• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFF_Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
When will American companies learn that the best people for the job when it comes to dubbing the role of a young male like Shinji is not a man, but a woman? Men only make boys sound like, well, men. Women are capable of doing a much more convincing job.

Not that the average American voice actor has much talent compared to the average Japanese voice actor -- but I digress.
rarirurero

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman, so I doubt it is a completely foreign concept.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
CFF_Fan wrote:
When will American companies learn that the best people for the job when it comes to dubbing the role of a young male like Shinji is not a man, but a woman? Men only make boys sound like, well, men. Women are capable of doing a much more convincing job.

Not that the average American voice actor has much talent compared to the average Japanese voice actor -- but I digress.

Um, you are aware that most male anime character under a certain age are voiced by women in English dubs, right? There are exceptions, but generally speaking a male character under the age of 13 or so is voiced by a female English VA about 90% of the time.

As for your last comment, there are plenty of American VAs out there who have every bit as much talent as your typical Japanese VA. The era where English dubs are routinely vastly inferior to their Japanese counterparts is over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Show me a woman that can do the Spencer Scream and I'll let her do Dub Shinji.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I hope they release Eva on Blu-Ray. I mean, if they're releasing Blue Gender on Blu-Ray which isn't even in high def in the first place then one would think It would be a nobrainer to release Eva on Blu-Ray. Hopefully they'll announce something soon.

Assuming Blue Gender was cell animated and recorded on film then the source isn't "standard def" either so can benefit from being remastered for HD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
If anyone doubts Tiffany Grant's fangirlism over Asuka, they obviously haven't seen this DVD extra.

Tristan MacAvery's absence shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who read Justin's Buried Garbage article about Panzer Dragoon:
Quote:
Dubbed half-heartedly by Tristan MacAvery (a guy who once directed a handful of ADV dubs before a rather bitter departure)

I just watched the NGE TV dub for the first time over the last couple of weeks. Although technically I didn't watch the dub as it was originally seen...I'd have to watch the old DVDs instead of the Platinums for that. As Matt Greenfield points out in the commentaries, NGE was only the second "long-form" TV series that ADV ever dubbed, after Blue Seed... and it shows. It was a listenable experience, and there certainly were some performances I enjoyed, mainly Spencer's, Keith's, Grant's, and Winn (Lee)'s. But given that the secondary characters were all over the map, I can't say I liked the dub overall. Greenfield's scripting is good, even great at times, but at other times the combination of the script and the performances drives things straight into Narmville. Like the spoiler[Shinji-Asuka] kiss in ep 15. One of my favorite "raw emotion" scenes in the series in Japanese, but it got degenerated by lines like "What, you afraid?" / "Heck no, pucker up!". Or there's spoiler[Ritsuko's] line to Gendo, "...not even when you make love to me!" which I'm pretty sure wasn't supposed to make me laugh.

So I'm glad to hear that some of the roles I liked best will stay the same, while most will be replaced by actors that haven't moved on from anime voice acting in the last decade. And move on they have; apparently the "first Toji" ran off and joined the circus, according to the commentaries. I found most of the DC recasts to be equal to or better than the originals, so these re-recasts should be another step in the right direction.

Re: Mike McFarland -- I guess Funi sees fit to give him their "flagship" shows like DBZ, One Piece, Case Closed, FMA, and now EVA 1.0. I liked the FMA dub through and through -- as someone who enjoyed the Fosterized and Moynihanned Orphen dubs, I don't mind a few extra comedic lines added here and there. I found no fault with Trinity Blood,* and his script work on Solty Rei was top-notch both for drama and comedy. So seeing his name attached to this project doesn't worry me at all.

*well, at least not the English dub of it, anyway.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Zalis116, please don't remind me of the Blue Seed dub.

Now that's painful to listen to. Especially when you have perfectly servicable performances by Megumi Hayashibara, Kotono Mitsuishi and Yoshiko Sakakibara in the Japanese cast that won't make your ears bleed like ADV's cast.

