• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kids Station Cancels Its Hetalia Anime Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5_of_Spades

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
If Germany made a similar cartoon aimed at youth about WWII and made the axis powers seem all rainbows and puppies, I wonder what people would say then.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
And the funny thing is that it wasn't a war. I don't know why people think that human cruelty only occur in wartime situations.

another funny thing is, the situations that i have been speaking of with regards to the third world nations didn't really have anything to do with any kind of war. they are happening right now as we speak when their countries or regions don't really have any "official" wars, or wars official enough to be reported on the news. a lot of things don't get reported in the news but the hunger and suffering keeps going on.

lady, or sir, what i'm trying to say is, when i said "for a long time", your U.S., your country has made huge differences since those times of hardship of your forefathers and ancestors. they are a FIRST world country now, they have made huge progresses since then that's why they are now called "first world" or first-class countries if you like. and the reason why i brought about progressive first world countries and not-so-progressive third world countries (do you even know the difference?) in the first place, is because, the generation now (including you) who live a sheltered life because their country is a very progressive one now NO LONGER experience the hardship of still developing third-world countries like most suffering countries in Asia, hence, it's natural that it feels a bit strange why we see and feel things differently. we have poverty, you have progress.

i am not trying to devalue what the Americans have suffered internally. maybe i was wrong when i used "for a long time" since the racism problem has only been resolved sometime in the late 60's (mind you, i am very well aware of that history of suffering), but i was only thinking more of the general situation of a country and the economy that is feeding its people and keeping it together (WW2 and the American victory actually saved it from the Great Depression). but the thing is, it has been more or less been settled. whereas the problems Asians face still hasn't been settled, hence the resentment towards Japan. as for Korea, i don't think it really falls into that category since it has been a progressive country recently, but the reparations and acknowledgment it has been asking from Japan hasn't been given it yet.

you live in a time when things have been okay, but for countries who are not yet okay, people feel a little different and will obviously have views different from yours because your situations are entirely different. and they may be views that you won't understand because your circumstances are different. the racism and discrimination is over and done with in your country (you now have an African-American president for pete's sake), but the same issue involving Japan and Korea and the other abused countries still isn't.

5_of_Spades wrote:
If Germany made a similar cartoon aimed at youth about WWII and made the axis powers seem all rainbows and puppies, I wonder what people would say then.

this is an excellent point. when the aggressor or country responsible for the aggression is making jokes out of the trauma they've caused, is making light of the tragedy they brought about, people are bound to be insulted, angry and hurt about it. what makes the Japanese case worse is, it hasn't admitted itself as the aggressor and sees their acts of atrocity as if it were nothing.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:

you live in a time when things have been okay, but for countries who are not yet okay, people feel a little different and will obviously have views different from yours because your situations are entirely different. and they may be views that you won't understand because your circumstances are different. the racism and discrimination is over and done with in your country (you now have an African-American president for pete's sake), but the same issue involving Japan and Korea and the other abused countries still isn't.

If you think the problem of racism was solved at 1968, you're sadly mistaken, especially Obama already broke the records for most death threats ever for a President-elect and that there was a plan for a massacre that was thankfully reverted to kill 88 black people and the President-elect. I'm not mentioning the justice system problems and the like. Not that I wish that Martin Luther King 's dream was true.

Korea has been industrialized for just as long as Blacks had the freedom to do so, but some (a few most likely) still carry the grudge to the point that they're teaching their children to hate the Japanese, which is disturbing. Grudges from my personal experience as a Black person and seeing it from my own people towards the White are very, very ugly and, most of the time, unproductive.

I agree that Japanese government needs to apologize properly (although I heard the South Korea government had revealed that Japan had paid reparations to the SK government after the SK government itself told the Japanese government to give it to them instead directly to the victims.)
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:

yes, but think about the overwhelming number of people willing, the vast majority of people who chose to pick Obama and anoint him as the first African-American president. there lies the difference that matters. a difference that is a gaping hole in its Asian and other lesser fortunate counterparts.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:

you live in the U.S., right? pretty much things have been going smoothly for a very long time over there. it's not the same thing, and you don't have the same landscape when you live in a third-world country which most of the countries in Asia are. you never really suffered over the years and that's why you found it strange and amazed in fact over something you have never felt. in the last few wars, you never really suffered too, but these nations and its people who have have been invaded, raped, conquered, massacred, tortured. so yeah, i'm pretty sure there's a stark difference over there that's hard for you to see and understand because you were never truly a victim.

