• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I wonder what images of America Japanese anime viewers take away from a show like Baccano!
And, of course, we have the "Mr. Hibbit" shorts where the African-American astronaut appears as "Buddy Gorilla."

What? I thought only the British obsess over "America = NASA Astronaut Land", where every industry feeds NASA technology, and every average citizen goes around telling foreigners, "Say, have you ever heard the story yet of how we landed on the moon?"!

Okay, so maybe the Japanese obsess over the stereotype too.
But, like "Space Dandy", at least they know we're using it to export those Hooters restaurants we have on every corner, next the KFC's.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's a good show, and definitely not mean-spirited in its portrayals of different ethnicities and US cultures, but it does have a lot of stereotypes(I haven't gotten to the monkey thing, but just the image makes me cringe).

This kind of thing has been a massive problem in Japanese culture for a long while. However, there have been some recent shows that have shown African-descended characters in a better light. Sword Art Online was very positive with that with the character Agil, and I give the show a lot of credit for going out of its way to have such a positive example, even if he was a relatively minor character (all the men other than Kirito are, for obvious reasons.) There have been some others in recent times, but unfortunately the heavily stereotyped black character is still a part of anime. So yea, I don't think the Japanese reader can really claim that America is much worse when it comes to stereotypes from media.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, can understand that was the case years ago. I mean even today there are people that garner assumptions based on word of mouth or someone's perception. But in this day and age and with the advancement of social media there isn't much of an excuse. Because there are tons of vlogs, channels and sites that at least give people a "somewhat" concrete view of fantasy Japan and RL Japan. But the key to understanding is to gain multiple views. For example who is more knowledgeable of the country a person who lives there or a foreigner (regardless of race) who's lived there for years? It's easy to go with the native person because it's their experience as a native, but a foreigner can do just as well of a job if he's versed enough in a particular topic. But natives know more. And even their views can be deconstructed by someone who's a native. After awhile it all starts becoming subjective.

Anime can be a good learning tool, so long as you look things up.

Are their coffee vending machines in Japan (Anime vs RL) ? Yes.

When I watched that anime "Koi Kaze", I was curious about why one of the episodes was removed from the daily line up. When someone on ANN told why they removed it I was shocked. That divorce was a taboo subject but not so much "incest". I'm sure incest is, but Japan doesn't harp on it like it's viewed in the West. But I didn't assume that Japan just ignores incest. But then again I don't know how they handle issues like that. But I've heard about the divorce issue. Then started hearing about Japan being one country that had issues with divorces, that they dubbed "The Narita..." Basically it's how fast things turned out. But if I went around stating to people that I'd be looked at as ignorant. Provided they knew more on the issue than I did. Which is one reason you research why.

Another odd misconception were documentaries talking about Japan being a sexless country. Well, might be the case for the normal joes, but the "Red Light" district still thrives. But there's a YT'ber who addressed this situation and he stated that the problem was more about societal pressures that make things difficult for hooking up. But years before I'd hear Japanese women looking outside the country for love, and even today looking for relationships outside of the country. But the guy interviewed people and the street, and of those who responded stated that they were completely fine with the way things were. However they did wish things were a little better. But there are a small minority opting out of marriage. But as a person looking outside in, even I see a there is a problem but that's not something to be addressed in anime. And probably never will. The closest I've seen to something sociopolitical was from a live action film called 'Maid Droid'.

Whether the guy trying to put out his point is correct to some degree, he's just one voice as opposed to others who have a different POV. And these voices either work for the industry, or part of academia or politics and they have observed and have spoken on the problem in regards to declining birthrates. These voices are only scratching the surface to a bigger problem.

So here's a view that's opposite from what you see in anime. Where everything regarding slice of life is NOT a real reflection of RL Japan.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
^Considering how much anime and manga I've seen, even from the early-2000s like Koi Kaze, featured divorce and single parents as a subject, that's quite strange. Also, Asahi is one of the liberal media companies in Japan along with Mainichi. Yomiuri (Nittele) and Sankei (Fuji) are conservative. I'd assume a person or group arbitrarily convinced the network it wasn't right to air.

By "sexless country," obviously it's referring to the declining birth rate. Celibacy, voluntary and involuntary, is an issue everywhere. The Japanese media tends to be quite sensationalist about the little things, which can be picked up by the even more sensationalist Western media.

yuna49 wrote:
Well, considering the reception the "Buddy Gorilla" sequence got on this and other anime forums, if that was their intent, they failed miserably.

