• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Foxbox Trailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:
Tomoyo714 I have not gone out of my way to insult anyone here, specially you. Though I am sure you don't like having someone point that out to you. None of my post have been directed at you or other posters. As I stated before, if you so wish to be the center of my rants and feel that I am personally attacking you for liking 4kids and being a loony fan girl/boy at anime cons, then be my guest. But I never said you were, you have made this assumption.

I never said you were personally attacking me... all I stated was that you were making insulting comments about other posters period. And yes you have, say what you like but you HAVE called people who don't agree with your view of the world dumb, bought out, stupid, childish....need I go on? I on the other hand have said nothing insulting you pass that maybe you should put your money where your mouth is and BUY the uncut versions versus whining.

GallenStorm wrote:
Oh and I think it was one of your friend here who told me that I was probably to dumb to understand your first post to me. Lets see, who is attacking who here?

And sorry but I do not even know this poster, and they were probably attacking you because they were also put out by the fact you seem so quick to judge anyone not sharing your VERY narrow view.

GallenStorm wrote:
Aside from that, I will complain about the dis-justice being done to anime. I am a fan, I do not have faith in these companies cause I know just as well as everyone else they are in it for the money. As a fan I have a right to complain and petition for them to release uncuts, which now they seem to be doing. But they haven't done it for One Piece yet and Naruto still hangs out in lala land. So until that happens and until the threat of Americanization of all anime shows is put to rest, I shall be a purist fan who will demand that I get to have the choice between dub or sub, uncut or cut.

Once again I state complain until your face is blue.... it will do NOTHING... buy the uncut versions, show 4Kids there IS A MARKET and guess what...they will make more.... One Piece am I certain would be next on there list.... Naruto isn't even liscened by them so thats a moot point.
GallenStorm wrote:
I feel children are being robed of a cultural experiences, at the expense of being brainwashed by these companies, so that they go out and buy the merchandise. Yes, Yu Gi Oh was like this in Japan, but it also carried morals and values, in America it doesn't. All it carries is a repetitious ad for a card game. This argument is on more then just the butchering of anime on TV, but also an argument on the lose of morals being taught to our young in our country and the lose of creativity. All so some rich guy in a company can get richer.

Have you watched the dubbed version of Yu Gi Oh?? At all?? Do you have any clue what you are complaining about?? I will give you it isn't the same as the Japanese version but the show DOES have values.... how many people here have harped about Yugi ALWAYS talking about the "Heart of the Cards"? You know what that is? Its Yugi talking about believeing in yourself and your strenght to help you defeat your enemy, by having the belief he has in his cards, mostly because they are symbol of his Grandfathers love for him and thats what started the whole "Heart of the Cards" thing was Yugi looking to them for guidance when his Grandfather was hurt and he was fighting for him. Also the ENTIRE show revolves around how important friendship is..... I even laugh when they all hold up there little symbol they drew on there hands and that it means they build strenght from one other and will never fail as long as they remember to believe in each other?? THAT IS VAULES!! The values of love, friendship, believing in yourself and ever other bit of shonen junk they put into boy anime titles.

GallenStorm wrote:
So before you fight me on this, sit down and watch the fansubed version of Yu Gi Oh, Shaman King, or just watch one of the otehr million TV shows that are already here and un cut. One of the things that attracts us to these stories, I believe, is the fact that they deal with the complexity of life and morals, and do not hide the fact that life is tough. That being a good person or having friends can and will always help get you through life. That evil can sometimes change sides and that true evil, even if it is winning in the beginning will lose in the end. All themes once found in our cultures literature, but now lost to the modern ideas of the strong will survive and the weak will die or be the strong’s minions, because money and corruption is what give one power, and honor and loyalty will leave you at the bottom.

