• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
After watching two episodes of Valvrave I have concluded that it's absolutely ridiculous and completely over the top and I'm loving every second of it. I mean come on, the main characterspoiler[ turned into a body switching space vampire and the robot commits harakiri when it reaches 666 so it can turn into a super robot]... it's totally out there and friggin' awesome if you ask me.

I can't wait to see what kind of ridiculous stuff they come up with in future episodes.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say I loved the randomness. Oh you were expecting a mecha show? Nope lets add in vampiric powers. Also I don't blame him for opting out of the spoiler[confession]. The same thing happened in Madoka when spoiler[ Sayaka gave up on her love because she found about the truth of her body.]
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
Ep 2 wasn't as unintentionally funny as episode 1 was but it was still plenty ridiculous. The body swapping and the angry guy of the generic evil bishonen squad getting shot in the eye and acting angry and evil was hilarious.

What I didn't find funny. spoiler[Was bringing back Shoko after just 1 ep. Sure it was pretty obvious she wasn't going to die] but that was just incredibly bad writing, and not in a funny way like the rest of the show.

However I will give them the benefit of the doubt since yet again the ending of the episode was the best part of it.

"I'm an inhuman freak, no one can ever love me!"(even though it looks like black haired chick wants some space vampire love) Guess if their going to have space vampires might as well go all the way and throw in some Twilight too Laughing

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. Even though some of us saw that twist coming, it's still a major spoiler at this point. - Key]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Ep 2 wasn't as unintentionally funny as episode 1 was but it was still plenty ridiculous. The body swapping and the angry guy of the generic evil bishonen squad getting shot in the eye and acting angry and evil was hilarious.

What I didn't find funny. spoiler[Was bringing back Shoko after just 1 ep. Sure it was pretty obvious she wasn't going to die] but that was just incredibly bad writing, and not in a funny way like the rest of the show.

I believe that you can question the event from a purely technical writing perspective, since this definitely isn't good form, but I actually did find it quite intentionally funny. Most of the audience was already expecting that something fishy was going on there, no matter what, so the show merely took advantage of this fact in a different way.

By extension, I don't believe for a minute that the show is being "unintentional" about its goofy yet melodramatic nature. Episode two plays that up too much in multiple ways for anyone to conclude it's somehow accidental, starting with the voice acting (ERUELF!). This isn't merely a case of more or less bad writing, it would require thinking that the entire staff is made up of blind idiots with no sense of humor.

Quote:

"I'm an inhuman freak, no one can ever love me!"(even though it looks like black haired chick wants some space vampire love) Guess if their going to have space vampires might as well go all the way and throw in some Twilight too Laughing

Hey, even Twilight didn't invent this particular scenario. Laughing That sort of situation has been around for decades.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I would love to be convinced things are intentional, but I remember having this same conversation about Guilty Crown's creative staff, and then we saw an ANN interview with them that gave the impression they had no idea.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Rule Number 1 of Sunrise Anime:
spoiler[ If you don't see the body, they ain't dead. ]
See Kira Yamato from GSD for instance. (Yes, he's the perfect example of the rule.)
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I would love to be convinced things are intentional, but I remember having this same conversation about Guilty Crown's creative staff, and then we saw an ANN interview with them that gave the impression they had no idea.

Actually, that interview wasn't with the creative staff but with the Producers (capital "P") behind the project.

Even without that interview, which was clearly far too pretentious for its own good, Guilty Crown itself gave off an air of overwhelming seriousness as early as its first two episodes. In a way, it was closer to the atmosphere of Attack on Titan (which is by the same director) than the one in Valvrave so far. Even the unrealistic events were more straight-faced.

This show isn't very good, of course, but I don't get that sort of sensation from it.
Kastel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Why is this anime created?

Because ERU ERUFU.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
EP 3

We all knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to happen in this episode, spoiler[ the partnership of L-elf and Haruto. L-elf wants to create a revolution in Dorssia.]. L-elf sure kept his nickname of One man army in this episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Probably because of his unique ability to spoiler[pull explosives out of his ass. It's nice to see crappy folding chair technology hasn't advanced much in the future.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
spoiler["Contract"?]

I wonder what that means. I'm getting this mysterious feeling now that L-elf knows more than he's letting on. I'm very curious on his origins and where he came from as well as his history.

In a more comedic tone, lol @ the fan service this episode. SUNRISE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote
If not obvious enough it became pretty clear that the nations are set up as thus.
Dorssia: space Nazis/Soviets, they are super fascists.
ARUS: space Americs, generally good, described as "world police". possibly manipulative in bids to look good.
JOIR: space Japan, they are totally neutral and peaceful, apparently very productive despite being miniscule to compared to the other two.
Why does this almost feel like a prequel to Muv Luv?

Anyway I am finding it increasingly interesting that this show has had a very high school life feel to it, but has seemed to stop itself from falling into the pitfalls of being what we would expect from school life. It has focused on the story instead of high school hijinks. And they totally said vampire too. I do find it kind of humorous that the main character doing a small comment on a chat room would become such big news. I did find his school mates being like that kind of cool, normally in these things the lead keeps it a secret.

So L-Elf wants to spoiler[team up? I don't see why he should when he would kill that one kid at the doorway like that]. Also did that guy make spoiler[graves]?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
So Haruto is a hero now.
It was naive of him to think that they're safe now.
His spoiler[body was obviously changed by the mecha experience.
Haruto became crazy popular.]

That may sound great, but it's a double edged blade.
spoiler[L-Elf] is a truly scary and extremely capable guy.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Can someone clearly explain what in the hell happened in this episode? I feel like I missed an episode or 2 and that not much was explained at all, as if just random events are occurring and I have no idea why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Haruto's mecha goes Saiyan at 666. L-Elf's plan is "D7" and his former comrades reference "Module 77." Good guys: 666. Bad guys: 777. This show is Satanic and I'm going to immediately...go back to watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 32