Again, another ADV dub I enjoyed the first time I heard it, but now when I hear it I shudder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
Spike and Allison are back; that is a surprise. I figured Spike was staying in LA and stuck with the Bandai/Viz spectrum of dubbing. But I guess if Vic can do the same...

The only recent thing Amanda Winn Lee has done voice work for was the Persona 4 game. Maybe she just stuck to doing games now.

It's going to be really weird hearing some of these new casts for the first time, but I'll get over it. Monica as Pen-Pen is forgiven. I'll have to wait to hear Brina's Rei; all I remember from her is her voicewok for Fuwmetaw Awchemist.

As for Spike coming back, Funimation, if there are ANY outtakes or commentaries featuring Spike Spencer, you damn well better include them in this release!
Taekmkm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Prime, the best preview you'll get for Brina is Hell Girl. She plays Ai, the komono-wearing reaper. Can't miss her, she's got the Rei tone.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised that they couldn't get everyone back, it's been awhile so chances are not all will be willing/able to come back for whatever reason. The minor characters casting is very acceptable. Sure it'll sound different, but it'll probably be better considering who has been cast. I really like the idea of Colleen as Ritsuko.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I'll have to wait to hear Brina's Rei; all I remember from her is her voicewok for Fuwmetaw Awchemist.

Ugh, her Nina was so unbearable.

Children do not sound like that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

As for Spike coming back, Funimation, if there are ANY outtakes or commentaries featuring Spike Spencer, you damn well better include them in this release!

I second this, having heard his commentary on Vol. 1 of EVA Platinum and Vol. 2 (though my memory might be off here) of Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. When Spike contributes to the extras, laugh-out-loudness ensues; indeed, I've wondered if he did stand-up comedy in a previous life. By contrast, his absence from the audio commentaries for Nadesico were a glaring omission IMHO.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

I second this, having heard his commentary on Vol. 1 of EVA Platinum and Vol. 2 (though my memory might be off here) of Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. When Spike contributes to the extras, laugh-out-loudness ensues; indeed, I've wondered if he did stand-up comedy in a previous life. By contrast, his absence from the audio commentaries for Nadesico were a glaring omission IMHO.

I know! I kinda wish he had his own show with Vic Mignonia(?) and Monica Rial.

I've also checked out his tv and radio commercials he's done for different things. He's has some excellent range. And I've heard how cool of a guy he is in person. Haven't seen him on the east coast yet.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Shwiggie wrote:

...Two points I had to laugh about:
1) Eh-va or E-va?...

In the first English dub, they pronounced it like "Aeh-va," pronouncing the E like an A. Then in the movies and director's cuts, they, for some reason, started saying 'ev-a,' which sounded really stupid to people trained to hear it the other way.

I really hope they go back to pronouncing it "Aeh-va." It sounds cooler.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Although I still have to question your comment about "at least they brought back Spike Spencer" like that guy's performance as Shinji was A) good in the first place or B) would still be good now, 10+ years later. The guy's past 40 at this point. I have nothing against him and he's done plenty of fine work in the past, but when do we stop hiring these people to voice angsty teens? Maybe there's someone out there who'd be better at voicing Shinji?

It's not "his" role in the eyes of anyone except those who just love that 90's ADV dub to death.

While I would agree it would be nice to see at least some of these characters should start receiving younger voice actors I'll point out that while Spike Spencer is over 40 as you say, since I don't know his age, anyone who's seen his recent stint on Bleach as Hanataro will know he can certainly still do his Shinji voice regardless of his current age as even though Hanataro is more whiny and comical than angsty the sound of the voice is still there. I'm looking forwards to it as I liked his original performance even if I liked some of the other characters in the show more like Tiffany Grant's Asuka, but we may also get an even better performance as dub direction from the voice directors has far improved giving us a much higher percentage of good dubs these days. Though if you thought he did a bad job I doubt this'll change you're mind since it's still the same character. Smile

Greed1914 wrote:
The minor characters casting is very acceptable. Sure it'll sound different, but it'll probably be better considering who has been cast. I really like the idea of Colleen as Ritsuko.

Yeah, I'm looking forward's to Colleen's Ritsuko now too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8