• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how parts of this thread turned in to a discussion about Sega but you may notice that part is now missing. Let's keep this on topic people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
_V_ wrote:
3 - Most importantly, FUNimation no longer has the protective cushion of Navarre anymore; Navarre isn't going to be there to keep pumping money into them.

4 - will the new investors continue to pump money into FUNimation, or are they on their own now?

Source please. There has never been anything in their quarterly reports to suggest this is the case; in fact, at times it might have been the opposite, with Funi cashflow keeping other parts of Navarre going.

As far as I knew that had been the case for a while. Maybe you Justin can find exact numbers but I could swear I've seen reports here and elsehwere that basically stated Funimation was the only thing making Navarre money. That Navarre continued to struggle but Funimation continued, even given the anime decline, to make money and be profitable. I could also swear I saw an article here once stating along the lines of Navarre taking money from Funi to keep themselves floating along. Regardless I am sure I've seen numerous articles here before basically stating Funi was making Navarre money and Navarre was relying on them and not the other way around. I"m personally surprised they would sell Funi given that but maybe they needed a big cash influx. Regardless the good news is now HOPEFULLY Funimation won't have to kick any money they make up a parent company but can keep it all. If that is the case now and they stay profitable and keep making money hopefully that will mean that they can get more titles and big name ones at that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
I'm not quite understanding. So basically, Funimation is its own parent company now?

It seems that way. The good thing is that Gen is the major owner of Funi and not some crappy nobody that would make it as extinct as Geneon and Central Park Media. That is at least a relief

But i still dont get that why in the holy high hell would Navaree would do this?

Especially since i've been reading news about funi's quarterly earnings that have profits? If they were losses , then I would understand,but not the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
I'm not quite understanding. So basically, Funimation is its own parent company now?

It seems that way. The good thing is that Gen is the major owner of Funi and not some crappy nobody that would make it as extinct as Geneon and Central Park Media. That is at least a relief

But i still don't get that why in the holy high hell would Navaree would do this?
Navarre has got to retool in their core business, or else fade slowly away to oblivion. Retooling their core business takes money.

Selling a presently profitable non-core subsidiary is a lot more likely to get cash up front, especially since its fairly speculative what kind of profits Funimation is going to get from one year to the next. The more cash they put into their retooling, the easier it is going to be to finance the balance.

That's also why the quit price that Gen and Friends bought it for is reputed to be about what its worth on a fair reckoning ~ Navarre had no incentive to sell it for less than it could raise by borrowing against its prospective future profits. However, there would be a discount there due to the volatility of earnings in the business Funimation is in, and selling at a fair price removes that uncertainty and replaces it with cash in hand.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Gen Fukunaga is just a minority stakeholder.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Gen Fukunaga is just a minority stakeholder.
So, we know that he holds a less than 50% stake. We have no information, however, how big his stake is compared to the stake of his other partner ~ whether he hold the largest stake, the smallest stake, or somewhere in between is purely guesswork.

He does, however, clearly continue to the company. If the other investors were uninterested in investing in his vision of where to take the company, it seems highly unlikely they would have joined in support of his bid for the company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6