• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ugh, you're always just super ripe for the most thoughtful conversation... Rolling Eyes
It's always, 'lets just disagree with everything everyone else says and look at things in the most simplistic manner while being as confrontational as possible'. Can you not, please?

Space Brothers aired in the middle of the day on weekends. It was a mainstream series, and had plenty of viewers from all age groups. The narrative is simplistic enough that it seems quite clear it was intended to be accessible to children/teens. Also notable is the inclusion of Japanese subtitles in the official OP and ED with furigana. Something that is pretty exclusive to shows aimed, at least in part, at teens and children.
If you think the target audience for something is entirely tied to the vague and archaic magazine demographic that it runs in, you have much to learn.

The anime series may have branched out to a more general audience, but the source material stays.

Right, a "vague and archaic magazine demographic..." Have you even seen a seinen manga anthology magazine outside of the actual manga? Alas to be fair, as print media continues to decline, such boundaries between demographics are fading.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japan companies even mostly ignore domestic "grannies" that complain about anime.
Any show that have too much fanservice are put in a time schedule and have enough censor that make difficult for people to complain.
So It will be very difficult for fanservice shows to change because of a few western complains.

I wouldn't call it ignoring when networks move shows to later timeslots because parental watchdogs arbitrarily pick on something. Still, I can't remember the last time they did here in the West. It's usually over genuinely degenerate crap that happens live.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

Right, a "vague and archaic magazine demographic..." Have you even seen a seinen manga anthology magazine outside of the actual manga? Alas to be fair, as print media continues to decline, such boundaries between demographics are fading.

Yes, I read manga in Japanese on a regular basis to study the language. 青年(seinen) is as broad as any other demographic these days. Pretty much anyone between the age of 12-32 could more or less be included as the target for seinen, as the actual term literally just means "green years" and as you would expect means vaguely someone who is young.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japan companies even mostly ignore domestic "grannies" that complain about anime.
Any show that have too much fanservice are put in a time schedule and have enough censor that make difficult for people to complain.
So It will be very difficult for fanservice shows to change because of a few western complains.

I wouldn't call it ignoring when networks move shows to later timeslots because parental watchdogs arbitrarily pick on something. Still, I can't remember the last time they did here in the West. It's usually over genuinely degenerate crap that happens live.

I was talking about the anime production companies. TV networks are more sensible to pressure, so they change the schedule. But most, if not all fan-service heavy shows are is late night time-slots.

Very few times the anime was changed because of parental watchdogs. I only remember small changes of the ending sequence of PriPara, but not in the anime episodes.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
You do know that 30% of adults with guns it's still a lot and that excluding illegal ownership. In my country the percentage is more like 1% more or less and we are only 12 million.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Guile"]

It depends which country in Europe we are talking about. Some countries are more dangerous than others. I would advise against visiting the UK, Sweden, Belgium, and France the most.

....Yeah in spite of the spate of terrorist attacks those places aren't anymore dangerous for tourists than others where terrorism does thrive like parts of Africa and the middle east or places that don't like India or North Korea.

Chrono1000 wrote:
The fact it didn't get a dub with said contention I recall was my point why it failed.
I think Space Brothers being a 99 episode show about astronaut training was the biggest reason it didn't get a dub.

If episode length and tackling subjects of dubious quality was a requisite for not dubbing an anime I can think of quite a few anime some companies would've never taken a chance on.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
In Japan that is true but I was thinking more about Western companies that dub anime. The effort to demonize male sexual desire has become big in recent years and soon enough I think we will see targeted campaigns to try to get Western companies to stop releasing fanservice shows.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If episode length and tackling subjects of dubious quality was a requisite for not dubbing an anime I can think of quite a few anime some companies would've never taken a chance on.
Space Brothers was a 99 episode slow paced drama about adults training to be astronauts which didn't have action, cute girls, or fanservice. I thought that Space Brothers was a great show but I am not surprised that it didn't get a dub especially as home video sales continue to decrease. Shirobako didn't get a dub and that was only a 26 episode show that in my opinion would have had a larger market.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
In Japan that is true but I was thinking more about Western companies that dub anime. The effort to demonize male sexual desire has become big in recent years and soon enough I think we will see targeted campaigns to try to get Western companies to stop releasing fanservice shows..

