• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Garden of Sinners' Atsuhiro Iwakami and Hikaru Kondo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Facesforce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, such a high price just will not work with many americans. This is not japan, where many jobs follow a policy of life employment. Because of which, I can not see such a feasible profit coming from the avarage american. Its more likely that people would download them illegaly then pay the full cost. They should release a collector's set and an economy set for the movies instead.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
We come from different generations. If I want something, I'll sacrifice to get it. Even If it's my health. (Though now a days, not so much anymore.) Nagisa, you must have really optimized your budget to the extreme. I feel for ya.

$400 is change though. Am I really talking to people who can't afford such a thing? Sounds to me like it's more like spite, or someone trying to prove a point, rather than people who can really afford it. It's all pointless though. They've already said they aren't negotiating a price drop anytime soon. That's the set price. Something to work for.

On another note, why anyone would wait for a cheaper boxset to put into a collection is even more beyond me. This set is a luxury item that is meant to be collectors only. I've never heard of a fellow collector making any kind of excuses like that.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:
Nagisa, you obviously don't want the collectors box. If you did you wouldn't find a way not, to like you just explained.

Go about 4 days without eating. It's a shock, I know. You will save enough money each week to get it.

Like I said, financial responsibility. Needs come before wants. I want Kara no Kyoukai on DVD. I need nutrition and I need to have bills paid. Yes, there's finding a way to get the wants in life by cutting back a little here and there, but there are responsible, reasonable ways to do that. In fact, I do it all the time so I can have enough money for recreational odds and ends without breaking the bank (like, say, anime DVDs that aren't priced by madmen). But going most of a week without food, or skipping out on gas until you can't make it to work, or canceling insurance for a few months just for something purely fun and nonessential is irresponsible at best, potentially dangerous at worst.

People who are working and not going to school also have genuine responsibilities dogging their bank accounts. Without those, yes, affording a $400 toybox with a couple blu-rays in it would be a cinch. But in the real world, those responsibilities have to be tended to, and sometimes that doesn't leave enough remaining to be able to spring for optional fun things like that within reason.

There's no point in debating with a horse.

An irresponsible twat like him is screwed for life. At the very least, you and I can find comfort in the ability to sustain ourselves, and control our wants.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
We come from different generations. If I want something, I'll sacrifice to get it. Even If it's my health. (Though now a days, not so much anymore.) Nagisa, you must have really optimized your budget to the extreme. I feel for ya.

There's sacrificing to get something you want, and then there's an unreasonable dedication to vanity overruling necessity. Even when I was in my gung-ho otaku days, I wouldn't give up my health for, let's face it, a bloody cartoon.

And no, I haven't optimized my budget to any extreme, I just know how to handle my finances like an adult. Don't go pitying that.

OtakuExile wrote:
$400 is change though. Am I really talking to people who can't afford such a thing? Sounds to me like it's more like spite, or someone trying to prove a point, rather than people who can really afford it.

Spite would be me proudly shoving my fansubs in people's faces and doing that whole mailing-in-the-bootleg thing everyone was discussing earlier (or in another thread, my memory's a bit murky from springtime allergies at the moment). If I were really well and truly pissed off enough to be as spiteful as I can be, well, that sounded like a pretty cool idea to be honest.

But I'm not spiteful. I just don't prioritize my recreational hobbies over the vital necessities of real life.

OtakuExile wrote:
On another note, why anyone would wait for a cheaper boxset to put into a collection is even more beyond me. This set is a luxury item that is meant to be collectors only. I've never heard of a fellow collector making any kind of excuses like that.

I don't collect anime to set it on a shelf and ogle how pretty it is. I collect it to watch it. Or more accurately re-watch it, seeing as I loathe making blind purchases and vastly prefer to only spring for things I've already seen through other means and genuinely enjoyed (thank the gods streaming came along and I can say I do that legally now). I don't care how pretty the box is or how much the rarity of it all makes me some 'otaku badass' among my peers, I care that I have physical, functional copies of the titles I like, legally paid for at a rate I and the distributor both consider to be reasonable on some level.