I don't think that was their intent though, since few anime are intended to be "Western audience-friendly." (Space Brothers wasn't "friendly" enough to get a dub.) I didn't read the manga to know if the Mr. Hibbit sequence appeared there as well, or whether it was added by A-1 Pictures. At one point I recall reading it was a four-koma strip added to the manga, but I can't seem to confirm that now.

The fact it didn't get a dub with said contention I recall was my point why it failed.

relyat08 wrote:
I'm currently watching Space Brothers(about 32 episodes in) and I don't see anything suggesting this was made for Western Audiences. It seems pretty directly targeted at Japanese kids who like space. It's a good show, and definitely not mean-spirited in its portrayals of different ethnicities and US cultures, but it does have a lot of stereotypes(I haven't gotten to the monkey thing, but just the image makes me cringe). Anyway, yeah, doesn't seem made for Westerners at all. And there are a lot of jokes about American culture that only Japanese people or people familiar with their culture would really get.

It's a seinen series, so you clearly don't know what you're talking about either if you say it was made for Japanese "kids."

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This kind of thing has been a massive problem in Japanese culture for a long while. However, there have been some recent shows that have shown African-descended characters in a better light. Sword Art Online was very positive with that with the character Agil, and I give the show a lot of credit for going out of its way to have such a positive example, even if he was a relatively minor character (all the men other than Kirito are, for obvious reasons.) There have been some others in recent times, but unfortunately the heavily stereotyped black character is still a part of anime. So yea, I don't think the Japanese reader can really claim that America is much worse when it comes to stereotypes from media.

Not really. Ever seen American animation blackface caricatures? Sure blacks characters in anime can seem a little exaggerated, especially when white ones look very similar to Japanese ones and even more than other East Asians, but what do you expect? A forced politically correct Marvel excuse for a comic?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

This kind of thing has been a massive problem in Japanese culture for a long while.

I always got a chuckle of how the only black character in the original AD Police / Bubblegum Crisis / Bubblegum Crash world happened to be a thick-lipped, over-sexualized drug dealer. But I can't rag on them too hard, after all they did have an openly gay male character who played quite a major role and who was cast in quite a good light.

I am not defending the use of racial, sexual, or cultural stereotypes, but I think that issue isn't limited to Japan in the slightest. I have seen plenty of the same in American TV, film, and animation too. And I can't think of an example of it being used in anime that's truly offensive, it all seems to be fairly lighthearted humor. They don't shy away from stereotyping their own culture either. I see just as much, if not more, stereotyping of their own culture in anime as I do foreign culture.

Last edited by Shiflan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, first of all, if anime depicted real life the majority of the Japanese population would be under 21! We need more anime about 70-115 year olds to be accurate. Very Happy

To paraphrase Justin:
"In some parts of the country it is possible for someone to live their whole life and never even meet a <minority>"
In America, you can get culture shock crossing state lines.
I had two big culture shocks when I left Brooklyn to go to school in Maryland:
1. Car Culture--if even a minor medical condition (or bad financial situation) keeps a person from driving, it's impossible to get anywhere efficiently, and it's incredibly limiting. Back then, I chose not to take driver's ed in high school because it was an extra class, and who could find parking in New York City, anyway? Razz It was a total shock that people outside New York can't even pick up a carton of milk unless they drive to a store (and, in many neighborhoods, it's considered dangerous to walk--especially if you're a woman, and especially at night. Drove me nuts, pun intended Very Happy)
2. Meeting people who have been American for generations. Growing up, virtually everyone I knew was, at most, 2nd generation American. In Maryland, I met a whole bunch of people who could trace their families back to the Civil War and further, and that gave me a new perspective on how many Americans perceive immigrants (and, sometimes, anybody from a "minority" group).
I imagine that many Americans feel the same culture shock when they visit New York--everyone taking the subways and every subway car has people who can trace their origins back to every continent. I don't think either is better or worse (although it pains me how disenfranchised non-drivers are in most places). Differences between Americans living in different states, and from different economic realities are not well portrayed in our media. So the fact that there are people in America who have never an [X]- hyphenated-American from one place or another doesn't surprise me, just like I've never met a miner or an oil driller (that I know of).
And in Europe...I went to a cousin's wedding in Belgium a few years ago. Most people I met there were familiar with at least 3 languages, sometimes fluent in all 3 (Flemish, French and English). We took a train from Antwerp to Paris for a day trip. I met some Japanese tourists at the Arc de Triumph and was able to practice some language skills (because, like a good otaku, I studied Japanese instead of practical Spanish or my father's native French Razz). It was awesome! Smile
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Car Culture

Yeah, that's a huge one! It's one of the major differences I noticed between life in the US vs. my extended family in Europe. Here in the states (where I live, anyway) everyone has a car. Very few of my European relatives have driver's licenses or own cars, so they either depend on public transportation or the few people who do drive end up playing chauffeur for the rest of the family.

