• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Record of Grancrest War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:11 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up with the last 3 episodes. I'm not sure what to think about Alexis' battle painting. On one hand it was kind of a neat idea, until they showed us that the formations on the actual field looked like "Starry Night." Also his "Gently, gently..." punctuated with decapitations and other gore was just weird. Is Alexis supposed to be a love-struck battle genius or a depraved madman?

And they knew he must be Erik because...oceans of blood pouring from his body? Seemed a bit hyperbolic with the red tide there.

Then the resolution to the war. Oh dear. All this death and destruction because, "I'm not permitted to be happy," is like the ultimate in emo self-indulgence. I still want her head on a pike.

But ok, they've figured out how they're going to make the Grancrest. So what are they waiting for!? Does the entire realm have to assemble to witness it or something? Just exchange vows there on the hilltop (Grail Girl can officiate), repair to the tent to consummate it, give Theo your crests and then announce it to the Mage Academy on blast. Why would they warn them, "Hey, evil dudes! We're about to make this Grancrest thingy, so speak now or forever hold your peace, yeah?"

Not only that, but after they all agreed to go fight the Academy, they let the mages who are still loyal to them leave, just in case there wasn't a spy who could fill them in on their plans, I guess?

I thought maybe watching this in a small batch would make it make more sense, but nope.

Quote:
Aishela must be really good at hiding her true intentions, because I never saw this coming

I dunno, she's been sending signals every time she's been around almost. Especially her interactions with the Black Witch. I didn't know she was actually a full-blown spy, but it was obvious something was up with her, so I wasn't shocked! at the reveal.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
When Siluca dozed off there was a voice telling her to wake up. I think that was Siluca's father's voice. What was that about? Was Siluca's father trying to warn her? So did daddy know that Aishila was going to assassinate Siluca? We don't see or hear about daddy mage after that so there's no confirmation for what that was about. Since it was Aishila's voice that ultimately woke Siluca up and no confirmation about the other voice, it (daddy's voice) felt like a weirdly pointless thing in the end.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
I thought she was dreaming the actual words being spoken in first her father's voice saying her name, then it sounded like Theo saying "wake up," because as she woke, they were spoken by a female voice, which I think was Aishela's calling her outside. Even that sounded like two different female voices, like first Priscilla's (?), then finally Aishela's. So I think it was the series' idea of blending her dreaming state with waking.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I agree about Theo's voice being in there. All of the male voices sound like the same dude to me. But otherwise I guess that make sense. You can see like a star-filled night sky through Siluca which I interpreted as daddy mage using magic to communicate with Siluca. But I guess that could be Siluca's dreaming state being visualized or something. And come to think of it, I think they said that destroying the wands made them unable to use magic telepathy. So I trust your interpretation more than mine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Unless Daddy didn't destroy his... dun dun DUN!!!
(he actually wasn't among the circle of mages that broke theirs together)
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
Quote:
Not one person takes this threat to Siluca's life seriously. Theo literally welcomes them all to chat about what just happened inside his tent! (Keep in mind this is before he knows that she failed on purpose.)

Did you miss the part where Theo said he didn't want to cause a massive ruckus in the middle of the night, and then they tied Aishela up to interrogate her? I think the way Theo handled it is honestly very measured and mature, not underselling the seriousness of the issue. If they started making noise, what exactly would that accomplish? At best you'd have a peanut gallery. At worst you might alert any accomplices Aishela might have, since she just admitted to having been a spy from the beginning.

Yeah that's been happening a lot lately, it seems the reviewer just isn't paying attention at all. And it's not like Grancrest has a ton of subtext, the dialogue is pretty cut and dry.

With them apprehending Aishela, she's been 100% loyal and fawning over Siluca from the start so they're probably more confused than anything. Plus she stops trying after her single knife swing.
And the spying. The Mage Academy probably hasn't cared about Theo and Siluca until they became serious contenders for creating the Grancrest. So if she's really been (unwillingly) spying from the beginning, it's likely been only enough info to keep them from stopping her heart. I'm guessing that now the situation is dire Aishela was ordered to kill or die.

The reviewer also completely missed what Aishela said about joining Pandora, that it was for misfits, dropouts, etc. I thought it was pretty obviously implying Aishela dropped out of the mage academy, maybe over the controversy with Siluca, maybe not. Either way I figure if Siluca and Mr. Smiles are her adopted family she probably had no one else to rely on and eventually fell in with Pandora out of desperation. I really don't think these things are hard to extrapolate if you pay attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ep 22,

Uh, was it really necessary for Priscilla to die? Assassin butler was ready to save her and she had already convinced the people she was the holy grail, the pope even had to pretend to accept her to stab her in the back. Or can they only use the holy grail after she dies?

And why did they let the ringleader guy go? Siluca says "Even if we kill him, nothing will change." Well, they could have captured him and interrogated him for information, just stopping him from escaping prevents him from warning the enemy about what happened and possibly manipulating more people. Assassin butler could have stopped him in about 2 seconds, it would have required zero effort.

And I didn't even know this order of the crest existed up until now. Have they been mentioned before? It felt like they were brought up just to fill another episode with some random other opponent to be overcome before getting to the final fight.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
And I didn't even know this order of the crest existed up until now. Have they been mentioned before? It felt like they were brought up just to fill another episode with some random other opponent to be overcome before getting to the final fight.

