• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gamers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You don't need to be a saint to refrain from trying to poach someone already in a relationship.

You make it sound like they'd been living in holy matrimony for at least ten years with three kids and more in the making or something... Laughing They've been "dating" (whatever anime usually considers dating which doesn't seem a lot different from not-dating...) for a couple of weeks(?) at most.

Anyhow, it's kinda pointless to discuss something that might never happen and i'm not really emotionally invested enough in any of these characters, so i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanbot, are you just going to let Merida flame you like that? (...hee hee hee...)
Taifood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to understand why a character personified as perfection (Tendou) would fall so goddamn hard for a boy with extreme self esteem issues. Perhaps this is explained in the light novels later on? I doubt this show will get another season, as most shows without extreme fan service (sexual or action) get any love.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's over. Overall I did really like this show, but I'm a bit disappointed how the misunderstandings took over such a huge chunk of the show. The misunderstandings were funny at first, but they went on for too long so they just overstayed their welcome. Still, the show was a pleasant surprise.

P.S. Fighting game expert girl with big boobs and glasses-wearing FPS expert dude can rest in peace. They were forgotten.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I like how this episode was basically an ova, but it was a free ova becasue it came during broadcast and seance an ova is the anime equivalent to dlc it was essentially free dlc. I thought that was quite clever in an episode talking about the concept of dlc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought the finale blew. It had exactly one idea in it hammered over and over again: the negative side of gaming as seen through the eyes of a non-gamer. Hilarious. Ah, I'm being somewhat grouchy. I did find a fair chunk to like about this series - I mean, I watched it to the end and I wasn't hate-watching - but its flaws (as identified by Cam0 above) did grate on me. In addition to getting tired of "misunderstandings", I grew tired of Tendou's ridiculous attachment to Amano and the over all lack of development in any of the relationships. I mean, Amano and Tendou are in a relationship because they told us so, but I don't feel it. I would have like to have seen Tatsuko be more aggressive in trying to "woo back" Aguri if he really thought Amano was stealing her away. Oh well.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was an extended commentary on games with a bit of fanservice but it was a great way to end the season. I give credit to Gamers for knowing a lot about gaming which puts most other game based anime to shame. The show doesn't just cover relevant gaming topics but allows the different characters to give different opinions that are used in the real world. Aguri is a good stand in for the non-gamer asking general questions about games and the controversial nature of DLC. I think it was useful to have a non-gamer perspective in a game based anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked how Aguri had the role of non-gamer and made some good points about some problems one might find in gaming. Yet used it still as a springboard to say how in spite all of those things, gamers still enjoy it.

Never thought I would see a proposed clash of Terraformars, Ika Musume, and Seaman.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Reading the review and some of the comments, i agree that this might have been intended to be a form of meta-commentary on gaming and the show itself, but it was still pretty tedious to watch...Misumi's rather unexpected backstory was more fun.

Overall this show could have been a lot better if it kept the balance of gaming and romance from the first couple of episodes. I would actually watch a sequel that focused on the gaming club for example, but i really don't need another season of "misunderstandings"...
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Overall, this series and this finale were fun, but I do think it ran out of steam around Chiaki's realization. And while she did have some purpose, Konoha ultimately didn't add THAT much to the show. The misunderstandings got old after a while; they should've used that time to really establish the Karen x Keita relationship beyond the few moments we had.

Still, it was a fun little show, and I wouldn't mind a second season of these dorks. I'd give it a solid 7/10.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This was a surprise show for me this season, and I liked it a lot more than I would have anticipated. I am not particularly fond of the final episode or some of the issues throughout the series, but overall, I enjoyed the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gina Szanbot, are you just going to let Merida flame you like that? (...hee hee hee...)

I didn't see it as a flame, and I wasn't invested enough in the issue either. Smile

I really liked the opening of this episode, and I enjoyed the commentary, even though I'm not a gamer. What I liked most though were the brief moments between Aguri & Tasuku and Karen & Keita where they got to openly show how they felt about each other without all the misunderstanding baggage getting in the way. That was sweet.

I even thought the onsen fan service part started out funny, but it went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Overall I enjoyed it and would probably watch another season, but I won't miss it much while it's gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7