• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Film's Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

And I also wish that we could stop calling artists "trolls" for surprising people, creating things outside the norm or interacting with audience expectations in any way. It really trivializes their creativity!

M. Night Shyamalan's on the phone. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Was wondering when the next film was coming out. To be honest even though I picked up the 2nd film I felt like I missed something.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I loved the audience's reaction to the trailer's 3.0 related elements. One could almost sense the build up of excitement. Looking forward to seeing 3.0 when it get's its eventual North American release.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I saw nothing new there to get excited about. Running a trailer on a shopping plaza wall? Out of focus? Looked more like a few cuts from the TV series with a few clips of EoE? Yeah, he's no troll, not at all. Rolling Eyes
Being an old git means one is not so easily lead, until one get demented and that's not happening to me yet. I seriously hope he proves me wrong, if he does he'll get my money as his reward, but stunts like this isn't shaking my confidence.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I saw nothing new there to get excited about. Running a trailer on a shopping plaza wall? Out of focus? Looked more like a few cuts from the TV series with a few clips of EoE? Yeah, he's no troll, not at all. Rolling Eyes
Being an old git means one is not so easily lead, until one get demented and that's not happening to me yet. I seriously hope he proves me wrong, if he does he'll get my money as his reward, but stunts like this isn't shaking my confidence.

There were no clips from the TV series or EoE in that trailer. There were two playbacks of the first two movies, and then some footage from the third one.
Out of curiosity, have you seen any of the Rebuild movies? The first movie is pretty much the same as the TV series, however, the second movie is really different in terms of tone and plot. Maybe give these new movies a shot before you write Anno off as a troll. I'm an 'old git' in spirit - I'm usually hyper critical of new material of TV shows and movies I like (for example, I am steering clear of Arrested Development season 4), but these movies have been excellent so far, and I'm really excited to see what's going to happen with the last two movies.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

There were no clips from the TV series or EoE in that trailer. There were two playbacks of the first two movies, and then some footage from the third one.
Out of curiosity, have you seen any of the Rebuild movies? The first movie is pretty much the same as the TV series, however, the second movie is really different in terms of tone and plot. Maybe give these new movies a shot before you write Anno off as a troll. I'm an 'old git' in spirit - I'm usually hyper critical of new material of TV shows and movies I like (for example, I am steering clear of Arrested Development season 4), but these movies have been excellent so far, and I'm really excited to see what's going to happen with the last two movies.
Sadly I can say I did see the first Rebuild movie before EoE, and I have seen the recent "1.11" version. The second hasn't washed up on our beaches yet. I found the original Rebuild to be two different "half builds" badly glued to gather in the middle, and still wish to get a refund of the time out of my life I wasted watching it. I loved EoE up until the last 6 minutes to the credits when Anno gave me the golden shower. I still swear I could hear him laughing in the background of the music. But let's call a spade a shovel here. 1.11 was mostly the TV series with a few new inserts and edits here and there closer to the end of it. I've seen enough reviews of 2.0 to know it is more of a complete "rebuild" even with the introduction of a fresh character, but as with all these EVA franchises, it's always been at the very end that will prove one way or the other whether Anno behaves himself and does the business, or yet again showers' us all with willy rain. So far the score is Anno 3 - fans 0. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sadly I can say I did see the first Rebuild movie before EoE, and I have seen the recent "1.11" version. The second hasn't washed up on our beaches yet.

I would attest that 2.22 has been available through Manga for a year now. Indeed, I recall obtaining a copy from a booth last July. It is likely to be even more affordable now than it was then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sadly I can say I did see the first Rebuild movie before EoE, and I have seen the recent "1.11" version. The second hasn't washed up on our beaches yet.

I would attest that 2.22 has been available through Manga for a year now. Indeed, I recall obtaining a copy from a booth last July. It is likely to be even more affordable now than it was then.
Ordered, Cheers for the heads up. Wink
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So far the score is Anno 3 - expectations 0. Wink

Fixed.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I loved EoE up until the last 6 minutes to the credits when Anno gave me the golden shower.

Haha yeah, I think you and I won't agree on EoE then. I personally loved how bleak the ending was, and how it was very open to interpretation. What was a golden shower to you was like a big delicious cake that makes you feel awesome and shitty at the same time for me.
Completely out of curiosity, what about the ending did you dislike? It might make it a bit easier to see if you'd be okay with the ending of 2.22 or not.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I loved EoE up until the last 6 minutes to the credits when Anno gave me the golden shower.

Hm, if closure was your problem with EoE, grab and read RE-TAKE then, it gives a rather satisfying ending to the series.

The sex scenes are a welcome extra too... Twisted Evil

Regarding the trailer it was good, although I'd prefer sth like that more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoDtV1ZfR5g

Hope we do get some classic scores in 3.0 , hopefully Kaworu can help with that...^^
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
DarkPhoenixMishima wrote:
Alright then, time to wait out the two years before this gets dubbed.

Burn heretic! BUUURNNNN!

Watching dubbed animes is like listening to bad cover songs...

Do you know bad dub/voice acting exist in Japan too? I think you might want to read this. Also I will quote something from the article in case you're too lazy to read the whole article.

Quote:

Subtitles are superior because you get to hear the original voices.

I love this argument, because then I can ask the fan if he prefers to watch Tenchi Muyo! In Love in English. After all, the English voices were recorded first. Then I get to watch the fun as he backtracks, usually by redefining "original". But whatever. I could care less about "original" voices. I'd rather hear the "best" voices, or rather, the voices that give me the most enjoyable overall experience.

I think the problem here is that some people equate animation dubs with live-action dubs. In the latter, hearing the original voices is very important, since those voices belong to the human actors you see on the screen. In contrast, animation cels have no voice of their own. (As has been said, "All animation is dubbed.") So saying one vocal track is superior to another simply because it was recorded first is a spurious argument.

The Japanese voice acting is always better than the English voice acting.

Ha. No, seriously. Ha.

Once upon a time, you could say this and know it to be true, not because you knew anything about the Japanese acting, but because the English dub acting was so absolutely amateurishly awful. These days, it's rare for a dub to not be at least passable, and several studios consistently produce very good dubs. So to continue to make this argument, you have to be able to describe just how good the Japanese acting is.

That's where the argument breaks down. If you don't speak Japanese, you cannot determine with any degree of accuracy whether the acting is any good. And please, spare me the hooie about how you can just tell by how well the actors emote. Any actor can emote. Emoting is one part of acting. There's timing, enunciation, and all kinds of nuances that go into delivering a good line, all of which is lost on you if you don't speak the language. Scott Frazier tells a funny story about how he learned one of his favorite anime (Dirty Pair) was horribly acted, once he became fluent in Japanese.

The sad truth of the matter is that most Japanese anime voice acting is of average quality. This is not to impugn the Japanese; it's merely Sturgeon's Law at work. For every Akira Kamiya and Megumi Hayashibara, there are scores of actors giving uninspired, cookie-cutter performances.

Also Japan has their share of screwing up dub also. You know Beast Wars? Japan kinda give Beast Wars the same treatment like the way 4kids did to One Piece (altered opening which will remind you of 4kids One Piece opening, character gender being changed for the JPN version, and voice that don't fit the characters in the dub). You can watch it here. Also when SE dubbed Modern Warfare 2 in Japanese, it didn't exactly became the greatest dub in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7