• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious Party Precure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Pretty Cure is just one of those special franchises that manages to deliver absolute perfection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm so Hyped of this Episode (12) it got two Ubauzo Battles, the Group Attack was seen on the 2nd Battle of the Episode and
StarFan13 wrote:
I thought I did not see Soda Pop again in the ED like later but maybe next ep I will see Pineapple Juice again in the ED.
Saw the Pineapple juice in the ED
I'm also Hype for the Next one because i'm going to see what's Aname's Family is like
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Gentlu is out the picture? Don't worry about spoilers. Gentlu is my favorite and I was hoping she would still be in the show
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
Does anyone know if Gentlu is out the picture? Don't worry about spoilers. Gentlu is my favorite and I was hoping she would still be in the show

spoiler[Merchandising suggests that she's coming back as the fourth Pretty Cure, so she'll still be around, just in a different form.]
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:

spoiler[Gentlu as an identity, probably not appraring again, or at least not much. She IS getting a plushie as Gentlu, which is a first for the series I’ve heard, though, even for redeemed villains, so maybe she’ll have a few echoes in Amane’s psyche or something. At the very least it’ll be a central part of her character arc going forward. Amane as a character, though, very much IS - she’ll be joining as the Fourth Cure sometime in the next month or two, though the announcement last week didn’t specify when she’ll be making her debut. I hope we’ll get a bit of time with Amane as a civilian before then, I like there being a secret keeper character even if she’s only temporarily one, and it would give us a bit more time to see her with the team before she JOINS the team. But I could also see there being episodes, but if they had to cut a couple to make up for losing a month those could well be casualties so that they’re making up that lost time earlier and things are close to releasing at the right time. The merch will be released and they can only delay the midseason Cure so long.]

I’m guessing she’s out of commission this week to give the Takumi plot a bit more room to breathe on its own before going into ‘who’s the real Amane Kasai when she’s not under mind control,’ and might start showing up again after next episode. I hope it’s ‘after next episode’ and not ‘after several episodes integrating Takumi into the group’ because I like Amane and want to see how she reacts to everything she’s been through.

For more miscellaneous episode thoughts: The sense I got is that Monpei was in training or something to be a Cookingdom knight but may have washed out of the program - when An asks about him being a chef, he seems disappointed to say no. Takumi’s outfit seems to have been a creation of the stone, since the episode ends on the shot of it on the hat and they seem pretty rare. It could be HE can’t quite resonate enough, but Takumi can. Kinda glad it continues existing when Takumi’s not wearing it, though, because while it’s a cute look and I do WANT a boy Cure as part of the team someday (hopefully not that long off, either,) I’d like him when he eventually arrives to follow Cure Infini’s design cues as the first not a joke, not a fantasy sequence Male Cure - the power fantasy is still getting the frilly dress and the sparkly hair accessories to kick butt in, just an acknowledgement like Henri’s arc in Hugtto that boys can want that fantasy too. Takumi’s look is just a bit too Tuxedo Mask to fill it, so I do like him being in a more Tuxedo Mask role as opposed to part of the central team. Precure’s been good over the years at allowing girls with a wide range of personalities to be superheroes, including ones with less ‘girly’ interests and aesthetics (even if they do tend to gain four feet of hair in transformation regardless, and we HAVE gotten a few who got to keep their short cuts,) so I’d like to see that extended to GNC boys, too.

Narcistoru just gets more and more awful with everything we find out about him. The fact that his MO clearly includes ‘messing with other people’s brains and enjoying it’ is an interesting character touch. Love how he expects them all to be anticipating his arrival and they’re like ‘no, we don’t care about you, you jerk.’ Also, love that we clearly see how his Recipeppi capture and monsters are different from Gentlu’s instead of last season’s ‘the ball was a different color so they’re arbitrarily more powerful’ thing. I loved the TroPre girls and the fights had a delightful comedic energy to them that was super creative, but I admit the Yarane-da powerups were overwhelming.