Yeah, since at least episode 3, in conjunction with Priscilla's introduction and the Grail that is an important part of their faith.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 22,

Uh, was it really necessary for Priscilla to die?

I think it was, since it was the only way to convince everyone for good and all that she was the real deal when her crest didn't become a Chaos core upon her death. That was something no one could argue against, not even the pope. And that's the sort of miracle that has legs, so word will spread fast.

But I agree about letting the slimeball go. Same as when they let all the loyalists leave their camp before. Have these people never heard of prisoners of war? Even though Siluca is probably right that it wouldn't change anything, at least plans-wise, he's too dangerous to let run loose.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But I agree about letting the slimeball go. Same as when they let all the loyalists leave their camp before. Have these people never heard of prisoners of war? Even though Siluca is probably right that it wouldn't change anything, at least plans-wise, he's too dangerous to let run loose.

Theo letting those mages/loyalists go seemed like the kind of honourable and respectful thing to do since those mages/loyalists fought alongside Theo (or Marrine) prior to that (I think?). Maybe not the smartest thing to do strategically, but honour and all that is important to Theo. Of course, Theo might end up having to fight against those same people.

I agree about the Pandora dude or whoever he was though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
^ He could've detained them without treating them badly. Like a house arrest sort of deal - all the comforts of your tent, but you can't leave until we win, sorry. Smile

Quote:
On any more developed character, her wild eyes would indicate malice, or madness, or at least hint that she's being possessed, but in Grancrest War that seems to just be what Priscilla looks like.

But her eyes were different when she was summoning her crest and when she healed people. So I always figured she was possessed by holiness or something at those times.

Quote:
people will believe Priscilla was a fake because her crest will do what every crest does. Then, when the crest does not disseminate, that's somehow proof that Priscilla really was a holy maiden. Huh. Villar's crest disseminated; does that mean he wasn't a real Lord?

Aw, now you're just being deliberately obtuse (not that I don't share your frustration). Smile You answered your own question. Every normal crest becomes a Chaos core on death of its wielder, and hers being the sole exception was proof of her holiness. Grail Girls and Lords are held to different standards. It's always been thus - whadaya gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ He could've detained them without treating them badly. Like a house arrest sort of deal - all the comforts of your tent, but you can't leave until we win, sorry. Smile

Detaining them without treating them badly is quite respectful, but I guess Theo wants to aim a bit higher on the respect scale. Now if they meet again in the battlefield, they can... kill each other without any regrets. Hmm.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I think "Theo always does the honorable thing." has been a theme for sure, but it very rarely seems to also involve thinking or strategy, and generally just comes off as driving the plot forward in a weird, surreal direction so that Theo can look like a 'good guy.'

I'm still somehow enjoying this show, but it certainly ain't because it has given a lot've thought to how its characters are behaving, how the factions in its world interact, or because the ideas it frames as virtuous are at all compelling. I think it's mostly because I'm a sucker for even mediocre execution on standard fantasy tropes.

I wish we could fast-forward to the Grancrest being formed and some smashing of the demon-king and mage-baddies or whoever is the evil faction currently. Or maybe the demon-king utterly smashing & mashing Theo et al, which I think I'd actually prefer and find hilariously surprising.

Actually, holy shit, I would fall in love with the ending of this show if the demon-king turned out to be the only creature in the show that cares at all about the common people, if the reign of chaos was only brought about to render all people equally vulnerable and frail but was subverted by the lords' through the crests to their advantage, and if the demon-king in his anger at this subversion murder-annihilates Theo and gang for treating love between nobles as more important than the slaughter of millions of their people to clumsily stumble after that love. Demon-king for president! (too soon?)

In any event, I need some more high-fantasy action in this show, pronto.
Demon's Dream

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think "Theo always does the honorable thing." has been a theme for sure, but it very rarely seems to also involve thinking or strategy, and generally just comes off as driving the plot forward in a weird, surreal direction so that Theo can look like a 'good guy.'

That's been one of my biggest issues with this series. For everything that's happening, many of the characters, even this late in the series, are just there to fill in the standard character types with little to no personality of their own. There's little to no resolution to anything, and at least once per episode, I have to ask my husband why they're fighting [insert name here] again.

While Priscilla has a major plot point in the story, she only shows up once every few episodes when someone needs healing because she's the 'cleric'. Her plot point was a side thought, like we're still writing the series as it was getting produced.

For me, this series has just been a dumpster fire. There's been, maybe, three episodes that I've truly enjoyed. I miss Villar and Mirza. At least they had conviction. I can't say the same for anyone that's left.
dharlow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Theo letting those mages/loyalists go seemed like the kind of honourable and respectful thing to do since those mages/loyalists fought alongside Theo (or Marrine) prior to that (I think?). Maybe not the smartest thing to do strategically, but honour and all that is important to Theo. Of course, Theo might end up having to fight against those same people.

I agree about the Pandora dude or whoever he was though.

They will only kill peons or other mages so it wont matter (where is my dripping sarcasm emo when I need it). Theo will never be in danger from any of those "loyalists" he released. I suppose you could chalk it up to his ignorance at being a leader, even though we are led to believe he is a great one. A good commander would never have released them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10