You know for NOT saying anything bad about anyone here you certainly like talking down to all of us. Do you think I have NEVER watched something subtitled?? I have been into anime for 8 years, but I you honestly think I have never seen a single title in its subtitled form?? You like making backwards assumtions don't you?? I watch both sub and dub thank you, depends on the company and the voice actors. For explain, Hellsing I liked better dubbed.... Wolf's Rain I liked better subbed... Also we are talking about Yu Gi Oh here.... I doubt it deals very much with the "complexity of life and morals, and do not hide the fact that life is tough." Its a little kids show about fighting another guy with Harpies!! And One Piece its a great show but its about a kid that eats a Fruit that gives him power like rubber... and he sinks in water.... this isn't NGE.... its a show aimed towards small children....
GallenStorm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I give up. I say blue, you'll say green. You will read into everything I say and find fault with me cause I disagree with you. So were at a moot point. You win, congratulations. I wasn't here to fight. Yet the more I say, the more I get people, like you reading deeper into it and claiming i am some horrible person. I give up, I made my points, I am not going to keep fighting. It is a waste of my time. You win, you have made reasonable points that I agree and disagree with.

But like I said, if I say anything, I will have someone reading into it deeper then it was meant to be and claiming I am some jerk. So I give up. It’s not worth arguing over, One Piece is going to suck, anime will be shitted on again, and people seem to think if the show doesn't have blood and sex or a NGE like story, it isn't for older viewers. You win, yay, I am done. I am not going to be the cause of a major flame war. Have fun, I’ll be looking in, but I am done with the topic. I have been proven wrong to a degree and what I have said which is possibly legitimate is ignored, so their is no point in staying. It was fun while it lasted.

Congratulations you got the newbie to leave, I hope your proud. Have fun with your click. Anime smile

I apologies to everyone else for making them feel offended or talked down to.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
And once again, a thread has turned into a shouting match between the ignorant and the learned.

I have a question that's may be relevant to this "conversation": How old are all you people who are complaning about whatever you're complaining about? Ballpark figures will do. This is not to stalk people. This is to possibly prove a point.
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
GallenStorm wrote:

Congratulations you got the newbie to leave, I hope your proud. Have fun with your click. Anime smile

I find this amusing.... considering....I don't even really know anyone here.... nor have a really posted here for like a year.... just had the flu this weekend and was feeling a little cabin fever so I started posting on the forum again.... yet I am being accused of driving someone away.... *shrugs*

BTW to answer the other question....

I am 24!
Very Happy
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
It's, uh, spelled "clique."

Oh well. Goodbye!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:12 am Reply with quote
Tomoyo714 wrote:
GallenStorm wrote:

I find this amusing.... considering....I don't even really know anyone here.... nor have a really posted here for like a year.... just had the flu this weekend and was feeling a little cabin fever so I started posting on the forum again.... yet I am being accused of driving someone away.... *shrugs*

BTW to answer the other question....

I am 24!
Very Happy

Can we give Tomoyo some kind of award for driving Gallenstorm off? I didn't want to have to do it myself, so I appreciate her efforts.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Just a comment on "Americanization". It's not going away. Ever. It's been here since the begining with the likes of Astroboy, Gigantor, and Speed Racer and it's only gotten heavier and heavier in the last 10, 20, 30 years. The very last place you'll see it go away from is Saturday mornings. Networks don't pick up cartoons because of their love for animation, they do it because they want the most money they can squeeze out of those shows. If that means licensing a show from Japan and doing whatever it takes to make it popular in the US then so be it, it's almost always going to be cheaper than making it themselves and they'll still enjoy the same kickbacks.

If you have strong fealings towards TV edits then you either watch it unedited or just do without (what's wrong with these fans today who have to have everything their way and can't do with nothing?). However, bitching about it wont keep it off TV, it'll just show that people want (read: willing to spend money on) an unedited version.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthatdizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
out of curosity? who said that we should buy the UncUT DVDs ? The last time I checked, 4Kids doesn't do Uncut chit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote
iamthatdizzy wrote:
out of curosity? who said that we should buy the UncUT DVDs ? The last time I checked, 4Kids doesn't do Uncut chit!

They don't. But they sold the rights to FUNimation to do uncut Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs. They start coming out in October.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6