• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (all seasons, OAVs, movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, I know it's different continuities, but it's an interesting point nonetheless.

In tonights episode shown on Adult Swim (Afternoon of the Machines: PAT), the Major remarks aboutspoiler[ the members of Section 9 not being "Free" after they detain the inventor of the Tachikoma AI's.]

In the movie, spoiler[the Major remarks on the boat to Batou where if any member of Section 9 retires, that after the taking of any state-owned property (i.e. the Cyborg Bodies and whatnot), there will be "nothing left" of the Major, save for a few natural body parts.] Even the manga alludes to this spoiler[where after a technician at Megatech ogles the Major, thinking Section 9 has found the missing cyborg body, Aramaki angrily remarks "Hands Off! She's Government Property!!"]

Now in Solid State Society, spoiler[On the plane heading for the exiled Siak dictator Karam's island, Togusa remarks about the Major's resignation from Section 9.] Yet, as seen thru the movie spoiler[she has access to not one, but several bodies.]

Without pushing any wild theories, spoiler[how did the Major manage to "keep" her body, or for that matter, "transfer" to another body if her "original" body was state-owned property?]
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well, this is sort of a stupid theory and not at all possible, but I've noticed that the Major seems to be pretty damn loaded. Is it possible that spoiler[she paid the government for her body, and then Aramaki pulled a few strings to get her off the hook? It seems like the sort of thing he'd do, since he's kind of like a paternal figure toward her.]

But then again, the government probably wouldn't want all that advanced technology walking around Niihama. An interesting quandary you've brought up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
goins007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I just figured that she's the Major. If she wants to leave Section 9 with her body, she's going to find a way to do it. And I also just thought they they are probably pretty well paid, and it seems like she didn't have that many expenses...
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I consider the GitS movies and series as having two different timelines that aren't readily interchangeable. I treat the movies (Ghost in the Shell and GitS: Innocence) as one timeline, and the Stand Alone Complex franchise (seasons one and two, and Solid State Society) as a different timeline. When you look at the two Motoko Kusanagi characters, they're actually pretty different. The Motoko in the movies is cold and questioning of her existence. The Motoko from the SAC franchise is still a serious character, but she has more of a motherly demeanor towards her team and she's confident of who she is.

I think they tried to portray this in a scene that happens between Motoko and Togusa in both timelines. At the start of the original movie, the two are in the truck and Motoko tries to convince Togusa to replace his revolver with a better weapon. She doesn't care that Togusa likes the revolver and wants him to use the automatic instead. She also notes Section 9's need to have non-augmented humans as part of the team.

In episode one of the series, after the first mission Togusa goes to the shooting range to practice. Motoko chastizes him a bit and suggests getting a prosthetic body if he has to run back to the shooting range after each mission. She tells him that he was excellent during the mission but if he was unsure of using the submachinegun around the hostages he should've switched to his pistol.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DClark's pretty much got this nailed.

The two GitS movies (the original and Innocence) were directed by Mamoru Oshii, and contained more of his ideology than they did Masamune Shirow's original manga. They're exquisite films, but fit in more amongst Oshii's other works (Jin Roh or his live-action works like Red Spectacles) than they do the Ghost in the Shell canon.

In reality, there is no true interplay between the movies and Stand Alone Complex even though they both use the same source material. Stand Alone Complex is different, because while there are the elements of Shirow's manga, it does not have Oshii at the helm.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
DClark's pretty much got this nailed.

The two GitS movies (the original and Innocence) were directed by Mamoru Oshii, and contained more of his ideology than they did Masamune Shirow's original manga. They're exquisite films, but fit in more amongst Oshii's other works (Jin Roh or his live-action works like Red Spectacles) than they do the Ghost in the Shell canon.

In reality, there is no true interplay between the movies and Stand Alone Complex even though they both use the same source material. Stand Alone Complex is different, because while there are the elements of Shirow's manga, it does not have Oshii at the helm.

But the Stand Alone Complex series still plays somewhat on the concept that the cyborg parts of the members of Section 9 are government owned.

Although here's another thing I just thought of; in episode 24 of the first season of SAC, as Kusanagi and Batou spoiler[are escaping the police officers who have come to take down Section 9], she says something about the whole thing being just a setup for cyborgs like herself and Batou to have access to high-quality parts and free maintanance, and they'll just have to find another sponsor. This suggests that their prosthetics are in fact government property.

Really, though, she's the Major. If she wants to spoiler[leave the force] and take her prosthetics with her, who's gonna say no? x)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The movie had to take a hard line stance with regards to prosthetics in order not to give that Motoko an 'out'; the way the story unfolded required that Motoko not to be able to just pick up and leave after it was all over. With the SAC series, it's much longer and more evolving story, so by maintaining a hard line with regards to prosthetics they would cut out some of the avenues they might want to explore at a later date (like with Solid State Society).