We’re a quarter of the way into the season and Yui’s already doubled the Kilocaloric content of her punch. How much do we think she levels up before the season ends?

Last edited by Regalli on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Merchandising suggests that she's coming back as the fourth Pretty Cure, so she'll still be around, just in a different form.][/quote]
Thank you so much[/quote]
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Regalli wrote:
TanyaTheEvil wrote:

spoiler[Gentlu as an identity, probably not, or at least not much. She IS getting a plushie as Gentlu, which is a first for the series I’ve heard, though, even for redeemed villains, so maybe she’ll have a few echoes in Amane’s psyche or something. At the very least it’ll be a central part of her character arc going forward. Amane as a character, though, very much is not - she’ll be joining as the Fourth Cure sometime in the next month or two, though the announcement last week didn’t specify when she’ll be making her debut. I hope we’ll get a bit of time with Amane as a civilian before then, I like there being a secret keeper character even if she’s only temporarily one, and it would give us a bit more time to see her with the team before she JOINS the team. But I could also see there being episodes, but if they had to cut a couple to make up for losing a month those could well be casualties so that they’re making up that lost time earlier and things are close to releasing at the right time. The merch will be released and they can only delay the midseason Cure so long.]

Thank you so much, that is so cool that Gentlu spoiler[is getting a plushie]
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yeah, we’ve had several villains get redemption arcs and become Cures before but apparently she’s the first one to get a plush in villain arc. Given the brainwashing seemed to impose a second personality on her rather than playing off her human self, I almost wonder if Gentlu WON’T somehow stick around in Amane’s mind - most of the villainous redemptions were manipulated or raised into it, and even the other brainwashed villain Cure had been manipulated first. Maybe Gentlu herself will get redemption, too. Either way her design’s cute, though, glad she gets a plush.]

Last edited by Regalli on Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
StarFan13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:09 am Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:
I'm also Hype for the Next one because i'm going to see what's Aname's Family is like
Amame has Twin Brothers, the Precures Faces Narcistoru the New Guy that we 1st saw in ep 9 When will the Precures face Secretoru
Regalli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:36 am Reply with quote
Eep I did not mean to quote instead of spoiler there. Fixed now.

I expect Secretoru will be past midseason, possibly not until the second group attack or even towards endgame. She reminds me of Butler from last season, or the evil guy in Star Twinkle who only got in the game after Cosmo joined and he’d gotten fed up with the other villains’ perceived incompetence (and promptly failed as well, naturally.)
Ruriruri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
While not incorrect it feels a little weird to see someone complaining about product placement in an anime primarily designed to sell toys to little kids.
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
Eh, there’s degrees of product placement. For example, everyone in Tropical Rouge loved the tropical melon bread, but even when rare premium bread was the focus of an episode the plot of the episode was engaging and gave us some character development (Minori being an adorable nerd, low-stakes team conflict after Cure La Mer joined properly.) Manatsu winning people over with said tropical melon bread as a friendship thing works because sharing your favorite snack is a time-honored tradition, and gives us some nice moments of Laura realizing the surface world has its good points. Similar points occur in other seasons. Other toyetic franchise tropes (transformation sequences designed for kids to act it out when they buy the toy, the cute baby mascot who has to be fed special food from another prop, the inevitable toy for the group attack) tend to either be unobtrusive or actively fun to watch. (Tropical Rouge’s makeup sequence with each girl getting her own point? Nice gimmick, and lets them do something interesting with these Cures wearing makeup. Star Twinkle’s including drawing their looks as they sing is a really fun idea that gives them a more active role than the ‘outfit forms around you as you pose’ method. Blender guns.)

This one takes up a lot of the episode’s focus, but it doesn’t do much except exist and telegraph that Amane will continue to have a large presence in the show even if she’s still absent this episode, what with her silhouette prominent on the box. Not a ton of characterization comes out of it, and it’s not the food that the episode revolves around in a food-focused season. Even by merch franchise standards it’s pretty blatant. (Kinda like how I’ve yet to see any use for Kome-Kome’s special human form except ensuring the Kokone and Ran fight episode didn’t get cut following the hack and do the Baby Mascot Thing.)

