• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Metallic Rouge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
You know what, it's a good point bringing out Wonder Egg Priority because at the very least Metallic Rouge kept the goodness of Rouge's and Naomi's relationship despite the shoddy execution. And it's consistent unlike in Wonder Egg Priority where that threw out any goodwill at the show's tail end especially with that awful delayed final episode. Mad

Regardless, I think I'm more upset that the peeps with some pedigree at Studio BONES spectacularly botched this especially for an anniversary work. When will be the next time they'll ever do another show with female leads like Rouge and Naomi again especially that are yuri-friendly?
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Y'all are gonna make Todd_Harry08 cry. Laughing Laughing Laughing In the Worst Anime talkback thread he pointed out that this is actually a great show but sadly most people aren't intelligent enough to understand it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lol joke on you actually i'm very happy because you showed your true face.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Metallic Rouge is the dog from the "Oh you!" meme. How long has it been since Rouge did one of her dog impersonations anyway?
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Confessedly, I cannot see the yuri. Don't get me wrong, now several times I've seen people remark on how those more intimate scenes saved a deeply troubled episode -- and I get it, of course. But my inability to "see," or rather, feel it, lies just as much in the lackluster and hurried resolutions and execution as much as with anything else in this show. Actually, if not debatably worse on some real level, since that was consistently the best part with all sorts of nifty ways to take it, rather than being so limp, squashed together, and limited. Would frankly rather scratch up some "true best buds" stuff internally, and then go read some yuri doujinshi for something that knows what it wants to do and does so. But it'd feel weird, too off-base personally; a sudden allowance of credit when already in the red (... heh), and as symbolic as it'd be self-serving instead of actually resonating with myself. That's probably the final bow, though.

It's been a thoroughly great time reading Jones' weekly write-ups, and I vibe a lot with the reasons given in terms of recommending and enjoying. Although, I gave this show a 4, since as generous as I try to be I feel like even "mid" would be too much credit. For every pro there are two or more cons to point to, with the music being a prime example in how I found it largely functional if not sometimes even impeding my enjoyment due to the mixing, but damn if YU-KA's singing isn't glorious. For every slick sequence with Naomi gesticulating, there were plenty more forgettable ones, and the list goes on. Even if it was a consistently, consummately enjoyable experience. spoiler[When are we getting another thing in the Rougeverse, as it were?]
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Once again I am the weirdo, because I ended up not only unequivocally loving Metallic Rouge, I ultimately prefer it over Bravern.

I'm as surprised as anyone else by that: I still think Bravern is overall a good show. But it leaned heavily on a big twist, which ended up only being OK (and surprisingly derivative in execution), and then had an extra twist which was even more derivative. It really sucked the air out of the finale for me.

Metallic Rouge, messy as it could be, has a lot of guts, and I found it easy to appreciate. I liked that it never backed down on trying to stuff as much as it could together and trusting you to keep up, but more importantly, its core duo was always fun to watch together.

Anime has its work cut out for it this year. I doubt anything else will have such a strong OP/ED combo, and the Character of the Year is already here!

OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The apex arrives when Naomi decides to merge her ID fully with Rouge's body, transforming the two of them into a lesbian-powered super sentai warrior.

Sentai is actually the only one out of the big three henshin hero toku series (Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Ultraman), that doesn't regularly include bodysharing/mindfusing transformations as power-ups and/or vehicles to convey the development of interpersonal relationship that generally have some form of gay undertones. In general I would say that Metallic Rouge has a lot more in common with Kamen Rider, not only in appearance but also themes (it reminds me specifically of Kamen Rider Zero-One for the fact that it fumbled the Sentient AI-rights stuff).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:47 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Confessedly, I cannot see the yuri. Don't get me wrong, now several times I've seen people remark on how those more intimate scenes saved a deeply troubled episode -- and I get it, of course. But my inability to "see," or rather, feel it, lies just as much in the lackluster and hurried resolutions and execution as much as with anything else in this show.

I'd agree - you mentioned LycoRico earlier, which is a show that kept its yuri decidedly on the subtext side of things, but I absolutely buy the ship there. Here, Naomi and Rouge have great chemistry, but it's not remotely romantic chemistry. I don't think Rouge is emotionally mature enough to experience it, and Naomi is too... Naomi.. for romance really. Rouge's summary of "best strangers" is pretty apt, and perhaps that is upgraded to friends and partners (in the professional sense) by the end. The two-hearts-one-body thing doesn't really change this in my view. Perhaps that will make the situation pretty awkward for all involved somewhere down the line.
pi8you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:21 am Reply with quote
I'm still in love with the idea of this show, but oh man, the execution just continually does everything it can to undercut it. That virus at the end? What a great mid-series pivot that could have been in a show better written (and given two cours to work with). But no, Gene's got it, carry on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6