sense. I am a guy, so I have an idea, but it's anyone guess.]

But on a very confusing note, spoiler[where in the heck did Taiga, Minori, Ami and those other characters, which some look like they came out of a dating sim game, come from? Isn't Taiga married to Ryuji or at the very least, dating? In addition, Taiga is 18 (at the end of the series) so wouldn't that be slightly odd considering the age difference?]

Like Garfield15, spoiler[ the Ringo/Ryouko make out not only felt like it came out of no where, it wasn't what I expected at all. Just glad it stopped after that, otherwise it would have become quite strange and a tad bit awkward. I figured I see this in a fan fiction, but not in a anime. I am not saying about the kiss in a sense, I just didn't expect it at all.]

But spoiler[ why was the inventor involved in the last few minutes of the show? Was she even involved at all during the "selection" of future wives? I would have enjoyed what Hammel would have said about her though. It's really rare to find a minor character that really is hilarious, but is saying accurate statements.]

Though spoiler[ the 12 year old heir (chu-chu something or rather) character was rather bland from the get go. I had a feeling the second it showed that younger girl spying on him that he would end up with her.]

This episode started out slightly shaking, but eventually became quite interesting. spoiler[Though that baseball player seriously does look middle aged and old enough to be Jizou's dad actually. Okay maybe not, but he seriously does look older than most the cast. Most, but not all.]

Great episode, the butler was awesome.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But on a very confusing note, spoiler[where in the heck did Taiga, Minori, Ami and those other characters, which some look like they came out of a dating sim game, come from? Isn't Taiga married to Ryuji or at the very least, dating? In addition, Taiga is 18 (at the end of the series) so wouldn't that be slightly odd considering the age difference?]

I'm not sure of the first ones, but the latter 4 are from To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (and Index). It's an in-joke because J.C. Staff produced Ookami-san, Toradora and Railgun
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Well most of what I want to say has already been said. I do agree that spoiler[Ringo and Ryouko kissing] pretty unexpected, but I would be lieing if I said that I did not thoroughly enjoy it Anime catgrin .

The very quick references to other J.C. Staff anime was cool, even though we actually had a less recognisable one in the previous episode. I am not quite sure about the fairy tale in this episode, the side one was definetly of the Three Little Pigs, no need for spoiler tag as it was not hidden in the least and was in the episode name. My guesses was that the kid was suposed to look like a mouse since his hair was like ears and had buck teeth.

I think where this episode shone was on picking at the weak spots of the female characters. I was laughing quite a lot when I figured that spoiler[Liszt had sold out Alice to be targeted like that, and also a lot when they showed it was all a trick, and thus Liszt planned on all those girls being treated like that.]

Kind of humourus for the butler spoiler[go at Momoko one second leaving Ryouko and Ringo to be enjoying it, and then the next second have them too trying to claw at him.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
ep.10

*sigh* excuse me as I go into whiny mode.

And we launch into the paint by number comedy/adventure ending in which comedy is secondary, although the bad guy laughs a lot.

how many 12 episode shows work like this?
ep.10- Our hero(es) is tricked and damsel(s) is captured
ep.11- Our hero(es) mount a counter-attack and the hero is (shock!) beaten by the bad guys, damsel(s) remains in control of bad guys. Bad guy tells hero why hero is a loser and why damsel should stay with bad guy. Hero(es) mope around, pondering how weak and hopeless he is and how damsel might be better off with bad guy (usually melds into ep.12)
ep.12 - Hero(es) "buck up" mount another attack and depending on the series either use new moves or go back to original fighting style (whichever didn't work in previous episode). Damsel(s) also stops being practically useless and participates in victory, everyone works together For The Win!

Is there a point to watching the rest of the series now? Maybe I should just wait two weeks and watch the last five minutes?
Oh, who am I kidding? I'll watch it all, maybe Kuroko/Narrator will toss off some good jokes and make fun of how utterly formulaic it'll be getting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I was saddened that Big Boobs spoiler[turned out to be a villainess.] Ah, another day, another rant about a show's formulaic ways. I really wish people would learn to just chill out. It was obvious that there was going to be an ultimate confrontation between Douche-bag and Wolf Girl and her buddies,spoiler[ and a kidnapping follwed by a counter-attack is just as good a narrative device as any.] Oh but wait! I forgot! Every single show MUST come up with a completely original, never-done-before plot - or it just sucks! Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh nothing to sya about spoiler[Puss in Boots], at first I was not sure if they wer a boy or a girl, but cleared up quickly enough. I am not too familiar with the original story, I think it is something about pride. Anyway I am buzzed with excitment with what will hapen next, I am looking forward to it.

