• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CDJapan: Avex Pictures Restricts Overseas BD, DVD, CD Shipments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theshillito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
just so it's clear that it's not just CDJapan, Amazon JP is apparently cancelling orders for Avex stuff, so not even honouring orders already placed like CDJapan :<
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
how totally demented. it is obvious that anyone who goes through the bother to order something in Japanese would buy the localized version AS WELL when it comes out.
I really hate this anal attitude.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
Yuri!!! on Ice and Mr. Osomatsu seem to the big TV anime successes if this decade, so i get why they want to "control" the product. So far so good. But will these really make big money on the US Blu-ray and especially CD scene in the officially licensed form Confused ?
"Figures and other character goods" are still OK though. I really don´t get the logic here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ergzay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Before anyone complains about this, you should feel lucky that the folks in Japan even share their work with the rest of the world. Not that the titles mentioned are soul crushing or anything. Just a reminder.

Completely wrong attitude. We are paying for their product. They're not "sharing" it with us. They should feel lucky that foreign fans are actually buying their product. We're under no obligation to buy it. They're under obligation to continue production if they want to stay in business.

And as to the topic at hand. This is exactly how you create rampant piracy. If you restrict supply then people will just get it some other way. If I can't buy it then I will pirate it (not these specific shows, but talking about the concept in general).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
While they are well within their rights to do this, I say it is stupid to put it nicely. Closing off more legit import sites means they are almost asking for piracy to happen. vb
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Part of me speculates this may have more to do with how Oricon publishes its chart results than anything else. I suspect that other companies have different mechanisms in place to weed out domestic vs international sales.

This is not the first time AVEX has done this. A few years back they yanked everything off iTuens outside of Japan. I use to buy a lot of Ayumi Hamasaki CDs via iTunes in the states while on vacation of temporary reassignment for work till one day AVEX yanked everything off the US iTuens store. Luckily, a few weeks later, I was sent back to Osaka again (I spent 9-10 months a year residing in Japan for the better part of the past thirty plus years) so it didn't impact me all too bad since I just switched back to my iTuens.JP account.

But, this should also be a reminder that Japanese companies always put themselves first and the international markets as a distant second or even third in priorities. And considering the Japanese utter fear of piracy, I'm astonished than any company in Japan ever went along with simulcasts.

I really do not see BD sales having much to do with piracy unless we're talking about special one off OAV episodes. Even with the simulcasts, and anime that aired last night will be on the streams and often times fan-subbed within six hours; and I am not even talking about a Funimation simulcast being ripped and streamed, but physically an ATX or a MBS broadcast here.

That aside, IMHO, it feels more like more of the same paranoia from AVEX that they have always shown, and don't expect it to change in my remaining few years.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
Will this include digital dowloads like the YOI soundtracks in Itunes? This is saddening now specially how YOI and specially Osomatsu san ate popular overseas, maybe it's because of the bootleg products from China? I just wish that future anime titles dont fall on Avex.
Beltane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
Sakuga Blog has written an article on this. According to the writer, this move by Avex mainly has to do with their music-related products, and anime got caught in the crossfire as a result.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/02/14/avex-pictures-and-music-import-restrictions/
Proud2bPnoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
But why? ...

Do they have anything against the western fans(or the universe)? why are they pulling weird shz like Avex Against Humanity does it have anything to do with Abe shaking hands with Trumph and receiving distress signals? clarification still nah? These conspiracy theories are just theories unless Avex justifies it. They will kill Avex-Jpop and One Piece... what the actual trashcan Avex.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Will this include digital dowloads like the YOI soundtracks in Itunes? This is saddening now specially how YOI and specially Osomatsu san ate popular overseas, maybe it's because of the bootleg products from China? I just wish that future anime titles dont fall on Avex.

I assume the digital downloads available now on iTunes/Spotify are there BECAUSE Avex specifically approved and made them available to an international market like the US iTunes store. It's not the same as CDJapan or Amazon JP allowing international customers to import a product from their online store. And if, as many are suggesting, this really is more about music sales than anime and other miscellaneous items, then keeping the digital access in places like iTunes/Spotify would be exactly what Avex wants.

I haven't yet experienced an indication of Amazon JP canceling orders but I guess I'll know in about 9 days when Yuri on Ice vol3's out... (I got the CD and the first two DVDs just fine in Dec/Jan.)
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
But the point is, There has to be a way to make J-Pop know internationally like they did it with K-pop, right? But how?
meganinja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
But the point is, There has to be a way to make J-Pop know internationally like they did it with K-pop, right? But how?

They are doing a international offices on USA to deal about it
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
how totally demented. it is obvious that anyone who goes through the bother to order something in Japanese would buy the localized version AS WELL when it comes out.

I'm not sure that's true. I'd naturally assume the opposite is more likely. If you have the more legitimate original release from the country that produced it, which cost you more money and effort, what's the attraction in owning the local version? You're promoting the licensor, I suppose, and there are valuable things they can provide even if you don't care about localised releases, like arranging guests, events, conventions, theatrical screenings of anime movies, etc.

There are series where I own the Japanese and local (or, more commonly, American) versions, but it's really only English-language manga where I feel having a localised version of what I already own would be worthwhile. Unless the licensor put together a release that was particularly attractive, that is.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

This has been discussed many times in the forums. Surprised our K-Pop fan hasn't been talking aready.

If you want J-Pop to be as popular as K-Pop, then you need to break the Japanese Talent Agencies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6