Aside: I realized a few episodes back that both Yui and Ran have an element of their signature food in their casual outfits (Ran has the narutomaki necklace, Yui has a rice ball on her sweater vest.) Kokone doesn’t, oddly enough, unless you count the circle motifs on her belt and purse (which, honestly, is a stretch,) but her school uniform includes a round brown stone on the ribbon and more apron-esque motif under the blazer, which look close enough I’ll count it. Cute touch. Wonder if we’ll have a clearer food bit for Kokone when they change seasonal outfits. spoiler[For those keeping track of spoilers, Amane’s casual outfit ALSO looks a lot like an apron… though since we see her in a different outfit in the pre-mind control flashback, we’ll see if she changes casual outfits when she returns, probably sometime between ‘next episode’ and ‘next month.’]
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That Black Pepper guy Reminds me of Tuxedo Mask From Sailor Moon
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I am all for calling Black Pepper, Black-pep!! Laughing Laughing

But I noticed that while Kokone is embracing her new friendships, Ran seems to hide her true self with others. Cannot wait for the next episode and see how she handles it.
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I’d gotten ‘autistic kid who wants to make friends but doesn’t know how to handle that when everyone is treating her politely but differently, she didn’t get the rulebook, SEND HELP’ vibes off Kokone since Episode Five, but this episode just amps it up with the anxiety from all these people leading her to infodump about sandwich prep and then be utterly exhausted from the effort. Fortunately the kids she’s giving cooking tips to seem on-board with that. (It’s REALLY easy to read this season as ‘ADHD/Autism Food As Special Interest Solidarity Club’ with Yui introducing Kokone to the idea and them both finding a fellow kindred spirit in Ran, even if she and Kokone bump up against each other at first. It’s great and I love it and I wish this had existed when I was a kid even though the dubbing probably would’ve been atrocious.)

My own neurodiversity agenda aside, I enjoy how this season is so comprehensive in its love of food. The season as a whole is definitely framed around the idea of food as a social experience, especially with the ‘Delicious Party’ name, but here we get Todoroki talking about how eating on your own can be enjoyable and fulfilling, too, especially if you take care with the aesthetics of said food. Last episode had the little ‘no matter how you choose to eat and season things, you’re doing it right so long as you enjoy it!’ message in between the other aspects. Cooking is fun and fulfilling! Make your food look cute if you want. (Incidentally, I want to see more of the nameless girl who eats with Yui and Ran, spoiler[especially since I rather doubt we’ll see much of Amane before her debut as Cure Finale next month. Give us more civilian friends who might learn about the secret superheroing!] She and the VOTW last week who got a name box would be fun to be hanging around in the plot periodically.) All food is good food so far as Delicious Party Precure is concerned, and all aspects of prepping food are part of the fun. I appreciate this.

Also like that, despite Takumi’s proper hero debut in the last few episodes, the show’s totally willing to let him be unnecessary in this one. I do want him to be more than just Tuxedo Spice, Guardian of Moral Support, but letting the girls show off their own growing tactical sense and powers is good after two weeks of him being absolutely vital so they could hype up the new guy. I also hope they don’t spend the ENTIRE season with him being mysterious, those scenes of the whole team hanging out together in the OP look like a fun dynamic and I want to see them in action. Probably not until after the midseason Cure properly debuts and has time to integrate into the team herself, but that still leaves plenty of time for it. Plus I want to see Mari-chan talk more about what being a Cook Knight entails and get to be a mentor to Takumi, too. Give us the CooKingdom lore!

The Narcistoru-Secretoru scene this episode was fun, and the first time either of them has really gotten the chance to be PROPERLY ridiculous. Secretoru checking that no the Bundoru fistbump is TOTALLY cool is endearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9