• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold's Macross, Mospeada, Southern Cross Licenses Still Expire in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Nothing new to report, but for those who wonder where Battletech comes into play in this never ending trolling of Harmony Gold. Read this, this is about the images that was originally purchased through a modeling company which had the mix of anime images that became Mechs in the Battletech Universe.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So for the record, Harmony Gold just opposed today Big West claim for Macross in Europe on ground of "unfair competition" just two days before Big West claim was validated.

Guess we'll see how that goes from there...

-Sergorn
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Nothing new to report, but for those who wonder where Battletech comes into play in this never ending trolling of Harmony Gold. Read this, this is about the images that was originally purchased through a modeling company which had the mix of anime images that became Mechs in the Battletech Universe.

Confused Hmm, for the looks of it it is seems that in some way it is the company of Battletech own fault in some way because had they not took those designs they might not have been sued. I'm amazed that the Japanese animation studios of those mech shows didn't sue them of taking there designs other than Harmony Gold.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
macloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
A bit late but i thought this might be interest

According to the UK intellectual property offices registry the current UK patent for Macross formally expires on the 30th of July 2019

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00002204547
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
This article appears to vindicate Harmony Gold. They are not the evil Ogre that stole Macross from the Japanese. Just looks like everything went to hell in Japan, and then it became everyone for themselves. Not that this will stop the entrenched hate for Harmony Gold.

We will see what 2021 brings, though we know it won't be a US manned mission into space. We will have to live vicariously through Macross for that.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been saying that for years but people keep on focusing on "Harmony Gold is evil!" instead of bothering to look into the situation in Japan!

The Macross claims issue is really between Tatsunoko and Big West. HG pays Tatsunoko the rights to use the footage for Robotech BUT Tatsunoko controls international distribution for Macross (which it co-founded and provided production assistance on) as well as the two shows it owns outright, Southern Cross and Mospeada.

What is so difficult for people to understand about that?!?

HG will likely lose the animation footage in 2021 unless they renew.
That STILL won't change the international situation for the original Macross TV series. Tatsunoko will STILL claim and control the distribution of the original SDF Macross outside of Japan -- the Japanese courts clarified that. Anybody that wants the original Macross will have to go through Tatsunoko if HG doesn't re-up on the rights. The reason why ADV and AnimEigo went through HG for their releases of Macross on home video was because HG was acting as the US agents/reps for Tatsunoko since they had Macross under license at that time (circa 1998-2000, renewed 2002/2003 according to the article).

I think Tatsunoko would STILL like a resolution that involves relicensing the footage for Robotech since that's how Mospeada and Southern Cross were exposed to more people and that's how they made money off those series because they sure weren't that successful in Japan!

Again, half the crap that gets said about Macross by fandom is said in pure ignorance and people are NOT reading what was ruled in court about 20 years ago!!!! People just "feel" things and they have this mistaken belief that their feelings reflect objective fact and that's just not the reality of the situation.

And, FYI, half the Macross sequel series STINK. Macross 7 is a colossal joke, and Delta's even worse if you can believe that! Mac 7 wasn't licensed for music clearance issues. That was probably a good thing in the long run -- the series is utterly ridiculous! A guy controlling a VF-19 with his guitar?!?! Are you kidding me?!?
The only truly good sequels I've seen are Macross Plus (which might as well exist in another universe!), Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier (from what little I've seen).
The Gundam scene is a lot more pleasant and the original Gundam series has generally held up better than SDF Macross itself has!
Kawamori seems to get sidetracked by glomming onto the latest trends or trying to develop trends to reinvigorate Macross and seems to have forgotten what it's about -- he suffers from Gene Roddenberryitis and puts in crap to sell records or idol figures and seems to neglect basic story and character development. The most memorable situations and characters are STILL from the original SDF Macross, NOT any of the sequels!!!
I barely got through the first episode of Macross 7 recently after catching it for the first time in over 20 years and the series is even worse than I remember demonstrating Macross Delta wasn't a fluke! Macross II for all its melodrama was a better series than either Mac Delta or Mac 7 which were utterly ridiculous musical or idol series. They did a better job handling Minmay in the original Macross as a main character but not the whole freaking point or central plot point of the entire series!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6