Yuck, we don't need an "Animegate," especially during the current boom!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
In Japan that is true but I was thinking more about Western companies that dub anime. The effort to demonize male sexual desire has become big in recent years and soon enough I think we will see targeted campaigns to try to get Western companies to stop releasing fanservice shows..

I doubt there will be any kind of campaign against anime because what we have atm is not a campaign to demonize male sexual desire, but to penalize sexual abuse of females at the hands of males. So unless we are talking about hentai anime (which is not streamed anywhere legally or illegally afaik), TV series with heavy fanservice for heterosexual males very rarely have what can be called female abuse at the hands of males (quite often you have the exact opposite played for laughs), the closest I can think of was Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (2012) and it bombed in disc sales and we haven't had anything similar ever since
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

I doubt there will be any kind of campaign against anime because what we have atm is not a campaign to demonize male sexual desire, but to penalize sexual abuse of females at the hands of males. So unless we are talking about hentai anime (which is not streamed anywhere legally or illegally afaik), TV series with heavy fanservice for heterosexual males very rarely have what can be called female abuse at the hands of males (quite often you have the exact opposite played for laughs), the closest I can think of was Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (2012) and it bombed in disc sales and we haven't had anything similar ever since

Ah, I watched that steaming pile recently this year just to see how bad it really was, big mistake. And I'm actually wondering why Funimation even bothered to dub that travesty.
icelava

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Always a bad idea to believe one can learn about another country, nation, or culture via its exported entertainment media. Heck, even documentaries can get them wrong.

Also a bad idea to believe that simply by having a single friend born and raised in that land is going to provide you with profound insight into their history and culture. It's a good starting point, but be ready to take whatever s/he has to say with a pinch of salt, lest you be surprised by contradictory reports from another native.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
In Japan that is true but I was thinking more about Western companies that dub anime. The effort to demonize male sexual desire has become big in recent years and soon enough I think we will see targeted campaigns to try to get Western companies to stop releasing fanservice shows.

The reasons we've seen shows gravitate to more and more fanservice concepts is that the more that mainstream Japanese society tried to demonize and shun anime, the more that anime retreated to its own underground--
The fans and the industry basically rebelled and said "If I'm a 'worthless shut-in staying home and watching my idols and monster-girls', well, I'll WATCH 'em, so there! Razz "
Which pretty well trivialized the "grannies" complaining about nasty oversexualized designs in anime shows and OP's, into "Well, they didn't make them for you, actually!" (To quote the Frank N. Furter-ism.)

So, the "grannies" have struck back and changed their strategy: They now lie in wait for anime to invade THEIR turf--like the cute moe-girl mascot for a government or industry program--and then go into great bursts of social righteousness of how insulting and sexist and lolicon the image is, and how this proves that anime will lead to Deviant Delinquency, and target their message to other mainstream non-watchers on the outside who are inexperienced enough to believe them.
Which is why they're also frustrated when they can't export the "Anime Causes Deviancy" message to target the, quote-fingers, "clueless" West who "don't know" how dangerous anime is, and shut that market off to finish off anime once and for all, because we're smart enough to side with the rebel fans, but just not feel as persecuted about it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
As far as I know, the only one pulling major bullcrap with those shows is Funimation, which apparently forgot that people don't watch anime to hear domestic virtue signalling. Everybody else couldn't survive pulling that sort of stunt.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Which is why they're also frustrated when they can't export the "Anime Causes Deviancy" message to target the, quote-fingers, "clueless" West who "don't know" how dangerous anime is, and shut that market off to finish off anime once and for all, because we're smart enough to side with the rebel fans, but just not feel as persecuted about it.
I think the vast majority of anime fans are against censorship and that it is a tiny but vocal group that are for it. The type that complain about fanservice in Gurren Lagann but will than talk about how Free is a great show. If it was just them complaining about fanservice and how they are offended by the male gaze than it wouldn't matter but I have the suspicion that some people inside the dub companies would support censorship as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
In fact as mentioned, people from other cultures can get the wrong idea about Americans too. And this is also a result of American TV shows and Hollywood films that often portray stereotypes or exaggerations of their own nation.