Also on the previous weeks episode, I am proud on my knowledge of seeing that shiroi and yuki meaning snow and white, and the seven little people around was also a clue.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I was saddened that Big Boobs spoiler[turned out to be a villainess.] Ah, another day, another rant about a show's formulaic ways. I really wish people would learn to just chill out. It was obvious that there was going to be an ultimate confrontation between Douche-bag and Wolf Girl and her buddies,spoiler[ and a kidnapping follwed by a counter-attack is just as good a narrative device as any.] Oh but wait! I forgot! Every single show MUST come up with a completely original, never-done-before plot - or it just sucks! Rolling Eyes

I said excuse me. I know I'm in curmudgeon mode but damn if I'm not annoyed. It doesn't have to be the most original idea but it sure would be nice if a three episode format would change a bit more. Why shouldn't I complain? As soon as I saw "Big Boobs" I knew what her role was (and despite your weakness for such characters you had to have had suspicians immediately as well) and it's pretty damn clear to me that spoiler[Puss n' Boots is working for the bad guys or in the least a double agent], it barely bears putting in a spoiler tag- if you don't know it than you're really not paying attention- spoiler[He's teaching Ryōshi a skill that will be of no use against Shirō himself and encouraging him to not use a long range attack that would be effective.] (in his fable Puss is unfalteringly faithful to his master and uses trickery to gain his master favors.

Does everything need to be so telegraphed? How can I enjoy something that is so predetermined? Maybe there's some minor surprise still coming- maybe the club president is playing both sides spoiler[and maybe Puss is working for him?]- something is up with him that isn't seemingly completely transparent but that's like only one potentially important aspect I'm unclear on.

So we are left waiting for the moment in the final episode in which Ryōshi in some way fulfills Ryoko's dream version of him in his rescue and in the end she'll go into a milder form of blushing tsundere as she tries to comprehend her appreciation. Not that any relationship will be confirmed, there are probably still a number of light novels to possibly adapt.

If I'm wrong I'll apologize but so far I see no great or even minor surprises coming. I hope I'm wrong and the predicatability of this episode was a red herring for a more decent ending than something like Samurai Harem. It has been a good show up to this point, I would like it to have a good ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow - I have a bit more faith than you that there will be more story surprises than you think, but even if there aren't, that *may* not interfere with my enjoyment of the show. I'm definitely not an advocate of predictability, but yeah, it doesn't take a super-clairvoyant to know that, of course, Wolf Girl will ultimately be won over by Hunter Guy. I'm still looking forward to see it happening even though, by now, I've seen about 100 versions of the same thing (and I'm only counting anime here).

Regardless of the similarity to other shows, I'm looking forward to seeing THESE characters in THAT situation in THIS show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ep.11

Yay! Pleasantly surprised they got rid of the middle of my predicted pattern and went straight to the rescue, with good humor through-out. However it also meant there were no subtleties involved, everything was at face value and that was a slight letdown but I'm pretty gladspoiler[ Puss n' Boots wasn't a traitor. I really liked that fairy tale when I was a li'l 'un,]

But the bad guy was still a piece of cliche-ridden trash...and I quote... "I enjoy seeing people in despair"...."The fun starts now"..."I can't believe you made me bleed." Absolutely freaking boring.

I guess that means the final episode will spoiler[just be a fun little story without any real connection to an overall plot, and leave any further dealings with boring-ass sado-villain for potential future stories or our imaginations]

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm really liking this series and it is probably my pick of this season's releases, but I have to agree with Spastic here. Going with the formula may not make the series bad, but it goes a long way to making it very boring. One of the things I liked about Toradora (another work of the same production company) was that the characters consistently broke the mould... here they are doing the exact opposite. I didn't pin Puss in boots as a traitor but episode 11 was the "*sigh*" episode for me - as the spoiler[groups each got rescued I was almost saying to myself "What's to bet everyone shows up at the school, they all pull forth some puke-summoningly-awful lines about protecting each other, their friends, and/or love/youth, and then the main group of sidelined cast stays outside to fight hordes of nobody whilst the hunter goes in to rescue the wolf?"] I spent most of the episode face-palming..

Anyways, that aside - I just pretended the really gay heroic speeches didn't happen, and those aside it was ok. The best part of the episode was Ryoushi fighting the generic evil guy ("I love seeing people in despair"? Really?? I expected more depth given Ookami's history) which was quite well animated and fast paced. But honestly even if I hadn't seen the same thing in 40+ series before this one, hearing the same guy pronounce "I will protect girl x" verbatim over and over in a series is one anime trope that is killing it for me. It happens over and over again, it's just cheesy and stupid and I'm over it. Maybe I need one of those siestas from anime that everyone goes on now and again, to rekindle their inner love of all things Japanese.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Acknowledging SM and Skylark's criticisms as valid without being as bothered by them, I have to say my main disappointment with the eppie was the passiveness of Wolf Girl. When the series opened, she was a kick-ass, Neko boxing glove-wielding hellion. By the end of the series, she's your standard issue damsel-in-distress. That to me is the real wasted opportunity of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8