• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - The Second Act

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RR529

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Kagome just basically taking the whole thing in stride also feels about right;

Kagome is supposed to be a human girl of our modern world, so lets just pretend that she is indeed that. That way we get rid of all those otherworldly excuses.

A mother gives birth to her baby girl, a few days later her baby girl is kidnapped from the hospital. The next time the mother sees her baby girl, she is practically a grown adult, and on top of that a stranger. How would that mother actually feel.

Kagome has lost so much. She will never be a mother to her daughter. Mother and daughter are strangers to each other. All the 'firsts' are gone forever. Really, if we were talking about actual real people, instead of anime characters, would we be really saying "the mother was taking it all in stride feels right". Shouldn't there be pathos, horror, anger, tragedy, unbelief, even thoughts of revenge/vengence for the wrongs done, along with relief, love, and welcome.

And yes, Kagome and Moroha can reconnect as mother and daughter, but that doesn't cure what was lost. But if you think about it, the way the writers have portrayed Moroha for the most of the series, she hasn't had much interest in her lost parents, even when meeting her mother's parents, and with the way the show goes, Moroha is not going to be settling down to spend time reconnecting with her parents anytime soon.

Sadly, I think for the writers, Inu Yashi and Kagome are just boxes to check and they didn't really want to write how a mother who loved her baby would actually feel in such a circumstance as they wrote. So instead they wrote a "yeah, were back together again after many long years, for a little bit"

I want to say that I agree with most of what you say, especially regarding Kagome (there's no reason she should have been so quick to handwave InuYasha's frustration with the situation), HOWEVER, when it comes to Moroha, at this point I don't think you can say she was never interested in her parents. She's like InuYasha in that she wears a mask to conceal her emotions (just other than that mask being a standoffish grump, it's more a fake smile). We learned earlier this season that she genuinely believed her parents dead instead of lost/missing (it's assumed this is the thought process of most of the other OG cast too, at least going by Hachi's recollection), she seemed to genuinely enjoy her time with the Higurashis (she's kept the Kappa foot Grandpa gave her) & her reluctance to talk about her parents with them could be because she didn't want to tell them that they "died", and her facade does crack whenever the conversation does turn to her being separated from her family or her parents' fate (she got mopey & sad in season one when the Twins didn't want to hang out with her, this season she fought back tears whenever Hachi "confirmed" her suspicions about her parents being dead, and she ultimately did break down in tears when she did meet them).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Man...what a beautiful family reunion. I cried twice. Everyone's reaction was absolutely in character and perfect. Couldn't ask for more. Anime cry

TarsTarkas wrote:

A mother gives birth to her baby girl, a few days later her baby girl is kidnapped from the hospital. The next time the mother sees her baby girl, she is practically a grown adult, and on top of that a stranger. How would that mother actually feel.

I see the point you're trying to make....but Moroha is 14. She has her entire life ahead of her and we've seen how lonely she is.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Man...what a beautiful family reunion. I cried twice. Everyone's reaction was absolutely in character and perfect. Couldn't ask for more. Anime cry

TarsTarkas wrote:

I see the point you're trying to make....but Moroha is 14. She has her entire life ahead of her and we've seen how lonely she is.

Any girl or boy who practically raises themselves, earns money from working, and fights/combat monsters and villains is like no 14 year old in America. Spilled milk cannot be put back in the bottle. I am not worried about Moroha anyway, she can take care of herself, she has been doing it for years now. It is little bit too late for the show to convince us Moroha somehow needs her parents now, when the show didn't really have her show much interest before.

The one I am worried about is Kagome, but hey, I shouldn't be because the show has decided to strip her of most emotions. One moment she has a newborn baby in her arms, the next moment she is standing in front of a teenage girl who is a stranger to her. If this was a Lifetime movie we would know what to expect, but the writers decided to go with cartoon logic for Kagome's actions. In some ways, I can see why the would, but I don't have to be happy about it. For me, when anime characters don't act like they are human beings, but they are portraying human beings, it kind of takes me out of the show.

Kind of like anime logic, where you can threaten to kill everyone you ever knew and actually attempt to follow through. But when you fail, it was the power of friendship and you are forgiven of all wrongs.
RR529

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that I'm totally surprised that they let InuKag out of the pearl with the girls. Totally thought they'd be left behind until some later point. Also glad to see the gang in general is probably getting back together soon, given that Sango & Miroku are getting ready to make their move as well (it seems they weren't looking for InuKag as they were entrusting that task to Shippo for some reason, who was mistaken in his Intel & thought Moroha was wealthy off her bounty hunter work, instead of in debt).

Anyhow next prediction. The OG gang saddles up to confront Kirinmaru & kicks his butt, only for him to pull a Naraku & weasel his way out of a fatal strike, running away (he'll probably manage to nab Akuru in the knick of time & escape to the future, and for whatever reason only the girls will be able to follow him).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
Its ever explained why Kirinmaru acted like a lobotomized chair during the first half?

He just won a personality in this cur and I still don't get where it came from.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I really feel sorry for Sesshy's mom. His father abandons her for a human, her son never comes to visit unless he needs something, and all she has left to do is sit on that throne for apparently eternity, watching a windmill that never turns. I don't think we've ever seen her anywhere else. She must be half out of her mind with boredom. No wonder she's so cranky.
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really feel sorry for Sesshy's mom. His father abandons her for a human, her son never comes to visit unless he needs something, and all she has left to do is sit on that throne for apparently eternity, watching a windmill that never turns. I don't think we've ever seen her anywhere else. She must be half out of her mind with boredom. No wonder she's so cranky.

1. They're essentially nobles, so we have no idea how much their union was based on love, political purposes, or just to continue their species bloodline (and again with the noble aspect, maybe she expects or even doesn't really care that he'd have a consort(s), given the time period).

2. They live for thousands of years. Not sure the source, but I've heard that Sesshomaru was supposed to be around 900 years old (in the OG series) & his father was around 3,000 at the time of his death. He could visit her once every couple hundred years and it might be the equivalent of a human only visiting their parent once every few months.

3. I imagine she's a lot like Sesshomaru himself in that she kind of puts on a poker face, but it's hard to tell what her real thoughts are (probably where he gets it from).
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
Hope everything is going alright, it's been over a month since the last episode review.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
No more weekly reviews, didn't make the cut this round. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6