I am way more proud of my tiny little 'Anime Legends' $30 clamshell box sets than I am of anything big, fancy, and limited edition in my collection. They play every bit as well in any given DVD player as their over-priced collector's edition counterparts do, and for the price of one collector's edition box I could have half a dozen completed series on my shelves. That, to me, is something to brag about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Things have really changed.

You are still level headed as always. Good talking to you again, Nagisa.

I still haven't decided to get this set yet.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
@Nagisa: I get that reasoning and all...but, I mean...isn't it still nice to have the...well, nice sets on your shelf too?

I mean, let's say you can get the entire second season of GITS in an anime legends pack for...I dunno, $30. And, for the heck of it, you find the ENTIRE Limited Edition set in the tin box at a local FYE for about...$35. Would you go for it, or stick with the anime legends one? The price difference is really a fraction...
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
@Nagisa: I completely agree; we all consume anime, but not everyone is a collector. Rewatch-ability is the golden rule in my purchasing of not just anime, but pretty much any content I buy. Physical, functional, and especially quality releases get my money.

I really believe in supporting discs that are well-authored and sourced from good materials. So when I hear about actual anime films, rare as they are, getting a Blu-ray release (and a proper one at that), it's frustrating to think that people like us have to indulge the quaint yet archaic "culture of cardboard" to join in. But the fact of the matter is there is no shortage of affordable content, anime or otherwise, available to the North American consumer. And I'm willing to bet Garden of Sinners isn't any more worth watching than the best of the rest; I wonder how long it will take the die-hards to appreciate that; maybe a few releases down the line, when the novelty of a foreign marketing scheme wears off. Besides, it's not like you can't spend ridiculous amonts of money on memorabilia that might serve a purpose other than storing your discs. Last time I checked, posters, figurines, and other knick-knacks were in no particular shortage.

Facesforce wrote:
This is not japan, where many jobs follow a policy of life employment.

Even that isn't so common anymore. Many people are working more and more for less and less; the economy is bad there too.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
well I hope that the price goes lower cause I'm definitely hoping that fate type zero gets licensed in the US once it is completed. Though what some of the type moon fans are hoping is that there is an anime prooject for Fate Hollow Ataraxia as well an anime project for Melty Blood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Why weren't people making such a fuss about the Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray sets when they came out? Total was three time the amount of sinners price. Is it because of the English subtitles?? I really don't think the price (in this case) is something to complain about. It could have been much much worse. Localization is something I'd be mad about before import price.

I think its a safe bet to say that Type Moon fans are some of the most bitter in the entire medium. You don't see Clannad fans going bugshit because Japan has an English subtitled $600 Blu-ray box. Most of them don't even know it exists.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I am way more proud of my tiny little 'Anime Legends' $30 clamshell box sets than I am of anything big, fancy, and limited edition in my collection. They play every bit as well in any given DVD player as their over-priced collector's edition counterparts do, and for the price of one collector's edition box I could have half a dozen completed series on my shelves. That, to me, is something to brag about.

That's exactly the way I feel, too. I mean, when I think about a sum like $400, that's at least ten full thinpack-release series I could buy, maybe even more if I wait for the right sale. (That's not even mentioning other entertainment purchases like games, of course.) Given the choice between quality and quantity, I'll take quantity every day, since it means I'll have that much more to watch when I'm in the mood to revisit an old favorite. Unless these movies are the absolute pinnacle of the entire history of anime, which I highly doubt, there are far better things I could spend my money on.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Dude, its not even like the quality of this set is amazing or something. You called it in one of your earlier posts. Its [expletive] dipped cardboard, glue, felt (that's now fingerprint covered...) silver embossed lettering, and glossy picture paper. Mine turned out to be defective and has developed a huge arch in cover. Still waiting on the replacement info...

It's imports over domestics. Do you want to be a patron and invest in this title to ensure that ufotable makes more works like this in the future, or be patient and wait until a less expensive set is localized? No quality and quantity because we all know if FUNi really wanted to focus on the collectors aspect they could print stuff like this all day long and charge less than half the price. Paper and encoded plastic, thats all this anime collecting stuff is.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
@Nagisa: I get that reasoning and all...but, I mean...isn't it still nice to have the...well, nice sets on your shelf too?