Wow.
You know so much about my 48 yr old life, don't you?
I wasn't threatened DAILY by the black kids in the school I attended for 6 months in 4th grade which was predominantly black to have my ass whupped. Some stupid little "white paddie" chant at just about EVERY recess. A teacher who'd put me on time-out just for WALKING past her. My parents moved from the house my aunt was renting them cheap because they couldn't stand it any longer.
I didn't learn from PERSONAL experience in the turbulent 60's that prejudice & racisim is STUPID no matter what color of skin wraps the mouth spouting it or the brain thinking it. There are good people of all races & there are rotten people of all races.
People really are alike all over.

Dernhelm wrote:

that aside, things are different when you are the victim. they're a lot harder to convince because they've been the ones who have felt the pain and brutal suffering. i don't think anyone can really argue against tragic and traumatic experiences, no?

I found my husband of 20 yrs dead one morning about 8 yrs ago. That was pretty traumatic.
How about these Koreans?
Are these the actual victims protesting, or just a group indignant over their national pride being insulted?

Dernhelm wrote:

all you can do if you were the one who offended them is to constantly try to make it up to them by being on your best behavior and hope for some forgiveness. you're the sinner here, beggars for forgiveness can't be choosers. so with something like this Hetalia controversy happening, this slight lapse on "good behavior" gives the victims like Korea the excuse and the exclusive legitimate right to complain just because they were a victim of Japan.

???
My mother-in-law(deceased) used to go on & on about how horrible her life had been because of her stepmother. The month my husband dies, I was actually shocked when we visited her & she actually said it didn't matter any longer (she was 70 by then). I could never understand her vehemence against that stepmother, either since I've never been one to buy into "My parents ruined my life". One deals with adversity or one is destroyed by it. The person who did that had their issues. My mother has had issues with how my father was treated by his family forever-she's never let that go. The past is the past--can't change it. Grandmother was a teenage girl in trouble in the 1930's. What was done was done. Do I expect father to be all happy about it? No. Do I hope he forgives her actions, the actions of a frail human? I hope so. What she did was between her & her god. I really don't see the point in hating other people who wronged one 50, 60 yrs earlier because most beings on this planet have their reasons for their actions. If those wrongs involve crimes, one hopes they are punished, but again, I believe in karma so somewhere all these people do pay so I don't have to waste my time caught up in negative hate. Life's too short to waste so much time hating.
Realistically, expecting Japan to admit their wrong would be nice, but one doesn't expect to see it. As I recall there was talk of the women involved demanding an official apology & compensation a decade or 2 back when I first recall hearing of it. It's nice our governement did apologize & offer compensation to the Japanese Americans we imprisoned for the crime of being Japanese & who lost their homes & everything, but that took many yrs, didn't it?

Dernhelm wrote:

and the very sensitive and dangerous part here is, here they are openly making parodies and making fun of the 2nd World War when they haven't even really acknowledged the atrocities they've inflicted during the war yet. so i'm not really surprised why there are people up in arms about a very obvious WW2-ish parody as Hetalia.

Don't forget Japan was beaten & occupied themselves. Their leaders lied to them. There's a certain amount of betrayal & victimhood in their psyche also.

Dernhelm wrote:

there are still WW2 survivors and veterans around, mind you. anyway there's also this thing called 'acknowledgment' that should easily serve as a cure all or at least make affected people a little less disgruntled. however, it has to be a very meaningful one and Japan hasn't really been doing that yet.

So the people in Japan who made the decisions, who called the shots & not the average joe-grunt soldiers are alive to apologize.

As I said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I've always heard that until a person wants to change, they won't. Even if Japan as a nation never admits wrongdoing doesn't mean its victims can't move on themselves. Each person is really only responsible only for themselves. I have had people who wronged me apologize yrs after the event &, yeah, it's nice, but I've already moved past it myself so it no longer has any sting. I recognize they need to do it to grow themselves, but I've usually moved on with my life because that's what one does.

Dernhelm wrote:
we have poverty, you have progress.

So the homeless guys I talk to on a regular basis are "progress". I'd call them poverty. You know so much about the dirt poor side of America, right? The thousands of people who haven't eaten in a day or 2 or more? The people the cops find dead of exposure, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7