With regards to the conversation between Kusanagi and Batou, she uses the term "Latest maintennance and cutting-edge equipment" ("top-rate equipment" in the subtitles), not high quality parts. While 'parts' would denote body parts, equipment is considered their weaponry and gadgets, as well as the Tachikomas. It was more a conversation about how the spirit of Section 9 is in the people of Section 9, not the technology they use to fight crime.
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Also, in the Stand Alone Complex continuity, the Major spoiler[went full cyborg at about age 6.] That would seem to suggest that full prothetic bodies are available commercially, not just given by the government. I imagine some upgrades were provided when she joined the military, and later Section 9. She might have been required spoiler[to turn those in when she resigned, but not the entire body. ]

The only item spoiler[I can think she might have been required to leave behind was her secure comm with other Section 9 members.] I have yet to see SSS, so I don't know if she uses it there. I doubt spoiler[training software or learned skills would be deleted. You don't expect a fighter pilot to immediately forget that skill set when he or she is discharged. However, it is also expected not to be put to use in civilian life. ]

-Murph
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
DClark wrote:

With regards to the conversation between Kusanagi and Batou, she uses the term "Latest maintennance and cutting-edge equipment" ("top-rate equipment" in the subtitles), not high quality parts. While 'parts' would denote body parts, equipment is considered their weaponry and gadgets, as well as the Tachikomas. It was more a conversation about how the spirit of Section 9 is in the people of Section 9, not the technology they use to fight crime.

Ah, yeah. It's been a while since I watched that episode (my DVDs are currently being loaned out to a relative), so I forgot exactly what the wording was.

And it's also a well-known fact that prosthetic bodies are available commerically; Kusanagi's nurse 'friend' mentioned a little girl being spared from having to get a full prosthetic, and then in 2nd GIG there's a lot of talk about workers buying and being given prosthetic bodies. Not to mention that kid in Taiwan who wanted to know if he could still have sex with a full prosthetic.

That said, it's even possible that Kusanagi left her military-use parts and managed to buy them again on the black market.
shorap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
and all I can say is wow. The whole 2nd season is paced so well and the overarcing storyline is fantastic. SSS was also a worthy followup with its own storyline while paying homage to the 2 theatrical movies in spots.

Obviously I'm not gonna spoil anything but Production IG is in the drivers seat right now. They could either have it end with SSS or do a possible 3rd GIG, continuing w/ the changes made and hinted w/ in SSS.

I live in the middle of nowhere and simply needed an outlet to share the "high" I'm feeling from finishing up the series to the current state. I've got that "seeing things in a different light" or "rocked my world" feeling right now and find it ironic how anime is the predominant source for these feelings I get when it's still such a niche in the US, especially compared to similar mediums like film.
Ragg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it is cause you live in the middle of nowhere, but man I congratulate you since I cant even take 2-3 eps of GitS in a row let alone the entire second season and a movie....... Glad you enjoyed it tho... although to me it is a bit astounding Razz. Too much... "thinking" ?..
shorap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
that's part of the appeal of the GItS movies and mini series; they lend themselves very well to repeat visits Surprised
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Intelligent series like GITS: SAC are like crack to me, personally. Stand Alone Complex (both seasons) is one of my absolute favorites. Excellent balance of the things that entertain me, the action for one part and the complex storyline and philosophical and psychological aspects for the other half of me.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Intelligent series like GITS: SAC are like crack to me, personally. Stand Alone Complex (both seasons) is one of my absolute favorites. Excellent balance of the things that entertain me, the action for one part and the complex storyline and philosophical and psychological aspects for the other half of me.

Amen to that. I lent my SAC first season box set to an aunt (who unfortunately never got around to watching it), and marathoned the entire thing in a day upon getting it back. 2nd GIG I found to be a bit dry in places, but I can still get through it all in a couple of days if I have a craving for it. There's just so much to chew on intellectually, and then even little details in the animation that you might not pick up the first time, like spoiler[C.E.O. Jameson crossing the street in front of the coffee shop where Serano was sitting with the Laughing Man] or even spoiler[the remote-Motoko (ReMotoko?) that got shot in the second to last episode of the first season not wearing that silver watch]. I felt sort of stupid for not noticing that, actually ;;;
shorap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
I felt that 2nd GIG was better because the "invited refugee" story arc was consistently present throughout the season, whearas the "puppet master" story arc in season 1 came and went so the viewer was more prone to forgetfulness.

Also, the 2nd season focused more on Section 9 as a team instead of just the Major, Batou, Togusa, and Aramaki. They're still the focal characters but the other minor characters in the agency are used more than previously.

...That's not to say that season 1 is no slouch though, the SAC series is my favorite series/mini series and I hope they eventually decide to continue it sometime in the future, especially taking into account the current situation and impending changes following SSS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10