• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can You Name These 12 Anime from the 2000s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Got 'em all, though I admit I had to guess at one. I'm not surprised that people don't know Louie or Maid-tai as those shows were never all that well known. How the world did so many people not know Mahoro or Meia and their respective series? Those were iconic series in their time.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm only 22 and yet I now feel so old. I remember when these were hot new releases and being talked about in Anime Insider.

God. Remember Anime Insider?

Sure do. Loved it. Also loved Animerica and Protoculture Addicts. Those were the days. When print media was still relevant enough to warrant multiple anime magazines. Always loved the April Fool's day specials.

Was a regular reader of Animerica and Protoculture Addicts but completely missed the Anime Insider and Newtype USA era.

Went right to Otaku USA print edition until comic shops stopped carrying it. Now I just buy the occasional remaindered issue or the digital edition.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Is it worse that people don't know what Rune Hunter Louie is or that people thought it was a Slayers series?
Well, it was a sword&sorcery/fantasy comedy series also made by JC Staff, and came out less than three years after the most recent Slayers entry (Slayers Gorgeous), so some of the confusion is understandable.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
@fuuma_monou

The print edition of Otaku USA is still available by subscription. It is likely still carried by Barnes & Noble though I haven't looked lately.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought that a quiz about anime from the 2000's might actually include shows from 2006-2009? These all looked like they came from 2001-2005. No Black Lagoon, Claymore, Dennou Coil, Nodame, etc., etc. And even from the earlier period, where were shows like Monster or Juuni Kokuki or Abenobashi or even Chobits? The range of examples seemed pretty narrow to me.

I only knew shows like Getbackers because we watched ADV's Anime Network service back in the day. If these shows were distributed today, I probably wouldn't watch them now either with the exception of Hikaru.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@fuuma_monou

The print edition of Otaku USA is still available by subscription. It is likely still carried by Barnes & Noble though I haven't looked lately.

Tried subscribing. Had to cancel since someone in the postal system was stealing the magazines.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Am I the only one who thought that a quiz about anime from the 2000's might actually include shows from 2006-2009? These all looked like they came from 2001-2005.
Not quite true: Vandread started in 2000 Razz (Though that screenshot could've been from the 2001 2nd Stage season.) But yeah, I agree, though maybe they were going for more challenge by testing people's knowledge of ANN's Most Hated Era of anime, i.e. the early 00s.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...maybe they were going for more challenge by testing people's knowledge of ANN's Most Hated Era of anime, i.e. the early 00s.

Strange, I thought that title belonged to the anime eras past 2005, since that's where I see some people express umbrage towards shows from that time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Strange, I thought that title belonged to the anime eras past 2005, since that's where I see some people express umbrage towards shows from that time.

Oo, right in the big fat expansion of the Bubble Era? Now that would be an insane challenge. Cool
It was hard enough to find anything (legitimately released) to watch, let alone anything we'd remember eight to ten years later.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
Ai Yori Aoshi" and "Oh! My Goddess!" might be the anime that has the strongest portrayal the yamato nadeshiko trope. Aoi-chan's devotion to Kaoru separates her from a lot of other harem female leads and Kaoru doesn't act like a lot of the usual harem leads (excessively clumsy, indecisive on which girl, etc.).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
...maybe they were going for more challenge by testing people's knowledge of ANN's Most Hated Era of anime, i.e. the early 00s.

I was thinking more of the prevailing critical opinions, rather than user ratings. After all, many reviews, features, podcasts etc. can't help harping on the "awful early digipaint animation" whenever a show from that era is brought up. It's even reached the point where shows like Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (1998) that weren't even early 00s anime get tarred with the same brush by those who wish to criticize their artistic quality.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's even reached the point where shows like Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (1998) that weren't even early 00s anime get tarred with the same brush by those who wish to criticize their artistic quality.

I think that has more to do with the fact that eras really don't have rigid cut-off points, e.g. something from '99 isn't going to look that much different from something from 2000, or differ as much in terms of animation/artistic techniques. Interstella 5555 doesn't look much different than Queen Emeraldas.

In any case, I got 9 out of 12. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6