It can be a problem too though. I have an uncle in Europe who drives, but the rest of his family does not. He is having medical issues right now that limit his ability to drive, so it's kind of screwed over his family because my aunt, cousins, nephews and nieces cannot get anywhere without him. They live in an area with limited public transportation, and my aunt refuses to use what little they do have.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

This kind of thing has been a massive problem in Japanese culture for a long while.

I always got a chuckle of how the only black character in the original AD Police / Bubblegum Crisis / Bubblegum Crash world happened to be a thick-lipped, over-sexualized drug dealer. But I can't rag on them too hard, after all they did have an openly gay male character who played quite a major role and who was cast in quite a good light.

I am not defending the use of racial, sexual, or cultural stereotypes, but I think that issue isn't limited to Japan in the slightest. I have seen plenty of the same in American TV, film, and animation too. And I can't think of an example of it being used in anime that's truly offensive, it all seems to be fairly lighthearted humor. They don't shy away from stereotyping their own culture either. I see just as much, if not more, stereotyping of their own culture in anime as I do foreign culture.

Battle Angel has the scary black guy cliche named Vector who I remember, he's the only black character and he's a nasty, ghoulish bad guy with yes exaggerated lips.
Counterpoint would be the coffee loving Captain on that Humanoid OVA.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I was born in Europe, but my parents and I immigrated to the US when I was 3 years old. We have lived there since (30+ years), due to my father's job. I have been back home to Europe many times and talked with relatives there, so I think I have a pretty good perspective on both sides of of the fence.

I live in Texas. When I was younger I have had European relatives ask me what kind of horse I ride and if I really carry a 6-shooter all the time. It turns out a lot of their perceptions of "Texas" were from Wild West movies filled with gunfights and cowboys. It's no different than the question Justin answered, really. People can't help but formulate an idea of a country based on the media they see and cultural stereotypes like yuna49 mentioned. And Japan does the same quite often.

All very true... But somehow people like to convince themselves that Americans are unique in that respect. Especially if they aren't American. Then they drag out the hoary old chestnut about passports, which proves more about their bias and lack of education than it does about America. (Sadly, many Americans are no more educated on why the differences exist than non-Americans are.)
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
I'm currently watching Space Brothers(about 32 episodes in) and I don't see anything suggesting this was made for Western Audiences. It seems pretty directly targeted at Japanese kids who like space. It's a good show, and definitely not mean-spirited in its portrayals of different ethnicities and US cultures, but it does have a lot of stereotypes(I haven't gotten to the monkey thing, but just the image makes me cringe). Anyway, yeah, doesn't seem made for Westerners at all. And there are a lot of jokes about American culture that only Japanese people or people familiar with their culture would really get.

It's a seinen series, so you clearly don't know what you're talking about either if you say it was made for Japanese "kids."

Ugh, you're always just super ripe for the most thoughtful conversation... Rolling Eyes
It's always, 'lets just disagree with everything everyone else says and look at things in the most simplistic manner while being as confrontational as possible'. Can you not, please?

Space Brothers aired in the middle of the day on weekends. It was a mainstream series, and had plenty of viewers from all age groups. The narrative is simplistic enough that it seems quite clear it was intended to be accessible to children/teens. Also notable is the inclusion of Japanese subtitles in the official OP and ED with furigana. Something that is pretty exclusive to shows aimed, at least in part, at teens and children.
If you think the target audience for something is entirely tied to the vague and archaic magazine demographic that it runs in, you have much to learn.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Was the person asking really Japanese? I don't know but I've got this feeling they were faking it to ask a question.

that much i highly doubt! but its unkown to say the least. however answerman could always ask miss mari (macross' VA) since she can speak in fluent english and is currently living in LA

Justin Sevakis wrote:
What's more, anime attracts a lot of teenagers. Teen years are rough for a lot of kids, and many spend their time daydreaming about being somewhere far away, doing something far more interesting than school. An anime or manga that might seem mundane by Japanese standards might seem glamorous and full of possibility to an American kid looking in from the outside. Anime and manga are, by their very nature, idealized versions of reality. For an unhappy American kid, they can be intoxicating. In their excitement about this far-off place, it's to be expected that they'll misunderstand certain things.