One impression I've heard is that many non-Americans think of the United States as one-third New York City, one-third trailer park, and one-third Wild West. Looking at the most common settings for fiction set in the United States, it sounds about right.

edmg7 wrote:
More on topic, I'm not too surprised that some Americans assume anime is like Japan (though I see plenty of people who know better) because of how any culture relates to their television shows. Just looking at American shows I watch I see plenty of realism even in the more comically ridiculous shows, but I know what is fake because I live in America. When you live in another culture it is a bit harder to discern what is accurate to life as depicted in the media of another culture.

Huh, never really thought of that. That's a very good point. We know what's depicted normally, what's exaggerated, and what's just plain fantasy in our TV because we know our own country's culture well, but it can be harder to perceive from someone in another country especially if that depiction isn't obviously fantastic (like giant robots or mythological creatures).

Jonny Mendes wrote:
From my experience, one of the best windows to look at what Japan is and about the culture of the country is NHK World TV channel.
They have lots of programs and documentaries that take us inside of the daily life of Japanese people.

There are many preconceptions about Japan that are very different in real life. From my visits to Japan i can say that NHK programs are a very accurate portrait of what is life in Japan.

We used to have a less-than-organized Echostar satellite TV service in which you'd manually search for satellites (though the dish would remember its geostationary location), and we found one with several Japanese stations. No one in the house knew any Japanese so they didn't really make sense to me, but it was pretty interesting to observe normal Japanese life looking at Japanese news and various non-fiction programs.

In the 90's, they were way ahead of us in sensationalist, totally scripted reality television.

Scalfin wrote:
I think another factor is that the US doesn't have the same Anime's extreme-niche industry framework as Japan, so it's easy to think of the shows as at least mass-media enough to be aired at an hour people actually watch, and values naturalism much more than Japanese media seems to, so that there's not much of a difference between how English is spoken on the screen and in person other than the elimination of regionalism. As such, we kind of expect the series presenting themselves as relatable normalcy and the characters talking about how normal and unremarkable they are to represent Japanese perceptions of normalcy.

It's pretty much a consequence of anime being the one major Japanese cultural export. It's easy to get the impression that in Japan, TV stations show anime all day long if that's the only kind of Japanese TV programming you know about.

I've heard some cringey stories of anime fans getting to do foreign exchange programs with people in Japan and assuming, upon arriving there, that everyone must be an anime fan in the way any given American at that time could be assumed to be a fan of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, or something or other.

relyat08 wrote:
Not to mention, traveling to most countries outside of the US requires a pretty pricey plane ticket, whereas people in Most other countries, especially anywhere in Europe, can pretty easily drive to multiple countries within several hours, or less.
You can go to Canada or Mexico easily enough from some States, but the majority of people in the US are going to need to fly to any country they want to visit. Going to Europe for a Summer holiday cost me $2000 just for the plane ticket(and while that was more expensive than normal, it's still usually somewhere around the $1k range)! It's easy to see why one might rather spend a few hundred dollars and make it to the nearest domestic vacation spot(like you said, the country is BIG and you can literally get about any kind of environment you want)

Well, you could also go by boat, but it'll take a while.

But yeah, you're right--there is a lot of travel to Canada and Mexico as well, and I think the rules are somewhat more lenient if you're traveling to these two countries and not going far beyond the borders (like the huge amount of people in San Diego who head down to Tijuana or the people in Seattle who head up to Vancouver).

epicwizard wrote:
Indeed! Want to eat Japanese sweets, such as dorayaki, castella, or imagawayaki? Unless you live in an area that has an international supermarket, good luck with that.

