• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: KyoAni's Free! Swimming Anime Already Has Its Own Dōjinshi Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
cannot exist.
And to recover from one misandry-related faux pas he makes a misandric statement. I wonder if his blatant refusal to admit the female brain works in the same exact way as the male one can be read to be misogynistic on top...

You are wrongly interpreting him.Yes some women hate men,that is undeniable,however it seems sociologists these only define sexism and racism based on unprivileged and privileged groups.For example,racism against white people is impossible since white people are institutionally privileged group,it is the same with sexism.Though really Chagen46 is not a sociologist,so he should stop using this definition in his own way.It is quite irritating actually.

Uhh...so you are saying sociologists are wrong?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uhh...so you are saying sociologists are wrong?

Nah,its just that you have anthropologists,sociologists and even UN defining racism differently.I can just see our forum getting engulfed with flames with discussion of whose definition is more right,whilst none are actually scientists,anthropologists or sociologists,so I was just irritated to see the beginning of it all.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
You are wrongly interpreting him.Yes some women hate men,that is undeniable,however it seems sociologists these only define sexism and racism based on unprivileged and privileged groups.For example,racism against white people is impossible since white people are institutionally privileged group,it is the same with sexism.Though really Chagen46 is not a sociologist,so he should stop using this definition in his own way.It is quite irritating actually.
My post was purely pointing out his assertion that heavily institutionalized misandry was impossible was incorrect(there was(is?) an African tribe where the men were the domestics(including breastfeeding!), so even heavy biological biases on human behavior can be overcome), even if one grants the idiotic, clarity-hating definitions you mention.
Quote:
Nah,its just that you have anthropologists,sociologists and even UN defining racism differently.I can just see our forum getting engulfed with flames with discussion of whose definition is more right,whilst none are actually scientists,anthropologists or sociologists,so I was just irritated to see the beginning of it all.
I think most people would agree with the idea that bigotry is a personal affair which can take on an institutional character and not something that requires institutionalization to exist.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
It has nothing to do with the idea that women cannot be prejudiced against men--they can--and everything to do with the idea of the effect any such prejudice would have. Which is pretty much zip, except for your hurt feelings.

In other words, we can talk about misandry when women are in a higher place of sociological power than men, and can impact their lives negatively with the force of that hatred on a societal level.

>_> is assaulting/killing them impact enough for you? People like Andy Warhol kind of had more done to him than just his feelings hurt x_x He almost died because of an attack on his life by a misandrist
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

>_> is assaulting/killing them impact enough for you? People like Andy Warhol kind of had more done to him than just his feelings hurt x_x He almost died because of an attack on his life by a misandrist

[citation needed]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Solanas

I'm not reading anymore into this but you wanted a source/citation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

[citation needed]

Yeah, she was a paranoid schizophrenic and trying to claim she was a "misandrist" is nuts.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

[citation needed]

Yeah, she was a paranoid schizophrenic and trying to claim she was a "misandrist" is nuts.

I just finishing reading it yeah.. she had a lot, I do mean a lot of mental health issues because of her past. No I do not find her to be a man hating feminist, just a woman no a person that was in need of mental health care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Xorasor wrote:
The heck does his age have to do with anything, unless you're setting up for an ad-hominem?

Age defines your outlook on the world. Discussing politics with a middle schooler or high schooler who isn't even old enough to vote is pointless. They have not experienced the world enough and can only look at black or white absolutes. It's clear Chagen has not really stepped into the real world yet. I really don't like arguing with kids over these kinds of subjects. As it stands right now, I refuse to discuss anything with a kid who dismisses all my opinions by saying I'm just a helpless girl brainwashed by the patriarchy who needs a big strong man like him to help set me straight because women can't think for themselves. From what I've seen of him he's been far more patronizing and sexist than any of the people he's been complaining about whether he's aware of it or not.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

She created the SCUM Manifesto, Society for Cutting Up Men, who pushed for society to gendercide all men and you're saying that's not misandry Confused You're a real apologetic person for someone who wants you murdered.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She created the SCUM Manifesto, Society for Cutting Up Men, who pushed for society to gendercide all men and you're saying that's not misandry Confused You're a real apologetic person for someone who wants you murdered.

No, he's just well-aware that she's a complete nutter and would've found SOME bullshit reason to do insane things no matter what.

A psychotic hatred of men was merely her excuse for comitting/wanting to commit violent acts. She wasn't a "misandrist"--that requires an active hatred of men while being in a right state of mind. She was just bonkers.

Quote:
As it stands right now, I refuse to discuss anything with a kid who dismisses all my opinions by saying I'm just a helpless girl brainwashed by the patriarchy who needs a big strong man like him to help set me straight because women can't think for themselves.

When the hell did I ever say that

WHEN
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Yeah, thats not misandry in the sense that we're discussing. I mean yes technically it is by the strict definition of the word (though its only arguably a real word), there is no widespread cultural support for it, like there is for misogyny.

ALSO SHE WAS INSANE. IT WAS CALLED THE SCUM MANIFESTO.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
From what I've seen of him he's been far more patronizing and sexist than any of the people he's been complaining about whether he's aware of it or not.

This.
Chagen, you're astoundingly sexist. Shut the hell up.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:The_Most_Common_Misogynistic_Tactics#You.27re_Just_A_Sexist_White_Knight_.28Only_for_Male_Feminists.29

If you actually believe that...wow.

Not once have I said anything that implicates me as sexist.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Let me ask for some clarification here: did you write that article?
Edit: Ah, you did. Wow, that's... really something.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Not once have I said anything that implicates me as sexist.
And this is why you don't argue with teenagers: they're right and there's no way you aren't wrong; what's the point in entertaining the possibility of proof?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6