Even though i'm not american (was born in trinidad & tobago to be exact) both myself and my sister known that intoxicating feeling all too well. specifically ME!

as one who gets treated by everyone because i act "differently" and my mom would just excuse it as "because my son as autism" , it definitely can leave someone as if their alone in the world. luckily i had the 90's which was more or less the gateway to the world of being an otaku, and i took my sister along for the ride. and while attending in a NY HS, i choose to be in an anime club instead of doing any sports since most of those popular kids there were in local gangs.

so while it can get intoxicating and dont get you much "cool friends" , i say if you want to get indulged into the anime and manga, let alone the japannese experience, i say go for it. cause it was being an otaku that pretty much kept me from going to the dark side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
We could also ask "what are some assumptions the Japanese make about Westerners from watching Western-set anime?" Going with mafia titles like Baccano, I am curious what 91 Days has Japanese people thinking of 1930s America.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Space Brothers aired in the middle of the day on weekends. It was a mainstream series, and had plenty of viewers from all age groups. The narrative is simplistic enough that it seems quite clear it was intended to be accessible to children/teens. Also notable is the inclusion of Japanese subtitles in the official OP and ED with furigana. Something that is pretty exclusive to shows aimed, at least in part, at teens and children.
If you think the target audience for something is entirely tied to the vague and archaic magazine demographic that it runs in, you have much to learn.

The first season aired at 7:00 am on Sundays; it then moved to 5:30 pm Saturdays. Both of these are "family-friendly" as they say as is the use of furigana. I also recommend taking a look at the music video for "Feel So Moon." It's full of kids from ages one to twelve playing with their copies of the manga and a special artbook.

EricJ2 wrote:
I thought only the British obsess over "America = NASA Astronaut Land"
Okay, so maybe the Japanese obsess over the stereotype too.

Japan has a new rookie on the Ladies Professional Golf Tour. Her name is Hataoka Nasa. And, yes, her mother named Nasa after the space agency, "because she wanted her [daughter] to accomplish a lot and dream big."

Just this week JAXA announced that Kaguya-hime had returned home to the moon and discovered a giant cave underground which could house a base. The Agency intends to send Hibito-kun to the moon by 2030 as part of an international mission.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
The fact it didn't get a dub with said contention I recall was my point why it failed.
I think Space Brothers being a 99 episode show about astronaut training was the biggest reason it didn't get a dub. Still political correctness is creeping into anime and I am guessing fanservice shows are going to be a target in the near future. Granted the people who complain about fanservice shows don't buy them but they will try to shame the companies into no longer releasing them.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

yuna49 wrote:
The first season aired at 7:00 am on Sundays; it then moved to 5:30 pm Saturdays. Both of these are "family-friendly" as they say as is the use of furigana. I also recommend taking a look at the music video for "Feel So Moon." It's full of kids from ages one to twelve playing with their copies of the manga and a special artbook.

Japan is not obsessed is separating things for age groups or sexes.

Been "kodomo" "shonen" "seinen" "shoujo" "Josei" is more a guide line of target audience than a define line that separate audiences.

There are many cases were manga and anime that are for a target audience is well received by others.
And sometimes the target audience don't care about that manga/anime but because others love it, that anime/manga will continue.

Space Brothers started as a Seinen manga/anime but was so well received by the others that become a all ages show.

Crayon Shin-chan is also a Seinen manga/anime and still have a all ages audience.

Chrono1000 wrote:
I think Space Brothers being a 99 episode show about astronaut training was the biggest reason it didn't get a dub. Still political correctness is creeping into anime and I am guessing fanservice shows are going to be a target in the near future. Granted the people who complain about fanservice shows don't buy them but they will try to shame the companies into no longer releasing them.

Japan companies even mostly ignore domestic "grannies" that complain about anime.
Any show that have too much fanservice are put in a time schedule and have enough censor that make difficult for people to complain.
So It will be very difficult for fanservice shows to change because of a few western complains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8