There was an unsuccessful push to sell dorayaki across North America as part of the marketing campaign to bring Doraemon here. As the show didn't quite work out, neither did the dorayaki aspect, which only really got as far as the west coast.

The Doraemon dorayaki tasted pretty stale too, even in comparison to other prepackaged dorayaki. But I got some English-language Doraemon stickers, one of which is attached to this computer I'm using. We may never get Doraemon merchandise in English ever again... (Well, I'm guessing those still exist in places like Singapore and Indonesia where English is widely spoken and understood.)

Dandylion wrote:
Videogames anyone ??? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Aside from Nintendo, SEGA, and to a lesser extent Capcom, Japan's presence in video games in the west has been rapidly diminishing, even more so due to their great difficulty in making headway onto the mobile scene (Monster Strike is the only Japanese mobile game I can think of that didn't completely flop in the west). Many people are still unaware that these are Japanese companies, as was brought up in the article alongside Sony and Toyota.

(Technically, SEGA began as an American company, but the Japanese took to SEGA's products like no other and they moved their headquarters to Japan.)

Codeanime93 wrote:
But no I hope no one watches Initial D and thinks that some gas station attendants and workers in Japan work in secret street racing teams.

Or Ben-To which has teenagers and college students brawling in grocery stores over bento meals.

Or take Japanese history lessons from Sengoku Basara.

While I'm sure few people believe the other examples, late-night street racing IS big enough in the United States (and apparently in China, considering the popularity of the Fast and Furious movies there) that I'msure some see it as an accurate portrayal.

As a matter of fact, I've met people who pretty much live (well, lived) the Initial D life, with ordinary menial jobs in the day but super-modified cars they race in at night. When you've worked for a few years at a place where people go to do community service after getting in trouble with the Highway Patrol, you eventually find a few of these guys.

digitalninja wrote:
For example I saw that the chinese movie "mermaid" was critically acclaimed and I simply couldnt get the sense of humor. Same with some japanese shows ... I have seen Gintama is rated incredibly high by viewers but I cant get past the first few episodes. What if what all Japanese people learned about the west was from The A Team or Dukes of Hazzard =P.

Can't say much about Mermaid, but the humor in Gin Tama is largely satirical and parodical. You need to know a lot about Japanese culture and current events in order to fully understand them, and it can be pretty subtle sometimes in Gin Tama.

Rather than The A Team or The Dukes of Hazzard, I'd say it's closer to The Simpsons or Freakazoid!, neither of which caught on at all in Asia because the humor in these shows is incomprehensive to them (except for isolated pockets of Americanophiles who DO know enough to get the jokes). Episodes like "Whacking Day" for the former or "Supernerd" for the latter would make no sense without knowing the necessary aspects of American culture.

EricJ2 wrote:
There's the "Foreign dream" that All Good West is Europe, and All Europe Is France, where everyone wears Victorian dresses and parasols and sips coffee...

Not to mention the Japanese (and Korean) obsession with French bakeries, more specifically patisseries. What's up with that? It's always genuinely confused me about why THAT is popular out of proportion with anything else related to France.

CandisWhite wrote:
Yeah, a large immigrant population means we have a lot of people going to old country to see family but immigrants love to travel elsewhere, too; Many immigrants to Canada now have the sort of money they've never had before and travel is high on many people's list of things to spend that on.

A large immigrant population (and this applies equally to Canada and the United States) also means there'd be less travel abroad for the non-immigrant population as you can experience their food and other traditions without having to leave the country. It won't be the same as actually GOING to those countries, but certainly, I don't have to travel far to get some good doner kebab or shumai.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
It doesn't help that US media always focuses on any Americans that happen to be caught up in such things. If none are available, then it has to be a really big deal to even get coverage at all. The media apparently (perhaps rightly, I'm sad to admit) thinks that Americans just don't want to hear about anything happening outside the US unless other Americans are directly involved.