I mean, let's say you can get the entire second season of GITS in an anime legends pack for...I dunno, $30. And, for the heck of it, you find the ENTIRE Limited Edition set in the tin box at a local FYE for about...$35. Would you go for it, or stick with the anime legends one? The price difference is really a fraction...

Don't get me wrong, I do have some nice things on my shelf. On rare occasion, I will spring for the fancier set of a series I really, really enjoy. I picked up the fancy Twelve Kingdoms boxes, ADV's ultra-pretty re-release of the original Macross, and those epic metal case Black Lagoon sets because those were series that I respected enough to want to have the better set. I didn't go loco and get the whole, big, metal tin release Pioneer did for AKIRA, but I did get the two-disc release in the cardboard sleeve (above the regular edition, but not quite the 'definitive' version, either). And my absolute, all-time, bar none, top of the pops, cream of the crop, above and beyond, without a shadow of a doubt favorite anime ever, Haibane Renmei? Oh yeah. I got the fancy box.

I also started getting the special edition volumes of Haruhi, the ones that come with a CD each and all fit in that bizarre magnetic puzzle box the first volume's packaged in. That, however, was mainly due to the fact that the special editions have a second disc each with the series in proper broadcast order as opposed to chronological order, and the broadcast order had a better narrative flow. Speaking of, I really should finish that one off at some point (buying, not watching).

Granted, most of the collector's editions I have were also on sale. It's as you say, if there's only like a five or ten dollar price difference, I'll splurge a little. But when it's a matter of $200+ versus say, $45, there is no way in hell I'm trading up when I could get close to seven complete-series thinpacks for that price. I think the only time I ever went all the way and got a really expensive limited edition set at full price was when they did that 100,000-copy Zeta Gundam set, making it sound like that was the only American release the series was ever going to get. Then the two-disc economy volumes came out and I felt like an ass (Zeta Gundam wasn't exactly a series worth $200 once I finally got the set and watched it all...).

luffypirate85 wrote:
I think its a safe bet to say that Type Moon fans are some of the most bitter in the entire medium. You don't see Clannad fans going bugshit because Japan has an English subtitled $600 Blu-ray box. Most of them don't even know it exists.

Fans of Key's works can also pick up the full anime adaptations on DVD for only around $45 a pop (Clannad full series is $47 and change on Amazon). Maybe not Blu-Ray, but it's still readily available at a perfectly reasonable price. Also most of the Key anime were, y'know, good. After the awful, excrutiating disappointments that were Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Fate/stay night, having the one good Type-Moon anime adaptation to come out thus far be so decidedly out of reach for a good percentage of the fanbase is like the worst kick in the crotch.

So yeah, bitter. Just a bit. Not gonna hide it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Man, I wish I didn't know that they existed. I've been drooling over the Kanon BD set for a while. Now that the Kara no Kyoukai set is either sold-out, or selling for over $700, I'm now agonizing over whether it's worth it to just take the money I was saving for KnK and splurge on either the Clannad sets or the Air set. I own the DVDs, but pretty import blu-rays...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Man, I wish I didn't know that they existed. I've been drooling over the Kanon BD set for a while. Now that the Kara no Kyoukai set is either sold-out, or selling for over $700, I'm now agonizing over whether it's worth it to just take the money I was saving for KnK and splurge on either the Clannad sets or the Air set. I own the DVDs, but pretty import blu-rays...

From what I heard the Air BD's look like garbage. Some fansub group took the BD's and cleaned them up a bit so they are watchable. From what I've seen with what this group did, it doesn't look so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Didn't I tell you that a while ago? I so told you that. Maybe not you specifically, but the message was there!

...Oh, don't get me wrong. >_> I'm not one of them. For example, if this huge mess was over, say something else I really dug, like I dunno, Durarara or Moribito or the Eva movies? Yeah, I'd be pissed all the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7