The same goes for other countries too (though perhaps not to as great an extent as the US): UK coverage for 9/11, for instance, became a lot bigger once they learned there were deaths of British people in the incident.

yuna49 wrote:
I once had dinner in Scotland in the 1970s and was seated at a table with a nice young English couple from the London suburbs. The wife wondered how we could stand living in America since it was all so dark and grimy, which especially surprised my then-wife who was from Nebraska. Turns out the American crime series Kojak was being aired in Britain, and the English lady concluded all of the United States must look like the dark, dank New York City portrayed in that show. Guess she never saw The Rockford Files (southern California) or Hawaii Five-O.

or any other TV shows set in the United States? Then again, the UK does produce a LOT of domestic programming enough that they wouldn't really need a lot of shows from other countries to fill up their schedules. Still, the dark, grimy look makes up a minority of the shows, and it's only for shows of that particular mood.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This kind of thing has been a massive problem in Japanese culture for a long while. However, there have been some recent shows that have shown African-descended characters in a better light. Sword Art Online was very positive with that with the character Agil, and I give the show a lot of credit for going out of its way to have such a positive example, even if he was a relatively minor character (all the men other than Kirito are, for obvious reasons.) There have been some others in recent times, but unfortunately the heavily stereotyped black character is still a part of anime. So yea, I don't think the Japanese reader can really claim that America is much worse when it comes to stereotypes from media.

Hunter X Hunter has a bunch of black people among its characters (Bopobo, Rodriot, Abengane, Highland, Balsamilco, and I'm sure some others I can't recall at the moment), who are quite diverse in appearance and behavior, and none of them have the blackface look that has been so prevalent in anime.

Chrno2 wrote:
Well, can understand that was the case years ago. I mean even today there are people that garner assumptions based on word of mouth or someone's perception. But in this day and age and with the advancement of social media there isn't much of an excuse. Because there are tons of vlogs, channels and sites that at least give people a "somewhat" concrete view of fantasy Japan and RL Japan. But the key to understanding is to gain multiple views. For example who is more knowledgeable of the country a person who lives there or a foreigner (regardless of race) who's lived there for years? It's easy to go with the native person because it's their experience as a native, but a foreigner can do just as well of a job if he's versed enough in a particular topic. But natives know more. And even their views can be deconstructed by someone who's a native. After awhile it all starts becoming subjective.

The way I see it, you really start learning about your own culture once you're exposed to a lot of some other place's culture and you discover differences between your culture and theirs. Without a frame of reference, there may be atypical, unusual things about your culture you wind up taking for granted and not even considering that other people might see and do things differently.

One example is the question of how much food you are expected to leave on your plate when dining as a guest. In some cultures, such as that of the United States, it's polite to eat it all and leave only crumbs, sauce, and inedible portions (like shrimp tails), as to do so otherwise is to suggest the host is a bad cook and that you're wasteful with food. You might not realize that it's not something universally seen as polite until you go to China and the host might give you dirty looks for cleaning your plate because it's polite to leave chunks of uneaten food in some parts, as to eat it all up suggests the host is too poor to meet your appetite.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japan is not obsessed is separating things for age groups or sexes.

Been "kodomo" "shonen" "seinen" "shoujo" "Josei" is more a guide line of target audience than a define line that separate audiences.

Japan DOES have a pretty rigid concept of maturity and immaturity though, in which people are looked down for openly enjoying something intended for younger age groups. There are some franchises that cross age boundaries, but they tend to be old enough that the origial fans have grown up while bringing in younger fans.

I mean, the general mainstream impression of otaku is one of immaturity, for instance.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
^^If I may be allowed to say this, holy cheese! The post above me has got to be the longest I’ve ever seen and read in the 3 years I’ve been using this site. Wow, that’s a lot of words. I’m impressed.

As for this topic, all I really have to say is that anime has taught me about certain things that happen in Japan and as a result, it caused me to want to know more about it since I had a feeling that anime wasn’t going to give me the whole picture of an intriguing country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8